REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #18776
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
So is Kassian supposed to be NHL ready or what?
I'm hearing so many different theories.

I assume this trade is supposed to upgrade the Canucks NOW and make the team
more prepared to win the cup NOW.

And then there's a flip side that this guy might not even be fully NHL ready, and
power forwards usually take longer to develop than other forwards...

Maybe good reason for me to have stayed silent for the past 15 pages and just wait
and watch him the next few games.
This is a now and future move. He brings something we haven't had since Bertuzzi left, skill + grit.

He can be effective now. If he can score then he can fit in the top 6 and if not, he can grind it out in the bottom 6.

With Henrik and Kesler locking up #1 and #2 in the center position, Cody doesn't fit since he won't surpass them anytime soon nor is he a 3rd line checker.

Kassian SHOULD turn into a good power forward for us.
Advertisement

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #18777

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
I also love the acquisition of Pahlsson.

It allows Kesler to be "offense only" and he won't be used on the PK as much with Manny, Lappy, and Pahlsson able to do that.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #18778
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Gillis says he's NHL ready so take it for what its worth. He was in the AHL for a bit to 'develop' and played a bit this year. Think of it when Hodgson played on the last year on the 4th line with plugs.

Kassian was in the exact situation.
Posted via RS Mobile
OK. Great. So we traded Hodgson for a guy that might not even crack the team roster to help us in the playoffs.

I'll only consider MG's only a genius if Kassian makes an impact this season (for the cup) though,
not 2-3 years down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
This is a now and future move. He brings something we haven't had since Bertuzzi left, skill + grit.

He can be effective now. If he can score then he can fit in the top 6 and if not, he can grind it out in the bottom 6.

With Henrik and Kesler locking up #1 and #2 in the center position, Cody doesn't fit since he won't surpass them anytime soon nor is he a 3rd line checker.

Kassian SHOULD turn into a good power forward for us.
OK, this makes a bit more sense.
Almost like MG made a "safe" gamble.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #18779

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
OK. Great. So we traded Hodgson for a guy that might not even crack the team roster to help us in the playoffs.
...What are you talking about? He's played 27 games for Buffalo this season (that's what I meant by a bit of games) and is expected to play in todays game versus Phoenix.

He was brought in specifically for this years run with his size, grit, and power forward capabilities.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #18780
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
...What are you talking about? He's played 27 games for Buffalo this season (that's what I meant by a bit of games) and is expected to play in todays game versus Phoenix.

He was brought in specifically for this years run with his size, grit, and power forward capabilities.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ok, after reading so many posts of different comments. I misunderstood, thought people were questioning whether he was really NHL ready,
meaning whether he was going to stay as a regular roster or not.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #18781
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Seldom does it happen that players come to Vancouver and get worse. All the players that MG has brought in this season has improved immensely compared to their past years records. Higgins and Lappy are prob the best example.
I think Kassian will flourish here.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #18782
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

The more I read about Kassian, Pahlsson and Gragnani, the more excited I get about them coming here. We all wanted that big power forward, bottom 6 player and depth on D.. We got all that on this deal and moving forward.

Plus I don't think we've seen CoHo against oppositions' top line and top pairing D. I wanna see him against Chara, Malkin on a daily basis now as that will really put him to test.

Gillis knows what his doing but now that I've read a lot and watched Kassian's game.. something tells me that we won this trade.. and Gragnani surprising us all :P

plus.. kassian sounded reallllly excited to come play for the team so that's a plus already

Last edited by 411ken; 02-28-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #18783
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Cody Hodgson was never going to get top 6 minutes in Vancouver. With H Sedin and Kesler down the middle, he would've stayed as the 3rd line center. Factor in AV's trust issues with Hodgson and he would've had even fewer minutes to play.

Pahlson gives AV a true shut down line to turn to to alleviate the pressure off Kesler.

It's tough to see Cody go but he'll get the ice he needs to flourish in Buffalo.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #18784
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Looking forward to tonight's game.

Pretty sad to see CoHo leave, but shit happens.......... it's out of our control and there's no point in crying over spilt milk. Time to move on and get geared up for the playoffs!

Trade deadline comes at right time of year. Enough time for noobs on the team to get used to the way things are done, and relief for the players on those teams that didn't move players. Log jams for last spot makes for interesting end of season. The only thing I fear about that is our players getting injured. Some teams will be fighting hard for points and it'll be tough.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #18785
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
It seems like everyone just repeats the same thing over and over and over again in this thread...
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #18786

^ who cares.. it's a forum man.. i'm sure we don't have time to read every single post to see if someone wrote it already..

anyways.. where would you guys put Kassian tonight?

