REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Hobby Shops in the GVRD (https://www.revscene.net/forums/630106-hobby-shops-gvrd.html)

turbos86 09-23-2011 11:14 AM

Vancouver IPMS shows are pretty boring IMO, it's mostly Airplanes which I don't care about.

Did someone say N2?

Here's my latest creation from 2 months ago:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6889/p1000130s.jpg
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2205/p1000126s.jpg

Hide625 09-23-2011 11:40 AM

That's sick. Did you use one of the Aoshima kits for the base?

turbos86 09-23-2011 12:52 PM

Thanks!

It was built using an Aoshima TRD N2 kit with custom decal, Fujimi Long Champs, Photo etched GT-wing, etc~

Datsun 09-23-2011 01:26 PM

Wow, that is beast. Time to hunt down some Longchamps..

How do you get your tail lights to be tinted darker? Also, did the kit come with the rear diffuser? Love the T/A look of the build.

turbos86 09-23-2011 02:42 PM

Diffuser came with it, yeah. Tail lights tinted with Tamiya Smoke X-19.

Careful with them LongChamps, there are a few kinds, some are not deep dish.
I used these one (with different box art)
1/24 Long Champ Wheel & Tire XR-4 | HobbyLink Japan

Datsun 09-23-2011 04:11 PM

Nice. My 86 kit tail lights are molded in clear though, so I think what I have to do is paint the clear red and orange on the inside first and apply smoke on the outside. :confused:

Anyway, having seen that, I think one of my future builds will include a similar style 86 Levin coupe. I gotta source the photoetched wing brackets too for maximum cool. :concentrate:

MG1 09-23-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbos86 (Post 7588095)
Vancouver IPMS shows are pretty boring IMO, it's mostly Airplanes which I don't care about.

Then no wAnder it's boring to you.

Cars, meh.............

j/k.

To each their own. I'm not a fan of airplanes either, but I appreciate a good finished project when I see one.

Over9000 09-23-2011 05:38 PM

wow everyone has been building AE86s lol

Here's my itasha:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...955_n.jpg?dl=1

I have enough leftover stickers of lucky star in the kit to "hurt" an AE86 kit I have sitting around (Aoshima)

MG1 09-23-2011 10:18 PM

Saving up for this..........

Rakuten: [Toyo] Hasegawa / Japanese Navy Aircraft Carrier Akagi 1 / 350- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

With PE and wooden deck, it's going to be in the 500 - 600 dollar range and take about a year or two to build with all the PE parts. One of the last pieces of the puzzle for my IJN 1/350 collection.

Yamato
Musashi
Yukikaze
I-400 aircraft carrying sub
Mogami (half carrier version)
Tone
Nagato
Ayanami

I love the smell of glue..........

Senna4ever 09-24-2011 01:35 AM

^^^ That's a beautiful model!

I remember going to the toy department at the downtown Eaton's when I was a kid, and in the models area they had a model of the Yamato and it was about 3 feet long. I've always wanted one of those, and also a model of the Yamato from the Star Blazers anime.

Meowjin 09-24-2011 03:52 AM

im worried about all the hatsune miku fanboys in this thread.

Datsun 09-26-2011 06:43 PM

So the weather is getting cold again, as expected. :okay:

Anyone have tips for spray painting during the winter time (aerosol and airbrush methods)?

materials 10-02-2011 10:23 AM

I guess I'll pop my 3 year old RS cherry and make a post after 3 years of lurking. I'm generally a car/plane modeller so I had to bite.

I don't do a whole lot of painting in the winter because of the cold- causes orange peel and other funky stuff for me, but if I have to I set up a space heater in my garage with my airbrush and paint with the room a little warmer.

I don't aerosol so much anymore but what I used to do was turn the fan on in the bathroom, paper up the tub and paint in there. Just be careful covering the tub up because those Tamiya aerosols will NOT come off.

MG1 10-02-2011 12:55 PM

I got into airbrushing recently and have had fun so far, until this summer when it was uber hot. I guess I didn't thin the paint enough, but all I got were spider webs all over the model. It was fine enough that it didn't really spoil anything. Just kind of freaky seeing it like that for the first time.

Too hot, too cold. At least in the winter time, you can turn up the heater. BTW, I never paint in the house. Wife hates the smell, so I have a paint booth set up in the car hauler that I use as a workshop. The paint booth is vented to the outside and it works well for most things, except Tamiya white primer. That stuff gets all over the place. I have, however, discovered Valejo primer. It goes right into the airbrush and covers nicely. Not as wonderfully as the Tamiya, but a lot less messy.

Also, nice to see a lurker pop his cherry. A virgin no more............. I'll be the first to give you a thanks. May it be one of many.

Hide625 10-02-2011 04:11 PM

Any advice for using aerosol paint in an apartment? I really don't know where I can spray w/o making a mess. I'm pretty sure I'll get complaints about the smell as well if I do it out on the balcony...

MG1 10-02-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hide625 (Post 7599033)
Any advice for using aerosol paint in an apartment? I really don't know where I can spray w/o making a mess. I'm pretty sure I'll get complaints about the smell as well if I do it out on the balcony...

Before I got the spray booth, I would take my model to work and paint it there.

Paint only smells for a short while outside. Windy day, not good. Perhaps in underground parking next to the exhaust fan?

Datsun 10-02-2011 08:40 PM

Damn. I only have a small floodlamp in the garage as a heat source. The only solutions I can come up with is buying a cheap pedovan with a heater or get someone to wave a Shopvac around while I spray indoors. :lol

To be realistic, I wonder warming up a can of paint would work (using a tub of warm water). Then again I'm supposed to do that during regular weather.

materials 10-03-2011 09:12 AM

Well, a space heater like the one I use costs only like 20 bucks or so.

Warming paint does work, I think it just gives it a better consistency (you know how the pigments all clump up together and crap at the bottom of it)

MG1 10-03-2011 12:15 PM

Best deal is the lamp and heater combo they sell at Lee Valley Tools and Princess Auto.

Quartz Overhead Radiant Heater - Lee Valley Tools

That's what I have in the car hauler.

I also use a portable oil filled radiator. I got it from Costco last year. It keeps stuff in the car hauler from freezing.

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRH0715-Filled-Radiator-Heater/dp/B000FT1XZW

Datsun 10-03-2011 12:27 PM

Wow. didnt know they are that cheap, i was expecting them to cost at least $100.

At the moment Im looking at one of these but i hope it can warm up a 2 car garage inthe winter.
Likewise Ceramic Heater | Canadian Tire

edit: didnt see MG1's post. posting on phone takes forever, ror
Posted via RS Mobile

MG1 10-04-2011 09:09 PM

So, do any of you guys decant your paint?

I remember the first time I did it. It was an eye opener. OK, not quite as bad as paint in the eye, LOLOLOL, but pretty scary nonetheless.

MG1 10-04-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut (Post 7599917)
Wow. didnt know they are that cheap, i was expecting them to cost at least $100.

I was at Costco yesterday and they had the oil filled radiators on for $58.99.

benwang 10-04-2011 09:47 PM

just found this thread

how many of you do onroad race ?
i've been into rc onroad race for awhile

Datsun 10-04-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7601762)
I was at Costco yesterday and they had the oil filled radiators on for $58.99.

Too poor to spend that much :fullofwin:.
Might be getting this since it says its made for wider areas as opposed to small offices/rooms in my first link.

Garrison Ceramic Heater | Canadian Tire

materials 10-04-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7601751)
So, do any of you guys decant your paint?

I remember the first time I did it. It was an eye opener. OK, not quite as bad as paint in the eye, LOLOLOL, but pretty scary nonetheless.

Hellz yeah. Decant krylon fusion in white for easy well covering white paint! That stuff is cheap too.