REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #51
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Real Honour Killings would be killing the guy.
Advertisement
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #52
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
I don't blame religion just because it's religion. A lot of people have done fucked up shit in the name of "science" too. Look at eugenics, which still exists. I drive by a eugenics school in hong kong every time I go to the gym
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #53
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
But then you could argue that a normal critically thinking scientific person would look at eugenics, and determine that it's fucked up, and pursue something else instead. Since they don't need "blind faith"
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
i hate religion in that it splits people together but we're all the same really, we're all humans

but at the same time i know a few people that turned to God and it's like they had this revelation, an epiphany of their entire life.. Not going crazy over the bible and the stories, but they developed some sort of faith that allowed them to be more lively
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #55
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
For this sort of crime, they would be beheaded in an Islamic country, correct? Can't we extradite them to Afghanistan and let them take care of it?
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

insanity causes these things

culture fosters and catalyzes these things

religion gets used as an excuse for these things
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #57
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The greatest shame imaginable is when good and intelligent people allow themselves to pass judgement on an entire segment of society based on the actions of a few, unfortunate and misguided individuals. Recognize that through the Qur'an, Islam, does not preach terrorism or honour killings and that these are simply individuals who have allowed themselves to be manipulated and blinded to the true teachings of an honourable religion. These people do not represent Islam, they represent a sickeningly inaccurate misinterpretation of it.
So,

What's to blame here?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #58
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
I think its so sad that people use religion as an excuse to do these things. I am not a religious person myself, but if i was, I'd definitely be thinking that my god would not want me representing faith in him by sacrificing another or myself. Hell, you shouldn't even need a book or a person to even tell you that it is just plain wrong.
It's not an excuse. It IS the reason.

1. Historically, religion has been the basis of mankind's moral compass. (Even today we chastise women for being sexually liberated - or as liberated as their male counterparts; this even in our supposed very culture forward western society)

2. Religion is the one that dictates the severity of consequence should an individual deviate from their righteous path.

- How many Christian children grow up in an iron rule?
- How many Christian children are indoctrinated and feared into christianity about stories w/ the Devil, Lake of fire, eternal torment by demons

(and can you believe it, that's just the tip of the iceberg - it goes as far as family disownership - honour killings in other religion)
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #59
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Ah, so it must be pure coincidence that only islamic countries do honor killing then.

Of course if you go 'by the letter of the book' it can be interpreted that honor killing = murder. But somehow, people are not interpreting it that way for some reason. For some reason, even though the Qur'an "celebrates the inherent dignity bestowed by God upon all human beings regardless of race, ethnicity, gender or religion", women have less rights than animals in these countries, and people from other ethnicities become slaves, and of course you have people going to jail for being homosexual.
Not sure if your first sentence is sarcasm.

You might not know it, but your fight is actually with customs and culture. I told you before, those two influence a populations religion more than anything..

I can give you an example.. one that I experience and know first hand.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4

Last edited by The7even; 12-23-2011 at 03:40 AM.
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #60
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
So,

What's to blame here?
Well since the answer isn't that simple, why don't we just blame religion instead lol?

Actually, to blame here is human stupidity, culture and customs. Shit that was fucked up and there before any religion was spread to those people.

I can tell you, those will decide what people do with their faith.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #61
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I drive by a eugenics school in hong kong every time I go to the gym
Skinny,I gotta ask.....what the hell is eugenics?
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #62
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Let me google that for you
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #63
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Planned Parenthood's original mission statement. Putting the 'planned' in parenthood.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #64
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
I think its so sad that people use religion as an excuse to do these things. I am not a religious person myself, but if i was, I'd definitely be thinking that my god would not want me representing faith in him by sacrificing another or myself. Hell, you shouldn't even need a book or a person to even tell you that it is just plain wrong.
Sadly that's exactly what Abraham was asked to do to his own son Isaac.

The harsh reality is that people use religion to manipulate others. The common people see religion as true, the wise as false, and the rulers, useful.

Of course, you have idiots completely blinded by faith and do irrational things such as faith healing, child exorcism, picking creationism over evolution, refraining from blood transfusion even in critical situations, you name it. It's not just an excuse, there are people out there who truly believe in the nonsense, just like fortune-tellers, astrology.

Last edited by observer; 12-24-2011 at 08:47 PM.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #65
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia! View Post
Lets remember that this guy hasn't been convicted yet. Sure, he seems guilty as fuck but the case is still in trial.

Laws of Canada aside, could his lawyers successfully argue that any death that occurred happened as a result of his cultural beliefs clashing with the laws of this country and use that to garner a non-guilty verdict?

Its happened before: Muslim girl gang, who kicked Rhea Page in the head yelling 'kill the white slag,' FREED | Mail Online
Headline:
"Girl gang who kicked woman in the head while yelling 'kill the white slag' freed after judge hears 'they weren't used to drinking because they're Muslims'"
What the judge did:
"The four women, who all live in Leicester, were each sentenced to six-month jail terms, suspended for 12 months, at Leicester Crown Court last month.
Hibo Maxamed also received a four-month curfew between 9pm and 6am, while the others were ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.
Judge Brown said that ‘those who knock someone to the floor and kick them in the head can expect to go inside’.
But he said he accepted the women may have felt they were the victims of unreasonable force from Mr Moore as he tried to defend his girlfriend, and handed the defendants a suspended sentence."

Yes, it's happened before. By that I mean ppl reading shit newspapers like they're textbooks. There's already a law called murder. Here's another thing: it's not illegal to lie. And there's a lot of ppl who go out and lie (politicians, ideological nut jobs, etc) to make it on the news. It doesn't mean you have to believe what they say.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #66
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Bumping this old thread with a new piece of news.

Quote:
For months, Bahar Ebrahimi had been rebelling against her parents, complaining their Afghan culture and Muslim religion were suffocating her. “I want to enjoy my life. I want to feel what the other ones feel,” she told them, according to her mother’s statement to police.

It was June, 2010, Grand Prix weekend in downtown Montreal, and on two straight nights the 19-year-old stayed out past dawn against her parents’ wishes.

As her crying husband spoke to Bahar in the basement of their Dorval home, Ms. Kaleki went upstairs and grabbed a large knife from the kitchen counter, the one she used to chop meat, she recounted. “I said, ‘This is the time.’ ”

She hid the knife under her T-shirt, returned to the basement, and told her husband the problem would best be resolved between mother and daughter. “Just leave us alone for five minutes,” she said she told him. “Don’t come until I call you.”

He left and she cuddled her first-born and told her to lie on her stomach so she could give her a back massage. “Then I stab her, stab her neck,” she confessed. “She said, ‘No Mom!’ I said, ‘It’s for your good. Let me finish.’ ”

Earlier in the interrogation, Sgt.-Det. Bertrand has asked whether the knife blade was sharp. “No, it wasn’t,” she replied. “I wish it was. I wanted to give her the peace that she needed.”

Bahar survived the attack, suffering serious knife wounds to her head and shoulder. Ms. Kaleki, 40, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and illegal use of a weapon.

Her husband, alerted by Bahar’s screams, rushed downstairs and grabbed the knife from Ms. Kaleki, the court heard. “I said to my husband, let me finish her.’ ” She tried to choke her daughter, she said, and after Bahar escaped, she chased her upstairs and tried to break down the locked door to the bedroom where she was calling 911.

“I hope she gets well,” she said referring to her daughter. But she did not want her to emerge unscarred.

“She live with that wound,” she continued, pointing to her neck, “she remembers me.” The experience “will make her strong and give her wisdom. . . . It means she will give up her ways of living.”

Afghan-Canadian mother described allegedly stabbing daughter to police | Canada | News | National Post
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #67
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

"I cannot be tolerant of the intolerant." Pretty much sums up my thoughts.
mtnrat is offline   Reply With Quote