REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2011/2012 Canucks Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647779-official-2011-2012-canucks-thread.html)

spoon.ek9 07-07-2011 01:05 PM

gillis: what do you have up your sleeve? i'm dying to find out o_o

murd0c 07-07-2011 01:08 PM

I can't wait to see what jersey the jets will have dammit!!

fliptuner 07-07-2011 01:27 PM

Hmmm...slow day in the NHL.

I wonder if I should shave my playoff beard turned badass goatee....

Haven't fully shaved since R1G1.

highfive 07-07-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 7503531)
lol ok there man, all of us here are fans too but look at what you just wrote.
Lets be serious here..Just because a couple of our players have grit, we are still no means a tough team. We still lack a player like Shawn Thornton, who provides the proper spark/energy. If the Sedin's were 'tough' as you say, they wouldn't have been getting pushed around like little bitches and punched around like that. Take homer goggles off please, thanks.

Maybe I wasn't being clear, I get the impression that Gillis / AV want the players to play their game. The main focus is to play their best and win. SCF isn't the regular season where you can push back or punch back. Any penalties you get from those scrums is a disadvantage to the team. It's a matter of the refs calling or not calling certain scrums throughout the game. It's like if we have players like Eager who didn't like the punching bag thing, he would've knocked someone out and cost us the game.

As for the grit/grinders/energy players like Thorton. Yes I agree that we lack those type players. But what was so different between Thorton or Marchand to our energy players? They were able to score goals. The inability for our bottom six players to play a more offensive role made it easier for the other team to focus in defending against our top players.

I really think we lack a 4th line that can actually play hockey so AV doesn't sit them for the majority of the game.

tr0ubl3s0m3x 07-07-2011 06:28 PM

Anybody hear anything about Cam Janssen coming here? News1130's reporting that we're pursuing him. The only thing I remember about him is him getting bloodied up by Ripper. LOL
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 07-07-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tr0ubl3s0m3x (Post 7503901)
Anybody hear anything about Cam Janssen coming here? News1130's reporting that we're pursuing him. The only thing I remember about him is him getting bloodied up by Ripper. LOL
Posted via RS Mobile

yep I read that as well today on twitter

spideyv2 07-07-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

we don't need another plug who can't score. We should actually aim on having a tough 4th liner that can score

AzNightmare 07-07-2011 07:14 PM

I agree... Darcy Hordichuk was pretty useless too. We don't need another guy like that.

Jer3 07-07-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7503942)
I agree... Darcy Hordichuk was pretty useless too. We don't need another guy like that.

was just wiki-ing him and found this

"Hordichuk spent the summer of 2008 training with Chuck Liddell, a mixed martial artist and former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight champion. Hordichuk used the training to improve on his skills in on-ice fighting"

found it kind of funny lol

Vansterdam 07-07-2011 07:33 PM

i remember seeing this mini documentary about some hockey-fight-ufc style event some dude created in BC or Alberta

was quite interesting if anyone knows what im talking about

MR_BIGGS 07-07-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7503969)
i remember seeing this mini documentary about some hockey-fight-ufc style event some dude created in BC or Alberta

was quite interesting if anyone knows what im talking about

Battle of the Hockey Enforcers:

Quote:

he Battle of the Hockey Enforcers was a sporting event held in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada, on August 29, 2005.

The event consisted of ice hockey enforcers fighting on the ice in full hockey gear, as sometimes seen in regular games. Like in the National Hockey League, no fighting on the ground was allowed; and the referees separated the fighters if the fight turned too one-sided. If a fight did not end in a referee stoppage, it was judged by a panel of hockey experts.

The event was somewhat successful; the CN Centre was about 1/3 full, with 2000 spectators, but the pay per view sales have been reported to be encouraging.

The most famous participant was a former NHL player, Link Gaetz, but he had to withdraw after experiencing concussion-like symptoms after his first fight. The winner was Dean Mayrand from Windsor, Ontario, who plays for the Sorel-Tracy Mission in the Ligue nord-américaine de hockey. Mayrand defeated Mike Sgroi in the final round, receiving an award of $62,000.

