REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #2401
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9 View Post
Not sure for the former, but I do know the waitlist is hella long. I start in may after applying right after HS in June, even with their multiple intakes a year
Hey which course did you apply to and you applied last june right?
Do you know where I can get more information about the courses.?
Advertisement
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #2402
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Spotted: white T-shirt, white watch

Amirite?
Posted via RS Mobile
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #2403
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
Hey which course did you apply to and you applied last june right?
Do you know where I can get more information about the courses.?
Think it was Augest/September ish? and fort he General
for the general -> BCIT : : Automotive Technician Foundation: Full-time, Certificate
Toyota -> BCIT : : Automotive Technician (Toyota Foundation): Full-time, Certificate
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #2404

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #2405
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

is anybody currently in the Welding Foundation program?
mruppal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #2406
Banned (ABWS)

^+1 on above post, thinking of taking it, as HVAC-R is way too hard lol
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #2407

i've been really considering it these last few weeks. i want to get some input on how the program is and if they've completed, how theyre doing in the work field.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #2408
I don't get it

^ I would also love some input from anyone who has taken either welding, HVAC-R, or HD Mechanic and how the program is, and their current placement in the work field. Thanks!
604dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #2409
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Had issues at practicum that were unaddressed and is now threatening my placement in the program. The program head does not believe me and is not helping. Anyone have any suggestions of what can be done or who I can speak to at BCIT for help?
ceeteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #2410

What happened at practicum about field is it in?
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by TOS'd; 04-10-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #2411

Instructor at my site neglected me as a student, rudeness, suspected unfairness ,etc which didn't allow me to progress efficiently. The field is medical radiography. I brought this forward to my program head and clinical coordinator in the early half of the semester but they said I had no proof. Fastforward 1 month later and they want me to sign an academic contract because my progress is not meeting semester requirements.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #2412

What is am academic contract for? Is it like academic probation? Ie, if you don't do well by a certain date you get kicked out. Doesn't help that your program head is siding with your practicum employer, hard to talk to them.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
What is am academic contract for? Is it like academic probation? Ie, if you don't do well by a certain date you get kicked out. Doesn't help that your program head is siding with your practicum employer, hard to talk to them.
Posted via RS Mobile
If I don't meet semester requirement. I receive a U and removed from program.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #2414
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by christruong View Post
Instructor at my site neglected me as a student, rudeness, suspected unfairness ,etc which didn't allow me to progress efficiently. The field is medical radiography. I brought this forward to my program head and clinical coordinator in the early half of the semester but they said I had no proof. Fastforward 1 month later and they want me to sign an academic contract because my progress is not meeting semester requirements.
prob theres a reason why your instructor neglected you
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #2415
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
That's harsh. So what happens when they neglect you? They refuse to help you with your assignments or answer your questions? There has to be some reason why he neglected you. If it is just out of discrimination, then you probably should have secretly recorded his actions.

I definitely would not let any discriminatory slide since I'm paying for the program.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
That's harsh. So what happens when they neglect you? They refuse to help you with your assignments or answer your questions? There has to be some reason why he neglected you. If it is just out of discrimination, then you probably should have secretly recorded his actions.

I definitely would not let any discriminatory slide since I'm paying for the program.
Spoiler!

Last edited by ceeteezy; 04-12-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #2417
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Spoiler!
Man, that's harsh, I feel bad for you dude. It's shit like this that I'm afraid of when going to school. I would have done something the moment I suspect my instructor's lack of professionalism and ability, like record a week's session with her and show it to your program head.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #2418
Banned (ABWS)

Any of you looking at HVAC at bcit, heres an update, i think i did one last year.

Program: HVAC Co-op
Length: school 22weeks, work 22 weeks, school 10weeks, work 22 weeks, school 10weeks > diploma values at 4 years of training, even tho the program is only 2.5 years long.
(I have completed 2 school terms, and currently on my 2nd work term)

Term 1. 4/16 failed.
Term 2. 3/11 failed.
Instructors will yell at you, call you a filter bitch, kick your tools (bcit tools) if they are spread out everywhere and not around your (worksite)
Instructors do have an awesome sence of humor, and will help, but for 80% of the time "FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF" because when you are out on the field, noone will hold your hand.

Program is 70% theory, this means memorize 300 pages, 50 pages of written notes, and then have a 3 hour exam every friday. 65% pass mark. Fail three tests, you are out of the program. Or fail ONE rewrite and you are out of the program. (Keep in mind this varies how much your instructor likes you. My moms a shop teacher, and if you bring her a box of chocolates, for some reason your 70% grade turns into a 80% grade, but if you piss her off, your 70% grade may be a 50% grade. THIS APPLIES TO ALL TEACHERS.)

You learn everything, not just HVAC, electrical, plumbing, welding, millwright, science, etcetc. This is the king of all trades.

Hands on projects are great, build an AC unit, walk in cooler, etc. But they only consist of 10-20% of the program.

The co-op program HELPS you find a job, DOES NOT guarantee you a job. roughly 5-20 jobs get posted online per term, that companies are looking for apprentices. its your job to apply and get hired.
Term one 4/12 did not have a job for their work term.
Term two 2/8 dont have a job yet.

If you can survive this program, survive in the field, you will never need to worry about money, Pay starts at 14-18$/hr avarage (we have one guy that got started at 25/hr lucky fuck)
And pay maxes out at roughly 60/hr (usually after 10 years.) (you can be making 40/hr in under 5 years.)

Work its self, you could be changing filters for 2 years, (filter bitch) you could be hauling around 200LB compressors with two other guys, you could be in vancouver, or you could be in chilliwack, its SUPER variable, in every aspect.

There is three or four different ways of taking this program from bcit.
Do i reccomend it?
Only if you know you can have no life while in school, and study your ass off, i studied more in the first month of this program, than in my four years of highschool combined.
If you dont study, and know your shit, you WILL fail.

Lastly attitude will help you pass the program and pass your work terms, if your journeyman, or instructor likes you, as stated before, he wownt care that you messed up once.
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #2419

damn.. hvac sounds hard as fuck
Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #2420
How I Mod your mother

We had a taste of HVAC and plumbing in our program. I'm not sure how the numbering scheme works in trades but we had MSYS 3880 and MSYS 3980 (not sure if this one is correct)

But those classes were difficult. MSYS 3880 was hard as fuck. So much memorization and remembering how to do certain calculations. Throw that together with a full semesters workload = good luck
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #2421

As a son of some one who has done HVAC for years, I suggest do Industrial, a lot better pay and less bitch to deal with.
That being said, when he did go to job sites, you really only need to use the most common ones of the top of your head, (notebooks with formulas op) after that you can be awesome and design HVAC systems and not really do any work!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #2422

Is there a BCIT U-Pass tax form? I see the T2202A but not one for the U-Pass.

I did find this:

Quote:
Can I claim my U-Pass BC cost in my income tax return?

To support your income tax claim, it is recommended you keep your transit passes, any receipts, credit card statements or cancelled cheques along with your Account Balance and Summary found on your myBCIT under Student Self Service.

Check the Canada Revenue Agency website for current information.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #2423

Quote:
Is there a BCIT U-Pass tax form? I see the T2202A but not one for the U-Pass.

I did find this:
As far as I am aware, the U-pass is like any other transit pass, your still paying out the yingyang for it, just keep it for the regular t2202a
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9 View Post
As far as I am aware, the U-pass is like any other transit pass, your still paying out the yingyang for it, just keep it for the regular t2202a
At Langara they had a separate form you can print out that outlines your u-pass payments so you can submit them. Was wondering if BCIT had the equivalent or do we have to gather our own proof.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #2425

Quote:
At Langara they had a separate form you can print out that outlines your u-pass payments so you can submit them. Was wondering if BCIT had the equivalent or do we have to gather our own proof.
We'll for me its under my account balances along with every other bit of my soul owe them. I'd say ask a Financial Counselor??