REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #51
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraleEVO View Post
Fast forward, February 2, 2011. This is the day I got back from my vacation, I contacted the machine shop to get an update of what was happening. They found the motor was burning oil in all 4 cylinders, however there seemed to be alot more being burnt from cylinder 1. They told me they dis-assembed the motor and found out the rings on # 1 cylinder had signs of heat score. I informed them of my new found information regarding the programmable ECU, we both agreed that warranty should be void as this is the customer's fault. Machine shop rebuilt the motor once again putting in wiseco rings, new bearings, new seals, re-polished the crank and refinished the cylinder head. The motor was even re-assambled this time to eliminate any further issues. Because of my relationship with the machine shop, they decided to help both Ed and I out as good will, the total bill with part and labour was discounted to $1,000.00.
Who gave the ok to do this work? If they voided the warranty shouldn't ed had known and said ok for them to do the work?
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #52
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
I want to know how running a rich tune and washing out rings would cause a valve seal to leak. I'd also like to know how running a rich tune would affect only one cylinder.
Posted via RS Mobile
+1
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

I've always been in contact every several weeks in regards to the oil consumption. Every since i installed the motor i was always droping in every couple of weeks to update him of the status of the consumption. I pulled him out to inspect my rear bumper several time to see that it was covered in soot.

Since day 1 this motor has never burned anything less then 1l of oil every 1100km.

As for the chipped ecu. Yeah i ran one, for 500km. Didn't make a difference so i took it out. Thats not gonna cause oil consumption.

I've never heard the term "show signs of over heating from the piston rings". The motor never overheated, because the temperature tag was still on the block. That is a lot of oil to consume. For there to be 4% leakage, no scoring on the walls and piston to ring clearance measurements with in spec, thats not where the consumption is coming from

Am i pissed that i bought a motor that he recieved due to oil consumption and that has consumed oil excessively in ONE cylinder, a little... Am i really pissed that he fucked off to Japan for a Month and not handle his business at home and give me a bill for 1500 for un authorized work hell yeah.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #54
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
interesting read for a monday morning!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #55
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
TLDR

I'll just look at the title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Scammed $5250 from Evo Garage
Wat?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #56
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I've only had one "dealing" with Iron Chef. He was considering applying for a job at our shop a few years back. He decided not to even though it would have been a better environment and significantly better pay. He didn't want to leave his current employer since he's the one who gave him his "start" with his apprenticeship and he'd feel bad for leaving his employer right after getting his papers.

However, since he's a mechanic this discussion will be a little different than the usual whiners who know nothing about cars, pay a shop to do a bunch of work, and then when a problem occurs immediately complain online without even trying to discuss the issue with the shop. Their online complaining is often filled with various things they've "googled" and why they think they have the same problem as another online complainer.

People can say "he said this" or "he did that", but when people start posting vehicle problems and diagnostic steps to figure out the problem (or listing posible causes) you can quickly determine who's full of shit and who isn't.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #57
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
The plot thickens ......
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #58
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

that was a pretty good read so far haha
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #59
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
interesting read!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #60
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Oni KyoKan View Post
The plot thickens ......
Posted via RS Mobile
I think the plot just ended with David's post. GG, Ed.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #61
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
wth I didn't even finish 1/4 of my popcorn.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #62
Hyde's Understudy

(Meme generator is down)

STOCK ECU

Y U NO USE?

Engine Breaks Down

Blames Shop!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #63
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
this is quite obviously intended as a smear campaign. since that truly is the case here, Iron Chef you've just lost all respect in this community and every other community you posted this on. Congrats! dumbass
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #64
Hyde's Understudy

This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #65
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
After reading both sides of the story I think both of you are at fault in this situation.

Ed - you bought a used motor and there is an inherent risk in doing so IMO. You compounded the fact by throwing on an aftermarket ECU and then hid the fact. Also, there is no need to bring friends to bully the shop owner. It's a petty tactic and a sign of defeat IMO.

David - The motor you sold was rebuilt improperly initially. Furthermore, if you indeed said that you could just keep the motor because there is no receipt, shame on you. However, I commend you for fixing it and doing what you could to assist your customer to rectify the issue.

It's a shame that the shop owner is going to have their reputation damaged because some people are going to read the thread title and not delve deeper into this thread. It's tough being a shop owner when you have to bend over backwards for a poor client in fear you will have your name slandered on the internet.

Ironically Ed, I think your smear campaign backfired. Having read David's reply, I would take my car to him for work knowing the level of patience he has displayed even beyond his warranty period. Very few shops would take care of their customers like that.

My $0.02

Kev
Old 03-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #66
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
I want to know how running a rich tune and washing out rings would cause a valve seal to leak. I'd also like to know how running a rich tune would affect only one cylinder.
Posted via RS Mobile
He mentioned he leaned out the tune, no? Mind you, I'm not positive how that would affect valve seals either. I know a bad/broken seal will cause an engine misfire, but...
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #67
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Ironically Ed, I think your smear campaign backfired. Having read David's reply, I would take my car to him for work knowing the level of patience he has displayed even beyond his warranty period. Very few shops would take care of their customers like that.
I have been taking my car to david for the past 2yrs! He have a lot of patience with me! He takes care of me everytime I go. Never had a problem with him in this 2yrs, and will continue to go back to david.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #68
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
From reading both stories its clear that ED u fucked up! Who the hell comes with a few buddies to a shop in an attempt to muscle the owner around and take a motor? Who do u think u are Vin Diesel???

If you cant resolve your problems peacefully and in a humane manner while dealing with an established business then give your head a shake man. There is always other options then threating the owner, that will just give you even more problems then a leaky motor.

That being said David you did sell a faulty motor but hey you were cooperative and willing to help as much as you can so THATS A WIN IN MY BOOKS! Not alot of shops will do that especially since you were over ur warranty...

> 2005 Acura TSX ASPEC <
> 2003 Acura RSX-S <
> 1994 Acura Intergra LS <
> 1994 Honda Civic SI <
> 1991 Acura Integra GS < ( RIP )
Old 03-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #69
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
so steer clear of evo garage when it comes to motors,

got it
Old 03-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #70
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Iron Chef, so quiet all the sudden
Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #71
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -EuroRSN- View Post
From reading both stories its clear that ED u fucked up! Who the hell comes with a few buddies to a shop in an attempt to muscle the owner around and take a motor? Who do u think u are Vin Diesel??? .
Gold. Thanked
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #72
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Irony Chef?
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #73
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
honestly, ed should consider himself lucky, as anyone would never warranty on a motor without,reciept. i think any other shop would have just ignored u and would have not tried to deal with the issue, as you assembled the motor yourself and not evo garage... not to mention about the whole ecu thing. i dealt with evo garage and got nth but honesty and good service so far. i bought a used transmission from them without a fault. i for one would continue to deal with them. lots of quality parts and honda expertise. i do think the whole hustling thing went too far.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #74
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
As with any disputes, there's usually some fault on both sides. However, I take issue with some of Evo's comments.

"I don't see any other shops or manufacturers granting warranty on a product that has been tampered with. In this case, a motor using a programmable ECU with a faulty tune."

- How do you know the tune was faulty? And to what extent is faulty? Just a little bit out of tune? Or horribly out of tune to the point of severe engine damage?
- At BMW we regularly warranty cars that have been "tampered with". An example is those stupid 335's with the engine chipping and custom intakes (this deserves a whole other thread). The issue isn't if they've been modified - the issue is if the modifications directly caused the failure. You can't deny warranty on a radio if someone puts lowering springs on their car. But you could deny warranty on their stock shocks if they put lowering springs. There has to be a connection between the mod and the damage.

I'm sorry, but I see no connection whatsoever between a leaking valve seal and a tuned engine. What I see is someone trying to get out of warranty by using a lame excuse. It would be interesting to do a poll of Hondata users and find out how common valve seals go compared to "normal" engines. I'd bet there's no difference.

Reading some comments here also reminds me of Chris Rock.

Quote:
You wanna know the worst thing about niggaz? Niggaz always take credit for something they supposed to do. "I take care of my kids" - you're supposed to you dumb motherfucker.
Why do people always give a shop credit when they warranty something and "take care of their customers"? To me it's something you're supposed to do.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #75
Hyde's Understudy

1. lol at Irony Chef bringing friends to threaten store owner.
2. LOL at friends agreeing with store owner.
3. LOLat trying to make slanderous thread on RS and backfiring.
Closed Thread