I'd like to see

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Pahlsson Higgins
Lappy Malhotra Hansen

I think Kesler and Booth's hard work will help kassian's game.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #18787
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Kassian reminds me of another former Canuck, the house, Jim Sandlak. Both big mean SOB, 1st rd picks, similar junior and AHL #s good hands and skill in juniors and AHL. I think realistically he'll settle into a in between Sandlak - Chris Gratton type 40-50pt servicable power forward.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #18788
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
^ Took the words right out of my mouth. Sandlak had 1 20-goal season and he had maybe 2-3 decent seasons before fading into obscurity. In the 90s, no one cared about Sandlak - it was Pavel, Trev, Courtnall, Ronning, and Jyrki Lumme. At least Nedved had one great season for us.

On the other hand, Cody will never be the next coming of Adam Oates. I imagine he'll settle into a solid 60 point guy.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #18789
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
I only hope this guy can hold up to what Gillis thinks he'll achieve

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #18790

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
^ who cares.. it's a forum man.. i'm sure we don't have time to read every single post to see if someone wrote it already..

3rd or 4th line book it. although everyone will be tried everywhere at one point because they will be trying to find chemistry between now and the playoffs

sandlak is a bad comparison imo, dont think he was as good and had the injury history of someone between a young sami salo and rick dipietro.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #18791

@sportsnetmurph:
Samuel Pahlsson will wear #26, Zack Kassian steps right into Hodgson's old #9 jersey and MAG has taken #5. #canucks

Kassian taking Hodgsons old #9 and MAG taking Ehrhoffs old #5
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #18792

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post

I'd like to see

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Pahlsson Higgins
Lappy Malhotra Hansen

I think Kesler and Booth's hard work will help kassian's game.
Kassian won't play on the 2nd line till the playoffs IMO.

He'll start on the 3rd/4th for now and work his way up
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #18793
RS.net PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post

sandlak is a bad comparison imo, dont think he was as good and had the injury history of someone between a young sami salo and rick dipietro.
Yea, the House had some injury issues after his first 3 years in pro hockey that derailed his career, I was more comparing Kassian at this stage of his career to Sandlak's early career, very similar. Sandlak was a force and star in juniors, point a game guy in juniors and AHL, star during the World Jr tourny for Canada, I think he was even the captain for team Canada, Sandlak was a very skilled big man in junior and AHL, maybe a bit more than Kassian, he was the 4th overall pick, just never got it all right at NHL level, part of it due to injurys.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #18794
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Yea, the House had some injury issues after his first 3 years in pro hockey that derailed his career, I was more comparing Kassian at this stage of his career to Sandlak's early career, very similar. Sandlak was a force and star in juniors, point a game guy in juniors and AHL, star during the World Jr tourny for Canada, I think he was even the captain for team Canada, Sandlak was a very skilled big man in junior and AHL, maybe a bit more than Kassian, he was the 4th overall pick, just never got it all right at NHL level, part of it due to injurys.
Don't forget, at the World JR's, Jim Sandlak put a player through the glass with a big body check. Of course Kassim knocked an opposing player into the following week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #18795
Need to Seek Professional Help

Does anyone know what the new players contracts are? Do we lose them next year?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #18796
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Id expect to see Kassian start on the 3rd or 4th line in not important situations until AV sees if hes going to be a liability or not.

The canucks are built on defensively sound forwards. Everyones looking at Kassians potential offensive game, but if hes going to be playing 3rd or 4th line roles, he has to be solid in his own end. That sometimes takes a few years to develop.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #18797
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Kassian drops Ovi 8

This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #18798
RS.net PIMP

Always neat to see a bit of behind the scenes stuff

Official NHL trade call between Sabres, Canucks and NHL confirming Hodgson/Kassian trade

This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #18799

Quote:
Kassian won't play on the 2nd line till the playoffs IMO.

He'll start on the 3rd/4th for now and work his way up
Posted via RS Mobile
That's true..i guess i just got excited lol. I have a feeling AV will give this kid a shot to showcase his talents...i mean.. they did trade CoHo for him who's clearly a fan favorite lol

I wonder if CoHo will sign here again after his contract expires LOL.. that would be awesome
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #18800
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
What people aren't going to understand is that Kassian is not a direct replacement for cody

If anything phaulson (sp) is the replacement as a center, Kassian will be on the 3rd and 4th lines to add depth and grit along with the likes of reinprecht etc

He's almost setup to fail with people expecting him being better than cody, best cast scenario is that he is a serviceable depth guy that adds consistent grit to the lineup
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread