REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #18801
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Kassian has the skillset of a playmaker, teams were worried in his draft year that this guy could be a bust because of how hard he plays the game. 13 fights during draft elgiable year, all this while killin it with Windsor

This is just heard of the radio and I completely agree

A year ago, Gillis went with the Detroit model, 3 lines to out play the opposition in the playoffs. With forwards such as Datsyuk and cleary who can score and play some defensive hockey was key to their success. Its not a very traditional cup winning team model. Our bread and butter was clearly the PP.

The Canucks rolled 3 scoring lines to win the presidents trophy and get to within one of the cup. It looked like this was the direction the team was headed for again this season. I guess MG truly believes that grit is needed to become a winner.

I dont know how GMs or media see this, but the Canucks "window of opportunity" isnt gone yet.

With Cody this year, our second unit PP isnt an afterthought. If the first unit doesn't pull through, in comes our 2nd unit which is still a thread. Now, we go back to what it is last year. The pressure will be on Raymond and Higgins to step up on the 2nd unit. Along with Gragandi who is SCOUTED to be a very good offensive dman

I just hope that the bread and butter of the teams success isnt jeopardized with this deal. Its small step back for bigger things later. Its tough to ask Kassian and Gragandi to become men on this team too soon.
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #18802
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
If he throws his weight around like Torres did with the consistency of a Clutterbuck ill be happy with his performance. His goal scoring ability will probably come with time
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #18803
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

For those who love Goalie Mask art

NHL Masks of this season from SI

Steve Mason - Columbus Blue Jackets - NHL Goalie Masks by Team (2011-12) - Photos - SI.com
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #18804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
best cast scenario is that he is a serviceable depth guy that adds consistent grit to the lineup
. best case scenario hes someone like lucic or even a bit better.

those who say canucks went with the detroit model with 3 scoring lines. detroit doesnt have 3 scoring lines they have 2 and 2 lines that can grind people and have some offensive upside. the only reason people think its 3 is because babcock changes his lines around. they only have 6 "offensive" players. the rest are people who will grind and check. the problem is the canucks tried to almost go with almost 9 offensive players and only 3 checkers. doesnt work in the playoffs.

Last edited by dbaz; 02-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #18805
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post

those who say canucks went with the detroit model with 3 scoring lines. detroit doesnt have 3 scoring lines they have 2 and 2 lines that can grind people and have some offensive upside.
u know what I mean, when that 3rd line with Cleary or Abdelkader can come in and pop goals here and there. Its still similar to what Manny, Hansen and Raymond did all last season

as to the guy that failed my goalie mask post..
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #18806
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,314 Times in 5,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post

those who say canucks went with the detroit model with 3 scoring lines. detroit doesnt have 3 scoring lines they have 2 and 2 lines that can grind people and have some offensive upside. the only reason people think its 3 is because babcock changes his lines around. they only have 6 "offensive" players. the rest are people who will grind and check. the problem is the canucks tried to almost go with almost 9 offensive players and only 3 checkers. doesnt work in the playoffs.
I'm talking about short term bud..
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #18807
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

adding pahlsson into 3rd line in place of CoHo is great cuz he brings leadership and experience as a cup champ. adding grit to that by Kassian.. plus the PP ability of MAG.. we are set for another deep run IMO.

can't wait for the game.. i'm actually excited now to see these new guys play can't wait to see Kassian's first big hit too
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #18808
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
^True but maybe Gillis is thinking ahead.

Schneider might be traded this offseason.

Tampa? Columbus? Maybe we can get Ryan Johansen or Brett Connolly.
Varlamov fetched a 1st round last year. I hope Tampa trade their 2 first round pick for cory (top 5pick + det 1st round from quincey)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #18809
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Detroit's model is where their bottom lines can play against other teams top lines. That gives room for their top line to have higher chances of scoring against the opposing teams bottom lines. Why do you think Babcock coaches one of the best home winning teams?

Compare last years 3rd line centre to this years. Manny vs Cody.

Manny allowed Kesler to have a more offensive role to score. Whereas Cody requires more skilled wingers to flourish. Cody would've been the odd man out if he didn't perform or traded sooner or later.

I'm just shocked that Cody was traded so soon at the deadline when there's a time limit instead of the offseason. The thing shock me even more is that Gillis did not shop him around or at least listen to what offers is available.

So it's either Cody's family influenced the trade to Buffalo or that Gillis has a lot of confidence in Kassian and Gragnani to be contributors in the upcoming years.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #18810
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
For those who love Goalie Mask art

NHL Masks of this season from SI

Steve Mason - Columbus Blue Jackets - NHL Goalie Masks by Team (2011-12) - Photos - SI.com
Nice link thanks. I quite like Jason LaBarbera's, a classy tribute in Pheonix:

“To see him, as a professional athlete, stop doing what he had worked his whole life toward to do something he thought was right — join the Army and go over and do what he did — is a pretty amazing thing,” LaBarbera said. “Nobody else can say that. It’s a pretty special thing he did, so this is a representation of what he did and everyone that’s fighting over there.”

For every win he gets during the 2011-12 season, he plans to donate $420 – Tillman’s number was 42 – to the Pat Tillman Foundation. It was started by Pat’s widow, Marie, and provides support to military service members and their families.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #18811
My homepage has been set to RS

why the hell would you put Ron Mclean and Don Cherry on your mask...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #18812
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
he thinks that if he has ron and don on his mask he wont get ripped on hockey night in canada
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #18813
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
adding pahlsson into 3rd line in place of CoHo is great cuz he brings leadership and experience as a cup champ. adding grit to that by Kassian.. plus the PP ability of MAG.. we are set for another deep run IMO.

can't wait for the game.. i'm actually excited now to see these new guys play can't wait to see Kassian's first big hit too
I wonder if he still has it though. I remember Chicago added him at the deadline in 08-09 and he didn't seem like the same player the Ducks had during their run. Let's hope and see.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #18814

^ ya.. hopefully being on the same team as sedins/edler would help him out and adjust fine... it's a waiting game now..
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #18815

NHL: Sabres and Canucks trade call Video - NHL VideoCenter - Vancouver Canucks

i dont know if this has been posted but here's a video of the trade.. it was Gillman who called in with buffalo rep.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #18816
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post

i dont know if this has been posted but here's a video of the trade.. it was Gillman who called in with buffalo rep.
Already posted, 1 page back.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #18817
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
I'm actually excited for tonight's game. Pahlsson and Kassian is playing for sure.

Gragnani is going to be game time decision though.

hahha thinking about it, ppl are probably pissed about the Kassian trade because he's only 75!!! in NHL 12....
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #18818

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
hahha thinking about it, ppl are probably pissed about the Kassian trade because he's only 75!!! in NHL 12....
...If people base a players skill from game overalls......you shouldn't be watching hockey lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #18819
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

time to pick up kassian in nhl 12
Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #18820

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
This may be unreliable but my teachers son has the same agent as CoHo's and he confirmed that coho asked to be traded
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #18821

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
This may be unreliable but my teachers son has the same agent as CoHo's and he confirmed that coho asked to be traded
Posted via RS Mobile
....If its unreliable why would you post it?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #18822
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
who is your teacher's son? lol
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #18823
RS.net PIMP

Hodgson first tour of the Sabres' facilities, he had to go to Buffalo before meeting the team in Anaheim to sort out immigration and work visa issues now being employed by a US employer. Look for him to start on a line with Ennis and Stafford tomorrow likely wearing #12.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #18824

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctw View Post
who is your teacher's son? lol
His Son drafted for van giants, same agent as coho

I'm just saying to take it with a grain of salt
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #18825
RS.net PIMP

From all reports from media guys, teammates and anyone who saw Cody yesterday, they all say he was genuinely shocked, surprised and shaking to be traded.

Cody Hodgson denies asking Vancouver Canucks for trade | Sports | National Post

Quote:
Cody Hodgson is adamant he had not asked for a trade from the Canucks and was surprised to leave the NHL team in a trade with Buffalo that reconfigured both teams on Monday.

Hodgson, 22 was swapped along with spare-part defenceman Alexander Sulzer to the Sabres near the NHL trade deadline for unproven power winger Zack Kassian, 21, and extra defenceman Marc-Andre Gragnani.

“I was as shocked as anyone,” Hodgson told The Province on Monday evening. “I didn’t see it coming. I really like the city and the fans and the guys are great. But I understand it’s a business and I’m moving on to a new opportunity.......

“It’s tough to leave,” said Hodgson. “Vancouver is such a great city and the fans are so passionate about the game. I just have to look at it on the other side. It’s a good opportunity in Buffalo and I’m going to be playing with a couple guys I know in Tyler Ennis and Tyler Myers and Luke Adam, who I got to know at the all-star game, so it seems like a good group there, too. I hope I can fit in.”........

As he started to score more as the season went on, Hodgson’s ice time became a hot topic in the media, but he said it wasn’t a big deal to him.

“From my perspective I wasn’t too concerned,” he said. “After missing a year, I really enjoyed even being back in the American League last year, and having the opportunity to play in the playoffs was pretty special. This year, whatever role was given, I just tried to go and have fun and enjoy it.”

Hodgson said he wishes the Canucks well.

“I know it’s a business and they have to do what they need to do to win the Stanley Cup,” he said.

“I really appreciated all they’d done. They helped me get back [to playing hockey] and develop, and [gave] me an opportunity last year.”
Closed Thread