REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:15 PM   #16651
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
I like the idea, but as hobz said, what are the work opportunities? I worked from home all my life, but that looks like it could be coming to an end soon, and living in the boonies wouldn't work for me
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:55 PM   #16652
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,281 Times in 1,969 Posts
Guys! Stop Hating

People from Nanaimo can endure head trauma and still win!

Also, we wasted page 666 talking about shitholes
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2023, 09:44 PM   #16653
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,911 Posts
...winner had lots of practice and training in Nanaimo.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:10 PM   #16654
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Calgary doesn't have an ocean either.
Where are you going to see a concert in naniamo, where are you going to go eat, where are you going to go snowboarding? There is fuck all to do involving socialization there, which is why people sit in their oceanfront homes watching 45 minute videos about tiktok clips.
Those thinks may be important to you but they are not to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I feel like we already beat this horse to death in the real estate thread several months ago. If you're a socialite who needs "big city amenities" a place like that is not for you.
If you like space and outdoor recreation, it's probably going to work a lot better.

As I get older I'm hermitizing. I just want acreage to fuck around on (garden, build things etc) a plethora of nearby camping and lakes etc, and a free public boat launch on the ocean within a short drive. I personally could go the rest of my life without going to another concert, sporting event, and have only the pick of chain restaurants to choose from, and I would not feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Got the boat in the water last weekend, got some fresh prawns
My buddy from Nanaimo Honda's cousin moved from Nanaimo to the mainland got married and had kids. Ended up moving back and buying a couple of acres. he spends his days after work going to the river and camping on the weekend. Has an RV and a couple of bikes. He could care less about going to a concert or eating out. Rather spent the time with friends and family.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #16655
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-932188/246...icum-Beach-BC/

This is the kind of island living I could get used to - steps from the water, 15 min walk to amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I feel like we already beat this horse to death in the real estate thread several months ago. If you're a socialite who needs "big city amenities" a place like that is not for you.
If you like space and outdoor recreation, it's probably going to work a lot better.

As I get older I'm hermitizing. I just want acreage to fuck around on (garden, build things etc) a plethora of nearby camping and lakes etc, and a free public boat launch on the ocean within a short drive. I personally could go the rest of my life without going to another concert, sporting event, and have only the pick of chain restaurants to choose from, and I would not feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Got the boat in the water last weekend, got some fresh prawns
Old 05-30-2023, 10:08 AM   #16656
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,353 Times in 5,655 Posts
Not my cousin, and not an example of a “normal” person leaving the LML for nanaimo lol. Good try though
Old 05-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #16657
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
The Official No Need To Start a New Thread, Thread

Anyone here drink Scotch?

A baller won the right to buy this 81 year old bottle of single malt Scotch from a liquor store on Cambie street last week on May 25th. $228 thousand bucks before tax and container deposit.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-liqu...otch-1.6410438

A draw at a Vancouver liquor store this week will determine who gets to spend $228,000 – plus tax and a container deposit – on a single bottle of Scotch.

There are only 288 bottles of the 81-year-old single-malt The Maccallan The Reach in the world and BCLIQUOR is the only retailer in Canada to "offer its customers the opportunity" to pay the six figures it will cost to take it home.

The whisky itself was aged in a "single, sherry seasoned oak cask" starting in 1940 – just before the distillery had to close during World War II, according to the product's website.

"Created during a turbulent time for The Macallan and the world, The Reach is testament to our history, ingenuity and unmistakable strength of character … Slowly maturing over eight decades, its triumphant release allows us, in the present age, to reach back in history to that difficult time."

The flavour is described as smooth, complex and characterized by "a rich, sweet smokiness." The Scotch is also "housed in a mouth-blown glass decanter, cradled by three bronze hands" and housed in a custom, wooden cabinet.

Entries for the draw must be submitted in-person Thursday between 4 and 7 p.m. at the West 39th Avenue and Cambie Street location. The winning entry will be chosen at 7:15 p.m. and the person must be in the store at the time in order to purchase the whisky.

ID will be checked and the BC Liquor Store advises would-be purchasers to make sure their debit or credit cards have high enough limits to allow for such a significant purchase.

The whisky won't actually be given to the person who buys it on the night of the draw.

"Due to the price point of The Macallan The Reach 81-Year-Old, BCL will be taking advanced security measures in ensuring the product is safely purchased. BCL will arrange a separate pick-up schedule (for a later date) for the successful candidate to claim their purchased bottle," the website for Thursday's event says.

Last edited by pastarocket; 05-30-2023 at 11:33 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:18 AM   #16658

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Where's this debate coming from?

Downtown Nanaimo was pretty cracked out when I was there last year. We were on a boat trip so our yacht was docked overnight in the marina by Bastion Square Park.

It was a literal shit show in that area the whole night, I was actually pretty shocked walking around that area in terms of how badly it had regressed.

I'm sure other parts of Nanaimo are fine, but that wouldn't be my choice on the island. Much prefer Comox, Parksville or Langford.

Homelessness is an issue province-wide though, the island is no exception to that. Downtown Victoria was really bad when we were there back in March as well.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #16659

Thanked 4,583 Times in 1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Anyone here drink Scotch?

A baller won the right to buy this 81 year old bottle of single malt Scotch from a liquor store on Cambie street last week. $228 thousand bucks before tax and container deposit.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-liqu...otch-1.6410438
Imagine simply winning the right to buy a nearly quarter million bottle of booze

God damn
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:16 PM   #16660

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
If someone is willing to pay 220k for a bottle I bet they would be willing to pay 5k or more to the winner of the draw for the right to purchase the bottle.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #16661
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Where's this debate coming from?

Downtown Nanaimo was pretty cracked out when I was there last year. We were on a boat trip so our yacht was docked overnight in the marina by Bastion Square Park.

It was a literal shit show in that area the whole night, I was actually pretty shocked walking around that area in terms of how badly it had regressed.

I'm sure other parts of Nanaimo are fine, but that wouldn't be my choice on the island. Much prefer Comox, Parksville or Langford.

Homelessness is an issue province-wide though, the island is no exception to that. Downtown Victoria was really bad when we were there back in March as well.
the debate only comes from every time someone makes a crack about naniamo Manic seems to think he's got this life hack that you can just move to naniamo and pay 1/4 the money of living in Vancouver and live the same lifestyle. If you're in the same country, you don't get some magical place thats just cheaper and better. Things cost more because there is more demand for them, unless you are in a completely different economy. Everywhere on the planet is cool, or sucks for different reasons.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:53 PM   #16662

Not a scotch drinker so I can’t speak to that bottle specifically but I’m sure it’s priced at that point for a reason

However, speaking as someone who can’t afford it lol.. when we were in Portugal we spent 4-5 days in the duro valley where almost all the port is made. I could have/should have (when you’re questioning somthing half a world away always do it! Lol) bought a 1962 bottle of port for about $550 CAD which was cellared on site since bottling

You could also buy bottles like 1929, 1915 for sub $2000 CAD

Thought it was a pretty killer deal considering the age and being stored on site

It’s obviously not as much of a big deal for Whiskey but in the wine world buying somthing thay has been cellared since purchased at the point of of delivery is a fairly big deal
Old 05-30-2023, 01:22 PM   #16663

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
container deposit.
I don't know why but the idea of a container deposit on a bottle of booze worth that much seems hilarious.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2023, 03:25 PM   #16664
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

State Farm will no longer insure new homes in California because of wildfire risks

Maybe will happen to Canada as well?
I wonder if any private companies are working to invent better ways to put out wild fire.
Seem like there is BIG money to be made... Gov would pay in blank cheques as wild fires are costing billions of dollars every year....
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:42 PM   #16665
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
State Farm will no longer insure new homes in California because of wildfire risks

Maybe will happen to Canada as well?
I wonder if any private companies are working to invent better ways to put out wild fire.
Seem like there is BIG money to be made... Gov would pay in blank cheques as wild fires are costing billions of dollars every year....
Had listened to a few wildfire podcasts recently, and the common theme seems to be -- the firefighting efforts could certainly be improved, but the problem is multi-fold:

- One of the best adaptation strategies seems to be controlled burns, but it also seems like the general public are quite against doing this because it is not a popular idea among the general public. The public don't like to see stuff getting burned, and there is no escaping the smoke and pollutants that are produced from the controlled burns even though the amount would pale in comparison to the smoke and pollution that results from the actual wildfires.

- Banning human access into the parks would dramatically reduce incidents of wildfires, and it also has a very favourable cost-to-savings ratio. But again, the idea is unpopular among the public.

- Response time is also critical because some wildfires spread and go out of control in minutes. If a fire start-up site is 50km away from the closest wildfire control station, you almost have no chance to put it out since it'll take too long for the firefighting crew to get there on time before it spreads out of control.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #16666
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
We've got like 20-25 years left and it won't be a problem anymore probably.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #16667
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Imagine simply winning the right to buy a nearly quarter million bottle of booze

God damn
Isn't this how people buy Porsches?

Wait you also need to give up your current bottle of booze to the store

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2023, 05:08 PM   #16668

Eventually it will be so bad you’ll just have to let fires go.

Hopefully it’s a period of 10 years or whatever and enough shit burns that it isn’t a constant hinderance on the coast but that’s probably not likely.

Two different cabins we go to had fires get within half a km or so, it’s actually fairly ideal for them because where the fires were, that’s about as bad as it can get so the threat has kind of passed for now
Old 05-30-2023, 06:16 PM   #16669

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
- Banning human access into the parks would dramatically reduce incidents of wildfires, and it also has a very favourable cost-to-savings ratio.
In reality I could see that not working as well as they'd hope. People will still illegally enter the areas and they'll still have fires, but now you'll have fewer people around to deal woth or report unattended fires. My friends and I put out 5 in 1 night last summer, but we wouldn't have been up there if the area was closed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:03 PM   #16670
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Fucking crows are aggressive mofos this year again. Was out doing Sunday morning walk other day, had two dive out of no where right for my back of my head. Good thing I am pretty aware of my surroundings, quickly ran under trees so they couldn't come after me.

Noticed so many around my neighborhood lately, saw one in my yard. So I chased this mofo out, then I saw it recruit backup, ended up staking out on one of the power lines outside my backyard LOL. I guess I should just bring an umbrella or hiking pole when I go walk out now, just to protect myself. Sometimes you can't even expect when they come after, one year one of them when right into my back of my head (good thing I was wearing a thick hat at that time, would have bruised my head if it weren't for the hat).
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #16671
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
^ you are on their hit list now, and they told all their friends about you.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:49 PM   #16672
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Crows are aggressive mofos if you've somehow crossed them, and their good memory means they and their friends would hold grudges against you at least for some time too.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:09 PM   #16673
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
@BadHobz

https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signa...000181804.html
Old 05-30-2023, 11:48 PM   #16674
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Ahhh yes the yearly crow nesting season again be safe out there!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:47 AM   #16675
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Crows get really nasty if you mistreat them, but are also very nice when you treat them well. When I was 4 or 5 we had a crow Henry who would come every day after school for snacks, and he'd just hang out and get pretty close. Could never pet him or anything but I will always remember Henry.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote