REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #76
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,258 Times in 474 Posts
1. Cleveland Cavaliers - 26 Losses
Season: 2010–11 Record: 09–46

2. Cleveland Cavaliers - 24 Losses
Season: 1981–1982 Record: 15–67

3. Vancouver Grizzlies - 23 Losses
Season: 1995-96 Record: 23–59

At least we're not 2nd place anymore!

The NBA as a whole has got much more mainstream as well. Average attendance in even the smallest markets have continually gone up in increments at least 40% in the last 10 years and I'll bet that Vancouver won't be the worst market in the NBA for sure!
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #77
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Fact is this. Canucks sports and entertainment has local support. If infact it comes back, it doesn't matter what the first two years will be like, give it a few seasons and the end result will start to show whether pro basketball will work. You can almost garauntee that corporate support will show the first few years in town due to the relationships a lot of the businesses have with Canucks sports and entertainment. It's when the product fails and starts to suck that will show whether the move was right or wrong.

Keep in mind, that this is a good chance to extend the invitation to Seattle to come back up for the NBA, which means that's another source of income where the money could come in outside of the city.

Basketball can work in the pacific northwest. Especially since our dollar Is strong, and many things have changed in the past 10 years.

I for one stand strongly for the support of organized sport for young kids. Not only is it healthy, it allows franchises to build for the future. Especially if the new team is here to stay, then the kids playing will have become future buyers into the product.

But with that said, the NBA needs to figure out their labor disputes before any of this can go forward. A salary cap allows competition and as someone mentioned above, it is why the NFL can have small markets like. Green bay come up big.
I'll just add a few more points to your already well written comments.

1) Vancouver, for all its foibles, is still 100x better than New Orleans and are in a much much better financial state. Watch a Hornets game now, you see more empty seats than People

2) Should we get this team, this team will already have credible talent up and down the roster (not GREAT but credible), and you have one of the rarest commodities in the NBA - A superstar. Everyone wants one, no one can ever get one.

3) Seattle/Vancouver/Portland - that was probably too many teams in one area. With 2? You're splitting the Fans at least in Washington

4) As we've seen with the Canucks since they took over, Aquilini has shown that they are competent and know how to run a sports team properly. Since they're local you know they won't be looking to move the team at the first stroke of failure, which would give fans confidence and will have their continued support despite initial setbacks

5) I don't think Vancouver would face the same logistical problems as Toronto. Vancouver has a much milder climate, I honestly think the cold is a legitimate deterrent for a Black guy (or anyone) that’s lived in warm weather all his life, Vancouver is much more concentrated than Toronto, and as Rodman put it on the Apprentice “I love the strip clubs in Vancouver”.

6) Most important point, the financial model will be different. NBA has come out many times to say that they are losing boat loads of money ($300 mil US last year). The owners want a collection of things that will lower the overall costs for the league. These things include: Lower salaries, short term guaranteed contracts, possibly a Franchise tag like the NFL on their players, and a hard cap like the NHL. All these things prevent teams from spending out of control and/or signing guys to horrible contracts (i.e. Rashard Lewis).

But you know what, I think Stern is just blowing smoke up our asses to make us feel better. I don’t seriously think he’ll let us have a team again when places like Las Vegas are in talks again.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #78
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Rogers Arena also probably has some of the best facilities of any arena in the NBA thanks to the major reno recently. Big selling point.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #79
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Vancouver is mutlicultral good way to getting the sport advertised to the rest of the world
g604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by g604 View Post
Vancouver is mutlicultral good way to getting the sport advertised to the rest of the world
I honestly don't think the NBA is too aware, or cares even about the rest of the world as much as they claim to.

Example: you know how the NHL playoffs are played every other day, regardless of which day it lands on? Well the NBA always stretches a series to get 2 to 3 Sunday games in. Harmless right? Except that all of Asia is working on a Monday morning and won't be able to watch any games on the weekend (and Europe is asleep in the wee hours of Monday morning). This angers me to no end because I now work in Asia, and when that one game lands on Saturday in the playoffs, it almost always gets taken away. So I really don't think they care TOO much.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #81
boot boot car

Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
alot of you here speak like Canucks have always been tops in the league and tops in attendance/popularity, well it hasn't.

please remember it wasn't too long ago that the Canucks sucked monkey balls and could hardly draw in a crowd

i dont kno where i'm going with this, but alot of you make the Canucks sound like they're the model franchise of the world which is totally untrue
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
I honestly don't think the NBA is too aware, or cares even about the rest of the world as much as they claim to.

Example: you know how the NHL playoffs are played every other day, regardless of which day it lands on? Well the NBA always stretches a series to get 2 to 3 Sunday games in. Harmless right? Except that all of Asia is working on a Monday morning and won't be able to watch any games on the weekend (and Europe is asleep in the wee hours of Monday morning). This angers me to no end because I now work in Asia, and when that one game lands on Saturday in the playoffs, it almost always gets taken away. So I really don't think they care TOO much.
thats how it is sunday is TV time in America but by brining the NBA to Vancouver brings a slight chance of increasing the game popularity overseas.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #83

Quote:
thats how it is sunday is TV time in America but by brining the NBA to Vancouver brings a slight chance of increasing the game popularity overseas.
I know Sunday is a TV day, but there is no tradition in the US to tailgate, have a giant bbq, get together to watch an NBA game like the NFL. NBA games don't get very high ratings anyways. So what I am arguing is, if you a game (more often) in a internationally neutral time, more people would get access to it, therefore you get more Ad revenue/exposure.

And you need to explain how a team in Vancouver can general popularity overseas. I don't completely follow what you're saying.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #84
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 7,286 Times in 2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
alot of you here speak like Canucks have always been tops in the league and tops in attendance/popularity, well it hasn't.

please remember it wasn't too long ago that the Canucks sucked monkey balls and could hardly draw in a crowd

i dont kno where i'm going with this, but alot of you make the Canucks sound like they're the model franchise of the world which is totally untrue
those points reinforce how much harder it would be to establish a NBA franchise here

Blake price basically went on a 10 minute rant just now puting exclamation points on all the points i've already brought up regarding FA's and how no one will want to come play here

it's one thing to think of rainbows and ponies and it would be all great having another NBA franchise here, it's another to form yet a 2nd losing NBA franchise and look like a continual joke on the north american sports landscape outside of the NHL

as for my point regarding ignorant american players and their desire to not play in Canada, 3/4 of the raptors are non-north american.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #85

vancouver is very multicultural compared to cities like Kanas City, Kentucky, Pittsburg and if the NBA does good over here would make visitors from the middle east, asia, europe be more interested in the sport and might develop a connection to it. Its a good way to introduce and market the sport to foreign viewers.

For example I know a couple of people that come from the UK, Phillipines etc that don't know shit about Hockey but once they come here and watch the Canucks they slowly get hooked.

Do you kinda get what I am saying I suck at writing :P
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #86
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 7,286 Times in 2,578 Posts
There's millions of European immigrants who couldn't care less about MLS.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
There's millions of European immigrants who couldn't care less about MLS.
Because its a water downed league from what they have in Europe. IMO MLS shouldn't implement FIFA rules
Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #88
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,053 Posts
You guys are talking about Vancouver like it's the only major city to have a basketball team and a multi-cultured audience pool to draw from...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #89
boot boot car

Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Basketball imo is a class-less sport, no matter how good a team here will be they will always play second fiddle to the Canucks, and imo having a basketball tenant in Rogers Arena almost feels like it would cheapen the feel of the Nucks.
that's more personal opinion than anything really, i know alot of people who r crazy about basketball and dont kno the difference btwn offside and icing and dont give a damn either

i think having a NBA team would actually upgrade the profile of Rogers Arena and Vancouver as NBA teams are normally more expensive to maintain and valuable (according to forbes)

yes, Canucks will always have longer history and have a special place in Vancouverites hearts but a NBA team wouldn't take anything away from Canucks, but would be more a second source of entertainment

whether its viable................... thats up for debate..........
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #90
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again

FUCK YOU STU JACKSON
Posted via RS Mobile
http://www.revscene.net/forums/nba-e...OU+STU+JACKSON

http://www.revscene.net/forums/nba-e...OU+STU+JACKSON

http://www.revscene.net/forums/aquil...OU+STU+JACKSON

a few of us have said it beforeand will say it again too

ps, FUCK YOU STU JACKSON.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
You guys are talking about Vancouver like it's the only major city to have a basketball team and a multi-cultured audience pool to draw from...
of course not but i am comparing it to the other cities such as Kentucky, Kansas City etc
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #92

Quote:
of course not but i am comparing it to the other cities such as Kentucky, Kansas City etc
Kansas has The Jayhawks and Kentucky has the Wildcats.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #93
bcrdukes

Thanked 5,122 Times in 1,532 Posts
I remember when a family friend's car got broken into and nothing was stolen, but on the dash sat 4 tickets to a grizzles game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
To quote the most misunderstood individual and figurehead on Revscene:

"I am a changed person."

- TOS'd
TOS'd is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #94
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
we should get our name back too, i find it stupid for teams that move to another city and keep the name with them even though they have no relevance to the current city whatsoever.
there is no grizzly bears in memphis.

just one example would be the utah jazz, mormon state with a name like the jazz and their logo is some mountains, makes no sense right, because the team hailed from new orleans, new orleans a town known for it's jazz culture

i know obviously there a whole bunch of trademark and other issues involved, i dont care though, lol i want our name back if this happens
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #95
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
1. Cleveland Cavaliers - 26 Losses
Season: 2010–11 Record: 09–46

2. Cleveland Cavaliers - 24 Losses
Season: 1981–1982 Record: 15–67

3. Vancouver Grizzlies - 23 Losses
Season: 1995-96 Record: 23–59

At least we're not 2nd place anymore!

The NBA as a whole has got much more mainstream as well. Average attendance in even the smallest markets have continually gone up in increments at least 40% in the last 10 years and I'll bet that Vancouver won't be the worst market in the NBA for sure!
And Cavs beat the Lakers tonight :f ailed:
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #96
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,356 Times in 1,206 Posts
Why in the fuck would they move an NBA team out of New Orleans (again)? That city is ravenous for sports and they love the Hornets. I'm honestly surprised they'd bring up low attendance.

Are the Hornets just a cursed franchise?
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #97
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
*fun fact* Stromile Swift now plays in China. Thats how bad our management was.
Meanwhile, Steve Francis got cut by his Chinese team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-300842
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #98
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 8,027 Times in 2,087 Posts
So many NBA teams are struggling to fill seats, Pacers been one of them who were rumored to be moving to Vancouver. And as far as been financially successful...the Raptors don't sell out games but I would assume corporate support is keeping them a float. Vancouver gets enough corporate support and the team can survive long term. I guess it's the same for any professional sports team nowadays.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Gekko View Post
So many NBA teams are struggling to fill seats, Pacers been one of them who were rumored to be moving to Vancouver. And as far as been financially successful...the Raptors don't sell out games but I would assume corporate support is keeping them a float. Vancouver gets enough corporate support and the team can survive long term. I guess it's the same for any professional sports team nowadays.
with all their shitty years raptors are still top 10 in attendance.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #100
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

yes, we need it back
danned is offline   Reply With Quote