REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
I got a ticket from the city when I pulled over to the side and waited to make an U turn.
I stopped there for like less than 30 seconds.
for not paying to park? was it in richmond? This is ridiculous. Stupid cash grab.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
That's why nowadays turds just stop in the freaking middle of the street and put hazard light on instead of pulling over, especially cabs. Good luck fighting it! Make me wonder if people like that get brownie point every time they fuck somebody over.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Even if he warned you, the parking attendant is a douche for handing you a ticket for obeying a MVA law.

Is it a trend that asshole police officers and parking nazis are USUALLY in Richmond? I don't have much reason to drive out there, so I'm fairly uneducated about the subject.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,167 Posts
Isn't there a certain period before an officer can issue a parking ticket? I would find that out if I were you.

The thing is that the officer has to prove that he stood there long enough for the grace period to pass before issuing a ticket.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #30

I think the grace period is 3 mins according to the flashing 0's on coin meter
Posted via RS Mobile
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Even if he warned you, the parking attendant is a douche for handing you a ticket for obeying a MVA law.

Is it a trend that asshole police officers and parking nazis are USUALLY in Richmond? I don't have much reason to drive out there, so I'm fairly uneducated about the subject.
I'm confident this is partially sure to the amount of immigrants in richmond. Most don't speak english well enough or know the local rules to argue, so it's a easy target. Chances are they won't pursue it in court either.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #32
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
Nope. I'll ask for that in court
Posted via RS Mobile
According to the Richmond bylaw. You clearly violated the bylaw and thus deserve the ticket. You "parked" your car with the engine off in a pay parking zone without paying, therefore you got a ticket for it.

The judge will probably tell you the same thing if you ask for the definition since it's written out on the Richmond city website. He/she may sympathize with you and give you a lesser fine.

Saying how you were doing the "safe" thing by pulling over to answer the phone. Yes you were being safe but that doesn't mean you didn't violate any other rules. In this case, being safe got you a parking ticket. Next time either don't answer the call or pull over at a place where you can safely and legally park.

City of Richmond BC - Frequently Asked Questions
Quote:
Q. What is the difference between "no stopping" and "no parking"?
A. No stopping means motorists cannot stop in that zone, whether the vehicle is occupied or not. This means the wheels on the vehicle cannot stop while in this zone, unless to move out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

No parking means motorists are allowed to park the vehicle in a zone indicated as No Parking for up to 5 minutes, for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading of property, goods, or the discharging or taking on of passengers.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledog View Post
According to the Richmond bylaw. You clearly violated the bylaw and thus deserve the ticket. You "parked" your car with the engine off in a pay parking zone without paying, therefore you got a ticket for it.

The judge will probably tell you the same thing if you ask for the definition since it's written out on the Richmond city website. He/she may sympathize with you and give you a lesser fine.

Saying how you were doing the "safe" thing by pulling over to answer the phone. Yes you were being safe but that doesn't mean you didn't violate any other rules. In this case, being safe got you a parking ticket. Next time either don't answer the call or pull over at a place where you can safely and legally park.

City of Richmond BC - Frequently Asked Questions
According to that, i'm 'stopped' and not 'parked' because i'm not discharging or taking on/ loading unloading ppl.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #34
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
According to that, i'm 'stopped' and not 'parked' because i'm not discharging or taking on/ loading unloading ppl.
Posted via RS Mobile
My interpretation to that "no parking" sentence:
If you are engaged in loading or unloading of property, goods, or the discharging or taking on of passengers; then you are allowed to park for up to 5 minutes. Since you weren't doing any of the above, you were not allowed to park at all. That's why you got a ticket.

Of course, my interpretation means nothing. Only the judge's interpretation matters.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #35
private modder

Thanked 2,602 Times in 730 Posts
why don't you look at your ticket and tell us which bylaw you were written up for?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #36
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

so the richmond bylaw is saying as long as your wheels aren't fully stopped... you are not stopped nor parked...

next time, pull over, answer your phone call, and slowly creep forward... and slowly back up. do this back and fourth and you are not breaking any law...

richmond is fucking stupid
Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
why don't you look at your ticket and tell us which bylaw you were written up for?
Bylaw 5870: park without valid proof of payment
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn86 View Post
so the richmond bylaw is saying as long as your wheels aren't fully stopped... you are not stopped nor parked...

next time, pull over, answer your phone call, and slowly creep forward... and slowly back up. do this back and fourth and you are not breaking any law...

Then technically i'd be breaking the MVA act by talking in the phone while operating a vehicle.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn86 View Post

Then technically i'd be breaking the MVA act by talking in the phone while operating a vehicle.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
for not paying to park? was it in richmond? This is ridiculous. Stupid cash grab.
yes in richmond, illegal parking at the fire hydrant.

no one issued a ticket to me at all, they just mailed me a ticket. It was a white truck with city logo followed me from behind.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #41
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
dispute, you'll win the case in like 30 seconds.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #42
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Any way to fight it and say you were "Stopped" and not "Parked"

I don't know the law 100%, but there is a clear difference between being stopped and parked. If you were indeed in the car, with it running. I would figure it would be considered as being "Stopped." Maybe something to look into if you want to fight it?

I would fight it under principle, I wouldn't care about the money because this is just dumb bullshit.
The correct term is "no standing" IE: no sitting in the car with it running. If it just says no parking, you weren't parked. Fight it.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #43
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
I once got a ticket while I quickly pulled over to pick up my gf. YES QUICKLY, pulled in, she walked up and got in. This attendant was on my ass with his siren as I was pulling out.

Month later, the ticket comes in the mail!! Can you believe this scumbag!! He had enough time to take down my number as I drove away.

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #44
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

don't bother disputing coz u will lose based on what u've described

richmond uses the bylaw adjudication system which uses adjudicators and not judges at the hearings. the adjudicator can only decide if the offence occurred or not and they won't take into consideration extenuating circumstances. in this case u've already admitted u were there. being on the phone is an extenuating circumstance the adjudicator won't even consider.

and don't think u may get lucky if the officer doesn't show up coz the new system doesn't require the officer to be present. he only needs to submit a written statement.

save yourself some money and time to dispute and pay it before the fine increases.
Bear2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

You were given a verbal warning, and you chose to carry on your conversation. He gave you the ticket cause you basically told him "fuck you beat it". Not in those words but thats maybe how he took it.
Illusive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive1 View Post
You were given a verbal warning, and you chose to carry on your conversation. He gave you the ticket cause you basically told him "fuck you beat it". Not in those words but thats maybe how he took it.
if OP is describing it accurately, I don't see how it's a verbal warning if he ended it with "oh you going? see ya" unless it was obviously sarcastic.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #47
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
I can't remember if he had white hair but he was an older caucasian gentleman in his 50s. Yes he was rude as fuck.
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
I can't remember if he had white hair but he was an older white prick.
dont sugar coat it.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #48
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
What is it like 30 bucks? I'd just pay it instead of wasting my time going to court. What a sore loser attendant though! You should have made a "lol why u mad tho" face when he gave you a ticket.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #49
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
i'm inside the car with it in neutral.
5spd cars dont have "Park"... so does this mean the No Parking law doesnt apply to standard transmission.. haha no it does not..

You told the guy your leaving in-said timeframe but you clearly did not...
you should have took off when you saw that smirk when the guy told you the first time... or just get out and have change ready and pretend to put money in..
Old 07-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #50
My homepage has been set to RS

you guys actually pay for parking tickets? lol noone pays them that I know of its a fucking money grab!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote