REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #23826
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,523 Times in 5,742 Posts
^ if you can complain about any number it can be GAA

And as Stuff99 said RTS, thats great analysis you've got there comparing goalies which are completely unproven in regular season or on entry level contracts to a 10 year vet and 4th overall pick? Halak is like a 190th draft pick who had never been a full time starter till this year..

imo the nucks are a better team then they are showing right now but the matchup against the hawks is horrible, I always thought a DET or maybe even SJ might have been a better matchup for the nucks because the hawks basically did the exact same thing as last year with us playing basically the same or worse
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #23827
dL
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I'll enjoy the last game on Sunday, or Tuesday.

dL
Old 05-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #23828
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,204 Times in 2,282 Posts
Goalies and any player out of a draft is a crap shoot. Its tough to say how they will play. Henrik zetteberg or even pavol demitra. Demo was the last player drafted in his draft year, look at him in his prime
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #23829
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

win in chicago, win at home. and we have hope
Old 05-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #23830
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTS View Post
Yes, Luongo is cheap. I mean, look at the comparable remaining goalies:

Andrew Raycroft: $500K
Jaroslav Halak: $800K
Antti Niemi: $826K
Tuuka Rask: $850K
Jimmy Howard: $850K
Marc Andre Fleury: $3.5M

You guys wouldn't take ANY of those guys over Luongo along with another solid Dman?

Even IF Luongo was worth a $5.3M cap hit, he definitely IS NOT worth being our Captain.

Anyway, time to go party. Have fun dreaming during another off season.
What a stupid post.

The only proven starter is Fleury. His cap hit is 5M. He's a first round draft pick not some unknown UFA you can just pick up.
Rask: 3.2M cap hit.
If Halak becomes a consistent starter, you think his cap hit stays at $800K?

Halak, Niemi, Rask, Howard are ALL second choices cuz the other teams starters played themselves out of the job. Why aren't those goalies on your list?

Huet: He had a good year when he was younger.. fits your profile perfectly. Now Chicago's paying him $5.5M to sit on the bench.
Price: He was the Huet of 2005. Earned himself a 2.2M contract to sit on the bench.
Thomas: Vezina trophy winner on the bench. $5-6M.
Why don't you mention Boucher? He had a great round 1. What's he doing now?

For every $1M dollar goalie that gets on a hot streak, there's 50 that fail. And for every 1 that gets on a hot streak, there's 10 that become washed up soon after. You really want to gamble year to year on no name goalies? We can bring back skoudra, auld, irbe, or kevin weekes. Remember Garth Snow?

It's really easy to make picks after the fact. It's also totally useless. Hey, if I were GM, I'd go back in time and replace Luongo with Roy in his prime, Cam Ward of 2006, Ryan Miller of the Olympics, etc. That's some great fucking insight. I also think Fleury and Rask are basement bargains. Look how smart I am.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #23831

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Yeah but the canucks are one of those teams that you'd expect them to win the next game but they will actually lose 6-1 or something...

What Canucks need to do for next season:

Remove the C from Luongo... give the C to an actual fuckin player... much more I can say.
Get sold defence... I'd like to see Mitchell resigned...
Get bigger guys.... bring back Bertuzzi or some big power forwards/defence.

Aside from our players what pisses me off the most if fucking Alain Vigneault... get involved in the game and do something, not just stand aside you fucking pussy.

.... another season in the crapper.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #23832
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

I totally just argued with someone who thinks Raycroft should be a starter cause of his 6 game sample size + his Calder trophy on Facebook. He chalked up Avs and Leaf stats to playing behind a bad team.

Then, I realized I was the retard for arguing with a retard. I lose.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #23833
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,367 Posts
You trade Lu and you'll be looking for goalies for the next few years. We don't have any young goalies in the system that can be the next Rask, Varlamov or even Halak.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #23834
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTS View Post
Ok. When we win the Cup i'll let you know you are right.
if u've followed canucks games

we cant win a cup if our Defence relies on his goalie almost all the time
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #23835
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Anyone who is pinning the loss squarely on Luongo's shoulder needs to give their head a shake. Sure there were definitely some goals that could have been stopped but when the team infront of you is playing like shit there is not much a goalie can do no matter how good he is. Winning games or the Stanley Cup requires players to play as a team not for the goalie to stand on his head game in and game out.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #23836
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,915 Times in 5,296 Posts
^
I kinda agree, but Halak did it for Montreal, they played like ass against Washington.. getting outshot 50-16 and winning? That's not what I call a good team game... that's a goalie winning a game for his shitty team.

Luongo missed at least 3 goals tonight. We scored 4 goals even with that burden on our shoulders and all the pressure/depression/frustration that comes with being down. He makes those saves, we get a couple more goals buoyed by that confidence, and it's a 6-3 Canucks win
Old 05-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #23837
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,204 Times in 2,282 Posts
To pin the loss on luu isnt really hard to do. I'm a big fan of luongo even before he became a canuck. the truth is, he has not been the same since the injury last last season. Alot of people will not disagree with me as well.

the truth is, by pinning luongo isnt fair, especially during this series, becuz the shots wont get to luongo if the players in front play just a little bit better.

and mitzer said it right, Real winners win as a team. It's one of the biggest reasons that the caps were knocked out, not just HALAK who was a wall.

As for hte C, no player in the canucks dressing room really deserve this honor at the moment. I must say, the pressure is huge, its a reason why markov rejected the invite from the habs to have it pinned to the jersey. At the same time, no player needs a letter to represent their values. Trevor Linden wore the A during his 2nd run with the canucks, he didnt need to have the C to lead, he lead the team because he is a leader.

Jonathan Toews comes to mind, he might have the letter for te hawks, but im sure there is a collective group of leaders in that room, the canucks have this as well.

Luongo needs to relax on and off the ice. It helps mentally and physically to take a break on optional skates. No one is going to complain and no one is going to worry at the same time

Im gonna repeat what i said earlier as well. Drafting is a crap shoot, no one knows whats gonna happen with their selection. Patrick Stefan was a bust, and he went 1st overall. at the same time, guys like Demo and Zetteberg were late round picks. Its the same thing with goalies. drafting is just a stage in a players career. Playing for draft position is like an interview, how you perform at your job comes after. You earn it. All the goalies mentioned have earned their spot one way or another, it was NEVER about how much they make. I believe Annti Neimi was undrafted, correct me if I'm wrong
Old 05-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #23838
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,704 Posts
I'm way more disappointed in the team as a whole than just any individual player.
The team hasn't played to their max potential yet... but in all honesty,
Chicago's a much stronger team anyway, especially in the special teams department.
And that's all they really need to rely on at the moment.

Niemi's pretty decent in net, although he hasn't really been tested the way Luongo has.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 05-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #23839
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You can't blame the goaltender when they're hanging him out to dry on the PK. Everybody's been talking about Byfuglien crashing the net or poor officiating but it's been a shooting gallery every time the opposing team goes on the PP.

Mike Gillis must be shooting himself in the foot right now with how he handled the whole Ohlund situation in the off season. Ohlund was very dependable in his 10+ years of service with the Canucks and could play both the PP and PK; especially with the Canucks lacking in the special teams department. He signed with Tampa for $3.6M a year but he even said he'd be willing to take a big pay cut to stay in Vancouver because he and his family like it here. Gillis doesn't even give him an offer and basically tells him to take a hike. Other than Ehrhoff and Edler the Canucks don't have much substance on the blue line.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #23840
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I'm way more disappointed in the team as a whole than just any individual player.
The team hasn't played to their max potential yet... but in all honesty,
Chicago's a much stronger team anyway, especially in the special teams department.
And that's all they really need to rely on at the moment.

Niemi's pretty decent in net, although he hasn't really been tested the way Luongo has.
I agree. Chicago is a better team and they have our number. They are better in all aspects. Joel Quenneville is a Canuck killer. Niemi is playing much better than Luongo at the moment and he has faced just as much as Luongo.

Others are right. You cannot put all the blame on Luongo.

As for the captain thing, most people rise to the occasion when given that designation. Mason Raymond?

Anyway, Chicago is a team on a mission and everything is going right for them.

Wouldn't it be great if AV loses it a bit and lets Andrew Raycroft play the next game and he wins and wins and wins?

I guess that would never fly, because that basically tells people your 5+ million dollar player was a big mistake. It would spell the end of Luongo. Unless........... he was injured somehow. Then Raycrift would be just a temporary hero of sorts.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 05-08-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #23841

The Canucks don't even need to name a captain. The Habs don't have a captain but look at how well they're playing when it counts. Even with all the distractions this year with Laraque, S. Kostitsyn and their battered blue line they are still getting things done against much tougher opponents.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #23842
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,532 Times in 4,916 Posts
We need captain Canuck!

Either that or go back in time and bring back Kirk McLean, LOL.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #23843
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
You can't blame the goaltender when they're hanging him out to dry on the PK. Everybody's been talking about Byfuglien crashing the net or poor officiating but it's been a shooting gallery every time the opposing team goes on the PP.

Mike Gillis must be shooting himself in the foot right now with how he handled the whole Ohlund situation in the off season. Ohlund was very dependable in his 10+ years of service with the Canucks and could play both the PP and PK; especially with the Canucks lacking in the special teams department. He signed with Tampa for $3.6M a year but he even said he'd be willing to take a big pay cut to stay in Vancouver because he and his family like it here. Gillis doesn't even give him an offer and basically tells him to take a hike. Other than Ehrhoff and Edler the Canucks don't have much substance on the blue line.
How accurate is this? I can't see why Gillis WOULDN'T sign him if he offered up a pay cut.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #23844
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Two words: Special Teams

If we would of killed 2 more penalties, score on 2 more PPs, we would be up at least 3-1 right now.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #23845
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,360 Times in 1,668 Posts
i may be remembering this wrong, but i thought ohlund was looking for a change and had no intention of signing with the canucks? please correct me if i'm wrong.

anyways, i'm just disappointed with basically everyone on the team right now. i can understand why mason raymond was chosen as this years unsung hero now, he's been great. vtak!!
Spoiler!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #23846

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonogunn8 View Post
How accurate is this? I can't see why Gillis WOULDN'T sign him if he offered up a pay cut.
Gillis mentioned he wanted to get younger and faster on the blue line, hence acquiring a guy like Ehrhoff. On the other hand he's made decisions on the contrary such as taking a risk with M. Schneider (old as fuck), and Alberts (not close to as mobile as Ohlund.)

On a totally unrelated note, keep on the lookout for a game worn Mikael Samuelsson Canucks Third Jersey. It was stolen off a mannequin from the jersey auction at the Canucks store during Round 2 Game 4 by a black male. He also attempted to steal an Edler game worn before an employee noticed him and he fled.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #23847
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,360 Times in 1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Gillis mentioned he wanted to get younger and faster on the blue line, hence acquiring a guy like Ehrhoff. On the other hand he's made decisions on the contrary such as taking a risk with M. Schneider (old as fuck), and Alberts (not close to as mobile as Ohlund.)

On a totally unrelated note, keep on the lookout for a game worn Mikael Samuelsson Canucks Third Jersey. It was stolen off a mannequin from the jersey auction at the Canucks store during Round 2 Game 4 by a black male. He also attempted to steal an Edler game worn before an employee noticed him and he fled.
wow..... wtf!
Spoiler!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #23848
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
maybe we'll be like the Montreal Canadiens and come back
Based on historical stats, when the away team is down 3-1 in the series, they have come back to win about 4% of the time.

I wouldn't bet the house on it.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #23849

We have too many idiots on the team.......we can't even play cheap/rough properly, and this is hockey we're talking about here, not basketball/soccer.

When you have 3 baboons (O'brien/Bieska/Alberts) doing dumb shit all over the ice, coupled with the Canucks getting a lot of borderline calls on them, what do u expect? Any momentum is just zapped.

And I can't believe there are so much hostility here towards Luongo, spend half the game playing against a bunch of supreme skilled players with a 260lb ass in front of you all the time, and tell me how that feels.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #23850

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
To pin the loss on luu isnt really hard to do. I'm a big fan of luongo even before he became a canuck. the truth is, he has not been the same since the injury last last season. Alot of people will not disagree with me as well.
What injury did he have? Been too long I don't remember. And I agree with the rest of your comment, I don't know where this Luongo hatred came from, and all this talk about captaincy. How is him being a captain got to do with their guys making dumb penalties? (i.e. the random face wash Alberts put on Kane as he was defending him)
Closed Thread