REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-15-2022, 07:18 PM   #7026
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Currently radiator is on the top.
Cooling config:
Front: 2 140mm intake (ML140 LED White)
Top: 2 120mm exhaust (rad) (ML120)
Back: 1 120 exhaust (ML120 LED White)
Side panel is on

Low load/Idle:
CPU: 45C
RAM: 37C
GPU: 40C

Stock 3080 settings atm. ASUS TUF 3080 nLHR
Fan curves are auto.

EDIT:
Gaming:
CPU: 71C
RAM: 47C
GPU: 68C

without side panel it only goes down a few degrees each component, doesnt seem too significant. CPU does drop like 4-5C.

still sounds like a jet taking off though. using corsair ML120 and ML140 fans currently.
Sounds like PBO-related on the CPU side and fan curve related overall.

If it's mostly the GPU going like a jet engine, you can try undervolting it as well. I have the same card and mine is at 1830Mhz at 0.85v.
Advertisement
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #7027
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Can someone recommend a local store that can swap out the cpu socket on a z390 motherboard? I messed up the pins.

Would it be cost efficient?
Retrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #7028
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrac View Post
Can someone recommend a local store that can swap out the cpu socket on a z390 motherboard? I messed up the pins.

Would it be cost efficient?
How bad is it? You can usually bend the pins back carefully and then once it's in the socket, it'll straighten back out..

edit: nvm, misread.... pins on the motherboard. shit. sorry.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2022, 01:19 AM   #7029
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,691 Posts
PC Building Simulator 2: Open Beta (but it ends on June 20)

https://www.pcbuildingsim.com/post/p...or-2-open-beta

Has anyone played the first game? I never heard of it until last night and I spent a couple of hours playing the free demo. It was fun, although the demo felt kind simple and repetitive. I'll have to wait for reviews when the full game comes out to see if there's enough substance to the game for it to be something that I can continue to enjoy for months.

You're a Tech Support and you build/fix customer PC's. It's an interesting concept if you like to geek out on PC parts and the building aspect. All the components are real world licensed parts. Best thing is there is no part shortage like IRL, lol.

I tried to build my actual PC, substituting some parts that weren't available.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:50 PM   #7030
Say! Say! Say!

I imported a Vewlix arcade clone a little over a month ago. Finally got it to a point today where I'm quite satisfied.

It came out of the factory with a JAMMA Pandora's Box, but I pretty much gutted most of the stuff inside the cabinet including the power supply. In place of the Pandora's Box, I threw in my own computer with an i3-10100 and a 1660 Super. The stock 32" 1080p monitor performs surprisingly very well, so I have no intentions of swapping it.

The arcade is set up so when it automatically boots into Windows, it loads into Steam Big Picture, and from there I can access RetroArch (for arcade emulation) and modern fighters.

The joystick and buttons are Sanwa and I have them connected to a Brook Zero Pi fighting board, which Windows sees as an XBOX controller. I've also wired the coin mechanism to the coin key in RetroArch so I can drop a coin in and it'll add a credit, although this is more of a gimmick because I barely do it, lol.

I swapped the speakers, added an amp and subwoofer, and replaced the sub-panels on the top for extra functionality.

Only really have a few things left to do:
* Decide if I want to keep the topper or not
* Possibly swap out the three sub-panel buttons as the metallic silver seems little out of place
* Replace the nesica reader decal (the reader itself doesn't actually work as it's just for looks)
* Add some Qi charging coils under the nesica reader to turn it into a wireless charger for my phone
* Possibly replace the character art with some generic Vewlix art

I think I'll import another one in the future when I have more space, lol.

Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:03 PM   #7031
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,527 Times in 4,316 Posts
Dude, that is sick!

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2022, 09:09 PM   #7032
Say! Say! Say!

I have some spare Ikea Lack tables. Thinking about stacking them so I can optimize space for my printer, server, and some network equipment.

Saw this video. Looks pretty simple and clean.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2022, 03:26 AM   #7033
Say! Say! Say!

Anyone running pfSense behind their Telus modem that can hook me up with some working settings for Optik TV?
Old 08-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #7034
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
is there a reason you want to run the optik tv boxs inside your network vs just plugging it into the telus modem/router?
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #7035
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
is there a reason you want to run the optik tv boxs inside your network vs just plugging it into the telus modem/router?
It's an old house and I don't want to run any additional wires since it's just a single box in my little office/man-cave. The other box is in the living room and it has a stable wireless connection to the Telus trash can so that one is fine.

It was previously working fine with the PVR connected this way.

PVR > TP-Link AP > TP-Link dumb switch > Telus trash can

Since I recently built an Unraid box, I currently have it setup this way.

PVR > TP-Link AP > TP-Link dumb switch > pfSense > Telus trash can

The only difference is that there is now a pfSense box in the equation. However, pfSense is working fine and pulling a public WAN address with the Telus trash can in bridge mode.

I looked up what others are using on dslreports/reddit and it seems like I have all the right firewall rules and IGMP proxy settings.

Just wanted to see if anyone on this board has gotten it working and what settings they were using.

Links I tried - https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30920470- and https://github.com/peacey/udm-telus

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 08-02-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #7036
Say! Say! Say!

Spent a bit more time on it today. Can confirm firewall rules are correct as I can see IGMP traffic being allowed through in the logs.

I'm pretty sure IGMP proxy is configured properly. I have tried setting the upstream to the Telus subnets (207.0.0.0/8, 209.0.0.0/8, 216.0.0.0/8) with my internal network as the downstream. Also tried 0.0.0.0/0 for both upstream/downstream.

It looks like my PVR is reaching out for a multicast address, but no traffic is being returned so the signal cuts off. When I look at the connection states, they're all logged as SINGLE:NO_TRAFFIC and NO_TRAFFIC:SINGLE on both the WAN/LAN interfaces.

Just need to figure out why this is happening.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #7037
HELP ME PLS!!!

if you have a coax outlet near by, i would suggest to use a moca.

telus probably have their own crap programmed into their modems to work with their optic boxes

another thing you can try is dump that device into a new rule to allow everything and not block anything to see. seems like a rule is still blocking the traffic.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #7038
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
if you have a coax outlet near by, i would suggest to use a moca.

telus probably have their own crap programmed into their modems to work with their optic boxes

another thing you can try is dump that device into a new rule to allow everything and not block anything to see. seems like a rule is still blocking the traffic.
Yeah, I tried just opening everything during testing and have since slowly locked down the rules.

Apparently the WiFi Hub (the older one seems to be ok) might still be interfering with multicast traffic even in bridge mode. This makes sense why pfSense doesn't see the multicast packets and my stream just dies.

I'll probably end up having to buy a SFP adapter and throwing that into the server. Wish Telus just installed an ONT in my house instead of giving me this all-in-one box.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:24 PM   #7039
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,398 Times in 3,473 Posts
Anyone order the LTT backpack? He has sold over 12000 in one day @ a price of $249 US.
Thats over 3 mill US.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:20 PM   #7040
Say! Say! Say!

Ok, fixed my Optik TV issues. Can confirm that the Telus WiFi Hub still filters multicast traffic even when it's bridged. Confirmed this by using a simple SFP to RJ45 media converter for testing.

On a side note, the GPON SFP module that comes with the WiFi Hub is trash. It only negotiates at 2.5Gbps so I couldn't get it working with my Mellanox 10G SFP NIC that only does 1/10Gbps. Apparently it can negotiate with the GPON if I soldered something on the NIC, but speeds won't be gigabit so it's not worth it.

With the problem being the WiFi Hub, I bought a Nokia ONT off of Craigslist to act as the media converter. This is the same setup we have in our offices and I didn't want to spend several hundred on a 2.5Gbps SFP compatible switch just to get TV in my man cave.

Called Telus and they can't activate the Nokia ONT without a technician on-site. They said there must be a reason they didn't install a Nokia ONT to begin with.. lol. So now a technician is coming in on Sunday just to make a phone call.. what a joke.

EDIT: Give live chat a try and they were able to switch me over. Telus Optik TV is now working now.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 08-05-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:36 PM   #7041
HELP ME PLS!!!

lol surprised you didn't have an ONT in the first place. Every place I've been too that has telus fibre has an ONT installed.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #7042
Say! Say! Say!

I was surprised when I had fiber installed at my house. I asked him where the Nokia ONT was and he's like it's not necessary for homes anymore. Wasn't really planning on ditching the Telus gear at the time so didn't think much of it.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #7043
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,527 Times in 4,316 Posts
Wow. I have the ONT installed at my house. How did they not install one at your place? One less piece of equipment for me the better.

Mind you, I am the only adopter of fibre to the home and Telus customers on my block. I got it immediately when it was avaialble.

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #7044
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Wow. I have the ONT installed at my house. How did they not install one at your place? One less piece of equipment for me the better.

Mind you, I am the only adopter of fibre to the home and Telus customers on my block. I got it immediately when it was avaialble.
Yeah, if you had the Actiontec T3200M or the WiFi Hub, the devices come with a SFP port so no need for the Nokia ONT. The fiber goes straight into the GPON SFP adapter and that goes into one of the two devices.

I didn't mind the extra box and I have space on the wall to mount it. Rather pay $30 for an ONT (Telus wouldn't ship one to me) than spend hundreds on a switch that could negotiate with the GPON just to get Optik TV working.

Been meaning to replace the crappy WiFi Hub for a while now, so I'm pretty satisfied. Traffic (including Optik TV) routes properly through my pfSense VM to the rest of my LAN.

Next thing on my agenda is to buy a managed switch to segregate my devices into VLANs. But considering I just dropped quite a bit of money (I built an Unraid NAS) it'll have to wait.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:51 PM   #7045

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,882 Posts
So the last couple days the wifi from my router has been acting up. If I reboot it either my phone or my wifes will work okay but the other gets horrific speeds, <4Mbps when I ran a speed test on my S10. The router is an old ASUS RT-N65U. I haven't changed any settings on it in ages so should I assume it's dying and source a replacement or is there something I can check into?

If it is time for something new, what do you guys recommend? I don't need anything crazy but I want something decent.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:35 PM   #7046
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
you're in a house?
get a mesh for the coverage
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #7047
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,841 Times in 8,203 Posts
Might be time to upgrade your network to WiFi6 anyway. Like I posted before, I am really happy with my TP-Link AX50. Intel chipset, really stable, fast, cheap (like $77).
`
Only downside is no mesh support, so I can't use it with my new modem the way I want. There might be a newer model now with mesh
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2022, 06:49 PM   #7048
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,396 Times in 5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Yeah, if you had the Actiontec T3200M or the WiFi Hub, the devices come with a SFP port so no need for the Nokia ONT. The fiber goes straight into the GPON SFP adapter and that goes into one of the two devices.

I didn't mind the extra box and I have space on the wall to mount it. Rather pay $30 for an ONT (Telus wouldn't ship one to me) than spend hundreds on a switch that could negotiate with the GPON just to get Optik TV working.

Been meaning to replace the crappy WiFi Hub for a while now, so I'm pretty satisfied. Traffic (including Optik TV) routes properly through my pfSense VM to the rest of my LAN.

Next thing on my agenda is to buy a managed switch to segregate my devices into VLANs. But considering I just dropped quite a bit of money (I built an Unraid NAS) it'll have to wait.

That is an SFP ONT which the fiber plugs into?

With Telus you can’t go over gigabit with the full sized Nokia ONT, only SFP ONT, both are by Nokia. The T3200 also isn’t capable of over about 1.2GB. You either need the TWH or BoostV2

I’m using 2 of the BV2 right now, they are actually excellent. Huge step up from my wifi5 netgear nightjawk I just returned to Costco lol. Telus designed and built both the TWH and BV2 in house. And as a result the GUI is extremely limited
Old 09-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #7049

Thanked 8,932 Times in 3,882 Posts
I don't think I really need a mesh network, my house is shaped like a box and the only place with weak coverage right now is the end of the driveway because there's tons of concrete between there and the router.

One consideration I forgot to mention is I need to be able to have a guest wireless network of some kind. I want to keep my work laptop isolated from the rest of the network.

edit: I forgot I had 5GHz as well, I swapped to that and it works fine. So I'm going to assume the 2.4GHz radio is dying.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:13 PM   #7050
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That is an SFP ONT which the fiber plugs into?

With Telus you can’t go over gigabit with the full sized Nokia ONT, only SFP ONT, both are by Nokia. The T3200 also isn’t capable of over about 1.2GB. You either need the TWH or BoostV2
Yeah, I have gigabit, so it's fine. No plans to upgrade for the next little bit.

I pulled just a bit over 900 symmetrical last time I checked, but all the computers in my house are wireless clients so it doesn't actually matter too much. My main desktop pulls around 650/550 with WiFi 6. I just wanted Optik TV working from my man cave with pfSense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I don't think I really need a mesh network, my house is shaped like a box and the only place with weak coverage right now is the end of the driveway because there's tons of concrete between there and the router.

One consideration I forgot to mention is I need to be able to have a guest wireless network of some kind. I want to keep my work laptop isolated from the rest of the network.

edit: I forgot I had 5GHz as well, I swapped to that and it works fine. So I'm going to assume the 2.4GHz radio is dying.
Any single wireless router should be good enough. I saw someone share this on RFD earlier today.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amaz...59-98-2564480/

For $60, it should be a pretty decent upgrade. You'll get 802.11ac.

If you want to spend more money and your network speeds at home can take advantage of it, a WiFi 6 compatible router might be worth it.
This post thanked by: