REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   BC Spot Prawns (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645611-bc-spot-prawns.html)

Obsideon 05-17-2011 12:40 PM

BC Spot Prawns

I thought a saw a thread in here a while back... can't find it... oh wells.

SO where can we all go to get some fresh, juicy, delicious prawns?... I'm guessing a lot of Asian restaurants will be offering them, where is the best bang for your buck? (besides cooking it yourself at home obviously)

Spectre_Cdn 05-17-2011 12:50 PM

in before thread is deleted once bigrig replies

edit: never mind, he's already banned. long live this thread

bcrdukes 05-17-2011 01:09 PM

Guys,

Let's just talk about spotted prawns and leave it at that. Thanks. :)

TRDood 05-17-2011 01:14 PM

This is the third attempt.

Yesterday, I said they seem to be smaller this year but still very tasty.
Posted via RS Mobile

Jayboogz 05-17-2011 01:18 PM

If you buy from your local super market they are bound to be a little smaller unless your lucky. Reason being is because distributors choose the bigger prawns and sell them to restaurants at a higher price. Try some specialty seafood places, there is one inbetween 50th and 51st on victoria right next to a meat shop I can't recall the name the place tieen way or somethin iuno.
Posted via RS Mobile

Obsideon 05-17-2011 01:24 PM

Any restaurants to recommend to try?
Hmm I didn't realize this was the 3rd attempt, I just got back from Vegas, on a TOTALLY unrelated note, I don't think I want to SEE another King Crab leg for the next little while... I must have ate 3 whole crabs to myself the last week lol!

Jayboogz 05-17-2011 01:34 PM

Ahahah that's awesome! Idunno sunsuiwah? Top cantonese on kingsway and earles
Posted via RS Mobile

TRDood 05-17-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayboogz (Post 7437093)
If you buy from your local super market they are bound to be a little smaller unless your lucky. Reason being is because distributors choose the bigger prawns and sell them to restaurants at a higher price. Try some specialty seafood places, there is one inbetween 50th and 51st on victoria right next to a meat shop I can't recall the name the place tieen way or somethin iuno.
Posted via RS Mobile

That's Tin Wun and yes I think they distribute to restaurants. I go to Easly a few blocks down. They do retail and supply restaurants too I think.

It's better to but from the smaller shops. Sometimes my mom gets to pick each one herself. Haha
Posted via RS Mobile

rageguy 05-17-2011 08:07 PM

I used to go to the seafood store beside the bbq shop in Parker Place. If I remember right, they have pretty big ones.

skholla 05-17-2011 08:18 PM

I've been getting mine from the fishermans warf and the lobster man in Granville island. Both have a decent amount of large prawns per pound, they are live and sell for $12/lb.
Posted via RS Mobile

Jayboogz 05-17-2011 08:26 PM

Yeah man, they help me get exotic bait that attracts crabs like crazy! My dads buddys wif one of the partners of tin wun they go to hastings horse track together hahas
Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 7437117)
That's Tin Wun and yes I think they distribute to restaurants. I go to Easly a few blocks down. They do retail and supply restaurants too I think.

It's better to but from the smaller shops. Sometimes my mom gets to pick each one herself. Haha
Posted via RS Mobile

Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 05-17-2011 08:37 PM

brother just came by and dropped some off for my dinner. awesome-sauce!

abdulclamwacker 05-17-2011 09:18 PM

T&T had some crazy 8.99 sale for each pound over 2. I think Superstore also had a $9 deal as well.

Looks like prices have risen again to almost $20?

What are the rates at restaurants anyway?

TRDood 05-17-2011 10:43 PM

I bought them at $9.99 at Easly last night. They were $8.99 over the weekend.

Prawn > king crab for me. It's less expensive AND you don't need to get ripped off by restaurants.

skholla 05-18-2011 06:17 AM

Are these prices for frozen, fresh, or whole live prawns?
Posted via RS Mobile

k3lv 05-18-2011 06:53 AM

if i were to buy them fresh from the market but didnt want to eat them that day, what is the best way to save them for a couple days don the road?

DaFonz 05-18-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3lv (Post 7438118)
if i were to buy them fresh from the market but didnt want to eat them that day, what is the best way to save them for a couple days don the road?

Take off the heads. Once they die, the heads do voodoo magic to the body which turns the flesh to mush.

sonick 05-18-2011 09:24 AM

Apparently, Phnom Penh does spicy chili garlic spot prawns made to order off the menu or is a daily special if you ask.

abdulclamwacker 05-18-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skholla (Post 7438099)
Are these prices for frozen, fresh, or whole live prawns?
Posted via RS Mobile

Its always fresh during this season. I think its like $5 if you buy frozen...

RiceIntegraRS 05-18-2011 03:03 PM

my dad got a bunch for like like $8-$9 a pound, pretty big and so dam delicious. Im with TRDood. U dont have to break the bank to have sometihng soooo delicious

skholla 05-18-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdulclamwacker (Post 7438564)
Its always fresh during this season. I think its like $5 if you buy frozen...

so you mean fresh as in freshly killed (earlier that day)? dont like that, when i buy spot prawns they are live, still swimming and kicking.

skholla 05-18-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFonz (Post 7438259)
Take off the heads. Once they die, the heads do voodoo magic to the body which turns the flesh to mush.

yep, twist those heads off, give the tail part that met the head a little rinse, dry and store in the fridge for up to 3 days, eat sooner the better tho..

HonestTea 05-18-2011 09:53 PM

Whats the best method to eat it raw?

TRDood 05-18-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skholla (Post 7439410)
yep, twist those heads off, give the tail part that met the head a little rinse, dry and store in the fridge for up to 3 days, eat sooner the better tho..

But the head is the best part!

I usually eat it within 5-15 minutes after it swims out of the tank. 2 hours max.
Posted via RS Mobile

J____ 05-18-2011 10:15 PM

best way to eat these is to boil them and dip in sauce. Make the sauce by mixing chopped green onion and jalapenos into soy sauce, then heat up cooking oil and once hot just before it starts to smoke, pour it over the soy sauce mixture.