REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 AM   #4101
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,115 Times in 422 Posts
Plows working round the clock right now in Coquitlam - 2am, they are scraping a lot of ice that froze over the past few hours.
Advertisement

2000 Honda Civic SiR Vogue Silver Metallic [EM1]
2001 Infiniti QX4 Tuscan Beige Metallic[R50]
Scoots
01' Honda Dio 50cc [AF27]

01' Honda Dio 72cc Big Bore [AF27]
89' Honda Elite R 49cc [SE50]
TopsyCrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:40 AM   #4102
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
where do you guys buy nokians? i only know of kal tire, and their prices are expensive compared to what i see in the USA... are there any other places on this side of the border that carry them?

At some point last night a plow only made a single pass down the middle of the road and created walls of snow on either side because they hadn't done anything since last morning. You couldn't pull over to the side to let someone else pass and soon enough two cars hit each other and blocked the road. For all I know the cars are stiil out there.

As for today's commute... i had to ask for no pay leave because i don't have enough holiday time to cover it. I'm too scared to take the Port Mann and traffic reports are saying the Pattullo and everything around it is all black ice... It's just not worth it
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 AM   #4103
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Nokian's are exclusive to Kal Tire so no one should be able to get them here.
Closest might be Discount tire Direct in Bellingham as I remember seeing that listed on their website last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #4104
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I love the Nokians. One of the best winter tires out there. I've got Michelin Xice on my truck and had no issues yesterday and this morning. People with all season tires are hooped on any kind of hill.

Below freezing, you have to have winter tires. On main roads you could probably get away with it, but side roads, not good.

Your passengers and you are worth more than a set of tires, me thinks.

I'm as frugal as any asian could be, but I don't cheap out when it comes to safety.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #4105
I STILL don't get it

Waiting for my winters to arrive, but some of the newer all seasons are doing surprisingly well (running Falken ZE950s). No issues braking or maneuvering yesterday, had a slow start on some of the slush though, and I live on a hill
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #4106
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Love my Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's. My driveway is steeply graded and a full sheet of ice to boot. Haven't had a problem getting in or out of it yet. My R2's a couple years back were good but fared better in snow than in ice.

As MG1 said, don't cheap out on tires. They're literally the only thing keeping you on the road. Tires are one of those things where I'll go out of my way to spend as much money as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acura.jpg (90.8 KB, 0 views)
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #4107
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Bow down to his guy!

Scary winter scooter ride fuels outpouring of generosity
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #4108
Witness protection

there was a dude on a ruckus-type electric scooter bombing across the pattullo yesterday afternoon on the unplowed sidewalk... he was doing pretty good too, unless he did a wipeout after he passed me.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #4109
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
My hakkapeliitta R2s are awesome all around. Comfortable, little road noise and great in cold weather/snow.

Solid investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #4110
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
i run those not so great all weather nokians. only do because my GF had near new ones from an old car of hers, and i snagged new OEM steelies for $50/set. so really i got a set of winter tires for almost free. they run like absolute champs too. though once these burn out i'll definitely upgrade to some 18" snow tires on another spare set of wheels i have. most likely bridgestone blizzak ws-80 as i have loved their performance, and wear nicely too

my street yesterday in the morning. it kept snowing more and more, but now its mostly gone

Untitled by 320iCar, on Flickr
Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #4111
MG1

All weather tires are much better than all season tires. They have the snowflake on mountain logo - they gotta be good.

Anyway, make sure you keep your washer fluid topped up. Good thing I got them on Black Friday sale. 4 jugs for $5. At Rona. Good to -45 §∞¡™£¢∞§¶•ªº where the hell is my degree symbol, lol.

EDIT:

-45˚

found it! Not sure if it'll show up properly on non-Mac users, though.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #4112
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
All weather tires are much better than all season tires. They have the snowflake on mountain logo - they gotta be good.

Anyway, make sure you keep your washer fluid topped up. Good thing I got them on Black Friday sale. 4 jugs for $5. At Rona. Good to -45 §∞¡™£¢∞§¶•ªº where the hell is my degree symbol, lol.

EDIT:

-45˚

found it! Not sure if it'll show up properly on non-Mac users, though.
Thanks for the reminder. I had to use a lot to clean my windows while driving to work this morning. The stuff getting kicked up dries hard and makes it difficult to see through the front windshield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #4113
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
So many idiots dropping sheets of ice/snow off their rooftops.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #4114
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Went to Kal-Tire right when they opened. They had appointments from the prior night, but said my tires would be installed before noon. Since it was 7:30 when I dropped 'em off, I walked home and slept until they called. The walk back was nice. It was sunny, and I discovered my new glasses were transitions .
Old 12-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #4115
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts

10/10

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #4116
My homepage has been set to RS

I'm running on Nokian hakkapeliitta's. Had no issues yesterday or today. I have a bit of a hill on my street, and it was quite icy this morning. No issues going up from a standstill. It's likely my least season on them as the tread is almost down to the snowflake wear indicator.

I used to run WRG2's and they worked very well in wet/slush or snow conditions, but were not very good on ice. Not sure how the WRG3's are on ice. Still better than running an all-season tire.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #4117
Witness protection

w/reference to the video above about the collars... that's it??? a chain link they drop from the top? i'm so screwed this thursday because i'm not going relive that 3+hour hell i went through last monday on the pattullo

Province investigating damage from Port Mann, Alex Fraser bridge ice bombs - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 12-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #4118
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
I left work 30 min early anticipating ice. I arrived.. 30 minutes early, luckily ice wasn't too much of a problem except in my own alley.

I think the snow is partially responsible for keeping out some of the shitty drivers I normally see, I mean the ones that I typically see driving 35-40 in optimal conditions in the left lane are probably too scared to drive right now, thank goodness.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #4119

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
w/reference to the video above about the collars... that's it??? a chain link they drop from the top?[/url]
I'm not sure how a chain will remove the ice from forming underneath the cable = more ice bombs?
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #4120
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
When the weather wasn't even remotely poor outside today and the evening rush hour was still a gongshow, a bunch of idiots driving 75-80 on 99
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #4121
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
when the port man first had the ice bombs they had things that looked like remote control cars which encircled the whole pipe.. now they dropping peices of chain?..
Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #4122

Thanked 3,104 Times in 974 Posts
Another snowfall warning for this Thursday.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #4123
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Fire the engineers who designed Port Mann ... those chain links are so ghetto. Did they hire a 2nd year Engineering student intern to design that? Sorry, no insult to 2nd year Eng students intended ... they can probably do better!!

Someone is going to die - ice bomb falls, driver shock, lose control of car, cause a chain reaction ... pile up. This will be worst than the FastCat fiasco.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #4124
MG1

One thing I want know......... are all transit busses equipped with good snow tires?

I saw a bus stuck on a vary small hill going foward downhill (Pender at Gore) and spinning wheels....... this is foward down a hill. Can you not let it coast? No snow, car, or even a dead rat in front, either. Driver was trying to back up a few times with no luck. Then yesterday, on Commercial, in front of the York Theatre, tandem bus got stuck to the point all passenges had to get off. Southbound was completely blocked and half of the northbound lane. Good thing nobody was parked on the northbound side, so drivers could sneak by. Maybe poor driving skills?

Old 12-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #4125
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
^I think someone posted a few pages back that their friend (who drives a bus) posted a pic of his summer tires.... so glad I can take the skytrain directly to/from work. My rx7 does not like the snow. Or hills. Or ice. I'm pretty sure it just hates life right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: