REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Hobby Shops in the GVRD (https://www.revscene.net/forums/630106-hobby-shops-gvrd.html)

tofu1413 12-19-2010 12:27 PM

apparently there are two shops in the new west...

theres another hobby shop @ 6th and carnarvon.. (sp?) not sure what they have there.. havent checked it out yet

Senna4ever 12-19-2010 12:30 PM

Is Silverwing Hobbies still around on Hastings & Renfrew? I used to go there as a kid quite a lot. They had an RC Airwolf model that cost $3000 that I used to drool over.

Also, do any of the stores have models of ships from Star Blazers?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ation_b0_1.jpg

tofu1413 12-19-2010 12:31 PM

^ BATTLESHIP YAMATO! :D too cool

Senna4ever 12-19-2010 12:33 PM

^^ Want the hi-res version?

tofu1413 12-19-2010 12:35 PM

link????

Senna4ever 12-19-2010 12:38 PM

There you go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tion_b0_01.jpg

MG1 12-19-2010 02:42 PM

So this is Japan's version of famous WWII battleship evolved into space ship, like the USS Enterprise evolved to Star Trek Enterprise. Way too cool.

As a side note, thanks to tofu1413's reminder, I went to On Track Hobbies in PoCo. They won't be having a Boxing Day sale, but they have a buy one get equal or lesser value for 50% off promotion right now. Everything in store, I believe. These guys only close 3 days out of the year. Christmas, Boxing Day, and New Years. The owner of the store is a spitting image of Gordon Campbell. I shit you not. He could play Gordo's double in the upcoming, "I was a Dirty Politician" blockbuster movie. Anyway, you need a coupon from the Tri City News that came out at the beginning of the month. 50% off for second item translates into basically 25% off each item, so it isn't bad. Apparently, you can still get the coupon on-line at Tri City News.

Oh, almost forgot. Urban Samurai is having a Boxing Day Sale, too. 15 - 20% off. Not great, but if you're into that kind of stuff, Gundam, they have a good selection.

Senna4ever 12-19-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic (Post 7233645)
So this is Japan's version of famous WWII battleship evolved into space ship, like the USS Enterprise evolved to Star Trek Enterprise. Way too cool.

No, the Yamato is the actual WWII battleship that was made into a spaceship. The USS Enterprise in the Star Trek universe was an entirely different ship. The first ship with the name 'Enterprise" was a French navy ship that was captured by the British in 1705.

MG1 12-19-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7233704)
No, the Yamato is the actual WWII battleship that was made into a spaceship.

Huh? Oh, the story line, right. Never followed the anime with those things in it.

Quote:

The USS Enterprise in the Star Trek universe was an entirely different ship. The first ship with the name 'Enterprise" was a French navy ship that was captured by the British in 1705.
Then it wouldn't be USS Enterprise. The French frigate, then HMS Enterprise, then the USS Enterprise.

I was more or less talking about the use of the names in ficticious ships being cute. So, is there a Musashi? I bet there would be a Nagato (the admiral's ship, no less).

Name of anime series, please, so I can watch this stuff. Sounds interesting. Are you a hard core fan? Yes, I live under a rock.

BTW, I am totally into WWII IJN vessels. My favourite being the Amagiri. Pt 109 killer right there.

Senna4ever 12-19-2010 05:45 PM

If you watch the Original Yamato series in Japanese, there are a bunch of ships that were named after WWII ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Battleship_Yamato
I have the Japanese series on DVD, but you can get the series in English under the name "Star Blazers."

MG1 12-19-2010 06:46 PM

I will have to check into it. Off to Parker Place to look for cheap knock off of series, LOL. Prepared to put up with ultra bad subtitles.

thanks...........

MG1 12-19-2010 06:49 PM

BTW, has anyone been to the hobby shop in Surrey? Cannot remember the name of it atm.

MG1 12-19-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 7233492)
apparently there are two shops in the new west...

theres another hobby shop @ 6th and carnarvon.. (sp?) not sure what they have there.. havent checked it out yet

I'll go check it out tomorrow. I remember about 30 years ago, there used to be a hobby store in New West that was humongous. Two or three storys of stuff. I heard it went tits up, but could this one at 6th and Carnavon be a resurrection of that huge hobby store?

aznrsx1979 12-19-2010 07:27 PM

I remember driving by Central Hobbies on Grandview Hwy quite a bit.
http://www.central-hobbies.com/

aznrsx1979 12-19-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic (Post 7233885)
I'll go check it out tomorrow. I remember about 30 years ago, there used to be a hobby store in New West that was humongous. Two or three storys of stuff. I heard it went tits up, but could this one at 6th and Carnavon be a resurrection of that huge hobby store?

I googled it and there were 2 stores, Shamryn Hobbies and Pacific Scale Rail. On Pacific's site, it says the store is closed. I tried looking for a website. I went to Shamryn years ago when I was in college and needed to get supplies for the models I was making in the architecture program I was in.

MG1 12-19-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznrsx1979 (Post 7233920)
I remember driving by Central Hobbies on Grandview Hwy quite a bit.
http://www.central-hobbies.com/

They are now exclusively a model train store. They still have some plastic models lying around, but the guy told me he is getting out of the plastic model business. He said it like he despised plastic models. Made me feel like an outcast for mentioning plastic scale modeling. I almost told him to stick his little trains up his wazoo, but I was surrounded by railroaders.... kinda scary.

tofu1413 12-19-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic (Post 7233885)

should do a RS hobby store meet.

need to find something for my dad for christmas...

Academy has a new 1/48 F15I eagle.. looks like a nice kit.

MG1 12-19-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 7234030)
should do a RS hobby store meet.

need to find something for my dad for christmas...

Academy has a new 1/48 F15I eagle.. looks like a nice kit.

I guess Boxing Day would be kinda late, huh?

Cross border hobby shop meet. Models are duty free!

'xept, we have better hobby stores up here.

BTW, does your dad use parafilm for masking?

Phil@rise 12-20-2010 09:51 AM

Mr Hobbies in North Van on Marine dr is where I go

Leopold Stotch 12-20-2010 11:07 AM

man 89blkcivic i'd love to meet you one day

but you're older than my dad so that would be weird, especially with your arm around my neck as i envisioned it

Phil@rise 12-20-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7234563)
man 89blkcivic i'd love to meet you one day

but you're older than my dad so that would be weird, especially with your arm around my neck as i envisioned it

Do you always envision older men having their arms around your neck? That sounds just a wee bit :gay:

CP.AR 12-20-2010 11:15 AM

^ it's butters so its ok. his parents are just gonna send him to gay camp

PuYang 12-20-2010 11:17 AM

sorry for "thread jacking", but i kinda wanted to ask you guys, since it seems some of you frequent hobby stores.

do you guys know any place that sells 97-01 prelude models?

ive checked a few "car stores", that have a bunch of models, but no preludes. preludes were never very mainstream/popular, so i havent been able to locate any.

thanks!

tofu1413 12-20-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic (Post 7234128)
I guess Boxing Day would be kinda late, huh?

Cross border hobby shop meet. Models are duty free!

'xept, we have better hobby stores up here.

BTW, does your dad use parafilm for masking?

well, i remember him using some kind of liquid paint on masking tape.. i forgot what brand it was... pretty neat. its peelable after when its dry.

or if it was for bigger parts, say ship hulls, he just uses green painters tape.

as for airbrushing camos, hes been doing it for years, so he doesnt use any masking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuYang (Post 7234579)
sorry for "thread jacking", but i kinda wanted to ask you guys, since it seems some of you frequent hobby stores.

do you guys know any place that sells 97-01 prelude models?

ive checked a few "car stores", that have a bunch of models, but no preludes. preludes were never very mainstream/popular, so i havent been able to locate any.

thanks!

i dont think theres even a model for the BB6.. i do know Fujimi made a model for the older gen prelude though.. but very very few stores in town carry it... and i think the togue series kits are discontinued.. i somehow managed to grab the celica supra one locally.. :P

MG1 12-20-2010 04:40 PM

If any of you are wondering about hobby shops in New West, don't bother the two remaining shops are now gone. One of them closed because the dude retired. The other? Have no idea, but it's just gone. I drove around a few times then decided to go into a store nearby and hte lady there said. All gone.

I went on a hobby store run today. Went to J Hobby in Richmond. They were closed. Apparently, they have a pre Christmas sale on right now. 20 - 30% off. On till the 24th. I guess like a lot of places, they close on Monday. They only sell stuff imported directly from Japan - anime stuff (girls with big tits and skimpy outfits - not my bag). I then proceeded to Imperial Hobbies to scout out stuff. It's 25% off everything in the store on Boxing Day - actually all week. After that, I headed to Magic Box. They will be having a 20% off everything Boxing Day Sale. As for model kits, I will most likely end up ordering from Go Go Hobbies. They can get stuff for close to what the HK eBay people sell kits for with shipping.