REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #126
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nu Joisy
Posts: 275
Thanked 142 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
My buddy used to get approached all the time; his moves are legendary because they were all spur of the moment. None of this pre-planning.

-He was studying at the library, deaf guy walks around putting leaflets on ppls desks. Buddy looks up with a WTF look, nudges it off his desk with his pen on to the floor, wont even touch it with his hand, and continues studying. Deaf guy has super pissed look in his face, my buddy looks at him expressionless, goes back to studying.

-Bum harasses him as he goes into mcd's for food, buddy says no, bum mouths him off. buddy orders a water, and on the way out throws it in the bums face and books it.

-Lady asks for change, buddy says he only has coins, lady says thats ok. My buddy has a handful of pennies and nickels, shows it to her and tosses them on the floor. He watches her pick them up with a look of disgust on his face and walks away.
How are these legendary? Seems like these people are legitimately poor and aren't scamming people for money like the Filipinos the OP was talking about.

If you don't want to give change, just ignore them. Why do you (or your friend) feel the need to insult them even more? I hope I see your friend begging for money downtown in the future. I'll donate a kick to the face.
Advertisement
Vinny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #127
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
matter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 207
Thanked 86 Times in 30 Posts
Those guys just hung around UBC asking students for handouts daily, not some one off occurrences.

My buddy is a quiet Japanese guy, so it was shocking to hear his stories. You got to admit, no normal person would usually do these kinds of things, you would just run them through your mind after the fact, hence legendary that he actually did them on the fly.
__________________
Altius Citius Fortius
matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #128
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
spyker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake Of Fire
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 596 Times in 238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
Those guys just hung around UBC asking students for handouts daily, not some one off occurrences.

My buddy is a quiet Japanese guy, so it was shocking to hear his stories. You got to admit, no normal person would usually do these kinds of things, you would just run them through your mind after the fact, hence legendary that he actually did them on the fly.
Your friend is a loser,that's what he is,stop making excuses for his stupid actions.

If I ever saw him throwing water at a bum,being the chicken shit he is,I would chase him down,drag his sorry ass back to the bum and let him have his way with him.

I have been asked many times for spare change from the homeless,9 out of 10 times their reply is "thank you" or "god bless" even after I tell them I don't have any,not once have I ever been mouthed off.So your story is bullshit.It sounds like your friend is nothing more than a fucking retard causing trouble for his own sick enjoyment.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #129
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Dragon-88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van/Bur
Posts: 4,771
Thanked 1,317 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Your friend is a loser,that's what he is,stop making excuses for his stupid actions.

If I ever saw him throwing water at a bum,being the chicken shit he is,I would chase him down,drag his sorry ass back to the bum and let him have his way with him.

I have been asked many times for spare change from the homeless,9 out of 10 times their reply is "thank you" or "god bless" even after I tell them I don't have any,not once have I ever been mouthed off.So your story is bullshit.It sounds like your friend is nothing more than a fucking retard causing trouble for his own sick enjoyment.
retarded
__________________
Cash Rules Everything Around Me!!!
My Buy/Sell Feedback Ratings

Current:
2001 Honda Odyssey (Toy Hauler/ bad weather DD)
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
Kayo MR125 Race Bike (MiniGP Racing)
1971 MG MGB Tourer (Budget Build/pleasure)

Past:
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (Donated to little sister)
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #130
degenerate extraordinaire
 
Ikkaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: missing rmd
Posts: 6,227
Thanked 489 Times in 233 Posts
^ really? I've been bitched at numerous times for not giving change.

"don't fucking lie, you have money"
"fuck you, chink."
"fuckin greedy ass chinese people"
"go back to your home country"

I find that it is the homeless people who approach you that are rude, the ones who usually hold the large cardboard sign are polite.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by 97ITR
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #131
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Dragon-88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van/Bur
Posts: 4,771
Thanked 1,317 Times in 419 Posts
Its pretty much a hit or miss.. In my case nothing bad.. Even if they were rude, Honestly what are you going to do?? Retaliate like an idiot like Matter's friend or just turn your back and move on with life??
__________________
Cash Rules Everything Around Me!!!
My Buy/Sell Feedback Ratings

Current:
2001 Honda Odyssey (Toy Hauler/ bad weather DD)
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
Kayo MR125 Race Bike (MiniGP Racing)
1971 MG MGB Tourer (Budget Build/pleasure)

Past:
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (Donated to little sister)
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)

Last edited by Dragon-88; 10-14-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #132
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
spyker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake Of Fire
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 596 Times in 238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
^ really? I've been bitched at numerous times for not giving change.

"don't fucking lie, you have money"
"fuck you, chink."
"fuckin greedy ass chinese people"
"go back to your home country"
I have never had a aggressive panhandler approach me in such a way,if it were to ever happen,I would just walk away and ignore them,not even worth my time to say anything back.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #133
My homepage has been set to RS
 
haymura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 318 Times in 124 Posts
I honestly have respect for the homeless. i have had my experiences in either getting a "thank you", "God Bless you" or being mouthed off for lying or holding off. I realize that its not nice to mouth off ppl especially when your asking for change but give these guys a break. They are going through hardship right now and some are mentally, physically stressed or beyond stressed. Id like to see any of you hold a smile everyday and be the most polite person when your down in the dumps and out of your luck. Most of us throw a hissy fit already just because someone rips us off or short changes us. imagine what these guys are going through, EVERYDAY!

When i was young i ran away from home and didnt know where to go. It was the middle of winter and i immaturely ran away without taking any extra clothes, jackets, etc to keep me warm. I decided to go to stanley park where i know my parents wouldnt look not knowing that it was freakin cold there. I slept at a bench freezing my ass off that night but when i woke up the next morning i was wrapped in a very warm, comfy blanket with a pillow on my head and right below me was a homeless man sleeping on the concrete with nothing but his jacket and dog beside him. I left the man with whatever money i had left ($60 if i remember correctly) as a sign of appreciation but i gained respect for these people.

if i walk to downtown and see a homeless man asking for change, i give what i can but if i dont have any i simply say im sorry i dont have change. whether i get mouthed off or simply ignored i just walk by and mind my own business. There is no need to act all tough and think your a big man by making these ppl feel miserable. If your easily hurt by their "words" then i got news for you buddy, you lack confidence!
__________________
My Feedback
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #134
degenerate extraordinaire
 
Ikkaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: missing rmd
Posts: 6,227
Thanked 489 Times in 233 Posts
It doesn't really affect me. I'm pretty desensitized regarding stuff like this. I mean I've helped out at the street church before and I know the people are cranky because of their life situations and all, it's understandable.

Who knows? Might've been a bad day for them. The next day he might be the one who says 'God bless'.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by 97ITR
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #135
Ubereem Mod
 
Gt-R R34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,070
Thanked 120 Times in 63 Posts
If you guys go to Rome/Paris often then you'll know this is a pretty common sight in all major tourist locations.

They'll usually have a form to sign up, then when you get suckered into signing it they ask for money.

Just learn to ignore it, and/or get the news onto them. If they're in the paper, they'll usually go away or more often transform to a different type of scam.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture View Post
sometimes I like to use kindergarten art class scissors to cut my pubes
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #136
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Van
Posts: 492
Thanked 341 Times in 79 Posts
there are two types of homeless people here. one is legitimately homeless and needs help, and another is the druggie type.

MOLLY from DT is a druggie so dont give her money when you see her in the winter.
BlacknJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #137
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
PDA_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 193
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Very often in Ninkazu, they simply rush in the restaurant with a group of 5 women and started going table by table for donation. You could suddenly see the employees change from a serving smiling face to like a raging roaring bear to shoo them out, haha.
PDA_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #138
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
azncreationz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: BBY North
Posts: 1,508
Thanked 184 Times in 128 Posts
Hmm, I lived near the Joyce and Kingsway area and haven't encountered these Flip Ladies yet. Hope not to either. However, there is this other older Chinese Guy scammer around the area. He will approach you, and 1st question is, 'Are you Chinese'? Then, he might say his car is dead, needs a jump start, blah blah blah..and of course, in the end, will ask for a couple of bucks to take the bus home. Do NOT give him any money.
I'm trying to encounter him again actually, to take a photo of him. I'm pretty damn sure I can snap the photo and outrun him. I think you guys should do the same with these Flip Ladies, so we know who they are. And even tell them that you're bringing the photo to the cops, if they don't stop harassing you.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #139
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Van
Posts: 492
Thanked 341 Times in 79 Posts
^yea i have seen that guy too. either that or he'll ask you for money to call to get teh towing truck. if you give him a quarter he said its not enough LOL.
BlacknJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #140
Say! Say! Say!
 
Razor Ramon HG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 13,429
Thanked 2,019 Times in 770 Posts
I gave him $5 before, didn't realize he was a scammer until another lady told me he's always in the area. GG.
__________________
Quote:
Owner of Vansterdam's 420th thanks. OH YEAUHHH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #141
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
They come down granville. I told them why would I support the mexicans of asia.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:31 AM   #142
I STILL don't get it
 
Midnitez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 468
Thanked 23 Times in 8 Posts
last time i gave money to a bum that said he had to feed his wife at home and ended up usin it to buy chips and grinned at me right after i stopped givin to anyone!

i've been broke before and ran away from home, i'm not livin on the streets begging for money EVERYDAY

you know that these ppl make $40 an hour off begging?
its just like ppl in online games running up to ppl and asking them for gold,
i tell them to suck it
Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:19 AM   #143
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Infiniti
Posts: 2,470
Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
their everywhere around metro
their main hiding spots are station square beisde pizza zone, orange corner ALOT at the bus loop and fckkin infront of mcdixx even

today 2 guys came up and asked if we had any back pains etc, we will cure you on the spot
me and my buddies were like wtf? 0.0 gtfo so they left.. LOL

and once i saw those group of philipino girls in a group sharing that money, showin each other how much they got and smiling, looked like a day of long work 8-)
maybe their trying to gather enough money cause they bought the one way ticket to canada and no way to get back? =S
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #144
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 5,138
Thanked 2,215 Times in 509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post

and once i saw those group of philipino girls in a group sharing that money, showin each other how much they got and smiling, looked like a day of long work 8-)
maybe their trying to gather enough money cause they bought the one way ticket to canada and no way to get back? =S
no, it's obvious handing out double double coffees and McChickens isn't enough.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #145
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
ghosty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancity
Posts: 288
Thanked 95 Times in 16 Posts
Every fucking tim horton i ever been to even going across Canada for the military has a flip behind the counter
ghosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #146
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Durrann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E. Vancouver
Posts: 1,907
Thanked 300 Times in 135 Posts
good on you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post
I honestly have respect for the homeless. i have had my experiences in either getting a "thank you", "God Bless you" or being mouthed off for lying or holding off. I realize that its not nice to mouth off ppl especially when your asking for change but give these guys a break. They are going through hardship right now and some are mentally, physically stressed or beyond stressed. Id like to see any of you hold a smile everyday and be the most polite person when your down in the dumps and out of your luck. Most of us throw a hissy fit already just because someone rips us off or short changes us. imagine what these guys are going through, EVERYDAY!

When i was young i ran away from home and didnt know where to go. It was the middle of winter and i immaturely ran away without taking any extra clothes, jackets, etc to keep me warm. I decided to go to stanley park where i know my parents wouldnt look not knowing that it was freakin cold there. I slept at a bench freezing my ass off that night but when i woke up the next morning i was wrapped in a very warm, comfy blanket with a pillow on my head and right below me was a homeless man sleeping on the concrete with nothing but his jacket and dog beside him. I left the man with whatever money i had left ($60 if i remember correctly) as a sign of appreciation but i gained respect for these people.

if i walk to downtown and see a homeless man asking for change, i give what i can but if i dont have any i simply say im sorry i dont have change. whether i get mouthed off or simply ignored i just walk by and mind my own business. There is no need to act all tough and think your a big man by making these ppl feel miserable. If your easily hurt by their "words" then i got news for you buddy, you lack confidence!
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #147
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Ilagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 982
Thanked 479 Times in 73 Posts
I remember encountering these Filipino ladies a couple of years ago. I'm Filipino myself and hearing these stories pisses me off. The problem with Filipinos is that whatever education they received in the Philippines is usually not recognized in Canada. For those that do come here, they have no choice but to get into the fast food industry or an entry level job.

It irritates me that they come to Canada for a better life, only to scam hardworking people. If they want to come here, make an honest living and provide for those that need it. Get an education here and break the stereotype. It's a privilege to be in Canada and I try to make the most of it. Next time I encounter one of these scammers, I'm gonna call them out on it and tell them they are a disgrace to Filipinos.
Ilagon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #148
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Cillu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 663
Thanked 268 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Hmm, I lived near the Joyce and Kingsway area and haven't encountered these Flip Ladies yet. Hope not to either. However, there is this other older Chinese Guy scammer around the area. He will approach you, and 1st question is, 'Are you Chinese'? Then, he might say his car is dead, needs a jump start, blah blah blah..and of course, in the end, will ask for a couple of bucks to take the bus home. Do NOT give him any money.
I'm trying to encounter him again actually, to take a photo of him. I'm pretty damn sure I can snap the photo and outrun him. I think you guys should do the same with these Flip Ladies, so we know who they are. And even tell them that you're bringing the photo to the cops, if they don't stop harassing you.
Holy shit, I think I know who you're talking about.

Two years ago, when I walked off the skytrain, he asked me if I was Chinese. I said yes and he told me he needed bus fare money to see his daughter or something. Unknowingly, I got suckered in giving him two and when I was walking back home, I was like wait... wtf? God damnit.
__________________
db1 - daily [sold]
ca5 - 2013 winter beater/dead
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #149
I don't get it
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: vancouver
Posts: 422
Thanked 259 Times in 88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
My buddy used to get approached all the time; his moves are legendary because they were all spur of the moment. None of this pre-planning.

-He was studying at the library, deaf guy walks around putting leaflets on ppls desks. Buddy looks up with a WTF look, nudges it off his desk with his pen on to the floor, wont even touch it with his hand, and continues studying. Deaf guy has super pissed look in his face, my buddy looks at him expressionless, goes back to studying.

-Bum harasses him as he goes into mcd's for food, buddy says no, bum mouths him off. buddy orders a water, and on the way out throws it in the bums face and books it.

-Lady asks for change, buddy says he only has coins, lady says thats ok. My buddy has a handful of pennies and nickels, shows it to her and tosses them on the floor. He watches her pick them up with a look of disgust on his face and walks away.
That's not legendary, that's fucking retarded.
darkfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #150
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,471
Thanked 3,055 Times in 654 Posts
do this to the filipino ladies lol

__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



FS: Active Autowerke F30 328/428 exhaust

FS: BNIB: BMW F30 Window Visor/Deflectors

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net