REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Port Mann Construction (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632685-port-mann-construction.html)

falcon 12-19-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8110996)
^That article says they're having the same problem now on the Alex Fraser, and it's been there for 20 years, apparently without this happening before.

I can see it happening there... although the design of the PM is a bit different with all the bridge stays going over the lanes.

It's not going to happen everytime it snows... likely a mix of snow/rain/freezing then rapid warming.

MG1 12-19-2012 01:45 PM

Damn, I guess it's the Mission Bridge for me today. I was about to leave for home when a co-worker told me about the bridge being closed.

Tapioca 12-19-2012 01:45 PM

Of course, the peanut gallery on News1130 has not hesitated from whining about the bridge's design flaws.

The people in this city sometimes...
Posted via RS Mobile

Traum 12-19-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8111044)
Of course, the peanut gallery on News1130 has not hesitated from whining about the bridge's design flaws.

The people in this city sometimes...
Posted via RS Mobile

Can you blame them though? The bridge is a billion dollar project that has just finished and hasn't even been in operation for a month, and now it happens. Apparently, similar incidents have occurred in the US as well, so it makes you think if the engineers have really done their homework.

k3lv 12-19-2012 02:16 PM

If it wasn't a big deal then they wouldn't have shut it down. Billion dollar bridge, implemented tolls, and is now advertised as "the easy and efficient way", and they have to close cause the design team and engineers neglected that we are prone to having snow once in a while.. what a bitch.

StylinRed 12-19-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8111042)
Damn, I guess it's the Mission Bridge for me today. I was about to leave for home when a co-worker told me about the bridge being closed.

you and everyone else :heckno: congesting my streets in ridge :devil:

;)

Soundy 12-19-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8111022)
I can see it happening there... although the design of the PM is a bit different with all the bridge stays going over the lanes.

True. Actually, with the Alex Fraser, I wouldn't be surprised that wind blowing chunks off the cables would be a factor... that design does also have the two cross-pieces between towers, over the roadway. The other similar types of bridges - Pitt River and Golden Ears - don't have any portion of the structure crossing over the roadway.

Quote:

It's not going to happen everytime it snows... likely a mix of snow/rain/freezing then rapid warming.
Yeah, I'd think if it was really that common an issue, we'd see a lot more of it on the other bridges - wouldn't take much wind to blow pieces off and onto the road. Still, with the stays actually going over the road, anything falling off is inherently more dangerous, and they'll have to do something to fix it.

604nguyen 12-19-2012 02:49 PM

" Hey lets design the bridge have all the suspending cables cross over the entire span of the bridge! :derp:"

I wonder what they're going to do to fix this? Heat trace each suspension cable? lol

Tapioca 12-19-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8111053)
Can you blame them though? The bridge is a billion dollar project that has just finished and hasn't even been in operation for a month, and now it happens. Apparently, similar incidents have occurred in the US as well, so it makes you think if the engineers have really done their homework.

So, do you build something that takes into account every freak weather pattern?

Or, do you risk manage and save money and time in the process?

I'm not sure of the choice myself. I challenge someone to give a reasoned answer.
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 12-19-2012 03:08 PM

^^^^ we're a rainforest with storms throughout the year, we get snow every year, is it inconceivable to get what we got last night once or twice a year? not at all (especially since what we got was nothing)

bloodline129 12-19-2012 03:10 PM

Do it right the first time... Especially a damn public bridge lol... Now they gonna hire more smart asses to figure out a solution for the first fail :P
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 12-19-2012 03:17 PM

Translink is now selling these:

http://www.yourhrexperts.com/blog/wp...er_car-vi1.jpg

:derp:

striderblade 12-19-2012 03:18 PM

Any idea when the bridge will be open up again?

inv4zn 12-19-2012 03:23 PM

between 5 to 7 according to "officials."

Tapioca 12-19-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodline129 (Post 8111130)
Do it right the first time... Especially a damn public bridge lol... Now they gonna hire more smart asses to figure out a solution for the first fail :P
Posted via RS Mobile

People are always quick to assume that the people behind these projects are idiots.

In the public sector, any time public money gets spent for anything, questions get asked hundreds of times before anything gets approved. This issue was probably raised but, based on what has happened, it appears that the design was risk-managed.

I know most of you probably disagree in light of the results, but sometimes, you can't put a square peg into a round hole. The design of the bridge was probably the most cost-effective considering the requirements (width of the span, etc.) I imagine that heat tubes would have added many millions to the project.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hondaracer 12-19-2012 03:37 PM

Bitch bitch bitch
Posted via RS Mobile

Lomac 12-19-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8111128)
^^^^ we're a rainforest with storms throughout the year, we get snow every year, is it inconceivable to get what we got last night once or twice a year? not at all (especially since what we got was nothing)

No one is denying the fact that we get snow down here, lest of all the engineers. What we normally don't get, however, is a night of snow and freezing ice, only for it to warm right up after a few hours. Typical weather would allow the ice on the bridge to slowly warm up over time, allowing it to drip off... not fall down in chunks.

No, this is not the first time it's happened in the past (I can remember it happening only once on the old Port Mann in the past), but it happens so infrequently that it's almost a non-issue when it comes to bridge designs down here.

yray 12-19-2012 03:39 PM

okay, lets take down this bridge and build a new one :troll:

Soundy 12-19-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8111124)
I'm not sure of the choice myself. I challenge someone to give a reasoned answer.
Posted via RS Mobile

This is Revscene, don't hold your breath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8111128)

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the situation of ice building up and falling off is found to be a VERY rare result of this specific combination of weather conditions. A half-degree change in temperature either way... a slight breeze while the snow was falling... a fractionally different mix of rain and snow... the smallest thing could have changed and potentially none of it would have happened.

That's the whole idea of risk management: you put in all the known factors, you determine the likelihood that a certain scenario will occur, you figure out what it will cost to mitigate that likelihood... and proceed from there. For all we know, this possibility was known, the chances of it occurring were calculated, and it was deemed it would cost more to prevent than it was worth.

And then again, maybe it's true, with all the hundreds of similar cable-stayed bridge designs in the world, nobody actually thought of this possibility.

Obviously, in standard RS fashion, everyone assumes the latter and that these things spend years on the drawing board under the pencils of barely-trained monkeys rather than several levels of high-priced, well-schooled engineers.

Soundy 12-19-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8111154)
No, this is not the first time it's happened in the past (I can remember it happening only once on the old Port Mann in the past), but it happens so infrequently that it's almost a non-issue when it comes to bridge designs down here.

When you think about it, all the old "arch" style bridges have plenty of structure over the roadway as well - lots of room for ice and snow to build up and then fall off. The only significant difference here is that the supports are all sharply sloped, rather than horizontal.

JesseBlue 12-19-2012 03:58 PM

Look at it this way... For not using the bridge, you saved a couple of bucks...go to the dollar store and buy something...russell p. will be proud of you...
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 12-19-2012 04:25 PM

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...65238920_n.jpg

StylinRed 12-19-2012 06:42 PM

supposedly the eastbound tacoma narrows bridge had to be closed last winter because of the same issue

it was also built by Kiewit

the tacoma narrows' cables don't cross the lanes though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8111165)

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the situation of ice building up and falling off is found to be a VERY rare result of this specific combination of weather conditions. A half-degree change in temperature either way... a slight breeze while the snow was falling... a fractionally different mix of rain and snow... the smallest thing could have changed and potentially none of it would have happened.

That's the whole idea of risk management: you put in all the known factors, you determine the likelihood that a certain scenario will occur, you figure out what it will cost to mitigate that likelihood... and proceed from there. For all we know, this possibility was known, the chances of it occurring were calculated, and it was deemed it would cost more to prevent than it was worth.

And then again, maybe it's true, with all the hundreds of similar cable-stayed bridge designs in the world, nobody actually thought of this possibility.

Obviously, in standard RS fashion, everyone assumes the latter and that these things spend years on the drawing board under the pencils of barely-trained monkeys rather than several levels of high-priced, well-schooled engineers.

well they do do tests and simulations for ice build-up; and we know now that similar cases have occurred with cabled bridges built by the same company; i agree though that it was probably determined that they would take the risk of it happening

Soundy 12-19-2012 07:10 PM

It's not the fault of those who actually built it, either - if anything the problem lies in the actual design, particularly of the cable sheaths, and the material they're made of, all of which allowed the ice to build up. The ones building it have little or no say in that - they're given the plans and they follow what those tell them to do.

LiquidTurbo 12-19-2012 09:08 PM

The 'perfect' bridge could have been built. But the same people whining about this would instead be bitching about the $20 toll.

It is rather unlucky. I suspect this sort of thing won't happen again anytime soon, even in another snowstorm. It was just an unlucky sort of variables. We'll just have to see.