REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #51
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
^

2500rpm?
try again
He drives a SE-R not a Spec-v

Engine QR25DE - 2.5-litre DOHC 16-valve 4-cyl. Engine Horsepower - 177 @ 6000 rpm
Torque - 172 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm
Advertisement
gramser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Unless you are tracking your car, or breaking road laws on a regular basis, RWD is a novelty.
I couldn't disagree more saying that RWD is a novelty. It is true that most people who owns a RWD cannot utilizes 10% of its full potential, be it on the track or on the road, but we live in an era of excess, everything from the things you wear to the things you eat, I would even go as far as to say that it is the social norm to have things that are well beyond our needs.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #53
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
yes yes i know, i love mazdaspeed 3 dont get me wrong, its one of my top 3 favorite car around that price tag

anything with turbo/SC will get hp/torque

thats a no brainer
focus st gets about 160 lb of torque which is more than most 4 bangers and is NA.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #54
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaughnessyREN View Post
a stock civic SI will stomp your stock Mazda 3 anytime

to op: watch for r18 civics
cuz
si is outta ur league
i never said my "stock" mazda3 is going to stomp a stock SI?
and are we talking SI or Civics? we're talking hondas in general.
Evolutionian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #55
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post
I couldn't disagree more saying that RWD is a novelty. It is true that most people who owns a RWD cannot utilizes 10% of its full potential, be it on the track or on the road, but we live in an era of excess, everything from the things you wear to the things you eat, I would even go as far as to say that it is the social norm to have things that are well beyond our needs.

That is a very true saying. People like the luxury of having MORE. Even if you don't ever use them. Case and point, that Dubai guy with 5000 cars (from the other thread).

Even as a kid, I would go compare who has the most Pokemon cards.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #56
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
FWD is fun. Until you are understeering into a barrier and have to bail out of the car GTA style.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #57
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

FWD = fail.
4 banger = fail.
v6 = fail.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #58
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
^actually I think v6's are a perfect mix of economy and power.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #59
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The problem with V6 FWD currently is the extra weight and the limitation of the gearboxes.. While RWD, 7 speeds is getting to be the standard in the next 12 months.. because FWD's width limitation, you can't really go that route.

Also you are compromising the turning radius... The same problem, that doomed US cars as unweldy in 80s and 90s. Except this time we are doing turbos.

Unless some company invest in the iQ setup for higher power application, where the differential is actually in front of the drivetrain. FWD is limited.

As for power of the 4bangers.. even Honda admit VTEC / high RPM is not sustainable.. it is more fuel efficient to have most of the torque in the lower RPM range.

Again FWD is cost first, performance second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #60
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Cobalt ss ftw I got my 07 ss from the dealer it came with stage 2 and I paid 13500 before taxes . Car is over alla good car , other than wheel hop. I dynoed it during rg dyno day 180whp and 163torq and the selection for after market parts is endless.
MaGNuM16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #61
Corny FTW!! MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
FWD = fail.
4 banger = fail.
v6 = fail.
Feel free to bring your car to the track and feel the fail from all the 4 bangers all night long.

Sponsored by:
Soundsgood

For all your car audio needs!
#3-910 Tupper Avenue
Coquitlam, BC V3K 1A5
Shop: 604-961-8626
www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 to 6:00
FeistyBearH22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #62
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Err wheel hop is a symptom of the design limitation of FWD.

Yes FWD is cheap, but good performance ie no wheel hopping is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaGNuM16 View Post
Cobalt ss ftw I got my 07 ss from the dealer it came with stage 2 and I paid 13500 before taxes . Car is over alla good car , other than wheel hop. I dynoed it during rg dyno day 180whp and 163torq and the selection for after market parts is endless.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyBearH22a View Post
Feel free to bring your car to the track and feel the fail from all the 4 bangers all night long.

And tell me, which FWD 4 banger is going to cause me to feel anything in the vette? Yeah that's what I thought. Go back to counting your MPG riceboi.

Quote:
That's because you = fail.

Last edited by Zulu; 09-25-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #64
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
That's because you = fail.

I've owned vehicles with engines as small as a 1.8 4cyl (Jetta) and as large a 427 big block V8 ('Vette) and many engines inbetween, both N/A and F/I'ed. When I was younger, it seemed like there was nothing better in the world than having a giant V8 in front of your feet, but as priorities change and you start to actually think about things like fuel economy and how much money you're burning, you learn to compromise a bit. While I still love V8's, I don't see much in the way of practical use for 'em. They simply are a novelty for 99% of the time. I'll never go back to a tiny 4cyl again, but my current two cars consist of a 2.5 V6 and a 2.4 I4 and the power/acceleration of both are very similar (well, until the V6 finally get's the blower installed), though the I4 has sooo much better fuel economy.

So for the best compromise, I'm going to have to agree with Majinhurricane and state that V6's tend to be the best all-rounder solution.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #65
Head Moderator

Quote:
And tell me, which FWD 4 banger is going to cause me to feel anything in the vette? Yeah that's what I thought. Go back to counting your MPG riceboi.
My twin-turbo 1.8L RWD 200sx would have definitely given your 'Vette a run for it's money at Mission Raceway and would definitely have walked all over it in Auto-X.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

-but as priorities change and you start to actually think about things like fuel economy and how much money you're burning, you learn to compromise a bit-

Personally, I'd just not get so poor that it mattered... but that's me.

Quote:
My twin-turbo 1.8L RWD 200sx would have definitely given your 'Vette a run for it's money at Mission Raceway and would definitely have walked all over it in Auto-X.
Mmmm, probably not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pboIuiYAA
Like the audi and the red 64 stingray?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #67
Head Moderator

Quote:
Personally, I'd just not get so poor that it mattered... but that's me.

Mmmm, probably not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pboIuiYAA
Like the audi and the red 64 stingray?
I've no idea what the point of that video was, but okay? Had a '63 Split window Vette with a 427 implanted into it. It sounded very similar to that. In fact, my '03 Mustang GT with a Borla system sounded just as good. But comparing V8 exhaust tones is kinda pointless in a thread intended for talking about FWD performance, no?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #68
straight from the fields of squamton

while FWD may be as gay as mugen evolutions boyfriend, after watching a few modded FWDs with slicks race around the auto-x course, I have a little more respect for them.
They can be quick, and funny to watch as their inside rear wheel lifts off the ground and stops moving around a hard corner.

I started out with FWDs, even put down almost 400hp in one, but it was stupid. between wheel hop and torque steer, and that fact that tires can either corner or put down power, not both, FWD is not a performance platform. Fun sure, but not as fun as RWD.

I understand where a lot of you are coming from though. RWD is hard to find these days. Honda doesn't make one, mazda doesn't make one, toyota doesn't make one etc etc. (I know the S2000 is available on the used market and Lexus makes a RWD car but wait)

To buy a new RWD these days what does it take? We'll leave the Genesis Coupe out of this cuz it's a hyundai and fuck all of you, but realisticly. there are no affordable rwd cars out there and most of you are honda fanbois. Not everyone wants to run a early 90s S chassis or a RHD skyline, and a lot of us can't afford to maintain a european car. That leaves the masses with FWD cars.

and with that said, people think FWD is good because there aren't enough RWD options out there.

More people need to drive a RWD sports car THEN make comments about FWD being anything but gay as mugen evolutions boyfriend.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #69

Quote:
I've no idea what the point of that video was, but okay? Had a '63 Split window Vette with a 427 implanted into it. It sounded very similar to that. In fact, my '03 Mustang GT with a Borla system sounded just as good. But comparing V8 exhaust tones is kinda pointless in a thread intended for talking about FWD performance, no?
It's actually a thread about FWDs lack of performance.

* FWD pwns offroad. well. until AWD came along.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
hmm... this thread is getting kind boring now..

so umm.. I have a friend of a friend... that says AWD's > RWD in drifting.

:
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #71
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
I understand where a lot of you are coming from though. RWD is hard to find these days. Honda doesn't make one, mazda doesn't make one, toyota doesn't make one etc etc. (I know the S2000 is available on the used market and Lexus makes a RWD car but wait)
What da phuc bich?

Gaymobile and RX-8 are RWD. All that said, no "daily driverish" type car is really RWD anymore. Mainly the luxo stuff and performance stuff.

Quote:
and with that said, people think FWD is good because there aren't enough RWD options out there.
In terms of a daily driven car, FWD is superior - it's more economical, which is what should matter for a daily driven car. Fortunately your priorities are different.

Lomac, unless that 200SX was incredibly heavily modified, it wouldn't keep up with a C5 on the track or on the skidpad. AutoX stock, the C5 is classed with stuff like the 997, Elise and Viper.... so... "good luck with that".

Don't ask me about drag though... ask this guy...

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #72
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
hmm... this thread is getting kind boring now..

so umm.. I have a friend of a friend... that says AWD's > RWD in drifting.

:
LOLWUT? Maybe off-road, but there's what, like 10 or 20 AWD cars that are in professional drifting (might not be many in Europe)? Pass me some of the shit he's smoking.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #73
Banned (ABWS)

Miata
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #74
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
while FWD may be as gay as mugen evolutions boyfriend, after watching a few modded FWDs with slicks race around the auto-x course, I have a little more respect for them.
They can be quick, and funny to watch as their inside rear wheel lifts off the ground and stops moving around a hard corner.

I started out with FWDs, even put down almost 400hp in one, but it was stupid. between wheel hop and torque steer, and that fact that tires can either corner or put down power, not both, FWD is not a performance platform. Fun sure, but not as fun as RWD.

To buy a new RWD these days what does it take? We'll leave the Genesis Coupe out of this cuz it's a hyundai and fuck all of you, but realisticly. there are no affordable rwd cars out there and most of you are honda fanbois. Not everyone wants to run a early 90s S chassis or a RHD skyline, and a lot of us can't afford to maintain a european car. That leaves the masses with FWD cars.

More people need to drive a RWD sports car THEN make comments about FWD being anything but gay as mugen evolutions boyfriend.
when the fuck did i ever fucking mention OHHH WOWWWW FWD over RWD/AWD? are u fucking blind or something?

get ur fucking fact straight motherufucker

buttom line

AWD > everything

when u have too much power/torque , FWD or RWD whether u like it or not its still gonna slip and have traction issues. Therefore AWD > all enough said
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #75
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

The sad thing is i work for ford, i get to drive the new vehicles when need be. the mustang gt's are not that fun to drive imo....When i drive something like that that should be a "sports car" and then i get in my civic and feel better performance, that makes me believe in fwd performance. I cant say i have driven a lot of different makes, but i know that Fwd's can be great cars....or they can be gay
civic_rice is offline   Reply With Quote