REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #5101
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Hey guys. I've got a week left of my vacation and nothing to do. So i figured I'm gonna tear down my mountain bike and give it a much needed resuscitation. It's an '06 ironhorse yakuza aniki. Wasn't top of the line back then, but still cost me a pretty penny. I'm sure Andrew will recognize it. Made a few updates and changes, but now it's ready for some love.

I am not gonna ball out on the bike, but i will be stripping it to the bare frame. I want to give it some nice paint, but nothing super custom. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Honestly nothing is really off limits. I already have my gulf racing fixed gear. not sure if i should carry the theme over, or maybe do JSP martini?

Throw out suggestions or post some inspiration pictures. Anything is welcome!

Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #5102
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

thats pretty crazy, 30 bikes?!

That's bad ass.

i'm having issues keeping 4 bikes (2 are mine, 2 are gf's)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Um, too many? I don't know, about 30 or so I guess. A couple are just frames.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #5103
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
thats pretty crazy, 30 bikes?!

That's bad ass.

i'm having issues keeping 4 bikes (2 are mine, 2 are gf's)...
They come, they go, and lately they've just been coming (bikes, not gf's!)
hahaha...

2 bikes is bare minimum! You can tell your gf that I have 30, so if you have 15 or whatever, then it isn't that bad!
Justify it by telling her you 'need'
- road bike (TT bike, Cyclocross bike, Touring bike, Tri bike)
- Mountain bike (DJ, XC, Downhill, 26'er, 29'er, 27.5'er, hardtail, front suspension, full suspension, no suspension)
- Fixed gear, Single-speed, BMX (20", 24")
- Hybrid, Cruiser, Vintage, Unicycle, and possibly recumbent.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #5104
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #5105
RS Veteran

Anybody interested in some SlamThatStem stem caps?

PM me!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #5106
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts

Rode 24 miles to work and back last friday on my new ride; then another 10 miles around the neighborhood when i got home. I love this bike.

If anyone knows someone that wants an entry level road bike, my old starter bike is up for sale:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69330...%24500obo.html

Now I need a mountain bike and cyclocross bike to round out the stable.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #5107
ZN6

Anyone ever use this Cycloc wall mount before? I read good reviews but not entirely convinced. Shit doesn't come with mounting hardware.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #5108
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
question: do you guys know any shops locally that sell coloured bike chains? My current chain is 7 years old. Figured if i have to change it, might as well have fun with it. Price is still a factor.

Also, do you guys have any experience with paraffin wax chain lubing? I'm looking for the cleanest possible way to lube my bike. As I'm stripping it apart i can see the years and years of caked on oil and dirt and grime that has aged this bike.
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #5109
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Wax chain lube is a pain to get off. I found that it attracted more mud and dirt too for MTB use. A chain costs about $30, replace it every 1-3 years and call it a day IMO.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #5110
RS controls my life!

and my wannabe-Colnago-Master

distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #5111
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Sick dismount

Face plant and amazing dismount on Vimeo
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #5112
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post

Rode 24 miles to work and back last friday on my new ride; then another 10 miles around the neighborhood when i got home. I love this bike.

If anyone knows someone that wants an entry level road bike, my old starter bike is up for sale:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69330...%24500obo.html

Now I need a mountain bike and cyclocross bike to round out the stable.
Awesome ride! I just got a roubaix SL4 a couple months ago as well. A more "relaxed" geo but I just don't get sick of the smoothness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
question: do you guys know any shops locally that sell coloured bike chains? My current chain is 7 years old. Figured if i have to change it, might as well have fun with it. Price is still a factor.

Also, do you guys have any experience with paraffin wax chain lubing? I'm looking for the cleanest possible way to lube my bike. As I'm stripping it apart i can see the years and years of caked on oil and dirt and grime that has aged this bike.
Posted via RS Mobile
I've used Squirt dry lube (not sure if its paraffin) but it worked wonderfully...in the summer. It was on my hybrid so I didn't have any experience with it in the dirt/mud but on the road it was great and barely picked up any muck. However, it doesn't hold up well in the wet, as the same as most wax lubes apparently.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #5113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
All the coloured bike chains that I know of, are for single-speeds (bmx's, fixies) and made by KMC. Cap's in New West carries them for sure as I bought one there before, for about $13.
If you're looking for a chain for your mtn/road bike, 8,9,10,11 spd, then I believe silver/gold/black are your options.
As for lube, IMO I think any type will still hold grime and grit. You just have to give it a good cleaning after every ride to reduce the dirt. Not that I do that everytime, since I'm too lazy, usually just keep adding more lube, until the chain stretches enough to warrant buying a new one.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #5114
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

PM me!
i love my stamthatstep topcap looked so sick on my previous cannondale.

get dat aer000000
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #5115
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
i love my stamthatstep topcap looked so sick on my previous cannondale.

get dat aer000000
How much did you lower your stem by? Did you also lower the seat post to compensate? How was the ride after on your back?

Will need a new fit this year so thinking of trying this out.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #5116
I subscribe to Revscene

my old ride had a high headtube so i needed to compensate by lowering the stem. i didn't lower the seat.

my caad now has just a 15mm top cap below my stem, i tried to get it as close to my old fit as possible. no stress on the back.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #5117
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton13 View Post
Awesome ride! I just got a roubaix SL4 a couple months ago as well. A more "relaxed" geo but I just don't get sick of the smoothness.

Baller. When I am through with the Apex, I'm moving to ultegra 6800. $850 right now on chainreactioncycles.com. Smoking deal for last year's set. Double tap shifters are great but i still prefer the traditional two lever shifting. What kind of groupo is on your SL4?

Don't think I'll ever be at the level where I would need Di2 stuff. I did test ride the Roubaix ultegra Di2, it was epic, almost telepathic shifting. They would not let me test ride the S-works roubaix with dura ace di2
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #5118
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Baller. When I am through with the Apex, I'm moving to ultegra 6800. $850 right now on chainreactioncycles.com. Smoking deal for last year's set. Double tap shifters are great but i still prefer the traditional two lever shifting. What kind of groupo is on your SL4?

Don't think I'll ever be at the level where I would need Di2 stuff. I did test ride the Roubaix ultegra Di2, it was epic, almost telepathic shifting. They would not let me test ride the S-works roubaix with dura ace di2

Telepathic shifting? something like this?

mc.jolaika is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #5119
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
my old ride had a high headtube so i needed to compensate by lowering the stem. i didn't lower the seat.

my caad now has just a 15mm top cap below my stem, i tried to get it as close to my old fit as possible. no stress on the back.
Cool thanks! Gonna slam my stem..

If any of you guys are interested will be posting my Campagnolo CF record seat post for sale shortly.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #5120
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

Nobody truly ever needs Di2... but it is so high on my want list. Just something about having to plug my bike in every now and then though
Posted via RS Mobile
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #5121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

PM me!
Not me, but I've still got a bunch of aluminum spacers, 1/8" black, that I'm giving away as well. So if anybody needs one...pm me.
Don't ask what brand, they are generic. If you want a specific brand, I will do my best to write it on there with a paint pen.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #5122
RS controls my life!

Quote:

Lol not baller at all. I bought my Roubaix for the frame so I got the cheapest one I could afford and its running sora. I also bought new because I wanted the 2014 disc frame (blasphemy!) and I commute on it. I had plans to upgrade to 6800 when PBK had it for $650 but I'm having second thoughts now. I'm thinking 105 would probably be much better suited to my needs because I beat on my bike (~1000km/month with lots of salt and wet road grime lol).

Now if Shimano would coming out with electronic 105...we'll talk lol.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #5123

If you're thinking of heading down to the Vancouver Bike Show...
I didn't find a whole lot for sale. More Bikes from UBC had a big booth there selling their bikes, but I didn't really look at their prices. Pacific Multisport had a small booth selling off some helmets and shoes. I bought a pair of Schwalbe CX tires from them, for $20! Probably all gone by now. Other than that, C.O.D.E. had a bunch of jerseys/bibs/tights for 50% off.
Manufacturers this year included Rocky Mountain, Marin, Bianchi, Opus, and Colnago.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #5124
RS controls my life!

damn just watched this, Sagan got destroyed by Kwiatkowski in the last stretch of Strade Bianche.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #5125
RS Veteran

Wow, he got owned. Hill climbs was never his thing though.