REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #101
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
If the oil consumption from the beginning till now is due to leaky seals and or guides, what does Evo Garage have to say about their warranty? Does it actually cover in this instance?

well it was a private sale done by david, not by evo garage.

If you sold me a nintendo dsi pivately on craiglist and whether you knew it had a faulty battery or not, would you warranty me if I came back to you in 3 months to say the battery life is only 1hr long when fully charged.
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #102
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post

If you sold me a nintendo dsi pivately on craiglist and whether you knew it had a faulty battery or not, would you warranty me if I came back to you in 3 months to say the battery life is only 1hr long when fully charged.
this.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #103
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post

on top of that, even if it had warranty..would you still honour it after they:
1. Knowingly manipulated the item against warranty terms
2. Deceived you about #1
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #104
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
One thing I've learned from this thread is the number of people on RS with no fucking clue about mechanics.

I'll make it really simple for you:

Chipping or modding an ECU has nothing to do with valve guides/seals going bad.

For those that believe the two are linked, then I'd love to hear your explanation.

I had a transmission fail in a truck several years ago (new truck, under warranty). I get a call back from the dealer and they inform me the transmission needs to be replaced as it was "burned out" (their words, probably meaning burned clutches). The advisor then asks me if I was doing any towing.

The truth is I was towing a trailer at the time my transmission started acting up (trailer weight 5,500lbs, truck towing capacity 7,700 lbs). I was well under the towing capabilitiy of the truck. I knew where this was going, as they were probably going to insinuate I was towing an oversized load which damaged the transmission.

So I told them I hadn't done any towing since last year, and it was a small utility trailer (to explain why I had a hitch and wiring harness on the truck). The guy goes "oh" and then explains that I'm getting a new transmission and when my truck will be ready.

So I lied to the dealer about me towing, but it was irrelevant since I was not towing an oversized load and was a full 2,000lbs under the vehicle capacity. Why should I give the dealer any sort of "ammunition" to try and deny my warranty when I did nothing wrong?

So you see, there are good reasons for keeping certain information to yourself. Especially if something you did had no bearing on the issue/problem you're having, but the other party may try to say that it did.

And in this case, hearing Evo say a modded ECU and the oil leak are related just shows the OP was right in not bringing it up.

BTW, if the engine was sold privately, then why was any warranty work done in the first place? It should have been sold "as is", yet Evo still had the engine repaired the first time. Seems a little fishy to me.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #105
HELP ME PLS!!!

soo where else has this thread been spread too?

vcc
hondatech

Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
BTW, if the engine was sold privately, then why was any warranty work done in the first place? It should have been sold "as is", yet Evo still had the engine repaired the first time. Seems a little fishy to me.
because he wasnt a bad seller. if he was a bad seller, he wouldve just told him to gtfo and wouldntve went through the hassle the second time.

i'd like to see any one pull off the same thing with a local machine shop with a cash job.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #107
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
^^^ Thanks for the information dangonay. Helps the rest of us non mechanics understand this more.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #108
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
One thing I've learned from this thread is the number of people on RS with no fucking clue about mechanics.

I'll make it really simple for you:

For those that believe the two are linked, then I'd love to hear your explanation.

I had a transmission fail in a truck several years ago (new truck, under warranty). I get a call back from the dealer and they inform me the transmission needs to be replaced as it was "burned out" (their words, probably meaning burned clutches). The advisor then asks me if I was doing any towing.

The truth is I was towing a trailer at the time my transmission started acting up (trailer weight 5,500lbs, truck towing capacity 7,700 lbs). I was well under the towing capabilitiy of the truck. I knew where this was going, as they were probably going to insinuate I was towing an oversized load which damaged the transmission.

So I told them I hadn't done any towing since last year, and it was a small utility trailer (to explain why I had a hitch and wiring harness on the truck). The guy goes "oh" and then explains that I'm getting a new transmission and when my truck will be ready.

So I lied to the dealer about me towing, but it was irrelevant since I was not towing an oversized load and was a full 2,000lbs under the vehicle capacity. Why should I give the dealer any sort of "ammunition" to try and deny my warranty when I did nothing wrong?

So you see, there are good reasons for keeping certain information to yourself. Especially if something you did had no bearing on the issue/problem you're having, but the other party may try to say that it did.

And in this case, hearing Evo say a modded ECU and the oil leak are related just shows the OP was right in not bringing it up.

totally agree. fact of the matter is that the machine shop did work on the motor that was absolutely in NO WAY authorized by the OP. regardless of whether or not the OP lied about the ECU, the unauthorized work and the fact that he had to pay for it is a load of BS from Evo's part.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #109
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_guilt View Post
totally agree. fact of the matter is that the machine shop did work on the motor that was absolutely in NO WAY authorized by the OP. regardless of whether or not the OP lied about the ECU, the unauthorized work and the fact that he had to pay for it is a load of BS from Evo's part.
yeah but I think he has k-pro.. which i have too.. if he did a bad street tune his car coulda knocked a shit ton and caused the valves to go bad? that happened to me and i consume more oil now.. i think its the valves in mycase
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #110

^ er... op bought a B18C5 ITR motor.. hondata makes k-pro for that..? o rly..?

This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #111
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^^ I'll rmb to stay clear from blue ones when looking for a Type S.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #112
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
^ he's already told us about the tune. and even if it was as you say, how would that only ruin one cylinder, and leave the rest seemingly ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post
FYI: Evo Garage was started in Winnipeg, MB in 2003 and relocated to Richmond, B.C. in 2006. That's why David sends his motors back to Winnipeg for machine work.
4 (going on 5) years after moving the company and he hasn't bothered finding someone out here that does quality machine work? For turnaround time alone why would you not try to find someone local? The shipping companies must love these guys.

A couple questions for both sides here:

I'm wondering why the whole motor was sent out, when the issue seems to be from the valves?

For all the poking round the engine that was done, are there no diagnostic techniques (aside from the OP looking in the motor) that could be done to help source this issue? Some kind of compression or leakage test to see if a valve is bad? (forgive my ignorance if no such testing exists)

Again excuse my ignorance, but are there any other heads that could be put on, and used just for a basic leakage test?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #113
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
so running lean wont cause the valves to leak oil or ruin the valve guide....
running lean and overheating could cause these problems yes?
could it be a bad guide and did anyone test the head with the valves assembled for leaks?

sounds like a crappy deal for both sides like a lot of people already stated but i see both points

-ed bought an engine that was assembled wrong at the head and had a genuine problem whether he broke it in correctly or not

-he was under the impression that it would be a properly built engine because evogarage is a reputable source (i believe still is)

-it was a private sale and david did more then anyone off craigslist would do because he was trying to help ed out and keep the reputation of his job

instead of trying to smear someones reputation though, it might be better to just post what happened (the whole truth) and let the people decide for themselves who is wronger in this situation because no one wins here so how can we decide who is right. i wouldnt have lied about the hondata and running it lean in the beginning however because that just shows you have something to hide but i do see eds point as well as davids
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #114
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:

lol i dunno how many times this needs to be said 4 ppl to understand this...

however the Ed did mention that the motor is still burning oil roughly around 1L/800km despite having it rebuilt the 2nd time and was also given to Ed as an assembled long block already so it doesn't make sense at all to me... Ed mind explaining and going through all the details of how exactly ur breaking in the motor?
when my NA high cr hybrid motor was rebuilt it needed to be broken in in a specific manner, for instance i could not hit vtec until after xxx/xxxx KMS then later on could go on vtec but should not rev past 7k until after xxx/xxxx KMS, etc etc...

im really curious so let us know ed...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #115
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
4 (going on 5) years after moving the company and he hasn't bothered finding someone out here that does quality machine work? For turnaround time alone why would you not try to find someone local? The shipping companies must love these guys.
It's because you stick with your proven/reliable sources/suppliers. Just because a business moves doesn't mean you automatically cancel all past relationships with other businesses. I'm not saying that there aren't quality machine shops locally, but you have to have a lot of faith to use a customer's engine as a guinea pig to find one. Turn around time depends on how busy a shop is too, not just the transit time.

P.S. I'm only replying to this thread again because I was quoted.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #116
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
for those harping on Iron for bringing his buddies to intimidate.. can you really blame him for that when the shop owner says he'll keep his engine and just play dumb, as there's no evidence of a sale??

if you want to play ghetto, expect the other guy to as well
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #117
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post
It's because you stick with your proven/reliable sources/suppliers. Just because a business moves doesn't mean you automatically cancel all past relationships with other businesses. I'm not saying that there aren't quality machine shops locally, but you have to have a lot of faith to use a customer's engine as a guinea pig to find one. Turn around time depends on how busy a shop is too, not just the transit time.

P.S. I'm only replying to this thread again because I was quoted.
I'll back Red 5 up on this.

My company works all over British Columbia, because we were one of the first companies in Western Canada to offer our specific service and for a time anyone who wanted it had to come to us. Since the company started offering the service 14 years ago a lot of local competition has popped up on the Island, Interior and Sea to Sky. Despite the local competition we still work in all those areas routinely and charge significant travel charges, because most business owners stick with the reliable proven companies. Like Red 5 said, no one wants to experiment on their customers stuff.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #118
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'm curious as to what is still causing the excessive oil consumption on this last rebuild.

If the valves, seals, guides and piston rings are good, what's the scoop?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
Old 03-15-2011, 02:23 AM   #119
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #120
My homepage has been set to RS

I decided to spread the word when my motor on the SECOND REBUILD consumed 1l of oil in 800km and left my bumper black after 500km as noted in my picture of my rear bumper that i took YESTERDAY. If my motor was fine i would have let it go. How ever the fact that the machine shop was not able to find a conclusive cause for the oil consumption and the fact that they are in Winnepeg i knew i didn't want them touching the motor. If they can't find a problem what makes them think another rebuild is gonna fix it? The issue i have is the fact i didn't have a choice in the matter. Later David agreed that is not right , which is why he took off 350.

David had been really good to me up until the point when he returned from his vacation. When i droped the long block too him i inspected the motor with him to show him my findings and agreed that he this is a machine shop defect and he would cover it. What upset me the most is how when he had possession of my motor his attitude did a 180 and told me to fuck off and this is the way it was gonna be. He knows that at that point i'm in a vulnerable position. I was very respectful curtious to him and he was not in the position where he felt he needed to explain anything to me. Even to this day he can't explain how an ecu will cause valve guides to leak.

As for bringing my friends... well if you were being treated like an absolute chump wouldn't you? Just because the vast majority of people here are pussy's , i'm not. At that point i had exhaust all my resources for diplomacy. You want to play dirty and try to bully me ill do the same and treat you like the punk bitch you are. Besides i came to pick up the motor with 1500 in my pockets. I came ready to pay the full amount.

I had spoken to my lawyer and the cost of going to small claims court was 2-3000 and making the purchase by cash didn't help my situation. It wasn't worth it at that point.

As for my break procedure its as followed

-Initial start up and inspect for coolant and oil leaks, set base timing
-dump oil in pan to and re-fill to get out all the oil with machining debris
-Initial road test for 2 km around my neighbourhood and inspect for leaks again
-Head to SFU which is 2km away from me and head up the mountain from 2-4000rpm under modulating loads a couple of times
-then do normal city driving under 4000rpm till 1000km, then perform oil filter change
-i will also go for drives up cypress or seymour to load up those rings to really seat them in
-2000km i will start leaning into vtec with a buddy behind me to monitor the level of smoke in vtec.

I have preformed this break in procedure many times without an issue. Break was not the cause in this case for the oil consumption. As i said before my leak down numbers were good, didn't smoke in vtec, and the cylinders were good visually and when measured.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #121

The consumption clearly coming from the guides, i suspect that once they decided to void the warranty they didn't bother to investigate the cause which is why my motor is still consuming oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
I'm curious as to what is still causing the excessive oil consumption on this last rebuild.

If the valves, seals, guides and piston rings are good, what's the scoop?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #122
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
and the plot thickens

This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #123

improper mixture will cause problems in the combustion chamber. In this case the problem is in the cylinder head.

You can't test the guides for leaks, you can only measure the clearances

Quote:
Originally Posted by duy- View Post
so running lean wont cause the valves to leak oil or ruin the valve guide....
running lean and overheating could cause these problems yes?
could it be a bad guide and did anyone test the head with the valves assembled for leaks?

sounds like a crappy deal for both sides like a lot of people already stated but i see both points

-ed bought an engine that was assembled wrong at the head and had a genuine problem whether he broke it in correctly or not

-he was under the impression that it would be a properly built engine because evogarage is a reputable source (i believe still is)

-it was a private sale and david did more then anyone off craigslist would do because he was trying to help ed out and keep the reputation of his job

instead of trying to smear someones reputation though, it might be better to just post what happened (the whole truth) and let the people decide for themselves who is wronger in this situation because no one wins here so how can we decide who is right. i wouldnt have lied about the hondata and running it lean in the beginning however because that just shows you have something to hide but i do see eds point as well as davids
Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #124

The handshake went out the window why my motor on its second rebuild just went through 1l of oil in 800km

Would you not be upset? Is $5200 dollars chump change to you? i personally feel i have every right to be upset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Ed, another point that bothers me, is after shaking hands with David on the issue, as your friend encouraged you to do, that you went ahead with a smear campaign across multiple forums?

Is your handshake worth anything?

Kev
Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #125
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Chef, this situation really sucks, and for all those failing you..... shame on them.
Good luck, buddy.
Closed Thread