REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #201
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
^ very good post, and all very valid points

i think i'm mainly fed up in the fact that such a huge deal is being made of this despite it happening on a daily basis. but as you stated, so do murders, rape, kidnapping, the list goes on. and i know if the kid getting jumped in the video was my friend, brother or son, i'd want special attention paid to his case despite it happening everyday to other people

thanks for your insight
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #202
I don't get it

Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #203
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
does anybody else think this is the stupidest shit on the internet right now? raising awareness? for fucking what? i don't even care what the story is anymore, 7v1, 20v2, 90v3, whatever.
Spoiler!

america has this big movement of anti-bullying (like the recent string of commercials with hollywood actors) and they've had a history of trying to stop racism in the public eye

so this is a major issue for them its 2 pronged and would be picked up by multiple groups to use as an example
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #204
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
^ very good post, and all very valid points

i think i'm mainly fed up in the fact that such a huge deal is being made of this despite it happening on a daily basis. but as you stated, so do murders, rape, kidnapping, the list goes on. and i know if the kid getting jumped in the video was my friend, brother or son, i'd want special attention paid to his case despite it happening everyday to other people

thanks for your insight
Posted via RS Mobile
How can it not be a huge deal? It's not huge because of the rarity of the incident. It's huge because of the severity of the incident.

If this was your typical schoolyard fight like we used to have back in the days; which pretty much amounted to nothing more than an overglorified wrestling match, then yeah... neighborhood scraps like this would probably get little sensationalization. However, this was not anywhere near that.

BTW, Reena Virk died from a gang beating too. Should we shrug that incident as well? Or should we suddenly care because Reena died and Leo did not?

If that's the case, should we care about the Chicago 7 ONLY depending on the outcome? or should we care in general because of the nature of it and what it was capable of?

Last edited by Noir; 01-19-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #205
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
How can it not be a huge deal? It's not huge because of the rarity of the incident. It's huge because of the severity of the incident.

If this was your typical schoolyard fight like we used to have back in the days; which pretty much amounted to nothing more than an overglorified wrestling match, then yeah... neighborhood scraps like this would probably get little sensationalization. However, this was not anywhere near that.

BTW, Reena Virk died from a gang beating too. Should we shrug that incident as well? Or should we suddenly care because Reena died and Leo did not?

If that's the case, should we care about the Chicago 7 ONLY depending on the outcome? or should we care in general because of the nature of it and what it was capable of?
See, that's exactly what i'm getting at. Severity of the incident? What severity? That's EXACTLY what i'm getting at. Remove the camera, remove the viral fame and you get something that is happening everywhere, everyday. There is nothing special or isolated about this incident other than the fact that it was recorded and shared. IMO, that's the one thing that seperates this incident from others, not the severity. He got a few cuts and bruises, that's severe? Go to burnaby north or something on a bad day, as much as it sucks to say, shit like this is common occurence

I'm not saying we shouldnt care. But why are we caring so much about this incident when its such a common occurence? Because leo was "helpless"? Because he didn't speak english? If we're going to care about this one incident, police agencies around the world better be willing to treat all group assault calls with the same swift justice they've dealt leo. but lets be realistic, they wont. Why? Because while you or i may have gotten jumped, it wasn't published on youtube. And as such, there's nothing they can (or sometimes will) do
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #206
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
See, that's exactly what i'm getting at. Severity of the incident? What severity? That's EXACTLY what i'm getting at. Remove the camera, remove the viral fame and you get something that is happening everywhere, everyday. There is nothing special or isolated about this incident other than the fact that it was recorded and shared. IMO, that's the one thing that seperates this incident from others, not the severity. He got a few cuts and bruises, that's severe? Go to burnaby north or something on a bad day, as much as it sucks to say, shit like this is common occurence

I'm not saying we shouldnt care. But why are we caring so much about this incident when its such a common occurence? Because leo was "helpless"? Because he didn't speak english? If we're going to care about this one incident, police agencies around the world better be willing to treat all group assault calls with the same swift justice they've dealt leo. but lets be realistic, they wont. Why? Because while you or i may have gotten jumped, it wasn't published on youtube. And as such, there's nothing they can (or sometimes will) do
Posted via RS Mobile
I agree that stuff like this happens a lot, and the only difference with this case is that the dumbass decided to post it on youtube. Yes that's the only thing that separates it from other situations that are exactly the same as this one. That's probably also the reason that the police were able to get involved and actually arrest the people who jumped that kid, because they have actual evidence. If someone were to get jumped in an alley way with no videos recorded and no witnesses, how would the police be able to do anything if you reported it? Just because it's a common occurrence doesn't make it any better, police should still take action. It's just that they CAN take action in this case because of the video, and possibly also because their reputation is on the line since it's gone viral online.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #207
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
I agree that stuff like this happens a lot, and the only difference with this case is that the dumbass decided to post it on youtube. Yes that's the only thing that separates it from other situations that are exactly the same as this one. That's probably also the reason that the police were able to get involved and actually arrest the people who jumped that kid, because they have actual evidence. If someone were to get jumped in an alley way with no videos recorded and no witnesses, how would the police be able to do anything if you reported it? Just because it's a common occurrence doesn't make it any better, police should still take action. It's just that they CAN take action in this case because of the video, and possibly also because their reputation is on the line since it's gone viral online.
also what i'm getting at. i've heard of far too many firsthand cases where people have been assaulted by a group much greater than our helpless asian companion was. however, one more recent case, upon going to the police with a list of names and schools of attackers, my friend was told he had no proof and therefore there was nothing that could be done. upon explaining to police that he saw security cameras where the attack took place and was sure the attack was caught on at least one of the feeds, he was again told that there was nothing that could be done

which is what i'm getting at. why is leo's case so special? it was caught on camera? so are many other cases. the MAIN reason is that it went viral. the right people spread it out to the right people, and it blew up. secondly, like you said, the police have a reputation to uphold. look at the harsh penalties the attackers were dealt. had there not been video and such a widespread outrage, i can almost promise you the consequences would not have nearly been as harsh
Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #208
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
my friend was told he had no proof and therefore there was nothing that could be done. upon explaining to police that he saw security cameras where the attack took place and was sure the attack was caught on at least one of the feeds, he was again told that there was nothing that could be done
Sorry to hear about your friend's situation. I'm usually a very understanding person, but those cops are just lazy douches. I have zero respect for cops like that. You chose a career path to help people, so do it. They should've at least point your friend in the right direction of telling him what to do next.

I just had a very long debate with my company in a meeting about this security camera topic just yesterday. I was against it 100%, but it's not my choice to make.

The company I work for owns a lot of buildings downtown. And the protocol for my company (and most other security companies, property management companies, or property investment companies) is that they will not release any security footage without a court order. And more often than not, obtaining that court order is more trouble than it's worth. Some sort of legal privacy loophole or some BS.

Basically, you can get jumped in an alley right under a security camera. You can call the cops, contact the building owners, and WATCH THE FOOTAGE OF YOU GETTING ATTACKED WITH THE POLICE, but they still cannot do anything until you have a court order.

Also if you're parking in a parking lot RIGHT UNDER A CAMERA and YOU SEE someone take a baseball bat to your windshield.. You bet your ass you'll need a court order to get that footage.

Ridiculous. But that's our legal system for you. This "privacy loophole" is probably why the cops said there's nothing that can be done.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #209

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
We care so much because we as a society are trying not to become like you; so jaded and de-sensitized to real life violence that you accept it as standard societal norm.

BTW, I think you have delusional view of the Vancouver atm. Maybe it's the shootings thread, but we're far from being an outlaw state or a 3rd country ghetto society where our moral compass is devoid due to pure survival.

Crime happens in Vancouver yes, but what you describe, is not normal happenstance to the point of acceptance.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #210
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
^Actually happens a lot with people that are around the age of the kids in the video here in the GVA. No one said anything about an "an outlaw state or a 3rd country ghetto society where our moral compass is devoid due to pure survival.", that's taking it a bit far. But people get jumped all the time by groups that are a lot worse than the group in this video. Sometimes with weapons as well, it just never gets out there because again there aren't any video or evidence other than rumors. Not everyone sees it first hand, but it's definitely there.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
^Actually happens a lot with people that are around the age of the kids in the video here in the GVA. No one said anything about an "an outlaw state or a 3rd country ghetto society where our moral compass is devoid due to pure survival.", that's taking it a bit far. But people get jumped all the time by groups that are a lot worse than the group in this video. Sometimes with weapons as well, it just never gets out there because again there aren't any video or evidence other than rumors. Not everyone sees it first hand, but it's definitely there.
I must be living under a rock if we're already a society at fear? Like should I expect to be mugged at Metrotown by those wearing gangsters because well... it's standard practice now?

should I expect to be mugged @ Joyce station or Main because well, it's already an accepted phenomenon?

Me thinks its not me who has taken it too far.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #212
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
We care so much because we as a society are trying not to become like you; so jaded and de-sensitized to real life violence that you accept it as standard societal norm.

BTW, I think you have delusional view of the Vancouver atm. Maybe it's the shootings thread, but we're far from being an outlaw state or a 3rd country ghetto society where our moral compass is devoid due to pure survival.

Crime happens in Vancouver yes, but what you describe, is not normal happenstance to the point of acceptance.
unfortunately this is the truth, i am desensitized to violence as a result of some of the things i've seen and heard about. with all these 16 year old "hardcore thugs" running around with nothing better to do, that's what happens to your mindset. and that's the exact description of the 7 guys who jumped that 1 kid. kids with nothing better to do, and feel like they have something to prove

and i'm not saying vancouver is an outlaw state. although with a shooting every other day lately, we're getting there. but i'm not referring to just vancouver. like i said it doesn't matter where you are, kids nowadays have nothing better to do and all feel like they have something to prove. such is the world we live in these days. it's unfortunate, but it's the truth
Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #213
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Any one of those kick/stomps at his head could have killed him. I don't see how it could get any more severe.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote