REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Wally's Burger!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/606914-wallys-burger.html)

bcrdukes 02-25-2010 05:47 PM

^
Yes.

Drow 02-25-2010 06:43 PM

i just came back from it.

my opinion : wasnt as great as i thought it'd be, but good nonetheless. got the wagon burger with mushroom and fried egg combo, was pretty good

tripleE 02-25-2010 07:47 PM

dam that burger looks like a heart attack

1exotic 02-25-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6832176)
Deluxe Chuck Wagon burger (looks gross, but was pretty good)
http://www.trianglecafe.ca/misc/wally3.jpg

holy fuck. how do you not die from a heart attack eating that.

SMDBICH 02-25-2010 08:42 PM

cardiac arrest this bitchass up imma eat there tmr

TypeRNammer 02-25-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlySi (Post 6832256)
They just couldnt keep up to the 5 dollar meals from the fast food chains.
Good burgers are not cheap. If you want to spend $5.00 on a combo. Stick with Burger King and Mcdonalds. Im not knocking Burger King or Mcdonalds.. they are great burgers as well.

Are you fucking kidding me?

A big mac meal alone is almost 7 bucks tax in and that's with no upsize.

:fuuuuu:

EX-R 02-25-2010 11:02 PM

just to let everyone know that hasnt gone there yet, they close at 8. i just tried going there earlier but arrived a few mins after closing. i was a little disappointed. i guess ill have to make another trip there.

mickz 02-25-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 6832360)
i think the koreans killed wally's man lol they started to jack the price up and use costco/sunspan or w.e for everything which made it go super downhill

That Sunspun Ketchup was so shitty, worse than not having ketchup at all.

ikki 02-26-2010 02:05 AM

nice.. i work in that mall... can get it for my lunch.. haha..

K3604 02-26-2010 02:32 AM

*drooooooools* can't wait to try it !

MelonBoy 02-26-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlySi (Post 6832256)
Gawd dammit that is one sexy looking burger...
If its not messy, its not a Wallys burger.
Waiting for 10 minutes for Wallys is standard....
Cold limpy fries is definitely NOT the norm. I would have complained.

Koreans didnt kill Wally's.. thats balogne...
They just couldnt keep up to the 5 dollar meals from the fast food chains.
Good burgers are not cheap. If you want to spend $5.00 on a combo. Stick with Burger King and Mcdonalds. Im not knocking Burger King or Mcdonalds.. they are great burgers as well.

I actually wouldnt call their patties standard, its tough finding a thinner patty like Wallys.
Any other burger place, whether it be Veras, Fat Burger, Burgers Etc, Splitz Grill.
They all seem to use the standard thick patties. The thicker ones tend to be drier texture.
Albeit most other burger joints seasoning is WAY WAY better than Wallys Patties.

The bun is also not standard. Its got the perfect thickness and VERY VERY light. Just enough bread IMO. Nothing worse than an oversize thick bun. You will not find this unique chuck wagon bun anywhere else. Its exclusive to Wallys.

Special sauce is unique to Wallys as well.

Im a burger hound.... or burger aficionados some like to say... I love all types of burgers... My fav is defintitely Wallys. Although Splitz is a great contendor.

Its been a long winter without Wally's.. especially when we were frequently at Cates Park enjoying a good ol burger in the summer.

Gord the owner kept promising us he would open a Wally's in Vancouver. He finally delivered...

Welcome back Wally's.

fail, if you actually went to wallys burger back in the day enough you would have noticed the change... You do not serve customers BURNT burgers. (I stopped going back in the day after hitting a few burnt mushroom burgers)

Anyways on topic.. The floats were the bomb :O, do they have them back? XD

StealthFighter 02-26-2010 11:48 AM

they do, according to bcr's picture. for $3.75

http://www.trianglecafe.ca/misc/wallys1.jpg

SlySi 02-26-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelonBoy (Post 6833697)
fail, if you actually went to wallys burger back in the day enough you would have noticed the change... You do not serve customers BURNT burgers. (I stopped going back in the day after hitting a few burnt mushroom burgers)

Anyways on topic.. The floats were the bomb :O, do they have them back? XD

Iv been going to Wallys for over 25 years.. possibly 30 if I can remember that far... So yeah.. I was there "back in the day"
Im not sure how I failed here.
I concur.... Floats were the bomb...

If you get an overcooked burger or "burnt" burger. Send it back. Tell them to make another one thats not burnt.
Im fairly sure... the choice of cooking burgers is not burnt burgers.
I myself have never had a burnt burger at Wally's. I would be the first to send it back if it was.

The rants about Koreans taking Wally's down is false.
A true Wally's fan wouldnt agree with you.
Clearly you arent...

Its all good. You dont like Wally's. Dont go.. All good with me..
Im just happy they are back... :D

fliptuner 02-26-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlySi (Post 6833847)

The rants about Koreans taking Wally's down is false.
A true Wally's fan wouldnt agree with you.
Clearly you arent...

Well, apparently, at least 3 of us on this thread agree that the quality sucked after they took it over. "A true Wally's fan" as you put it, wouldn't accept the sub-par quality that was put out from the mid-90's until they closed - that's why I stopped going.

As far as I'm concerned, the restaurant died after that and again when that location closed permanently. Memories of the food, car shows, interactions, and it being part of my childhood will remain.

Either way, I'll be going to this new place and see what they have to offer but as far as I'm concerned, aside from the name outside and the name of some of the food, this is just another burger joint to check out.

way2quik 02-26-2010 04:11 PM

Nice to see a thread here.
It opened on the 23rd after months and months of waiting for inspection and for the OK from what the owner told me when he bought stuff from my workplace. Now to try that sloppy burger. :eek:

Eating at FatBurger nearly gave me a heart attack and I certainly would not pay $11+ for their combos anymore.

JSALES 02-26-2010 05:13 PM

yes, so close to my area. gotta try it sometime

Skittlez160 02-26-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by way2quik (Post 6834202)
Eating at FatBurger nearly gave me a heart attack and I certainly would not pay $11+ for their combos anymore.

Fat Burger is nothing but hype, if that.

I'm glad to see that Wally's is back in East Van. I had my first Wally's when I was 8 years old, 19 years ago. I have to agree with most of you, it went downhill when the Korean owners took over. Though I think they only started using the Costco patties near the end, when they were getting busy with people wanting one last burger. I'm definitely making a trip down within the next few days. :thumbsup:

tripleE 02-26-2010 08:20 PM

om nom nom
ate there today pretty good burger

SMDBICH 02-26-2010 08:58 PM

^^ same had a fat juicy hot dog

SkinnyPupp 02-27-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vspeed (Post 6830637)
Just saw Wally's Burger open by Killarney Market..mmmm!!

Just do what they do: Buy shit from Costco. Your burgers will taste the exact same.

Presto 02-27-2010 09:57 AM

Does anyone know if the new owner acquired the grills from the original location?

ikki 02-27-2010 05:12 PM

I just tried the Wally + fried egg + mushroom.... it's good. but $5 is quite expensive for a burger.

IMASA 02-27-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikki (Post 6835915)
I just tried the Wally + fried egg + mushroom.... it's good. but $5 is quite expensive for a burger.

Then stick with the $1.39 menu @ McDonalds.

fliptuner 02-28-2010 03:21 AM

You know a McChicken at McDicks is like $4.50 right?

winson604 02-28-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikki (Post 6835915)

May I ask what burger you have been eating then? If you go to Mcdonalds and buy the burger alone they easily get into the $4 - $5 range after taxes and the same goes for the rest. Perhaps your used to $1.39 burgers off the Wendys value menu or 2 for $3 mama burgers but $5 is pretty normal.