REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Pulled over to the side to answer phone then got a parking ticket!?

So i'm driving along in richmond on saba and my phone rings. I pulled over to the side to answer it and it just so happens that a parking attendant was there. He comes around with this smirk and said "you going to get a ticket? it's pay parking zone" I told him i'm leaving in like a minute as soon as I finish my call. He said "oh you're leaving? See ya" and walks away. He stood behind my car facing the other direction and less than 2 minutes later he comes back with a parking ticket. Raises his voice and says "you park and don't pay, you get ticket" with an attitude. Wtf I'm not parking my car I pulled over to answer a phone call and even explained I'll be gone when the conversation is over and it's safe to drive again. What a jack ass. Called city call and they pretty much said i'll end up paying because i'm parked there, even though i'm inside the car with it in neutral. This is ridiculous, police have way better attitude than that parking attendant asshole.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
What a douche bag I hope he gets run over by a dump truck
Posted via RS Mobile
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

You should've said you were looking for change to put into the meter when he gave you the ticket, then put like 5 cents into the meter!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

douche
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Any way to fight it and say you were "Stopped" and not "Parked"

I don't know the law 100%, but there is a clear difference between being stopped and parked. If you were indeed in the car, with it running. I would figure it would be considered as being "Stopped." Maybe something to look into if you want to fight it?

I would fight it under principle, I wouldn't care about the money because this is just dumb bullshit.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Any way to fight it and say you were "Stopped" and not "Parked"

I don't know the law 100%, but there is a clear difference between being stopped and parked. If you were indeed in the car, with it running. I would figure it would be considered as being "Stopped." Maybe something to look into if you want to fight it?

I would fight it under principle, I wouldn't care about the money because this is just dumb bullshit.
i agree, there is a difference between stop and park.
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
OP, is it Diamond Parking or something else?
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
He was on the street, so it should it would be city.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #9

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
what a fagnut
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I sold my Yaris 5 years ago, and seriously, IT IS better than your shit box civics. The mods I have for that car is probably worth more than your whole self-worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
After spending some time reading through this thread, I now know how to give a killer blowjob. Thanks revscene.

2005 richmond transportation device
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
He was on the street, so it should it would be city.
n725075089-288918-2774.jpg
Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
So i'm driving along in richmond on saba and my phone rings. I pulled over to the side to answer it and it just so happens that a parking attendant was there. He comes around with this smirk and said "you going to get a ticket? it's pay parking zone" I told him i'm leaving in like a minute as soon as I finish my call. He said "oh you're leaving? See ya" and walks away. He stood behind my car facing the other direction and less than 2 minutes later he comes back with a parking ticket. Raises his voice and says "you park and don't pay, you get ticket" with an attitude. Wtf I'm not parking my car I pulled over to answer a phone call and even explained I'll be gone when the conversation is over and it's safe to drive again. What a jack ass. Called city call and they pretty much said i'll end up paying because i'm parked there, even though i'm inside the car with it in neutral. This is ridiculous, police have way better attitude than that parking attendant asshole.
Right there should be enough to dispute it. Clearly you did not park, you only stopped. Hell you could've said you had a leg muscle spasm and was calling your doctor for help and wanted to pull over so its safe for other drivers. I don't see why you should pay the ticket.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I don't see what's the problem here.

He came and asked/warned you already and you didn't leave right away. Who knows how long your phone call is going to be. You can have a 2-hour phone call in the car so him giving you a ticket is justified in this occasion (as per the city bylaw).

You obviously "stopped" for more than 3 minutes without any intention to leave (yet) so I would considered it "parked" already.

(Of course he's a douche but live and learn?)

EDIT:From City of Vancouver bylaw (not Richmond but I assume they should be similar)
Quote:

"Stopping" - is the coming to rest or the state of being at rest of a vehicle. It is the stopping or standing of a vehicle whether occupied or not.

"Parking" - is the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, other than up to 5 minutes for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading of merchandise or discharging or taking on passengers.

Last edited by littledog; 07-15-2011 at 12:33 PM.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #13

was this an important call or emergency? if not, i wouldn't have answered the phone at all or just say you'll call him/her back.
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,524 Times in 833 Posts

What a douchebag
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,176 Posts
Wow this guy is a total prick.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote from a judge for someone fighting one of these tickets:
If you pull over to answer your cell phone, you must do so in a safe and LEGAL manner. Stopping in a bus zone or no stopping anytime is illegal, even if you are answering your cell. That's why we have caller id and voice mail. Pull over legally, then call the person back.

A lot of ppl have this misconception that if they are in the car, they are not parked. That is not true.

In this case, the officer did give you a verbal warning first.
Personally, if the officer gave me a verbal warning, I would have told the caller, I will call back and move my car. That verbal warning was the chance to move the car.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #17

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Regardless of how you argue or whether the ticket is justified or not, the parking attendant is a fcking douche.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Chubby chasin' since '89

Just dispute it because its all based on what you're charged with. If you are Stopped/Standing and you are being charged for parking you can fight it. Either way just dispute the ticket. Worst case scenario you lose. But you got nothing to lose trying to fight it.
iNS0MNiAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,774 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNS0MNiAC View Post
Just dispute it because its all based on what you're charged with. If you are Stopped/Standing and you are being charged for parking you can fight it. Either way just dispute the ticket. Worst case scenario you lose. But you got nothing to lose trying to fight it.
There's probably a discount for paying within the first 30 days
Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
RS Licensed Vendor

Ooohh was it an old white haired caucasian dude? I was "stopped" in an empty permit parking like 11pm on the phone on a small side street once and he came up to me. The whole street was empty. I was just making a call too and he came up to me and gave me attitude and said to move. I called him a not so polite name and drove off.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
Ooohh was it an old white haired caucasian dude? I was "stopped" in an empty permit parking like 11pm on the phone on a small side street once and he came up to me. The whole street was empty. I was just making a call too and he came up to me and gave me attitude and said to move. I called him a not so polite name and drove off.
I can't remember if he had white hair but he was an older caucasian gentleman in his 50s. Yes he was rude as fuck.

I'd understand if it was a 'warning' like if he said initially 'ok you have 60secs to finish and leave or i'll ticket you', I would of left. Instead he said 'ok see ya' when I said i'll leave after I finish calling. Max time from the moment I pulled over to the moment I received a ticket was maybe 5 mins. I had both my windows down but car off because I don't like idling. I wasn't taking up precious spots either cuz no one was parked on that street.

I went to city hall right after and they pretty much said I deserved the ticket because technically I was parked. I can choose to dispute it but if I loose i'll have to pay an extra $25 on top of the max fine for admin fees lol. Either way i'm going to dispute this, I don't care about the $75 but think this is wrong. According to them, it's better to talk on the phone while driving and risk an accident than pull over in a pay parking zone for 5 min to talk.

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by J____; 07-15-2011 at 04:51 PM.
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #22
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,774 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
I can't remember if he had white hair but he was an older caucasian gentleman in his 50s. Yes he was rude as fuck.

I'd understand if it was a 'warning' like if he said initially 'ok you have 60secs to finish and leave or i'll ticket you', I would of left. Instead he said 'ok see ya' when I said i'll leave after I finish calling. Max time from the moment I pulled over to the moment I received a ticket was maybe 5 mins. I had both my windows down but car off because I don't like idling. I wasn't taking up precious spots either cuz no one was parked on that street.

I went to city hall right after and they pretty much said I deserved the ticket because technically I was parked. I can choose to dispute it but if I loose i'll have to pay an extra $25 on top of the max fine for admin fees lol. Either way i'm going to dispute this, I don't care about the $75 but think this is wrong. According to them, it's better to talk on the phone while driving and risk an accident than pull over in a pay parking zone for 5 min to talk.

Posted via RS Mobile
Did they give you a definition of stopped vs parked?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
Quote from a judge for someone fighting one of these tickets:
If you pull over to answer your cell phone, you must do so in a safe and LEGAL manner. Stopping in a bus zone or no stopping anytime is illegal, even if you are answering your cell. That's why we have caller id and voice mail. Pull over legally, then call the person back.

A lot of ppl have this misconception that if they are in the car, they are not parked. That is not true.

In this case, the officer did give you a verbal warning first.
Personally, if the officer gave me a verbal warning, I would have told the caller, I will call back and move my car. That verbal warning was the chance to move the car.

I was not in a dangerous illegal zone. 1 spot ahead is a no stopping zone.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Did they give you a definition of stopped vs parked?
Nope. I'll ask for that in court
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
I got a ticket from the city when I pulled over to the side and waited to make an U turn.
I stopped there for like less than 30 seconds.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote