REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #301
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
quick question, my passport is about to expire before my application for a new passport is submitted and i get the new one back ( i know i know im lazy as fuck ) how will this affect my nexus card? ill be calling on friday, but looking for an answer if anyone knows if not ill just wait til CBSA tells me the ordeal. And do you guys think if i give my passport in (this friday) with my application, can i still cross the border with my nexus (but i wont have my passport on my person )
I never carry my passport when crossing on land. I only carry my nexus when driving over the border for gas or day trips.
You just need both when traveling by air.
Advertisement
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #302
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
quick question, my passport is about to expire before my application for a new passport is submitted and i get the new one back ( i know i know im lazy as fuck ) how will this affect my nexus card? ill be calling on friday, but looking for an answer if anyone knows if not ill just wait til CBSA tells me the ordeal. And do you guys think if i give my passport in (this friday) with my application, can i still cross the border with my nexus (but i wont have my passport on my person )
You can change the passport linked to your NEXUS card on the GEOS site.

My only concern would be that there could be the possibility that your passport is cancelled when they issue the new passport. I'd put money on the fact that the NEXUS card is tied to your passport so if you try to use it when the old passport is cancelled and the new one is issued (which will be an entirely different passport number) you could run into problems.

I'd wait until you get your new passport before trying crossing. If you need it in a hurry, then get it expedited.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #303
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post

My only concern would be that there could be the possibility that your passport is cancelled when they issue the new passport. I'd put money on the fact that the NEXUS card is tied to your passport so if you try to use it when the old passport is cancelled and the new one is issued (which will be an entirely different passport number) you could run into problems.

I'd wait until you get your new passport before trying crossing. If you need it in a hurry, then get it expedited.
I went through this process however I planned it out so I would get my new (renewed) passport first, update it on GOES, then once updated, use NEXUS. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I still managed to pass through no problem despite my old passport being cut by Service Canada and the new passport in transit.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-02-2013 at 01:20 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #304
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Hmm, I was wondering...

Interview Date: Mar 16, 2013

Interview Time: 14:15

Enrollment Center: Blaine Enrollment Center

What time would you guys head down there? Since it's a sat.... and there might be some crazy lineup
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #305
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post

if you're crossing by land it shouldn't matter if ur passport is expired, i crossed at least a dozen times not realizing my passport had been expired 6 months.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #306
RS controls my life!

so i managed to bump up my wifes appointment by like 2 months but its in blain. from what i understand they don't have the retina scan. do you need to book anything to get the retina scan or could we just go to the airport early when we are flying out in june and get the scan done before we check in?
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #307
Why'd you do that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
so i managed to bump up my wifes appointment by like 2 months but its in blain. from what i understand they don't have the retina scan. do you need to book anything to get the retina scan or could we just go to the airport early when we are flying out in june and get the scan done before we check in?
There's a retina scan on the canada side of the border and they can take you in on a walk-in basis. I just did my NEXUS a month ago and that's what the guys' said on the US side.

Goodluck!
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #308
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
you need to do it 24 hours in advance.

can't just do the scan outside and expect it to work right away.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #309
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I was told I could do the retina scan the same day I was flying out. But it's probably safer to do it earlier anyway, just in case.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #310
RS controls my life!

cool thanks guys. i already have mine but my wife had to do a name change before applying and now we want it before going away this summer.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #311
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone applied recently? I can't submit my application because the website isn't accepting payments and says to pay another time.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #312
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
Anyone applied recently? I can't submit my application because the website isn't accepting payments and says to pay another time.
Probably due to US government shut-down. Border Services is essential and still operational, but they're probably not accepting any new ones.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #313
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Probably due to US government shut-down. Border Services is essential and still operational, but they're probably not accepting any new ones.
I applied about a week ago and everything went smoothly
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
I applied about a week ago and everything went smoothly
It shut down October 1st...lol maybe you JUST missed it?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #315
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Just did my nexus interview on friday
Went pretty smoothly

US Side:
Asked for mother's maiden name
Confirmed my address
Have you ever had any problems crossing the border?
Any criminal record?

Can side:
Confirmed my address
Retina scan
Gave me the booklet with the nexus rules and showed me how to activate the card online
Good to go
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #316
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
It shut down October 1st...lol maybe you JUST missed it?
Did it on Friday the 4th
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #317
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Update, made the payment just now without hiccup.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #318
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I signed up over a month ago and my status is still pending review.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #319

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saveth View Post
I signed up over a month ago and my status is still pending review.
Posted via RS Mobile
same here. figure it's due to the shutdown.
Posted via RS Mobile
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #320
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Actually I just got my conditional approval about an hour ago. Earliest interview date is Dec 26 in Blaine. At first it was Feb 25 but I tried again and got an earlier date.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #321

^Keep checking the website, at all times. My girlfriend had her interview 5 days after conditional approval and i got mine in 2 weeks.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #322
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Under normal conditions, whats the average time from submitting your application to getting your conditional approval?
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #323
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
Under normal conditions, whats the average time from submitting your application to getting your conditional approval?
Mine took 3-4 weeks
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #324
I don't get it

I'm planning on applying for NEXUS. They ask for your employment history for the last 5 years. The last 4 of 5 years I was still in school and held various part time jobs and co-op positions. Do you think it's necessary to include every one of them or might it be OK to just put down that I was a student for those years?
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #325
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minata View Post
I'm planning on applying for NEXUS. They ask for your employment history for the last 5 years. The last 4 of 5 years I was still in school and held various part time jobs and co-op positions. Do you think it's necessary to include every one of them or might it be OK to just put down that I was a student for those years?
I would recommend that you take the time to detail all the changes in your employment history including the various part-time jobs.

It would totally suck for you if the US or CAD border guards find out that you weren't very detailed in your application which gives them reasonable grounds to start digging even deeper. In the worst case scenario, if they conclude that you were grossly negligent in completing your application with diligence then they could deny your application.

It is well worth the extra time to be detailed with your application. You don't want to give them a reason to be difficult with you.

Last edited by adrnlnrush00; 11-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
adrnlnrush00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: