REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Scammed $5250 from Evo Garage

This is my story of how I got scammed for 5250.

It all started when I was in the market for a 98spec ITR motor swap. I ended up going to Evo garage. I spoke with the owner David the owner. He said he had a line on a 01 USDM ITR motor swap that he was rebuilding and would be for sale when complete.

I asked what the history behind this motor. A customer of his had a 01 ITR that had problems with excessive oil consumption. The owner decided that he wanted to do a 98spec motor swap and he would take his old motor swap as trade. The nature of the rebuild was a re-ring with original usdm pistons, oem bearings and seal kit. When the motor came in I inspected it and noted that 1 exhaust valve was replaced with an aftermarket valve but other then that the motor looked mint.

He was asking 4200 for the motor swap in pieces, I would assemble the the motor. I offered 4000 and paid him for the motor cash on the spot and took it home that day.

Immediately after installation of the motor swap the motor was smoking on cold starts and immediately my bumper was covered with black soot. It was clearly evident because my car is white. I informed him of the situation right afterwards and I didn’t was to come to any conclusions because I was not done break in and there was the possibility of my exhaust being contaminated and it was clearing it self out. After 3000km of break in it was clearly evident this motor was consuming a lot of oil. It was consuming 1 litre every 800km.

I at this time I started to eliminate out side factors that could cause this such as rich air/fuel mixture causing oil dilution causing excessive consumption.
-My vehicle reaches operating temp in 3km
-As per my wideband O2 sensor , AFR’s where where they should be 14.5ish cruise 12.8ish WOT
-I replaced my cat with another unit to rule out contamination causing black soot on my bumper
-I ran a chipped p28 with stock itr basemap for 500km to eliminate faulty ecu with no change
-I ran a vented valve cover and eliminate pcv system causing too much crank pressure
-leak down was 4% in all cylinders

At 6000km I had eliminated all outside factors that could cause black soot and oil consumption and based on the symptoms such as smoking on cold start and smoking on decel I was convinced that the valve seals were at fault. I went back and discussed things with him and he had agreed to replace valve seals under warranty. When I picked up the car he had informed me that the machine shop had mixed up the exhaust valve seals with the intakes.

Afterwards the visible signs of of smoking were gone but my bumper was still going black and it was still consuming about 1L/1100km. I tried several different weights of oil

I had spoken to him after the valve seal replacement and he said he would talk to the machine shop. I got back to him a couple weeks later and he said that the machine shop said that Honda said that 1L/1000km is acceptable level of oil consumption. I will take issue that this statement. That specification is for a motor that is well with in its service limit when everything is all broken in and loose. This spec doesn’t apply to a motor that has just been rebuilt to oem specs. If done right this motor should be as good as an brand new motor and I don’t know of any brand new motor consuming 1L/1100km with under 10000km. and covering my back bumper with soot after 200km of driving. They were basically saying nothing is wrong.

I went to a track day and after that the level of soot build up on my bumper went down but consumption was about the same. After that I was doing routine maintence and a plug inspection and noted that cyl 1 had heavy build up of carbon. There was defiantly something wrong with this cylinder. I went in with a bore scope and noted that the top of piston 1 was visibly wet.

I went back to evo garage and told him the situation and that this is not acceptable. You could argue that excessive oil consumption could be normal for these engines but you can’t argue that for it to happen in 1 cylinder is. He spoke with the machines shop and we had agreed that I would pull the motor and send it back. The machine shop was in Winnipeg and he would cover the cost of the shipping which is 500 dollars.

I went ahead and pulled the motor and when I pulled the cylinder head I had noticed that the back side of the intake valve and ports were moist. Oil seems to making its way past the guides into the combustion chamber. Condition of the cylinders were good with no signs of scoring, glazing or anything of that nature.

When I dropped the motor off I had inspected the motor with david to show him my findings. And I would just leave it with him. This was in Dec 6 2010. I called him on Jan 4th for an update and he informed me that he was going to Japan for a month and he will call me when he gets back. That’s nice having 2 months of down time for my car.

So this is where it gets really good.

He calls me Feb 7th and informs me that he received information that I ran a chipped ecu and that’s what’s causing my oil consumption and he will not cover anything under warranty. He then informs me that the machine shop will re rebuild my motor at a discounted rate of 1000 + 500 shipping to bring it back from winnepeg. So at this point I’m a little wtf. I asked him if the machine shop had located where the consumption was coming from and he said that they didn’t. They also didn’t find anything wrong with the cylinders and everything measured up ok. If they could find anything wrong I sure as hell wasn’t gonna pay them 1500 to rebuild it again.

I was thinking this was a big miss understanding so I go down to the shop on the following Monday Feb 7th to try to figure something out. When I get there he was clearly not in the mood to talk and basically told me to fuck off and if I want my motor back its 1500 dollars and that the motor is already rebuilt and on its way back. At this point now I’m really wtf. So I later find out that while he went to Japan for a month he wasn’t in contact with the machine shop and they just went ahead and rebuilt the motor with out anyone’s authorization. You can’t just go do 1500 worth of work with out my consent and just expect me to pay. He going on to say that I’m fucked because I bought the motor with no receipt and he could easily say that he never sold me a motor and theres nothing I could do about it. At this point I’m pretty much dumb founded but with out the motor here theres nothing I can really do but wait til it comes in and deal with it then.

2 weeks later I call him and he informs me that the motor is here. I head to his shop and basically inform him that at this point there is no reason to prevent me from boot fucking him in the head and taking my motor back. Its at that point he wants to be reasonable and decides to take off $350. I decide to cut my losses and pay him 1250 and take my motor with no guarantee that anything is going to be fixed but aleast I’m not held at the mercy of him.
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

you can see on the edge of the valve face is the accumulation of oil

real nice for a motor with 12000km on it

Last edited by Iron Chef; 03-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
This is my story of how I got scammed for 5250.

It all started when I was in the market for a 98spec ITR motor swap. I ended up going to Evo garage. I spoke with the owner David the owner. He said he had a line on a 01 USDM ITR motor swap that he was rebuilding and would be for sale when complete.

I asked what the history behind this motor. A customer of his had a 01 ITR that had problems with excessive oil consumption. The owner decided that he wanted to do a 98spec motor swap and he would take his old motor swap as trade. The nature of the rebuild was a re-ring with original usdm pistons, oem bearings and seal kit. When the motor came in I inspected it and noted that 1 exhaust valve was replaced with an aftermarket valve but other then that the motor looked mint.

He was asking 4200 for the motor swap in pieces, I would assemble the the motor. I offered 4000 and paid him for the motor cash on the spot and took it home that day.

Immediately after installation of the motor swap the motor was smoking on cold starts and immediately my bumper was covered with black soot. It was clearly evident because my car is white. I informed him of the situation right afterwards and I didn’t was to come to any conclusions because I was not done break in and there was the possibility of my exhaust being contaminated and it was clearing it self out. After 3000km of break in it was clearly evident this motor was consuming a lot of oil. It was consuming 1 litre every 800km.

I at this time I started to eliminate out side factors that could cause this such as rich air/fuel mixture causing oil dilution causing excessive consumption.
-My vehicle reaches operating temp in 3km
-As per my wideband O2 sensor , AFR’s where where they should be 14.5ish cruise 12.8ish WOT
-I replaced my cat with another unit to rule out contamination causing black soot on my bumper
-I ran a chipped p28 with stock itr basemap for 500km to eliminate faulty ecu with no change
-I ran a vented valve cover and eliminate pcv system causing too much crank pressure
-leak down was 4% in all cylinders

At 6000km I had eliminated all outside factors that could cause black soot and oil consumption and based on the symptoms such as smoking on cold start and smoking on decel I was convinced that the valve seals were at fault. I went back and discussed things with him and he had agreed to replace valve seals under warranty. When I picked up the car he had informed me that the machine shop had mixed up the exhaust valve seals with the intakes.

Afterwards the visible signs of of smoking were gone but my bumper was still going black and it was still consuming about 1L/1100km. I tried several different weights of oil

I had spoken to him after the valve seal replacement and he said he would talk to the machine shop. I got back to him a couple weeks later and he said that the machine shop said that Honda said that 1L/1000km is acceptable level of oil consumption. I will take issue that this statement. That specification is for a motor that is well with in its service limit when everything is all broken in and loose. This spec doesn’t apply to a motor that has just been rebuilt to oem specs. If done right this motor should be as good as an brand new motor and I don’t know of any brand new motor consuming 1L/1100km with under 10000km. and covering my back bumper with soot after 200km of driving. They were basically saying nothing is wrong.

