REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #201
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
For the bailouts alone, why shouldn't people be protesting!?
Because they don't understand what a bailout is. The bailouts were loans, not handouts as many protesting seem to think while they stick their hands out.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #202
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Right now, the line on the curve is bent towards the top(in an exponential fashion) where the hard work is so front loaded for the poor that they stop.
You're right about the curve being bent, you're wrong about it being hard and why it is front loaded.

It is not hard, its actually easier than ever to get ahead today than anytime else in history. We have tons of social programs, easy access to credit (if you use it for good, not waste it on iCrap), great education systems, subsidized education, ... and the economic model of eBay, iStore, ... easily allows the little guy to get in on the action.

So why does it seem hard? This also answers why its front loaded. People just just fucking lazy and entitled. It happens as societies advance and people stop moving for a better life and demand one be provided for them where they are. This bends the curve, cause most blame the system and heavily weigh down one end creating a front loaded curve.

I went from bankrupt at 18, to making 6 figures before I was 30 (which puts me in the 5%, one day hopefully the 1%). I went from worrying if I'll make next month's rent and studying hard to keep my scholarships, to having enough put away in my RRSPs to fund my retirement before I was 30yo and buying my first house at 25yo. It was easy, there's was tons of help available to me.

Last edited by taylor192; 10-14-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #203
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
My Soapbox Advice to the OWS Movement and then some « blog maverick
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #204
Banned (ABWS)

I absolutely agree with #4 and would take it further. You only have to visit the Business forum here to find wannabe day traders who are not looking for any value in buying companies, just patterns of ups/downs. This shouldn't be allowed, nevermind taxed.

This would also fix his point on executive compensation. My own company is guilty of doing things to manipulate stock price, cause sometimes even hitting targets means the price dips cause market expectation was to exceed it. If we remove speculation from the market then we won't get these wild swings and companies won't try and play games to influence stock price. Win win.

The problem with point #1 is that many people don't actually own common stock. I don't. I'm diversified via funds, and admittedly I only care if the fund meets the targets I need for retirement. It would be nice for me to say I'd take the high road and buy stock in well run companies - yet those companies aren't making the 6-7% my retirement plans require.

So back to something I've repeated too often: how do I make 6-7% gains in a market with a GDP increase of 2-3%? Someone has to lose for me to beat the market, especially by that kind of margin. Of the 99%, ~40% still have defined pensions which require those gains or they become ponzi schemes, and then there's people like me with self managed retirement plans that need the same. I'll guess there's at least 60% of the 99% that would be very unhappy with their retirement plans being cut in half by accepting 2-3% gains.

---

A better example many here can probably relate to: how many here shop at Whole Foods vs cheaper grocery stores? how many shop at Walmart? Whole Foods pays their employees a livable wage with benefits and cares about the products on the shelves - yet the food costs much more. Walmart tries to keep employees part time to avoid paying them benefits which keeps costs down. I'm willing to bet most here aren't willing to take that extra hit to their pocket book to support good local jobs - so why are we protesting wall street when we aren't even looking out for those in our own backyard?

Or another example: how many shop across the border to save money? Not paying their fair share of tax here, and not supporting local jobs here.

I shop at IGA and picked up stuff at Point Roberts today. Are my decisions any better than these CEOs we're criticizing?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #205
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Kevin O'Leary vs Chris Hedges

Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #206
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Wow was that really CBC? sounded more like FOX indeed!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #207
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Wow was that really CBC? sounded more like FOX indeed!
Posted via RS Mobile
Apparently Kevin got into shit afterward from CBC for his name calling. But this is not the first time he crossed the line and won't the last that's for sure.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #208
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/52624...ml#post7614579

I'll leave this hear... fucktard.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #209
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I'll put it in context here. I just made a comment, you brought the fight over this:

There's some great posts above, not just mine. You'd be better off if you understood them and replied to them instead of head hunting my sarcastic comments cause you don't like my opinion. My opinion won't change, so stop wasting your time - convince the rest, yet good luck with that.

and I'm willing to bet you shop at Walmart and across the border, at least I'm honest about being a part of the problem and not just sitting with my hand out. You might try doing the same.

Last edited by taylor192; 10-15-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #210
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #211
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
So disorganized. Took them 2 hours to come to a consensus that microphone and speakers are better than yelling.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #212
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Because they don't understand what a bailout is. The bailouts were loans, not handouts as many protesting seem to think while they stick their hands out.
didnt some companies default on their bailouts

and others used govt loans to payoff their bailout (kind of like using credit cars to pay off other credit cards)

etc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #213
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Occupy Vancouver full of people drinking Starbucks while texting on iPhones

Oh the irony
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #214
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
I'll put it in context here. I just made a comment, you brought the fight over this:

There's some great posts above, not just mine. You'd be better off if you understood them and replied to them instead of head hunting my sarcastic comments cause you don't like my opinion. My opinion won't change, so stop wasting your time - convince the rest, yet good luck with that.

and I'm willing to bet you shop at Walmart and across the border, at least I'm honest about being a part of the problem and not just sitting with my hand out. You might try doing the same.
Quote:
Go fuck yourself you piece of shit, if you cannot handle an off the cuff comment without ranting and following my posts around you need to take a timeout.

-Maj
Old 10-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #215
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Majin you're Greek aren't you? Seem to be following in your countrymen's footsteps..
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #216
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #217
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 4,970 Times in 385 Posts
America done fucked it gooooood

and i thought this was a discussion, not an argument
V4NC1TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #218
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I get, that job prospects for philosophy majors aren't the same for nursing, or business degrees. I'm there.
Everybody picks on philosophy majors.
Karl Icahn
Carl Icahn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
George Soros
George Soros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Come at me Taylor!
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #219
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Majin you're Greek aren't you? Seem to be following in your countrymen's footsteps..
Posted via RS Mobile
by being overworked and being paid too little?

South Koreans Put In Most Hours - NYTimes.com

look who's number 2.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #220
...in the world.

Just got home. What a silly protest...so many people that don't understand what they're protesting. The place was filled with irony from the girl with the Marc Jacobs bag claiming she can't afford to go to school or the guy talking about income inequality while holding a venti frappuchino.

The best was when the organizers asked if anyone had wi-fi (they mean a phone data plan with tethering...) to help some media folks under the big tree and at least a third of the crowd nodded or put up their hands to volunteer their $30 monthly option.

This simply doesn't work here. I sort of understand in the US where the banking crisis cost people their homes and they can't afford proper medical care but here?
Old 10-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #221
Banned By Establishment

i dont understand why people gotta complain in Canada. We live very good lives here. except it's expensive to live here, thats all.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #222
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

We got everything in Canada.

Thing is, some people in the U.S understand what they're protesting about and they want change, but i bet over 75% are just there for shits and giggles, and say they want change, but they are still spending money here and there.
As mentioned, some of them are holding starbucks, subway, LOL, yet no income?
No shit, you don't know how to save.

Then theres the problem where the government doesnt know how to put their money at the right places.

Eg . ) Building a multi-million dollar projectile that will take down future terrorist attack planes in new york?
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #223
...in the world.

Quote:
i dont understand why people gotta complain in Canada. We live very good lives here. except it's expensive to live here, thats all.
Yep. In general, a large percentage of the crowd did not seem to be experiencing much financial hardship. I saw plenty of $6 coffees, iPhones, and expensive clothes.

They're much the same sort of crowd as the Olympic protestors...people trying to account for their white guilt of being well off and healthy as so many around the world suffer. They claim they want to make a difference but in reality, they just want to feel good about themselves. Loads of hipsters...even more rambling weirdos.

There was an AWESOME sign that said "WE ARE THE NYAN NYAN PERCENT!" that just made my day.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #224
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
Everybody picks on philosophy majors.
Karl Icahn
Carl Icahn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
George Soros
George Soros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Come at me Taylor!

Great comparison

How many people are going to become Karl Icahn's or George Soros'.
How many people can even get into an Ivey like Princeton or competitive school like LSE ?

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #225
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
by being overworked and being paid too little?

South Koreans Put In Most Hours - NYTimes.com

look who's number 2.
So true - Greeks work hard - they just don't like to pay taxes. Too much stuff happening under the table to get around paying taxes.