REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #151
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I think in the original context you were saying that newer civics with the new strut type suspension up front don't handle well because of their Mac struts. Is it necessarily true then?
All else being equal, a double A-arm suspension will be better than a strut-type suspension. Both old and new civics are front drive, front engine; the newer civic is heavier too which doesn't help. Without driving them back-to-back I would confidently guess that the older civic will be a bit nicer, because they're fairly comparable cars.

Conversely the SoooooooUUUUPRA and Peenmobile are quite different in layout, and I'm guessing weight. A "good" implementation of a more fundamentally limited design will be better than a "crappy" implementation of a fundamentally "better" design.

(compare a modern small-displacement inline 4 with an early 80s V8)

Quote:
Maybe it's just gotten to that point where Mac struts just aren't the limitation they used to be.
99.9% of the time McStrut vs double a-arm doesn't matter. It certainly doesn't matter in day-to-day driving, and it's obviously possible to have tons of fun with McStruts. For that 0.1% of the time though (such as any high level of motorsport), the difference in performance makes the additional cost etc worth it.
Advertisement
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #152
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
All else being equal, a double A-arm suspension will be better than a strut-type suspension. Both old and new civics are front drive, front engine; the newer civic is heavier too which doesn't help. Without driving them back-to-back I would confidently guess that the older civic will be a bit nicer, because they're fairly comparable cars.
The 8th gen Civics run a Mac strut front with a Double wishbone rear. From a handling point of view, with mod for mod, the older Civic is definately a lot more fun to drive.
Just ask James and Roger in their STS Civic.

As for the Supra vs GT2, that isn't a fair comparison since the 2 cars do not belong in the same class. The Supra is more of a tourer while the GT2 is an all out sports car. Stock for stock, the GT2 has stiffer springs than the Supra. Different tires. The supra is longer with an inline 6 and a full trunk while the GT2 has the engine over the rear wheels.

Why not compare a C2 vs a GT3. Stock for stock, the C2 is deffinately not in the same league as the GT3.

But once you allow mods to band-aid specific short comings, things can get interesting really quickly.

I can't remember the specific year, and I don't feel like goggling it right now. But Al Unser Jr. won the Indy 500 and the following year both him and his team mate couldn't qualify for the same race. The reason was because the car had issues with the handling and the previous year, the problem was masked by the higher powered motor. The following year, CART limited hp production and so they found themselves not being able to compete with the other teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote