REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

There is no glass ceiling thats a load of crock a woman can earn just as much as a man *IF* she chooses to do so. By that I mean that she dedicates 40+ years of her life to her career and doesn't f off halfway to have kids or something. The career women are out there, and they arn't the ones bitching about pay. It's the ones that arn't as dedicated that can't figure it out. Do you really think there are no studies out there to prove that women call in sick more than men due to her period?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
do you know what a glass ceiling is? do you understand the term pay equity? pay equity is defined in terms of work of equal value. all factors the same and still less pay. there are a ton of studies out there on this and statistics that support this. it makes you look dumb when you spew comments out that are based on assumptions and stereotypes.
Advertisement
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I've come to save this thread.

(Potentially nsfw material in spoiler,)Is this considered NSFW? I just posted it from my office? hahaha.

Spoiler!

Talk about being equal... from this angle she's clearly so much better than I will ever be.

Last edited by jasonturbo; 03-09-2011 at 06:43 AM.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #53
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,859 Times in 8,217 Posts
TheNewGirl = the load her mom should have swallowed
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #54
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
There is no glass ceiling thats a load of crock a woman can earn just as much as a man *IF* she chooses to do so. By that I mean that she dedicates 40+ years of her life to her career and doesn't f off halfway to have kids or something. The career women are out there, and they arn't the ones bitching about pay. It's the ones that arn't as dedicated that can't figure it out. Do you really think there are no studies out there to prove that women call in sick more than men due to her period?
Bingo. I've seen my fair share of high & mighty, and successful women and they're neither a rarity nor are they flukes of life.

Just like the race card, the gender card is getting old and like both, only a "certain" type of people like to play them.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #55
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

007's gonna get so much pussy after this lol
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #56
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
I am talking specifically about when people are being hired, not when they've worked a job for some time and would have had the so-called opportunity to "call in sick" all year. Just curious, did you even go to university? and if you did, what did you major in? when I was doing all my business courses I didn't hear much on this topic, but when I started taking sociology classes, it was discussed in-depth. Can you provide a link to a study? I'm interested to find out more.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
Then we need to stop making fun of c-lais wearing welding masks and Richmond people who can't drive. Thats racist.
No, that's fact.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #58
~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Fail attempt at feminism.

Now I want a sandwich. Guess who's making one for me? A girl
rien is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #59
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

THATS A HUGE BITCH!
Big.Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #60
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
TheNewGirl = the load her mom should have swallowed

So I guess some dribbled down your mothers chin.

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?...shot&play=true
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #61

Quote:
I am talking specifically about when people are being hired, not when they've worked a job for some time and would have had the so-called opportunity to "call in sick" all year. Just curious, did you even go to university? and if you did, what did you major in? when I was doing all my business courses I didn't hear much on this topic, but when I started taking sociology classes, it was discussed in-depth. Can you provide a link to a study? I'm interested to find out more.
Sociology classes, great? How about taking the word of people who ARE out there in the industry and see things first hand. Education is great and all but a textbook/professor should not be the end-all-be-all of your learning.

It's true that the "old boys club" sentiment may still be present in some cases but in today's business the only sentiment that matters nowadays is "money talks" and that knows no gender; if a woman can bring in the dough better than a guy can.

Don't get caught up in TheNewGirl's woe is me (or women) crap.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #62
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Let's take the service sector just as ONE example.

It doesn't matter if you are a man or woman. You will make the same. Hourly wage!

In fact, in a restaurant, women may get tipped more!

Glass ceiling is just your imagination. If you are truly a talented individual in the right place, you can surpass it. Part of the problem is believing in such a concept.
Actually its interesting you brought that up there are some other factors as to why women make less, studies show that women are less likely than men to ask for a raise, women also tend to be mothers/workers so they're not able to work the same amount of overtime that men can. That's a choice of the parents as an adult couple, no one says the woman has to be in that position in fact there are some men that are in that position.

Another interesting fact is that in movies women and men are actually paid pretty equally and the pay is more dependent on the budget of the movie and if a movie had a female star that celebrity would relatively make the same as if the movie had a male star. That being said there are probably a lot more male starred movies but again that's a decision that as adults people can make for themselves.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #63

I majored in "open your god damned eyes" and "common sense" men can't call in sick for periods because they dont have them.
I dont care about getting hired because that has no bearing on how far they will advance/stick with that career. I am talking about working in your chosen field till the day you die.
Of course you wouldn't hear much about this topic who do you think the main customers paying for the business courses are? Men? Phhht.
I hope you enjoy your degree because with your "street smarts" the best you'll do is a manager at mcdonalds.

Actually I"m taking down the study by the BBC regarding women affected by period pains. I'm not going to educate your dumbass for free. If you can't figure out this a gender disability that men dont suffer from then too bad.
Quote:

Last edited by Death2Theft; 03-09-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #64

Quote:
I majored in "open your god damned eyes" and "common sense" men can't call in sick for periods because they dont have them.
I dont care about getting hired because that has no bearing on how far they will advance/stick with that career. I am talking about working in your chosen field till the day you die.
Of course you wouldn't hear much about this topic who do you think the main customers paying for the business courses are? Men? Phhht.
I hope you enjoy your degree because with your "street smarts" the best you'll do is a manager at mcdonalds.

Actually I"m taking down the study by the BBC regarding women affected by period pains. I'm not going to educate your dumbass for free. If you can't figure out this a gender disability that men dont suffer from then too bad.
which is the same as "i didn't go to school" but I think that the common sense I may have gives me credibility. yes it does matter, because why should they start at lower pay scales? what's the justification? i am simply pointing out that it does exist more commonly than you may want to acknowledge and not for the reasons you mentioned. im not asking you to educate me, im asking you to back up your facts.

yes that is the best i'll do in life.. keep the insults coming, feeling frustrated? #winning

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Sociology classes, great? How about taking the word of people who ARE out there in the industry and see things first hand. Education is great and all but a textbook/professor should not be the end-all-be-all of your learning.

It's true that the "old boys club" sentiment may still be present in some cases but in today's business the only sentiment that matters nowadays is "money talks" and that knows no gender; if a woman can bring in the dough better than a guy can.

Don't get caught up in TheNewGirl's woe is me (or women) crap.
no it won't be the only way i learn. im trying to stir healthy debate, and also play devils advocate, but some guys are getting butthurt *cough* deaf2theft

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #66

Quote:
im not asking you to educate me, im asking you to back up your facts.
Nodoby's going to educate you nor give you paper stats. It's something you'll have to learn for yourself. You can take a professor's word for it; or TheNewGirl's word with her statistics but nothing beats seeing it for yourself. And that's what people are attesting to.

Many guys here have worked for female superiors/employers whether it be a corporate job or low end retail job (I have). Hell, when you get close to your 30's and have friends in marriages, you'll see that there are wives out there that make more money than their husbands.

If there's inequality or discrepancy within pay, the laziest POV is always the discrimination by sex or race.

edit: and I have to add again, these women aren't isolated situations nor are they flukes of life.

Last edited by Noir; 03-10-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #67
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I have to agree with Death2theft regarding workplace.

At my old workplace, women would work very hard when they were on the probational period.

Within 6 weeks after they passed their probational period and was hired as full-time with benefits....

They got pregnant

And worked another 2 months before they went on maternity leave.

It happened at least 6 times within 4 years of my old workplace.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

This thread sucks.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #69

Why would I be frustrated at someone so entertainingly stupid? It's like you asking me to give u stats on the rainfall in vancouver. Is it a simple search to find it? Yes, am I going to do it for you? No.
The little nugget of knowledge i'm willing to share with you is "Everyone is worth EXACTLY what they are being paid, if you feel your underpaid and you deserve better get off your lazy ass and do something about it"
Quote:
which is the same as "i didn't go to school" but I think that the common sense I may have gives me credibility. yes it does matter, because why should they start at lower pay scales? what's the justification? i am simply pointing out that it does exist more commonly than you may want to acknowledge and not for the reasons you mentioned. im not asking you to educate me, im asking you to back up your facts.

yes that is the best i'll do in life.. keep the insults coming, feeling frustrated? #winning
Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #70
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
We will never have gender equality. Women will and always have accepted it. Sure theres the few million out there who are complete dykes . In the end men will always be greater than women. Its not our fault your gods made it so. Referring to adam and even in particular.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Nodoby's going to educate you nor give you paper stats. It's something you'll have to learn for yourself. You can take a professor's word for it; or TheNewGirl's word with her statistics but nothing beats seeing it for yourself. And that's what people are attesting to.

Many guys here have worked for female superiors/employers whether it be a corporate job or low end retail job (I have). Hell, when you get close to your 30's and have friends in marriages, you'll see that there are wives out there that make more money than their husbands.

If there's inequality or discrepancy within pay, the laziest POV is always the discrimination by sex or race.

edit: and I have to add again, these women aren't isolated situations nor are they flukes of life.
No, its called if he can provide the so-called study, I can critique it. Do you really think that I passed all my classes without learning how to do my own research? These studies are commonly misinterpreted by people who have no knowledge of research methods or because of confirmation bias, they seek information that proves pre-existing beliefs.

But your examples are not the comparison I am trying to make here. I have tons of highly educated (bach,masters,ivy league) successful females in my family who make more than most guys. I am discussing situations where either a male or a female have the exact same job with factors such as experience, education, and all other relevant characteristics taken into account that cannot explain certain wage gaps.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
We will never have gender equality. Women will and always have accepted it. Sure theres the few million out there who are complete dykes . In the end men will always be greater than women. Its not our fault your gods made it so. Referring to adam and even in particular.
typical patriarchal attitude combined with uneducated opinion.

Stay in school, folks.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #73

So despite asking for a study that shows womens shit can stink just as badly as mens, you have also managed to miss the all the posts i've made about "time spent working" or that when a woman works as hard as a man she can have his pay. Obviously most dont or we wouldn't have a next generation, of course you'd probally want a study for that too.
One of the funniest parts to me as to why there arn't any 100% female run companies that i'm aware of, or at least as many as 100% of men run companies on the fortune 500 is.... Women hate working for a female boss and would rather work for a male boss... Hmmmm think emotional stability might have anything to do with that? PMS hahha.

I can also tell you that women that devote a life time to their career just arn't as happy. Feel free to dispute these studies with all your education.

http://coachingtip.blogs.com/career_...oaching/myths/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ears-ago-.html

http://feministindia.blogspot.com/20...-years-of.html

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=296098

Clearly these career women are not desirable to the majority of men. Of course you'd want another study, thanks but no thanks it's way to easy to find them and you havn't changed anyones mind with your educated responses.
http://dontmarrycareerwomen.wordpres...eminist-wives/

Quote:
No, its called if he can provide the so-called study, I can critique it. Do you really think that I passed all my classes without learning how to do my own research? These studies are commonly misinterpreted by people who have no knowledge of research methods or because of confirmation bias, they seek information that proves pre-existing beliefs.

But your examples are not the comparison I am trying to make here. I have tons of highly educated (bach,masters,ivy league) successful females in my family who make more than most guys. I am discussing situations where either a male or a female have the exact same job with factors such as experience, education, and all other relevant characteristics taken into account that cannot explain certain wage gaps.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #74
Banned By Establishment

Last edited by BNR32_Coupe; 03-12-2011 at 07:11 AM.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #75
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
@TheNewGirl

You came with the right message but executed it very, very poorly. Before you step up to the podium please come with more than just a laundry list of statistics you found in the Vancouver Sun.

The majority of your statements have been picked apart like buzzards on a corpse and you've left this thread to rot in your absence. Since you were the original advocate of women's rights in this thread I think its up to you to defend them. If I'm not mistaken, you're the only female to post in this thread period.

Its time to stop being TheNewGirl and be TheNewWoman. This is why women have a bad name. You can start the fight but you can't finish it.

One thing I wanted to point out as being exceptionally pedantic is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Yes we should have black people in the house of commons. And hispanic people. And more indian people and asian people too. I'm pro equality all over the place.

This is a democratic nation where we freely elect the proper candidates for the position. Women have had the right to vote in Canada since 1917. A voting ballot is perfectly equal. It doesn't show race, gender, or sexual orientation. It is a perfectly neutral representative of our collective thoughts about the future of this country.

You would have a people's choice undone as a result of what you perceive to be "inequality"? Perhaps you fail to consider that the elected representative, despite gender or racial background, was the right choice. If you're so "pro-equality" you should stop being ignorant to the choices being made around the country and realize that your peers may feel confident enough in their choices to elect someone despite the colour of their skin or the plumbing in their pants.

To assume that we're all children pointing at the colours of skin we like saying "Yeah, elect him" is pure ignorance.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote