REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #25626
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
so with my recent back injury i've been forced to take it easy for a few weeks which fucking sucks since i was having awesome lifts hunting PRs weekly for the last while.

my physiotherapist said i have a fair amount of unbalance with mobility in my right side (weak side) hips and lower back being quite abit stiffer and weaker which contributed to my back issue.

so i have been doing unilateral leg and hip work and holy fuck i cant believe how weak my right side hamstrings are.

that is in addition to being severely quad dominant. and while i have the strength and power to pull big deadlifts, my anterior pelvit tilt is actually getting worse. something that has been progressing for years has finally caught up to me.

anterior pelvic tilt feels batman.
yeah man I know that feel, been there done that...

Do you have knee pain as well?

After so many years of doing martial arts, i've become so quad dominant that I'd literally have to start from scratch to eliminate all the poor sport-specific mechanics my body has developed. Being a quad dominant guy I've been doing alot of rehab exercises the past 5-6 oddsome months to alter this and so far things have been going smoothly. Kinda been on a highly modified version of linear progression (same idea).

Knee still hurts after each session though, but was able to do 3x4-5 315lb today so it's a pretty good indication that I'm on the right track

If i were u id stop doing deadlifts altogether because it will just emphasize the injury, which is ironic because physios usually recommend deadlifts for treatment LOL.
Advertisement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #25627
J89
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1 View Post
at least I showed a picture, wanna share your skinny ass?
Listen I'm not as nice as everyone on this forum, I don't post in this thread as a regular, but I do workout as apart of my lifestyle, like sir said everyone trains differently and that's how it should be. All of our body responds to different training. You have been training for 6 months? You look like shit for 6 months of training. I would never ever bash someone for looking chubby, skinny or even someone who doesn't makes gains. Especially noobs who have only been working out for 6 months...but you....are you kidding me? You're are on training wheels bro. Your body hasn't even figured out that your putting stress on it yet lol. So don't come in and be an E-trainer lol. And I have posted my 1 year pictures, hell I'm still a noob 2 years in, always learning. but I'm not in here trying to be a troll.
Do your own thing, be your own person and embrace it instead of calling out others.
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #25628
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
again fat ass, I crossfitted earlier during the day. Don't say I'm not working out, look at the amount of so called lifter in this thread that stayed up with me all night. Are u actually saying that I should be in the gym 24/7? lol u are funny, I'm just using an example to say they are more respectable and constructive persons than you guys. Even the other guys are arrogant, their pictures backed up. You being a fat ass doesn't get to say sh*t against me.
I might be a fat ass, but my forearms are bigger than your calves. You mad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3393.jpg (39.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by broken_arrow; 03-26-2013 at 09:19 PM.
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #25629
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
being taller increases rom
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #25630

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
PS, broken arrow, didn't know you played football to such a high level. That is amazing!!
Thanks my friend. I herniated 3 disks and developed bad sciatica before I could step on a field and play a single game as a pro for Hamilton Ti-cats

So yeah, it was a really short experience.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #25631
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Ya athlete that deadlift 500 pounds at 6 foot 2 for the lulz, only on the same level as you. You call that an athlete?
The man made it pro in a sport with some of the greatest athletes in the world. I would say that is a better indication of athleticism than deadlifting lol!
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #25632

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Listen I'm not as nice as everyone on this forum, I don't post in this thread as a regular, but I do workout as apart of my lifestyle, like sir said everyone trains differently and that's how it should be. All of our body responds to different training. You have been training for 6 months? You look like shit for 6 months of training. I would never ever bash someone for looking chubby, skinny or even someone who doesn't makes gains. Especially noobs who have only been working out for 6 months...but you....are you kidding me? You're are on training wheels bro. Your body hasn't even figured out that your putting stress on it yet lol. So don't come in and be an E-trainer lol. And I have posted my 1 year pictures, hell I'm still a noob 2 years in, always learning. but I'm not in here trying to be a troll.
Do your own thing, be your own person and embrace it instead of calling out others.

of course you won't be nice. No one has been nice. Whether I look shit or not, I know what works, I didn't come out as an E-trainer, red sir started bashing on stuff and aggravated it , all I did was offering my opinion. Oh I'm sorry truth hurts again? You guys just like agreeing with everyone else with what they say in their posts huh? Maybe grow a pair of nuts and voice your opinion, haters gonna hate, better to be hated than to be liked.
Btw nice glasses, working out doesn't help you getting out of the glasses and poor facial aesthetics
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #25633
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Damn did I miss the trolls pic?
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #25634
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
points will be given soon
Bmwx1 watch out k
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #25635
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
of course you won't be nice. No one has been nice. Whether I look shit or not, I know what works, I didn't come out as an E-trainer, red sir started bashing on stuff and aggravated it , all I did was offering my opinion. Oh I'm sorry truth hurts again? You guys just like agreeing with everyone else with what they say in their posts huh? Maybe grow a pair of nuts and voice your opinion, haters gonna hate, better to be hated than to be liked.
Btw nice glasses, working out doesn't help you getting out of the glasses and poor facial aesthetics
dude broo... chill
why are you even trying to start shit. supposed to encourage/motivate/inspire others in here, not bitch fight
isn't your max bench 95lbs? lol
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #25636
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
back to normal thread talk and less making fun of each other
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #25637
J89
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Whether I look shit or not, I know what works
Um No...

If you knew wussup you wouldn't look like shit, I'm sorry.

And I don't wear glasses and have never worn glasses don't know crack your smoking. And whether if I'm handsome or not is none of your concern. You should be concerned about the rest of your body, cause it seems you only train your baby calves if that my friend.

EDIT: last post from me Halo
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #25638
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
aw man where why he removed the pic, I wanted to see. No homo.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #25639
Treasure Chest MOD

Lol, just came back after a workout and saw this

i'd like to clear up the misconception about the calves on my behalf...

The thing is that, for the general population, calves are predominantly slow twitch which means they are more resistant to fatigue, but can't generate enough force... Type II fast twitch fibers are stronger and generate more force, but fatigue easier, and for exercises like squats that recruit fast twitch muscles like hams, glutes, hip flexors, quads, they are able to generate alot more force but fatigue easily. That is why strength athletes train with lower reps and place more weight onto the bar...

Calves just react differently to training, and walking simply is just not enough stimulation to target the appropriate muscles in the calves for growth.. If you do steady state cardio jog/run LSD everyday for km after km the calves like to be trained that way... not saying it will get bigger, your calves will definetly be shredded and stronger because it likes to be trained that way, but they won't be bigger.

I definetly know you already know this because you study kin, so the gangbang probably let your anger get the better of you.

And redsir's posts might seem a bit sarcastic to you, but his impressive numbers do the talking.

We all have different goals here: get bigger, get stronger, get faster, lose weight, gain athleticism, etc, etc. Getting stronger does not necessarily mean getting bigger/shredded and vice versa, although clearly it is possible. Let's not bash each others goals because their goal may not be yours.

Regarding the bench press competition, OF the guys that have even posted (yes, I am pressuring you guys to post more vids rather than talk shit, only redsir, me, halo, situation, fcukked, broken, amevip have posted, step up ur game guys) most know what they are doing. Most have been lifting for years, Brokenarrow is a former CFL player, and I have been in a powerlifting meet before and hold the bench press record for my weight class in BC, trumped randy yee's record

It's been a hilarious 3 pages, but lets try to keep it clean and constructive.. last thing i'd want is for my favourite RS thread to turn into a bb.com shitfest

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #25640

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Halo,

If points should be given, then it will be given.

At the end of the day, it's just the internet and a forum, I talk shit or something you don't like, sure everyone turns against me. You guys can stay in your bubble and kissing each other asses. Just remember one day when one of you flips off, then all the other will turn against you except GFitTrain and Instantneedle, who will stay professional and constructive.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #25641
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Hey guys, I've been on and off hitting the gym and trying to get back into it again. I noticed that when you guys bench, you guys have your fleet planted down. I'll alternate between that and having my legs raised and crossed, but for some reason, feel better with my legs raised, am I doing something wrong?

I don't bench as much as you guys 135lbsx20 at my weight of 140.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #25642
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

LOL bmw you're just making an ass of yourself... just stop talking you do you and let us continue to make gainz
Posted via RS Mobile
exdee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #25643
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Hey guys, I've been on and off hitting the gym and trying to get back into it again. I noticed that when you guys bench, you guys have your fleet planted down. I'll alternate between that and having my legs raised and crossed, but for some reason, feel better with my legs raised, am I doing something wrong?

Then post the damn video i wanna see

Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #25644
RS controls my life!

Anybody care to share any free-weight calves exercises?
Looking semi-retarded with thick quads and skinny calves...

My gym is quite small and it has no machines for calves.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #25645

Anyway, back on track...

This week mark the beginning of Sheiko Week 3 for me. Here is my little review of the program:

I will start with Cons:

It is a very 3 dimensional program in a way as you just focus only on bench, squat and pull. Squat days are intense, but Smolov gave you a better feel of accomplishment as you increase the working weight every week. Sheiko on the other hand just keeps it at the same weight (or % of your max) for the duration of the program. Bench press intensity is lacking. I get through bench press with only 30 sec rest in between sets. Deadlift - again, you never get to push yourself as the weight always remains the same.

Now for Pros:

I started adjusting my 1 rms to increase the intensity and it became more fun. So basically during week 1, I made my calculations based on 95% of my 1 rm for all the lifts, for week 2 I used 100% and now I'm going for about 105%. What I am saying is for anyone thinking about doing this program, do not be afraid to experiment with your percentages. The major Pro for me was the addition of assistance exercises. Just like with Smolov, if the day was very lower body intensive, I do not do anything that would put extra stress on my spine. If it was bench focused, I do a lot of pulling exercises.

To be honest, I don't think I will continue with Sheiko after I'm done Week 4. I want to make my own routine that will be something like:

Monday - squat/bench
Tuesday - Ed Coans deadlift routine
Friday - squat variation/bench or push variation...

Another word of advice for anyone thinking of doing Sheiko, invest in a foam roller and a lacrosse/tennis ball! They have been instrumental in my recovery, even more so than stretching.

I'll report back after Week 5 as this is when I get to test for my PRs and see if there were any results from Sheiko...
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #25646
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post

People do that in order to fully isolate their chest. You cannot use the support of your legs or leg drive in general to get the weight up. Personally, I find it uncomfortable, but if you're looking to push heavier weights, keep your feet on the ground.
Fcukedd is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #25647
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Then post the damn video i wanna see
I'll post it once I join a gym out here. I'm working in the Philippines right now and the 35 degree weather is such a turn off to working out. Like I said, I'm looking to getting back to it =)
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #25648
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts

http://www.roguecanada.ca/voodoo-floss-bands.php

I'm going to get a pair of these voodoo wraps. Hopefully it will help with my shoulder problems.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #25649
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
Anyway, back on track...

This week mark the beginning of Sheiko Week 3 for me. Here is my little review of the program:

I will start with Cons:

It is a very 3 dimensional program in a way as you just focus only on bench, squat and pull. Squat days are intense, but Smolov gave you a better feel of accomplishment as you increase the working weight every week. Sheiko on the other hand just keeps it at the same weight (or % of your max) for the duration of the program. Bench press intensity is lacking. I get through bench press with only 30 sec rest in between sets. Deadlift - again, you never get to push yourself as the weight always remains the same.

Now for Pros:

I started adjusting my 1 rms to increase the intensity and it became more fun. So basically during week 1, I made my calculations based on 95% of my 1 rm for all the lifts, for week 2 I used 100% and now I'm going for about 105%. What I am saying is for anyone thinking about doing this program, do not be afraid to experiment with your percentages. The major Pro for me was the addition of assistance exercises. Just like with Smolov, if the day was very lower body intensive, I do not do anything that would put extra stress on my spine. If it was bench focused, I do a lot of pulling exercises.

To be honest, I don't think I will continue with Sheiko after I'm done Week 4. I want to make my own routine that will be something like:

Monday - squat/bench
Tuesday - Ed Coans deadlift routine
Friday - squat variation/bench or push variation...

Another word of advice for anyone thinking of doing Sheiko, invest in a foam roller and a lacrosse/tennis ball! They have been instrumental in my recovery, even more so than stretching.

I'll report back after Week 5 as this is when I get to test for my PRs and see if there were any results from Sheiko...
right on dude! i might give sheiko a try too once I feel that I can fully commit to the program.

+1 to foam rolling/ lacrosse & tennis ball rolling. These are great for releasing muscle fibers and enhancing ROM WITHOUT decreasing strength so don't be afraid to do it before a workout... f' the ppl that say foamrolling before a workout weakens you.

if my own experience is not enough, here is science to back it up
An acute bout of self-myofascial release... [J Strength Cond Res. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

however, i will say that static stretching has not been as effective for me lately.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #25650
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
Anybody care to share any free-weight calves exercises?
Looking semi-retarded with thick quads and skinny calves...

My gym is quite small and it has no machines for calves.
does it have a leg press at least? If yes, then just do it on the leg press

also dumbbell calf raises are less effective, but can still work the muscle if you know how to make the mind muscle connection

sit down, place a dumbbell in between your thighs, and raise you calfs in that position.

Doing it on a smith machine is also good because it locks the movement into position.

This post thanked by: