REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Occupy Vancouver - What do YOU Think?

For your viewing pleasure:

my response to it - I posted on F*cked up shit what makes you laugh..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
WOW this kid is stupid. WTF!

If I am to judge the entire theme of the protest by this one kid - all of them are idiotic and stupid. But then I'll be exactly like this kid. So I wont judge.

This kid does not understand the fundamentals of capitalism and what made america what it is today. I'm not supporting greed - but at the end of the day, thats how america became the superpower it is.

Even craigslist hookers have a better reason than this guy.

/rant

How I feel about it described in a picture:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...23034735_n.jpg

Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by tiger_handheld; 10-15-2011 at 06:04 PM.
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
making a thread like this you must have a point of view so lets hear it?
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Doesn't bug me one bit. People do what they gotta do. Not going to judge them. As long as they don't cause riots and shit, good for them. I grew up in the 60's man. It's all cool.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
i think they are all hipsters that would rather protest and talk about things than actually do any hard work and get their hands dirty

as i posted in the wall-street thread, Your protesting "the man" yet everyones holding a large starbucks coffee and taking pictures on their iphones
Old 10-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
fuken hipsters....
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I wasn't there for Vancouver.

Is it as bad as London?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
MG1

definition of hipsters............

Some people want to be called a hipster, while others make fun of hipsters. I love this generation. It's more fucked up than I thought.

Remix generation.

Perhaps the first generation to be worse off than previous generation.

Hoping some here can prove me wrong. That this generation does have an identity and............

Last edited by MG1; 10-15-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: changed it a bit to make more sense...........
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
definition of hipsters............

Some people want to be called a hipster, while others make fun of hipsters. I love this generation. It's more fucked up than I thought.

Remix generation.

First generation to be worse off than previous generation.

Hoping some here can prove me wrong. That this generation does have an identity and............
Actually...hipsters hate other hipsters for acting like hipsters

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
MG1

So what is a hipster? The same as the original hipsters of the 40's? Or a hybrid of hipsters and hippies?

This generation calls anyone who is a "nature boy" or an "environmentalist" a hippie. Gawd, hippies were nothing like that. But, I do understand the hipsters not liking some hipsters thing. Some people of my era didn't agree with everything the hippies did. Some people of my era dressed up like hippies, but did not act or believe in the things the hippies stood for.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
hippie = dirty environmentalist types with no jobs. Traditionally, think love and peace make the world go round. Not nearly as extreme nowadays, but still similar lines of thoughts. Bike lane proponents are generally thought of as hippies because people with real jobs and real things to take care of at home can't be bothered to spend the extra time and energy cycling to work. People with real jobs can afford cars.
potheads, slackers are examples of hippies.

hipsters = do dumb things to be indie which is cool.
ie. planking, wearing thick plastic rim glasses with no prescription, riding a fixed gear bike. It's pretty much the latest fad in "being cool by being different", except now it's all the same. Common meme reference is "liking things before it was mainstream".

Yuppies = Name derived from young urban professionals.
Young people with a sense of mainstream style. Usually has jobs, but the type has now trickled down into post-secondary. Yuppie types are the most acceptable among these 3. They usually have some sensibility and end up in this category because it's partly a status class and they play within the system.
Their tastes are sometimes cool, but not always indie tastes, but even if they have things which are indie, they don't flout it. Theses are the ones you will see at starbucks. Usually financially independent.

I hope that clarifies things.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Yuppies = Name derived from young urban professionals.
Young people with a sense of mainstream style. Usually has jobs, but the type has now trickled down into post-secondary. Yuppie types are the most acceptable among these 3. They usually have some sensibility and end up in this category because it's partly a status class and they play within the system.
Their tastes are sometimes cool, but not always indie tastes, but even if they have things which are indie, they don't flout it. Theses are the ones you will see at starbucks. Usually financially independent.

I hope that clarifies things.
Young and Upwardly Mobile (Yuppies) I understand, but this Hipster things is confusing as hell.

Hippies.......... potheads, LOLOLOLOL
Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
MG1

Wear thick plastic rim glasses with no prescription is what elementary grade school kids do nowadays, no?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
revscene regulars = hipsters
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts

Black sweatshirt? Check. Umbrella? Check. Wool cap? Check. Okay, yeah, I have everything I need for a hot, sunny summer day.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
MG1

^so bcrdukes dresses up like that?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
So what is a hipster?
Your son, TOS'd.

Quote:
^so bcrdukes dresses up like that?
Yes, minus the gay pose and umbrella.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
MG1

^I knew he was hip.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Instead of using that fucking MORON in that interview to base your opinion on, and that 'story' someone wrote about how they 'beat the odds and anyone can do it' on the protesting sign, how about look at some cold, hard facts:

CHARTS: Here's What The Wall Street Protesters Are So Angry About...

EDIT: I guess the point of this new thread is that it is actually pretty stupid for people in VANCOUVER to be protesting about these problems, and that's probably the case. But the examples used in the OP do not pertain to Vancouver's protests at all, so I think the link still applies.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
hippie = dirty environmentalist types with no jobs. Traditionally, think love and peace make the world go round. Not nearly as extreme nowadays, but still similar lines of thoughts. Bike lane proponents are generally thought of as hippies because people with real jobs and real things to take care of at home can't be bothered to spend the extra time and energy cycling to work. People with real jobs can afford cars.
That's an interesting statement.

In the house I grew up in our neighbour was an emergency room physician, he was married and had three kids. Now, I'm not sure how you define "real job', but I'm pretty sure ER physician fits into that category. I'm also quite certain that having three kids to raise would fit your definition of having "real things to take care of at home". Given the nice area we lived in and the very nice car he had in his garage, I can say with confidence that had he chosen, he could have afforded to drive.

So, I wonder, why he didn't drive?
I guess it's because riding a bike to work is great exercise and better for the environment, and not being to much of a slacker to get out of a bed a bit earlier each morning enabled him to take advantage of those benefits.

Ps. I'm a proud environmentalist, who has been called a hippy many times, not only do I have impeccable hygiene but also good job with a stable income. I'm also not a slacker, going to school and working while maintaining a high gpa doesn't allow me to be. I do enjoy the occasional toke however, so maybe I fit your concept in one sense.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #20
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
revscene regulars = hipsters
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #21
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
see wut I did thur? I googled a picture captioning the text I wanted to say but then made another post explaining my actions because nobody would get it. I'm sooooo hip.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #22
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Bike lane proponents are generally thought of as hippies because people with real jobs and real things to take care of at home can't be bothered to spend the extra time and energy cycling to work. People with real jobs can afford cars.
Just to add to Mindbomber's post:

I am acquainted with several partners at major Vancouver law firms who cycle to and from work. The other day, I spoke to one while he was cycling away from his downtown office to meet a client at a construction site. I think what he does qualifies as a "real" job? He's also 60ish years old, so he may actually be flattered to be considered a hippie.

He was also a major proponent of the bike lanes. Somehow, I think that his voice resonated rather loudly in the City of Vancouver's office when it came time to make policy regarding bike lanes.

Just food for thought when labeling people. Sure, there probably were a good number of "hippies" with no "real" jobs who advocated for the bike lanes, but you'd be surprised at how many of the proponents were educated, highly-influential Vancouverites who regularly cycle to work, rain or shine.
Halfpast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpast View Post
He's also 60ish years old, so he may actually be flattered to be considered a hippie.
Because when he was young, he was just a wannabe?

closest smilie I could find for hippie

beads........ it's all about the beads. oh, and incense (from Pier 1 Imports, LOL)
Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #24
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Because when he was young, he was just a wannabe?

closest smilie I could find for hippie

beads........ it's all about the beads. oh, and incense (from Pier 1 Imports, LOL)
Haha, that may be! He likes to talk a lot about those "good ole days", so I assume that being considered a hippie is a good thing for him.

Were you ever one of those guys, MG1? A lot of 60-70ish year old guys I know seem to take great pride in the 60s era.

Last edited by Halfpast; 10-16-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Halfpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

wall street fat cats: occupiers
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote