REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #51
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeDrink View Post
lol not really, the Miami heat? the Bulls? thunder? and there are plenty of solid teams(suns, hornets, knicks) in that group and yes a lot of junk teams too, so your saying unless we can afford a 91 million dollar Lakers franchise we shouldn't have a team ?
2009 salaries for each team:

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team

this year the Heat's salaries are just under 70 million

if you are not in the 65+ million dollar cap, your not winning a championship, it's as simple as that, in the last 30 years, only 9 different teams have won the championship

of those 30 years, Lakers have won 11 titles

the bottom teams in terms of cap DO NOT compete. and even the teams you mentioned may "compete" but competing =/ winning
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #52
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

If there is a cap in NBA, Vancouver is a very valid location!

Packers are competitive because of the cap in NFL
pure.life is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #53
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure.life View Post
Packers are competitive because of the cap in NFL
Packers are a staple of the NFL and have been for decades. That is a football town through and through. Pretty dumb comparison to the NBA in Vancouver
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #54
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
2009 salaries for each team:

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team

this year the Heat's salaries are just under 70 million

if you are not in the 65+ million dollar cap, your not winning a championship, it's as simple as that, in the last 30 years, only 9 different teams have won the championship

of those 30 years, Lakers have won 11 titles

the bottom teams in terms of cap DO NOT compete. and even the teams you mentioned may "compete" but competing =/ winning
you realize there is only 1 winner every year right ? so simply based on the fact that we are more than likely not going to win the whole thing we shouldn't have a team ? when was the last time the Canucks won the cup? yet they have the support of a lot of fans. The knicks in the early 2000's had a payroll of well over 100million but they blew balls lol and the pistons were one of the better teams of the last decade without blowing up their salary cap. So in the end all I'm trying to say is they could still be profitable ( of course we won't know how the management really will work out) just because you don't win a championship doesn't mean you can't make a profit.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #55
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
you realize there is only 1 winner every year right ? so simply based on the fact that we are more than likely not going to win the whole thing we shouldn't have a team ? when was the last time the Canucks won the cup? yet they have the support of a lot of fans. The knicks in the early 2000's had a payroll of well over 100million but they blew balls lol and the pistons were one of the better teams of the last decade without blowing up their salary cap. So in the end all I'm trying to say is they could still be profitable ( of course we won't know how the management really will work out) just because you don't win a championship doesn't mean you can't make a profit.
^ what he said..
NinjaAceYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Hornets may be coming, but Chris Paul will definitely not come, i can't picture him playing with a Canadian team, i just can't
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #57
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Aside from shitty management the biggest thing that hurt the Grizz was the dollar. The dollar now is much stronger so it could work.
excellent point.
not too long ago, the only teams doing well financially in canada were the leafs and the canadiens.... the rest were receiving government subsidy by way of lottery revenue. so you're being paid in canadian dollars, and writing cheques in american dollars. the grizzlies were owned by an american with no interest in keeping the team in vancouver. local ownership is key. do i want a basketball team in vancouver? no. it fucks up the ice (mixed use facilities are notorious for bad ice). do i think it has a better chance of success? yes. not only do the aquilini's have a track record of success, they have the support of the community and the benefit of the 2nd chance.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #58
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i remember way back the grizzlie's record was like 2-19 when we had Mike Bibby and big country hahah it's pretty fail tema back then
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #59

Quote:
i think the point is that if you are not competing, it is difficult to attract fans. vancouver isnt a hockey town, they are a canucks town... a canucks game is the place to be because of our rockstar players and our winning seasons (like LA lakers). if it was a hockey town, giants games would be sold out every night. they werent even sold out for the memorial cup. anomalies like toronto (hockey), dallas (football), new york, etc can have losing season after losing season because of the heritage associated with their sport and the generations of fans... hockey doesnt work in phoenix because they are sub-par AND there's no heritage there. basketball didnt work in vancouver for the same reason. pro sports teams play to get into the playoffs, where the actual profit can be had. big names get asses in seats, but when the playoffs start ticket prices go up and salaries drop off. it is very difficult for a team to earn a profit unless they make it into the playoffs... which is why they invest so heavily into their rosters.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #60
RS controls my life!

I think this is the last year on Yao Ming's contract, he could be a marketable commodity here if he's still able to play
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #61
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

It will work and the first thing I would do is trade Cp3 for Jermey Lin, Stephan Curry and David lee. But in order for the NBA to work here a hard cap needs to be in place to keep the league competitive.
g604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #62
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rickster View Post
i think the point is that if you are not competing, it is difficult to attract fans. vancouver isnt a hockey town, they are a canucks town... a canucks game is the place to be because of our rockstar players and our winning seasons (like LA lakers). if it was a hockey town, giants games would be sold out every night. they werent even sold out for the memorial cup. anomalies like toronto (hockey), dallas (football), new york, etc can have losing season after losing season because of the heritage associated with their sport and the generations of fans... hockey doesnt work in phoenix because they are sub-par AND there's no heritage there. basketball didnt work in vancouver for the same reason. pro sports teams play to get into the playoffs, where the actual profit can be had. big names get asses in seats, but when the playoffs start ticket prices go up and salaries drop off. it is very difficult for a team to earn a profit unless they make it into the playoffs... which is why they invest so heavily into their rosters.
I don't disagree, I actually said that earlier too that they need to be competitive to have a fan base but what I was disagreeing with is the fact that we need to win a championship, like you said the Canucks are our thing here but when was the last time they won the cup or went deep into the playoffs? but yet they are selling out because they are exciting and competitive right ? which is what I was trying to say with the basketball team in order to be profitable.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #63

dont hate having 1 sports team in Vancouver just doesn't do this city justice.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #64
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
if u want to lure nba superstars to vancouver, the marijuana law needs to be adjusted
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #65

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Keep in mind that the Canucks have a large chunk of corporate sponsors too. Back in the day, corporate support wasn't as much as today. I guess we'll wait till the Whitecaps and MLS starts here and we can tell if Vancity is good for alternative sports teams.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #66
Fanboy

Im stoked for getting an NBA franchise back in our city.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #67
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rickster View Post
Miami has lebron, wade and bosh, yet the arena doesnt fill up
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

shareef earned 72/5 yrs with us and he was nba top 15 lol...
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
Miami has lebron, wade and bosh, yet the arena doesnt fill up
thats miami that your talking about they do this for all sports worse band wagoners ever.

the thing about miami is that there is no middle class either you'r rich or poor and alot of those fans arrive late
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #70
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I'd welcome a team, but I agree an NBA franchise would fail in Vancouver. Still, the old Grizzlies of Bibby, Dickerson, Reef, Country could smoke the current Cavs.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #71
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Fact is this. Canucks sports and entertainment has local support. If infact it comes back, it doesn't matter what the first two years will be like, give it a few seasons and the end result will start to show whether pro basketball will work. You can almost garauntee that corporate support will show the first few years in town due to the relationships a lot of the businesses have with Canucks sports and entertainment. It's when the product fails and starts to suck that will show whether the move was right or wrong.

Keep in mind, that this is a good chance to extend the invitation to Seattle to come back up for the NBA, which means that's another source of income where the money could come in outside of the city.

Basketball can work in the pacific northwest. Especially since our dollar Is strong, and many things have changed in the past 10 years.

I for one stand strongly for the support of organized sport for young kids. Not only is it healthy, it allows franchises to build for the future. Especially if the new team is here to stay, then the kids playing will have become future buyers into the product.

But with that said, the NBA needs to figure out their labor disputes before any of this can go forward. A salary cap allows competition and as someone mentioned above, it is why the NFL can have small markets like. Green bay come up big.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #72

can somebody tell me why an NBA franchise will fail in Vancouver?
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #73
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I'm all for this! I would be so excited if the NBA came back to Vancouver!
I'm an avid basketball fan! Lovin' the Clips right now, Blakezilla is a beast and lazy bum B-Diddy is still one of my faves!
So sad I didn't even get a chance to watch the Grizz before they moved away! I would go to as many games as my work schedule permits if the NBA came back! I watched the Raptors vs Phoenix pre-season game at Roger's Arena this year and it was tons of fun!

Vancouver is a boring city so we have the Canucks to keep us entertained, I wonder if we have 2 professional (competitive) teams in town then they might even lower the Canucks prices too since the demand won't be as high!
Canucks tickets are so ridiculously expensive I can only afford to go to a couple games a year...

The logic of NBA players making more salary doesn't affect how profitable the team could be.
NBA teams have a maximum roster limit of 12 players.
NHL teams ice 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and 2 goalies every game, that's 20 players with the league minimum salary of $500,000. That's an extra $4 million right there not to mention possible players that are healthy scratches taking up another half million in the press box.
Another factor is that in the NBA there are the superstars (as mentioned earlier) such as CP3 (Chris Paul) making $16m and then there are a bunch of scrubs on the team making peanuts whereas in the NHL there are a bunch of "middle ground" players such as Keith Ballard (Canucks 5th string D-man) making 4.2m. Luongo is slated to make $10m this year too.
I strongly agree that the NBA needs the new CBA agreement to implement the hard cap so the rest of the league can become more competitive. Teams like the Lakers dumping their infinite source of income into their roster (and charging insane ticket prices upwards of thousands of dollars in the process) to win 5 championships in 10 years is really annoying. It doesn't take a genius to throw money around.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718

Last edited by Obsideon; 02-16-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #74

more teams = good for restaurants and bars downtown vancouver
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #75
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

If the Aquilini's are up for it... I'll be up for it and support it when I can... I think back at times when Jordan was still playing and I couldn't watch him live as I was still young or a broke ass and couldn't afford tix lol.. I want to be able to catch Kobe (I only saw him live once) or any other stars... I don't want to go to Portland just to catch the game..

I'd be down to Seattle or Vancouver!!
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: