REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2011/2012 Canucks Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647779-official-2011-2012-canucks-thread.html)

Expresso 07-14-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 7511420)
Pierre Lebrun has left CBC's HNIC and moved to TSN.

CBC is going to the shitter when it comes to their NHL coverage. I wonder when Saturday night hockey will be on TSN.

Apparently Sportsnet is getting a major makeover for the upcoming season too, but until they get better personalities to cover the NHL, they will never be as good as TSN.

Really? Is he still doing ESPN too?

Jeff Marek guy left CBC to Sportsnet.

shawn79 07-14-2011 02:34 PM

tsn should just buy out HNIC

Durrann 07-14-2011 02:38 PM

its official we signed Mike Duco if anyone cares haha

CRS 07-14-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrann (Post 7511513)
its official we signed Mike Duco if anyone cares haha

Well... It'll be an awkward moment when the Sedins and Duco are in the same room.

JKam 07-14-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7511519)
Well... It'll be an awkward moment when the Sedins and Duco are in the same room.

I thought we were only signing guys with character. Not dickheads.

Gumby 07-14-2011 03:03 PM

Yeah so can anybody explain why we signed this Duco guy?

He has 12 games of NHL experience, 0 points, and 60 PIM.

If the Canucks want to pay somebody to sit in the penalty box, I'll do it!

MR_BIGGS 07-14-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 7511500)
Really? Is he still doing ESPN too?

Jeff Marek guy left CBC to Sportsnet.

He's still staying with ESPN.

Dreger, Mackenzie, Lebrun are always the guys breaking NHL news.

Blah_Teggie 07-14-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 7511534)
Yeah so can anybody explain why we signed this Duco guy?

He has 12 games of NHL experience, 0 points, and 60 PIM.

If the Canucks want to pay somebody to sit in the penalty box, I'll do it!

Maybe it's MG's way of teaching this kid a lesson that you don't try to make a name for yourself by embarrasing 2 of the leagues best players. As GM, he must protect his players.

murd0c 07-14-2011 05:58 PM

hes young and it's a good learning curve. You never know something like that might make him a better player and honestly the sedins are not ones to hold a grudge.

JesseBlue 07-14-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn79 (Post 7511511)
tsn should just buy out HNIC

tsn or sportsnet should not buy out HNIC!...i would hate to have all leafs game on a saturday (not like its not)...any ways..i don't have cable and my free HD on cbc is the only thing i got going for canucks games at home :)

Expresso 07-14-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 7511722)
tsn or sportsnet should not buy out HNIC!...i would hate to have all leafs game on a saturday (not like its not)...any ways..i don't have cable and my free HD on cbc is the only thing i got going for canucks games at home :)

You need to man up and pay cause TSN HD is a god's gift to the world.

spoon.ek9 07-14-2011 07:43 PM

i think i'll add TSN HD just before the season starts

b0unce. [?] 07-14-2011 09:12 PM

lolol on tsn's front page

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/...ames_82430.jpg

Ronin 07-15-2011 01:04 AM

I would just rather not watch TV than watch in standard def.

Greenstoner 07-15-2011 07:22 AM

This could be awkward: Mike Duco joins Canucks after bashing them on Twitter
Matt Reitz
Jul 14, 2011, 10:51 PM EDT

The Vancouver Canucks came to terms with the newly acquired Mike Duco after trading for his restricted free agent rights earlier this week. Duco will have a chance to make the team out of game, but may end up back in the AHL where he spent the majority of his time last season. At least that’s better than the man he was traded for—Sergei Shirokov has already bounced to the KHL for the next three seasons.

All in all it’s a small time trade of AHL players between teams that have a history of trading with one another. So why are we bring up Duco’s signing when there are hundreds of other signings throughout the offseason? It’s because Duco already has a bit of history with the Vancouver Canucks; it’s a rather public history that he’d rather not existed. Last season during the Stanley Cup playoffs, Duco took to Twitter to chirp the Sedin twins for diving and Roberto Luongo for his inconsistent play. That’s fine for average fans, but it’s gray area for professional athletes. When said player is traded to the organization that he was chirping—then it can get a little awkward.

Here’s a refresher:

“sick of watching the sedins dive and lay on the ice,” Duco tweeted on June 6.

“HA…solid night Luongo,” he wrote after Roberto Luongo’s Game 6 debacle, in which he surrendered three goals on eight shots to the Boston Bruins before being pulled from the game.”
Those were All-Stars and Olympians that he was directing his comments towards. He can now add the term “teammates” to the list of adjectives to describe the trio of Canucks. For his part, the newly acquired Duco has already attempted to make amends with the Canucks and their fans:

“I apologize to all three players involved, everyone knows that they’re three world-class players. I feel like it’s very important to move on from this. I’m looking forward to possibly being teammates with them. And in any situation, I want them to know that I’m the type of player that goes out and plays hard and I’ll have their back no matter what if we’re on the same team.”
The situation is one that may become much more common with the spread of social media amongst players around the league. Fans want more access and honesty from players—but when circumstances change the honesty could lead to some uncomfortable conversations with future teammates. The hilarious guys over at Kurtenblog are looking at the entire situation with a healthy dose of realty:

“A young guy (Duco’s 24) got caught up in the moment and said some stuff that came back to bite him. At least he was watching the games with some enthusiasm. Hell, at least he was watching the games.”
Chalk up the entire situation to a learning experience. Moving forward, the 24-year-old gritty forward is going to try to put his best foot forward and make the big club in Vancouver this fall. He’s already made a name for himself in the AHL by racking up 147, 111, and 126 penalty minutes over the last three seasons. In only 12 career NHL games, the young pest has accumulated 60 PIMs. Is there any question about the type of player he’ll be for the Canucks?

It’s one thing to irritate opponents—but it’s another to annoy teammates. It sounds like he’s on the right track to repairing the burned bridges with members of the Canucks; now all he’ll have to do is prove that he can play with them on the ice.

411ken 07-15-2011 09:23 AM

I have a weird feeling that Duco will be a fan favorite here in vancouver if he gets to play..

spoon.ek9 07-15-2011 09:23 AM

i still don't get why we would even consider having this guy on our team...

SkinnyPupp 07-15-2011 09:25 AM

Because being a good player in real life is more important than trash talking on the interwebs? ;)

hotjoint 07-15-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 7512139)
I would just rather not watch TV than watch in standard def.

I have a few friends like you, they can't stand watching anything in standard def :lol

Hondaracer 07-15-2011 09:40 AM

When I turn on my tv it's basically straight to the HD guide, if nothings on I might skim the standard def channels but usually just turn it off lol
Posted via RS Mobile

quasi 07-15-2011 09:46 AM

Maybe Gillis is really sick and vindictive. Traded for him just to ruin his career cause it would be fun....................haha, probably not.

spoon.ek9 07-15-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7512357)
Because being a good player in real life is more important than trash talking on the interwebs? ;)

we'll see how good he turns out to be :p

411ken 07-15-2011 10:31 AM

Who knows.. maybe he'll end up like a Ruutu type player LOL..

b0unce. [?] 07-15-2011 10:38 AM

sounds like he's an e-thug lol

Greenstoner 07-15-2011 11:10 AM

Duco is NHL bradford chow..

keyboard warrior