Ch28 07-07-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jer3 (Post 7503963)
was just wiki-ing him and found this

"Hordichuk spent the summer of 2008 training with Chuck Liddell, a mixed martial artist and former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight champion. Hordichuk used the training to improve on his skills in on-ice fighting"

found it kind of funny lol

Funny you mention Hordy cause he was in town with floor seats for UFC 131. I'm going to assume he either still has a place here that he visits or he was simply here to visit some ex-teammates
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 07-07-2011 08:18 PM

^ I met him and shook his hand there and seemed like a real cool guy having tons on fun. Jovo was there as well.

EmperorIS 07-07-2011 08:20 PM

i hope next season henrik will do more as a captain ... i dont know what goes on off the ice .. but on the ice last season he didn't show much leadership imo

lol 07-07-2011 09:06 PM

Cuz he's European. Swedes especially show little emotion.

trancehead 07-07-2011 09:37 PM

Our Captain doesn't necessarily need to show emotion to be effective. Reminds me of the game vs Calgary this year where Iginla went on a rampage at the end of a period...and even Luongo skates by and tells him to cool it.

I just want our Captain to get the job done when it counts

spideyv2 07-07-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancehead (Post 7504151)
Our Captain doesn't necessarily need to show emotion to be effective. Reminds me of the game vs Calgary this year where Iginla went on a rampage at the end of a period...and even Luongo skates by and tells him to cool it.

I just want our Captain to get the job done when it counts

Henrik seems like a good person off the ice, but as a captain on the ice..i'd expect him to show a bit more intensity and grit

Ronin 07-07-2011 10:41 PM

I love fire and brimstone captains too that say "FOLLOW ME, BOYS!" before rushing into battle headfirst and smashing everything in his way but that isn't always the best way to do things, especially on a skill-first team like the Canucks. I think it's the greatest thing in sports when a player takes everyone on his back and has that one amazing game where he plays like he's possessed by the hockey gods themselves. That's the sort of guy I think Kesler is as you all saw in the series against the Preds but again, this doesn't prove that all great leaders have to be like this. Look at Lidstrom and tell me that man isn't a great leader.

I guess the comparison isn't quite fair as Lidstrom is a guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest D-men ever but Henrik is a star in his own right. What the Canucks need to do...well, they can either go tough or they can get even more skilled but they have to be able to produce in the playoffs and burn people on the power play when they inevitably get pushed around.

noots 07-07-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

UGH I hope Gillis doesn't sign him... but at least Janssen isn't afraid of anyone

Or maybe he will play on Kesler's wing :troll:

Ronin 07-07-2011 10:47 PM

Twitter is buzzing about rumors of the Canucks interest in Chris Neil of the Sens.

Meh...he'd certainly bring some grit. I don't know how much of upgrade he'd be over Torres. I was actually quite disappointed they didn't re-sign Torres...I liked the way he played.

trancehead 07-07-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 7504242)
Henrik seems like a good person off the ice, but as a captain on the ice..i'd expect him to show a bit more intensity and grit

So would I...but thats probably way too far from their demeanor. I would like to see them deployed on the PK. We'd probably lose a lot more games in the regular season while they get adjusted to killing penalties, but it may be worth it come playoff time.

Even Joe Thornton was killing penalties by the end of last year. I think he also led the league in giveaways the year prior, but had improved significantly this year

clowe 07-07-2011 11:33 PM

Janssen vs Eager:

shawn79 07-07-2011 11:39 PM

gillis eyeing janssen because he probably saw what shawn thorton's toughness brought to the table in the SCF

LsquareD 07-08-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile

oh how i miss watching Rypien rippin' shit up hahah

shawn79 07-08-2011 12:21 AM

rs grouse grind meet tmr?

i heard cnaucks prospects will be there