I went to a track day and after that the level of soot build up on my bumper went down but consumption was about the same. After that I was doing routine maintence and a plug inspection and noted that cyl 1 had heavy build up of carbon. There was defiantly something wrong with this cylinder. I went in with a bore scope and noted that the top of piston 1 was visibly wet.

I went back to evo garage and told him the situation and that this is not acceptable. You could argue that excessive oil consumption could be normal for these engines but you can’t argue that for it to happen in 1 cylinder is. He spoke with the machines shop and we had agreed that I would pull the motor and send it back. The machine shop was in Winnipeg and he would cover the cost of the shipping which is 500 dollars.

I went ahead and pulled the motor and when I pulled the cylinder head I had noticed that the back side of the intake valve and ports were moist. Oil seems to making its way past the guides into the combustion chamber. Condition of the cylinders were good with no signs of scoring, glazing or anything of that nature.

When I dropped the motor off I had inspected the motor with david to show him my findings. And I would just leave it with him. This was in Dec 6 2010. I called him on Jan 4th for an update and he informed me that he was going to Japan for a month and he will call me when he gets back. That’s nice having 2 months of down time for my car.

So this is where it gets really good.

He calls me Feb 7th and informs me that he received information that I ran a chipped ecu and that’s what’s causing my oil consumption and he will not cover anything under warranty. He then informs me that the machine shop will re rebuild my motor at a discounted rate of 1000 + 500 shipping to bring it back from winnepeg. So at this point I’m a little wtf. I asked him if the machine shop had located where the consumption was coming from and he said that they didn’t. They also didn’t find anything wrong with the cylinders and everything measured up ok. If they could find anything wrong I sure as hell wasn’t gonna pay them 1500 to rebuild it again.

I was thinking this was a big miss understanding so I go down to the shop on the following Monday Feb 7th to try to figure something out. When I get there he was clearly not in the mood to talk and basically told me to fuck off and if I want my motor back its 1500 dollars and that the motor is already rebuilt and on its way back. At this point now I’m really wtf. So I later find out that while he went to Japan for a month he wasn’t in contact with the machine shop and they just went ahead and rebuilt the motor with out anyone’s authorization. You can’t just go do 1500 worth of work with out my consent and just expect me to pay. He going on to say that I’m fucked because I bought the motor with no receipt and he could easily say that he never sold me a motor and theres nothing I could do about it. At this point I’m pretty much dumb founded but with out the motor here theres nothing I can really do but wait til it comes in and deal with it then.

2 weeks later I call him and he informs me that the motor is here. I head to his shop and basically inform him that at this point there is no reason to prevent me from boot fucking him in the head and taking my motor back. Its at that point he wants to be reasonable and decides to take off $350. I decide to cut my losses and pay him 1250 and take my motor with no guarantee that anything is going to be fixed but aleast I’m not held at the mercy of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraleEVO View Post
Here’s my side of the story.

First off, some background info;
- the current on going rate for a USED ITR swap is around $4,500.00 to $4,800.00
- the reason for using the machine shop in Winnipeg is because of my long and good relationship with them. Over 10 years we have been working together and never once have I had any problems. They have always made it a priority in taking care of my customers and myself.

Ed came to me around the end of May, 2010. He was in the market for a full ITR motor swap. Unfortunately at the time I was completely out of stock on the JDM ITR swaps.

I did however mention to him I had a freshly rebuilt ITR motor that had just came back from the machine shop. I told him in detail of what was done to this specific motor; top to bottom rebuild, new rings, new bearings, new gaskets, resurfaced cylinder head and valve job. At this present time, the engine was not yet assembled, I told him I was looking for $4,500.00 READY TO SWAP (ASSEMBLED). Ed was looking to spend less than that, and asked how much for just all the parts, he would then do the assembly himself. We agreed that $4,000.00 would be fair. All necessary parts would be given to him, assembled short block, cylinder head, clutch, flywheel, transmission and so forth. If he needed anything else, I told him he would be more than welcome to come back and I could supply him with additional parts/info/help.

(The motor was originally sold to me by a friend/customer who had purchased a JDM ITR swap from Evo Garage. Which is also the reason why I was not able to produce Ed with an invoice, because Evo Garage did NOT import the motor. It was a personal transaction. ED KNOWS THIS FACT AS WELL.)

(Typically with all Evo Garage ENGINE SWAP PACKAGES, I included on the invoice; type of engine, year, serial number and ecu number for my own records.)

I also told him it would be sold as is, however I did grant him a start up warranty, plus ONE month warranty on no excessive oil burning and knocking.

After agreeing to these terms, Ed decided to make the purchase.

A month had past, he came back complaining that oil was burning. I asked him if he had broken in the engine in a non-aggressive fashion, typical daily driving and if he was using the stock ECU. (It is critical to use a stock ECU during the break in period.) He told me that he was a mechanic and knew how to break in an engine and was indeed running the stock ECU.

Ed claimed that the motor was burning oil during cold starts; we agreed that the valve seals should be looked at. (Even though it was already past the ONE month warranty period.) I was still determined to help him out. I had him leave the car with me so I could take a look at the valve seals. Upon disassembly, I had found that the machine shop did misplace the new exhaust valve seals on the intake side. I covered the cost of the all necessary parts and labour for this to be resolved.

A few weeks after I was contacted by Ed, informing me that the oil burning issue was solved.

Around September, Ed came by the shop informing me that the oil was still burning oil. He did mention that the motor was strong, makes power and what not. For he had been taking it to the track and drag strip. He said he would keep a record of how much oil it’s burning and would get back to me on a later date.

Ed came back around the end of November. He said that he had taken his car on a road trip to Calgary and it burnt about 1L every 1,500km.

Still very much willing to help Ed out, I called the machine shop asking them if they could pull up the record of this job and see what might be causing this issue. The machine shop called me back informing me that they called ACURA TECHLINE themselves and had this to report. ITR MOTOR BURNS A LITTLE BIT OF OIL WHICH IS NORMAL. They then said what’s happening right now is border line acceptable, and they would not do anything even if the car was sold brand new at the dealership. I did not tell Ed this because I was still wanting to take care of him.

I talked to Ed and asked him again if he was running a stock ECU, he assured me that he was. I believed him, and would still like to take care of this. I always hate to have an unhappy customer. We agreed on sending the motor back to the machine shop, if it had checked out that something was indeed mis-performed on their end, I would cover the shipping and machine shop would pay for all parts and labour.

By the time Ed pulled the motor and got it to my shop, it was already December. I told him that he would have to wait a while because it was getting close to to the holidays, plus I would be away on vacation in January. So you probably won't see the motor till the end of January or early February. He agreed and left the motor with me.

Some time had past since the motor was sent out, I was informed by another shop that Ed has been using a HONDATA S300 programmable ECU in his car. Ed had brough his car to them for some exhaust work, and the shop had the hardest time trying to start his car. Ed's car had such a hard time starting, the shop decided to take a look into it, try and see what was going on for the guy, which lead to them witnessing the HONDATA S300 unit in place of the stock, OEM ECU.

Fast forward, February 2, 2011. This is the day I got back from my vacation, I contacted the machine shop to get an update of what was happening. They found the motor was burning oil in all 4 cylinders, however there seemed to be alot more being burnt from cylinder 1. They told me they dis-assembed the motor and found out the rings on # 1 cylinder had signs of heat score. I informed them of my new found information regarding the programmable ECU, we both agreed that warranty should be void as this is the customer's fault. Machine shop rebuilt the motor once again putting in wiseco rings, new bearings, new seals, re-polished the crank and refinished the cylinder head. The motor was even re-assambled this time to eliminate any further issues. Because of my relationship with the machine shop, they decided to help both Ed and I out as good will, the total bill with part and labour was discounted to $1,000.00.

I called Ed and asked him once again if he was using a stock ECU during break-in and he assured me that he was. I told him that I found out he was using a HONDATA programmable ECU. He then admitted to it and told me that he even reduced FUEL on all 4 cylinders to see if it would reduce oil consumption?!?! In all my years of tuning, I have never heard of anyone reducing fuel to lower oil consumption. I believe the ECU was put in to make more power. Ed felt that there was something wrong with the stock ECU, so his solution was to replace it with a HONDATA UNIT, not running a stock map. At this point I was pretty fed-up with Ed who had been lying to me this whole time. I felt that he was trying to claim for a new motor or money back as he had screwed up on the tuning this one himself. Before ending the conversion, I told him he needs to bring $1,000.00 for the machine shop and also $250.00 each way for shipping. He told me he would have to think about it. I receieved a call from Ed later that night asking if I would take the motor back and to give him $3,000.00, I told him sorry, no.

Ed dropped by the next day and asked if he could talk to the machine shop. I honestly did not see the point and I told him that if I had known he was lying to me, I would not have sent the motor out in the first place. Anyways, I granted his requested and got himin touch with the machine shop. He talked to the machine shop on the phone himself, and then told me that the machine shop told him that they did NOT find any problems. I asked him to hand me the phone, immediately hear a yelling over the phone "WE DID NOT SAY THAT" I asked Ed, why are you lying to me again?! Ed got mad and threaten me, he told me to call him when the motor comes back and then left the shop.

Couple weeks after, the motor is now back from the machine shop. Ed shows up with 2 of his friends, their goal was to try and pick up the motor without paying. A fight almost broke out at the shop and his friend threatened me saying - "It won't be nice for business if there are trouble while you are working, etc., etc.") After some time of quarrel, his friend asked and listened to my side of the story. After listening, he said "I am sorry, and that you are probably right, but I am Ed's friend and Ed is looking for some form of discount, lets just get it over with."

I don't see any other shops or manufacturers granting warranty on a product that has been tampered with. In this case, a motor using a programmable ECU with a faulty tune.

So end of the day I had to lose out some money for Ed to leave with his motor and friends.

This will be my one and only post regarding this matter.

-david@evogarage

Coles Notes:

-Buyer buys a motor from EvoGarage...
-Buyer thinks he bought a faulty motor that is burning oil
-Buyer goes and talks to Seller and hides the fact that he fucked up his own tuning on Hondata S300; took his car to track day events...and puts on 15000kms.
-Seller Sends out motor to be rebuilt in Winnepeg.
-Buyer Doesnt want to pay for rebuild
-Buyer brings friends to "bootfuck" Seller.
-Seller explains his story to Buyers friends...
-Buyers friends sides with Seller.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."

Last edited by Supafly; 03-14-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Woah if your side of the story is true then that's not good at all for evo garage.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
It's late, i'm writing a paper. Got some Cole notes to help a brotha out?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

go in and talk to him again, this time record the conversation, shows proof that he sold you the motor incase if you have to take him to court..he can't denied that he sold it to you
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

───────▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
─────▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
───▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
──▐▒▒▒▄▄▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
──▌▒▒▐▄█▀▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
─▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▌
─▌▒▀▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
─▌▀▐▄█▄█▌▄▒▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▀▐▀▐▀▒▒▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
─▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ouch , that sucks. good to know; I'll avoid them in the future for engines then.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
I have a hunch this is gonna get epic.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
I am wondering why he would send the motor to winnipeg to have it machined when we have lots of competant shops here in vancouver that can do it.

and hell, $500 for shipping? it cost me $200 to ship my block down to benson machine in California to have it sleeved and it was free shipping back here.

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

those pictures say it all....

Is the owner of Evo garage that unreasonable/nonnegotiable with his customers? From the looks of it, you have done more leg work than the average customer who comes back and complains about a faulty engine. You did your own diagnosing, tested out different oils, broke the engine down and inspected it yourself, plus I bet a bunch of other things you're not mentioning. You didn't just come back to the shop as soon as something went amiss and started whining to the shop.

Without hearing the other side of the story, I guess no one here can make real judgment...but what it sounds like is that the owner is pretty thick skulled.

On a side note, why did you opt for a cash transaction? Especially with something like an engine swap, I would never go for the cash route. I know he would probably cut you a discount, but then you would have nothing to back yourself up in a tight situation (which you are in now). So you saved 200 bucks and you didn't have to put the motor back together?

EDIT: Also, the 500 dollar shipping charge is very odd....
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Somewhat related, but holy fuck you guys pay that much for stock Honda motors that aren't even assembled?!?! Makes me glad I drive a MR2 and Mustang... lol

Sucks to hear man....... but he got you by the short and curlies here..... no matter what you say he can say that you effed it up with your own install and tuning and track days and whatever else. You've got no legal leg to stand on
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

waiting on other side as well

itz goin to be epic!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Somewhat related, but holy fuck you guys pay that much for stock Honda motors that aren't even assembled?!?! Makes me glad I drive a MR2 and Mustang... lol

Sucks to hear man....... but he got you by the short and curlies here..... no matter what you say he can say that you effed it up with your own install and tuning and track days and whatever else. You've got no legal leg to stand on
that price is atypical of Honda engines, but unfortunately it seems the engine market in Vancouver absolutely blows and shops can charge ridiculous prices, or you can try your luck with some crappy engines that come from places like Nagasaki (which have like a huge chance of not starting up at all). it really sucks since our American counter parts are totally spoiled in terms of engines. disassembled type r engines should not go for that much, but that's Vancouver for ya.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

evo garage a sponsor here?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Same question^ is there someone Active on rs from there???
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
Wow thats shitty. Are they are reputable shop?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^
not any more.

sucks to hear that you got burned for all that cash steady.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

sue their ass
Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Hopefully its all just a misunderstanding and evo garage and its owners don't become the next Anthony Espinosa
Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
no receipt = no sue
Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #22
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
sorry to hear about your expensive misfortune.

might be a dumb question but:

why is he dealing with a shop in Winnipeg? is there nobody local that does this kind of engine work?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #23
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
this is like when AJR got caught selling fake J's racing products

i sense epicness will ensue. moreso because the OP knows what he's talking about, didn't just buy a motor, swap it in, see black soot and instantly go back to the shop

make sure you start getting some backup for yourself if you do decide to take it to a small claims court (like somebody said, recordings and stuff)

good luck, OP. always sucks to hear about people getting scammed
Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

sorry to hear about your misfortune OP

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Ed, you should really try telling whole story as you're only telling your side of the story.

I was going to stay out of it at the shop, but since you decided to post this up on the forums, you should really tell the entire truth and not only what you want others to see.

Here's the run down from my understanding.

You bought the motor from David at Evogarage that had just returned from the machine shop he deals with in Winnipeg. They have never screwed up any work in the past 10 years he has dealt with them and your miss-matched valve seals was the first issue he has ever had with them.

David 'warrantied' the valve seals for your with his own money since it was an error on the machine shops part.

David asked you if it was better and you said the oil burning is better after that.

Fast forward 15,000kms, and at least one track day at Mission.

You then bring up the oil burning again after a LOT of km's placed on the motor.

You tell David that you had a stock ECU on this motor the whole time when infact you used a Hondata unit on it shortly after swapping the motor into your ITR. This fact was verified by another shop and you were told which shop this was as well after the fact.

You also tuned this Hondata unit yourself and the other shop stated that it was difficult to start the car (hence why the other shop popped the kick panel to find a Hondata there). The other shop only did exhaust work for you and did not touch the car otherwise but they are witness to what was in the car.

David then asked you again if you were running a stock ECU to break in the motor. You told him you were for the second time.

Do you feel it's reasonable to bring up an oil burning issue after putting on that kind of miles and track days on the motor?

You're not stating a lot of actually what happened Ed and this is 3 weeks after you picked it up already.

You wanted to talk to the machine shop as well and David had no problem with you talking to them so he called them up with you in person. You then asked the machine shop questions and unfortunately flat out lied about some of the stuff the machine shop to you on the phone. Perhaps you could chime in on that as David asked for the phone back and the machine shop guy said to him flat out, 'David, i did NOT just say that to him'...

I have no problem with you Ed, nor is it really anyone's business until you decided to post this stuff up on the forums (and yes, you did threaten David by saying you would post up on forums, which is fine cuz you're entitled to your opinion). If you're going to post this kind of stuff up, you should really post up the entire story instead of just your side and OMIT some pretty key things.

Your friends that you brought down to 'bootfuck' David were actually more level headed about the whole situation than you were.

Your friend was respectful enough to talk to David about this privately in his office and even he agreed that he felt David was 'probably right in this situation, but you were his friend first' after hearing David's side of the story (which was news to him as he didn't hear it all from you). He was the one who was able to negotiate the deal for you in the end and we all respect him for that.

He had the respect to shake hands and even told you to shake David's hand in the end so props to your friend for being a stand-up guy.

In a way, i can see your point in not authorizing the repair on the motor. The machine shop felt that they had a reputation to uphold so that is why they rebuilt the motor (wiseco rings, new OEM bearings and seals throughout) for the cost of $1000. To my understanding, that's a pretty good price.

However, they probably should've ate up the cost if it was infact their fault for the motor burning oil. They didn't feel that it was a machine shop error but they also suspected the tune to be faulty (you could've washed the rings out with too much fuel perhaps?).

I'm sorry dood, but if you're going to accuse a shop of scamming you, you should really post up all the facts for everyone to see.

The way i see it, you tried to scam David at Evogarage for something you messed up and then tried to 'warranty' it nearly a year later with a ton of miles and track days on it.

(for the record, i am a friend of David's so take my post with a grain of salt if you'd like but i thought some facts needed to be stated)