REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Whats the best method to eat it raw?
i ate some raw, just pull the head off, deshell, devein, and clean it up.
then put a little lemon juice or light soy sauce
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #27
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Jayboogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
I gotz da hook up from ocean run seafood I pay 8 dollars a pound! Lols they distribute to tnt. The best way to eat imo is to just boil em for 6-7 minutes and have a variety of sauces to dip. Last week me n my family devoured 10 pounds of prawn ahhaha it was awesome. I think im good wit eatin these prawns untill next year.
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #28
Say NO to blade grinders!
 
Expresso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,611
Thanked 1,019 Times in 462 Posts
Any places serve them sashimi style and fry the heads after?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
ShyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,340
Thanked 262 Times in 81 Posts
You don't need to boil the prawns for 6-7 minutes..haha...put the prawns in boiling water for 1 minute and they're done.
__________________
:makeout:
ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #30
nuggets mod
 
freakshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 6,706
Thanked 3,047 Times in 842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Any places serve them sashimi style and fry the heads after?
I believe Octopus Garden does them like that.
__________________
I searched for truth, and all I found was You

'00 323i (Sold)
'01 Civic Si (Sold)
'95 240sx (Sold)
'02 LMB M5 (Sold)
'92 4Runner (Sold)
'92 Civic VX (Sold)
'03 SL500 (Sold)
'92 NSX
'99 M3 (Totalled)
'07 A4 2.0T (Sold)
'01 CB M5 (Sold)
'01 540i (Sold)
'11 535ix
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #31
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Any places serve them sashimi style and fry the heads after?
shiro does it.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
skholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,486
Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
I usually go this route with a dipping sauce on the side...

"Chef Robert Belcham, famous for his Spot Prawn Boil at Refuel (Saturdays during the month of May) taught me his simple secret to some of the most succulent prawns ever: Just pour boiling water over a single layer of prawns in a roasting pan until covered. Wait 5 minutes, peel and enjoy."
Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #33
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
TRDood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: V
Posts: 7,848
Thanked 656 Times in 326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
shiro does it.
Theirs is not live. It's already peeled when they take it out of the fridge.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Jayboogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
You don't need to boil the prawns for 6-7 minutes..haha...put the prawns in boiling water for 1 minute and they're done.
dats how my mom does it iuno seems fine to me never tried 1min
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #35
Ebisu Boss
 
Obsideon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: West Side
Posts: 3,357
Thanked 1,258 Times in 474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboogz View Post
I gotz da hook up from ocean run seafood I pay 8 dollars a pound! Lols they distribute to tnt. The best way to eat imo is to just boil em for 6-7 minutes and have a variety of sauces to dip. Last week me n my family devoured 10 pounds of prawn ahhaha it was awesome. I think im good wit eatin these prawns untill next year.
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
You don't need to boil the prawns for 6-7 minutes..haha...put the prawns in boiling water for 1 minute and they're done.
Dang I think if you left 'em boiling for 6-7 minutes it will be way overcooked, by then you won't even be able to tell if they were fresh or frozen anymore!
__________________
EBISU on Robson - Japanese Restaurant Lounge

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

Formerly known as AznSiR

In Chronological Order
R.I.P.
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996

Current
2015 Cayman S
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #36
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 3,386
Thanked 748 Times in 298 Posts
anyone got the phone to that guy that was selling prawns?? huge craving now...
__________________
P H O T O G R A P H E R
www.jacksonzhao.com
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Jayboogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Dang I think if you left 'em boiling for 6-7 minutes it will be way overcooked, by then you won't even be able to tell if they were fresh or frozen anymore!
lol iduno man it doesnt seem overcooked tho cause the juices within the head are still runny and not solid. Still taste killer to me! Hahhah ill remember for next time 1min cook time
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #38
Director of RS Cares
 
miss_crayon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Crayon Box
Posts: 5,173
Thanked 600 Times in 281 Posts
Japanese Kitchen and Kimura deep fries the prawn heads
Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Spoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: VAN/RMD/BBY
Posts: 2,225
Thanked 761 Times in 337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Any places serve them sashimi style and fry the heads after?
Seto @ Richmond does this too.
__________________
My Buyer/Seller Rating
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #40
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i ate some raw, just pull the head off, deshell, devein, and clean it up.
then put a little lemon juice or light soy sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Any places serve them sashimi style and fry the heads after?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
Japanese Kitchen and Kimura deep fries the prawn heads
Posted via RS Mobile


Decided to do this today actually


Amaebi sashimi




Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #41
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
skholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,486
Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboogz View Post
lol iduno man it doesnt seem overcooked tho cause the juices within the head are still runny and not solid. Still taste killer to me! Hahhah ill remember for next time 1min cook time
Posted via RS Mobile
Juices running in the head???? Dude do not cook these with the heads on, it's ruins the texture of the meat in the tail big time!!'

Try this... Take a few prawns and take the heads off, also keep a few whole and boil both for a couple mins. Once done try both and see what's best, hands down the heads off will be meaty and juicy... The heads on will still be meaty but will be a bit smaller and mushy on the outside.
Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #42
In RS I Trust
 
murd0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mission
Posts: 19,611
Thanked 16,830 Times in 3,952 Posts
I like to toss them in olive oil and then put them on the bbq and once cooked I toss them in franks, butter and garlic. So so good!!
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #43
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,052
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I like to toss them in olive oil and then put them on the bbq and once cooked I toss them in franks, butter and garlic. So so good!!
That's a lot of tossing going on.
__________________
Posted from NE 1-J W Inglis Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
To quote the most misunderstood individual and figurehead on Revscene:

"I am a changed person."

- TOS'd
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #44
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 623
Thanked 56 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
I usually go this route with a dipping sauce on the side...

"Chef Robert Belcham, famous for his Spot Prawn Boil at Refuel (Saturdays during the month of May) taught me his simple secret to some of the most succulent prawns ever: Just pour boiling water over a single layer of prawns in a roasting pan until covered. Wait 5 minutes, peel and enjoy."
Posted via RS Mobile
This is an interesting way to cook them, when you put them in a single layer, is the prawn headless or intact on its side?
__________________
"Everything's Coming up Milhouse!"
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #45
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
Jayboogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,415
Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
Juices running in the head???? Dude do not cook these with the heads on, it's ruins the texture of the meat in the tail big time!!'

Try this... Take a few prawns and take the heads off, also keep a few whole and boil both for a couple mins. Once done try both and see what's best, hands down the heads off will be meaty and juicy... The heads on will still be meaty but will be a bit smaller and mushy on the outside.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hmm never tried with head off cause the shit inside the head is just too good. I guess everyone does it differently! Lolill take down some notes!
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Matlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 2,025
Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Head juices are great. I don't understand why anyone would waste them.
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #47
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
skholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,486
Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
This is an interesting way to cook them, when you put them in a single layer, is the prawn headless or intact on its side?
Headless, tail only on it's side. Save the heads for another dish.

Cooking with heads on is the norm for most people but it negatively affects the texture of the meat in the tail.

Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #48
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
TRDood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: V
Posts: 7,848
Thanked 656 Times in 326 Posts
Next 2 weeks should be the best. Just had some today and the heads are starting to develop the orange stuff!
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #49
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
skholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,486
Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
T&T live spot prawns are cheaper than fishermans warf ($10 vs $12) but they are NOT local BC prawns. I picked some up today and asked, they are from the US, most likely Blaine/Bellingham area.
Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #50
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
skholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,486
Thanked 66 Times in 61 Posts
2012 season starts tomorrow!
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net