REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #25076
The RS Anchorman

Canucks fan selling Roberto Luongo on Craigslist

Even before the Vancouver Canucks’ NHL playoff run officially ended with a loss Tuesday night, a dejected fan had placed goalie Roberto Luongo up for sale on Craigslist.

“Sulking, belligerent and grossly over-rated goaltender who can’t stop a beach ball, seeks new gig,” reads a notice posted on the classifieds website at 8:47 p.m. local time.

That was just as Game 6 in the Canucks’ second-round series with Chicago wound down, ending in a 5-1 loss.

The “job wanted” ad was posted with the headline “Goalie will play for pasta, hair gel and US$7.5-million,” and left no doubt about who this fan blamed for the Canucks’ performance Tuesday.

“I promise to be the same self-absorbed bad team guy I have always been. Pay me my $7.5 M annual salary no matter how bad I play,” it read.

“You can still reach me on my hotline: Louie 1-555-SUCK.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...on-craigslist/
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #25077
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

LU, should give up the C, as much as I love LU I just think its too much for him to handle
Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #25078
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Team Canada's World Championship roster is too young and too weak. I don't expect them to even medal especially if they lost 4-1 to Switzerland who only has 2 EX-NHLers in Gerber and Stephan.

Dwayne Roloson, Steve Mason, Marty Turco, Cam Ward, Mike Smith, Manny Legace, JS Giguere and I'm sure there are many other goaltenders who were available prior to the start of the playoffs that I would choose over Chris Mason and Chad Johnson. Johnson's a rookie who only played 5 games this year, it's too risky to play a guy like this.

Mark Messier is going to look like a fool for omitting lots of star players from this lineup. Sure there might be guys who are looking to recover from the long NHL season or have personal issues they need to take care of and have decided not to play (ex. Getzlaf) but I'm sure the majority of Canada's star players would play if given the call.

I also don't understand why Team Canada would want dirty plugs like Steve Ott or Steve Downie representing them. Sure they've both represented Team Canada in the past but whenever they put on the Canadian sweater all Canadians just turn a blind eye to their antics. When they do the same things with their NHL clubs everybody is outraged. If Team Canada wanted an effective agitator who can actually play they should've taken Sean Avery instead.

Also, Martin St. Louis, Brad Richards, Mike Green, Eric Staal, Lecavalier, Iginla, Rick Nash, Stephen Weiss, where are all these guys?
denied invitation, just like crosby did.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #25079
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhDang View Post
Rushing players into the NHL is a bad idea. I remember stamkos first year and he fucken blew it because there were so much expectations + pressure. When he got sent to minors and came back 50 goal scorer!
are you sure he got sent to the minors? he just didnt play well under melrose because the coach didnt think he was ready and limited stamkos to less than 10 minutes per game many times during his tenure as coach. once the new coach was brought in, stamkos thrived and finished with nearly a point per game in his last 20 games of his rookie season.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #25080
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
Old 05-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #25081
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,269 Times in 1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
denied invitation, just like crosby did.
Is that true? What's the matter is Olympic gold the only thing worth playing for or did their wives shut them down lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #25082
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Is that true? What's the matter is Olympic gold the only thing worth playing for or did their wives shut them down lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Yup its true. The majority of North American NHLers honestly don't care much for the World Championships, its seen as a 3rd tier prize behind the Olympics and the Stanley Cup. It's also hard for them to get motivated to go play after a long tiring season and most would rather spend the time with family or on vacation or resting nagging injuries.

A lot of younger players and secondary players however jump at the chance to go because it might be their only opportunity to represent Canada and it also gets them in the good books with Hockey Canada.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #25083
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
The Carolina Hurricanes acquired Jared Staal yesterday from Phoenix for a 5th round pick, will they try to trade for Marc and Jordan now too?

Quote:
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Phoenix Coyotes have traded the rights to forward Jared Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes for a fifth-round pick in the upcoming NHL draft.

Staal had 12 goals and 37 assists in 59 games for Sudbury of the Ontario Hockey League this season. The 19-year-old has three brothers in the NHL, including Eric, who plays for Carolina. Staal was a second-round pick by the Coyotes in 2008.

Phoenix now has five picks in the draft, which will be June 25-26 in Los Angeles.

Jordan Staal plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins and Marc Staal for the New York Rangers.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #25084
Hyde's Understudy

^ parents must be proud in producing 4 NHL players, just wow!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #25085
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Damn, I thought sedin's parent were happy of their rich twins. Staal's parent must be balling to have 4 nhler childs
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #25086
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
A lot of younger players and secondary players however jump at the chance to go because it might be their only opportunity to represent Canada and it also gets them in the good books with Hockey Canada.
I was reading something where there was speculation that St. Louis denied them because he was kind of pissed he wasn't on the Olympic team since he has suited up for Team Canada pretty much anytime they have asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
Damn, I thought sedin's parent were happy of their rich twins. Staal's parent must be balling to have 4 nhler childs
Posted via RS Mobile
Let's wait till Jared makes it to the NHL first haha, could be career AHLer for all we know. Only brother not selected in the 1st round lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga250 View Post
lol, Canada's backup goalie is named Chad Johnson!??!

http://www.iihf.com/sk/channels10/ii...teams/can.html
Totally Messier helping out Slather and giving Chad some experience in the worlds. Stupid! Maybe its all the stigma from the Canucks-Messier years but I don't see him as a very good GM. Selling chips yes! GM no....

Last edited by Expresso; 05-14-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #25087
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga250 View Post
lol, Canada's backup goalie is named Chad Johnson!??!

http://www.iihf.com/sk/channels10/ii...teams/can.html
Yeah, he's a backup/minor leaguer for the Rangers. I don't think he wears number 85 though.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #25088
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Betcha can't eat just one
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #25089
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Let's wait till Jared makes it to the NHL first haha, could be career AHLer for all we know. Only brother not selected in the 1st round lol!
Exactly, he's only worth a 4th round pick right now...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #25090
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Man, Jordan Eberle, this kid is incredible... 4 pts in his first WC game..
Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #25091
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I was looking at upcoming FA this summer and boy.. would i want Holmstrom on our team! playoff experience.. and front of the net presence... the question is how much he would want..

May Samuelsson can convince him lols
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #25092
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

He will be 37 next year. Yes he does bring playoff experience but my question is how much does he have left on his tank. He has had some great runs with Det and he probably will stay in Det to finish his career. If he does choose to move, it would be great to see him here but not at >$3M. However, he is probably clutch like all other wings during the playoffs and thats what matters =)
Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #25093
Need to Seek Professional Help

Not canucks related, but must-share...

Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #25094
Fanboy

lol wut
Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #25095
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure.life View Post
He will be 37 next year. Yes he does bring playoff experience but my question is how much does he have left on his tank. He has had some great runs with Det and he probably will stay in Det to finish his career. If he does choose to move, it would be great to see him here but not at >$3M. However, he is probably clutch like all other wings during the playoffs and thats what matters =)
Well it's not like his primary role is an excersise of speed & agility more than it is of power.

Considering that we have either Daniel Sedin, Burrows, or at worst Bernier (in the 3rd line) as our goalie-screeners, Holmstrom (if acquired) would be a huge upgrade IMO compared to all 3 of our players that are currently assigned that role.

Hell, we'd finally get net prescence a step above Byfuglien and Luongo & co. wouldn't have to wait until the Chicago team gets victimized by the salary cap to finally beat them in the post season. Holmstrom would be a fine addition to our roster if at all feasible within our cap and our needs to replenish our D.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #25096
Need to Seek Professional Help

I don't know if ultimately the Canucks can beat the 'Hawks. They're younger and have more depth, especially at the blueline, whilst the Canucks are pretty much peaking right now.

The forwards aren't so much the problem; IMO there is a lack of youth in the blueline. I can't help but be a bit jealous seeing the Canucks struggle against the young studs on D in LA and Chi.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #25097
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
I'm looking at getting Hamhuis before getting anyone else.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #25098
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
I don't know if ultimately the Canucks can beat the 'Hawks. They're younger and have more depth, especially at the blueline, whilst the Canucks are pretty much peaking right now.

The forwards aren't so much the problem; IMO there is a lack of youth in the blueline. I can't help but be a bit jealous seeing the Canucks struggle against the young studs on D in LA and Chi.
It's been several days, but I maintain that the Canucks had a chance despite the injuries on the blue line because of poor coaching and special teams (which goes back to the assistants). If the Blackhawks play a team with any kind of a defensive system, they struggle. If they meet the Habs in the finals, mark my words, they will lose.

The loss of Luc Bourdon was in hindsight a big blow to the franchise. Building the defence will be something that Gillis and his scouts must address at the draft. LA and Chicago have studs because they sucked for several years. It's difficult for a Canadian team to tank for several years to build properly. And even once built, a team's window of opportunity is a 1-2 years because of younger free agency rules.

We also need a rookie or two to step-up next season, a la P.K. Subban of the Habs.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #25099
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
That's what seriously pisses me off about the Luongo discussion as of late. We're not exactly the same team and our strengths lie in different areas. However for 2 years in a row, their D has more than certainly made up for their goaltending, but our goaltending has nowhere near made up for our D.

It seems more true and true that from this point on, Roberto's performance will only go back to par should he somehow get his all-star cast defense, or if the team overhauls its game to an entirely defensive hockey a-la Minnesota Wild, 02/03 New Jersey Devils or 06/07 Canucks.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #25100
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I'm looking at getting Hamhuis before getting anyone else.
volchenkov
Closed Thread