REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

I have a job. But I am fully in touch with how fucked up this world is right now. The greedy banks fucked everyone over and then they had everyone bail them out. They're still rich while people are broke as fuck living day by day.

The people who are hating on these protesters are entitled fucktards probably growing up on mommy and daddy's dime who haven't had to fend for themselves in their life.
Advertisement
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 22,588 Times in 7,560 Posts
What surprises me most are people who have what they think are 'secure' jobs, and therefore they think none of this applies to them. I don't mean Canadians, as we aren't AS fucked as down south. But I see a lot of people saying really dumb shit in the US about this. They just happen to be the last ones to get raped by how messed up things are, then they'll wish they had joined the 'hippies' in the first place.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #28
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 10,869 Times in 4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpast View Post
A lot of 60-70ish year old guys I know seem to take great pride in the 60s era.
It was an exciting time for sure. A friend of mine nearly convinced me to take off to go see Woodstock. Damn, that would have been an awesome experience.

A lot of shit happened back then. Cold war, Kennedy assassination, hippies, I was going to say protests, but every generation has that........... so I don't know if it is pride or not. Maybe it's just the fact we can say we lived though all that shit and can tell stories about it?

70's, 80's, 90's........... I've see a lot of change over the years, but not sure what defines people of this generation (young people of today).

I still get lost in the music of my era. Beatles, CCR, Jefferson Airplane, acid rock (not heavy metal), Elvis, etc.

I enjoy music of this generation, not so much the remixes of music from other eras, but music sometimes help define a generation. I don't see it - what is this generation about? Maybe the riots and gang shootings generation? LOLOLOLOL

Last edited by MG1; 10-16-2011 at 06:05 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #29
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
What surprises me most are people who have what they think are 'secure' jobs, and therefore they think none of this applies to them. I don't mean Canadians, as we aren't AS fucked as down south. But I see a lot of people saying really dumb shit in the US about this. They just happen to be the last ones to get raped by how messed up things are, then they'll wish they had joined the 'hippies' in the first place.
I think things would be a lot more drastic if there weren't vast amounts of credit holding people up.

Income has artificially been increased by interest laden credit. People feel just fine with a NEGATIVE net worth. They're not feeling the impact, and not considering how enslaved and fucked over they actually are.

I've spent the last year under a rock cleaning up my finances. The reality of things really sank in over the last few years and honestly scared me. Having financial balls and chains prevents me from moving for better work opportunities, furthering my education, or really doing anything of importance other than grinding away for my employer.

I make 2x the average single male income in my area. I can only imagine how easily the average person is trapped in.

I'm sick of people trying to point out so called hypocrisy of some protesters for having iPhones or going to Starbucks. I don't think many people want to collapse all the corporations in the world, and you don't have to be homeless to be pissed off.

Not having a clear message is also not really a problem to me either. It's what makes this work. Anyone upset about the fucked up things the government is doing, or the corporations they are in bed with, can join in.

Clearly things aren't as bad here (not as bad, is that really something to aspire to?), but there are many people that have been affected by their problems. They're our biggest influence and trading partner.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 10-16-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
I wasn't there for Vancouver.

Is it as bad as London?
standing in front of buildings solves things.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,387 Posts
Their are indicators that measure the gap between the wealthy and the poor. In a recent article in The Economist, once the discrepancy hits a certain point, historically it led to a revolt/revolution. We, in the West, have hit that range and we are seeing the beginnings of a revolution with 'peaceful' protest and demonstration but if this gap continues to widen ... more violence will result, guaranteed. Recently, it was noted that the US has one of the biggest gap between the wealthy and the poor in the world. If you've been to certain rural parts of the US it looks like a developing country ... shocking. But it is not strictly speaking, the gap between the rich and poor that people are pissed off about, the gap between the rich and poor is a result of unfair/unjust financial and economic practice.

All of this to say that communism is NOT the answer but a person deserves a chance to get a half decent job that allows him to sustain himself and/or his family, afford a place to live, get basic medical care, have access to education, enough food, and maybe a treat once in a while. On that note, there are words to be said of those who try to live beyond their means and somehow put themselves into unsustainable debt, especially credit card debt. What seems to be at the heart of this is the US banking and financial system which is both receiving bailouts from government (people's taxes) and at the same time screwing the average home owner by calling back the mortgages (causing forfeit and loss of homes). What we are seeing as a whole is the dismal failure of capitalism combined with one fatal human flaw ... greed. When a small % of people get wealthy at the expense of the masses, what we are seeing is bound to happen. It is 17th century France (see Les Miserables) playing itself out again.

Last edited by whitev70r; 10-16-2011 at 09:55 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

"greedy banks" didnt do shit. a couple of greedy people did. the competition which occurs in a free market encouraged it. the government is NOT against the people and yes they did not see this coming, but they also didn cause anything nor are they out there trying to fuck everyone over. 99% of bankers and gvnt employees are good, normal people like you and i, trying to feed their kids.

this protesting bullshit is just that. this isnt a middle eastern country with a dictatorship. everyone knows the situation and the government is tryig its best to fix it for all stakeholders. protesting at this point is horseshit. people are protesting because they love protesting. there are people in this world who have much less with far more corrupt governments that are getting by etter and trying harder to succeed while complaining less, than some of these useless protesters.
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
this protesting bullshit is just that. this isnt a middle eastern country with a dictatorship. everyone knows the situation and the government is tryig its best to fix it for all stakeholders. protesting at this point is horseshit. people are protesting because they love protesting. there are people in this world who have much less with far more corrupt governments that are getting by etter and trying harder to succeed while complaining less, than some of these useless protesters.
Posted via RS Mobile
It's definitely true.

1) how is unemployment attributable exclusively to wall street?
2) how are high corp profits attributable exclusively to wall street?
3) how is income inequality attributable exclusively to wall street?

n) how is X, Y, or Z attributable exclusively to wall street?

ANSWER: it's not, but these people need a villain and the best villain is always that which you do not understand.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 6,597 Times in 3,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
"greedy banks" didnt do shit. a couple of greedy people did. the competition which occurs in a free market encouraged it. the government is NOT against the people and yes they did not see this coming, but they also didn cause anything nor are they out there trying to fuck everyone over. 99% of bankers and gvnt employees are good, normal people like you and i, trying to feed their kids.

th
Posted via RS Mobile
Greedy banks spend huge amounts of money lobbying the government to deregulate the banking industry.

Banks in Canada and America are not the same. In the US banks Charged stores .44 cents when someone used a debit card. In Canada it's less than 10 cents. US changed the law capping it to a maximum or 22 cents.

Bank of America now charges anyone who uses there Debit card a $5 a month fee even if if you only used it once to buy gas for a lawn mower or a pack of gum.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Even though the government officials are a bunch of thiefs and all, i found this funny (from nsfw thread)

Spoiler!
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #36
MG1

#5 and #6
Old 10-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #37
(╯□)╯聽不到 ╮(□╮)

Thanked 11,164 Times in 2,252 Posts
I'm the Nyan Nyan Percent..

Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
MG1

Nyan Nyan Purrrrrr cent
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #39
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
Even though the government officials are a bunch of thiefs and all, i found this funny (from nsfw thread)

Spoiler!

Why aren't they protesting against their retarded university/colleges then?

Those institutions are 10x more crooked, elitist, racist, XXXXXist than Wall Street IMO and just as unregulated.

Everyone knows the next bubble is post secondary education, except 99% of these idiots apparently.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Here's an article outlining why people are upset:

CHARTS: Here's What The Wall Street Protesters Are So Angry About...
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #41
RS controls my life!

I joined in and did the march. I wasn't chanting, just enjoying the surroundings and supporting the idea that we can speak out towards our government in a safe setting. The police were closing the roads and being very respectful of everyone and the protesters were being very respectable of everyone not involved.

I do have issues with the idea behind the protests. The fact that it doesn't have a centralized focus, the numerous contradictions, the hipsterdom... I seen a lot of punk kids there aswell. Punk kids are the biggest contradictions in the world. Fuck all of them that choose not to conform. I seen one that said "More taxes for the rich!" And I realized, this piece of shit doesn't even pay taxes, he probably never worked a day in his life yet he is telling people who do work and pay thousands in taxes already to pay more.

If you think this is bad, then think about your life, your government, your financial situations. There are tons of things wrong with this country and we can't all keep this shit to ourselves anymore. If no one went out to protest then the problems would never get solved. We need to voice our displeasures with social unrest if we want it to change. The problem with this protest is that not everyone is on the same page. There was a protest a week ago infront of the vag about the pickton arrest and why it took so long, that brought great attention to the still ongoing investigation of the pickton murders and the faults that the police had in it. If everyone was going to these protests and saying "Corporations are not people! They do not deserve the same rights as humans! If they fail to control their debts, then let them fail. Let them collapse and let them learn a lesson.

Here's some flicks of the protests. I was getting a bit annoyed by the "we are the 99%" chant though. And for the record, I get taxed maybe 1200 a year. That's enough to fill a pothole. My step father makes 125,000 a year and gets taxed almost half of that. Unfortunately, he does not share.

Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
I think things would be a lot more drastic if there weren't vast amounts of credit holding people up.

Income has artificially been increased by interest laden credit. People feel just fine with a NEGATIVE net worth. They're not feeling the impact, and not considering how enslaved and fucked over they actually are.
I agree with you, yet I hate the word you used: No-one is enslaved to credit. No-one forces people to take credit and spend it. They made poor choices and they should live with the outcome of those choices.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #43
Better safe than Surrey

I was in school for 8 months, full time (30 hours a week), I also worked full time as well (40 hours a week), for a total of 70 hours a week. Managed to get a 91% overall grade while still picking up pay checks.

If I can do it, they can too.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #44
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
hippie = dirty environmentalist types with no jobs. Traditionally, think love and peace make the world go round. Not nearly as extreme nowadays, but still similar lines of thoughts. Bike lane proponents are generally thought of as hippies because people with real jobs and real things to take care of at home can't be bothered to spend the extra time and energy cycling to work. People with real jobs can afford cars.
potheads, slackers are examples of hippies.

Slackers don't give a shit about the environment and potheads.. theres so many kinds that you can't classify them in 1 area.. god damn get it right at least..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #45
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I agree with you, yet I hate the word you used: No-one is enslaved to credit. No-one forces people to take credit and spend it. They made poor choices and they should live with the outcome of those choices.
I concede on that point and agree. It DOES feels like a self inflicted enslavement though, and it's very depressing when you realize that it's all your own fault... and doing anything about it may be mean years of sacrifice if you're lucky enough to not have things crash on your head.

Unfortunately there's a lot of cultural pressure and people that surround you that are happy to convince you to buy beyond your means, or to go to school without a plan or with no consideration of the job market.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 10-16-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #46
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Their are indicators that measure the gap between the wealthy and the poor. In a recent article in The Economist, once the discrepancy hits a certain point, historically it led to a revolt/revolution. We, in the West, have hit that range and we are seeing the beginnings of a revolution with 'peaceful' protest and demonstration but if this gap continues to widen ... more violence will result, guaranteed. Recently, it was noted that the US has one of the biggest gap between the wealthy and the poor in the world. If you've been to certain rural parts of the US it looks like a developing country ... shocking. But it is not strictly speaking, the gap between the rich and poor that people are pissed off about, the gap between the rich and poor is a result of unfair/unjust financial and economic practice.

All of this to say that communism is NOT the answer but a person deserves a chance to get a half decent job that allows him to sustain himself and/or his family, afford a place to live, get basic medical care, have access to education, enough food, and maybe a treat once in a while. On that note, there are words to be said of those who try to live beyond their means and somehow put themselves into unsustainable debt, especially credit card debt. What seems to be at the heart of this is the US banking and financial system which is both receiving bailouts from government (people's taxes) and at the same time screwing the average home owner by calling back the mortgages (causing forfeit and loss of homes). What we are seeing as a whole is the dismal failure of capitalism combined with one fatal human flaw ... greed. When a small % of people get wealthy at the expense of the masses, what we are seeing is bound to happen. It is 17th century France (see Les Miserables) playing itself out again.
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #47
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

if people want to protest, just let them do it. personally i dont really care what the protesters do but just dont mess up my daily life.

i dont like the fact that the corporations are making shit loads of money while im working my average $12/hr job too. but i also understand how hard it is to make money so thats why im getting my education and get a higher paid job in the future.

i rather take my time to work and go to school instead of going to protests which wastes my time that can be used for other productive things. it's not like after you protest and suddenly the bank will give you free money anyways.

just my opinion.
hpw912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #48

y u no share?

tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #49
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
isthisreallife.jpg

My physics teacher skipped school to take part in this today. Wat.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDeeCee View Post
isthisreallife.jpg

My physics teacher skipped school to take part in this today. Wat.
shouldve brought your class along as part of a field trip

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: