REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #301
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
seriously the closest youll get is the YMCA. it's probably one of the best gyms i've ever worked out at. The old people actually respect the heavy lifters... the only issue with the one I went to (langara) was the younger crowd.
I was about to consider that YMCA. I've been there once a few years ago and it wasn't too bad, but of course it was only once.

I like how the old people respect the lifters. When you mention the younger crowd, you mean they're obnoxious loud douchebags or they do bicep curls in the squat rack (so improper location/usage of exercises a.k.a lack of respect for others)?
Advertisement
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #302
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
I wish i could just open up my own gym and totally make it like what people would want it to be.

Nice open area with ag least 5 squat racks. Olympic platform area with bumper plates, NO phaggots allowed, and those that are sensitive to heavy deadlifting can gtfo. Dumbbells that go up to 150 lb, tons of plates everywhere so ppl dont have to walk across the gym to get 45lb plate, swimming pool, tan room, sauna room all included.
Posted via RS Mobile
dont forget to add in a few heavy bags
gunz4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #303
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
That still isn't even that good, unless you're talking about the one on Granville.
Posted via RS Mobile
Steve Nash Sports Club is the one on Granville dt. The other ones are Nash Fitness World
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #304
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Steve Nash Sports Club is starting to lower prices now that they losing members to Club 16, $599 + tax for 1 year paid upfront, all clubs/gyms and all class access included. The $99 initiation fee, $19 card fee and $39 annual club enhancement fee are permanently waived. Works out to about $55/56 a month, not bad, if my current gym wasn't free I'd sign up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
That still isn't even that good, unless you're talking about the one on Granville.
Posted via RS Mobile
my membership to the sports club in downtown works out to be about $44/month so thats meh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Steve Nash Sports Club is the one on Granville dt. The other ones are Nash Fitness World
actually there's 3 sports clubs total. downtown (lvl 3), richmond and morgan crossing (lvl 2) and the rest are fitness worlds (lvl 1)
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #305
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
$44 a month for the one on Granville is pretty good. I'm currently paying $29/month for lvl 2
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #306
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseX View Post
my membership to the sports club in downtown works out to be about $44/month so thats meh....

actually there's 3 sports clubs total. downtown (lvl 3), richmond and morgan crossing (lvl 2) and the rest are fitness worlds (lvl 1)
ah, yea this is for the one downtown and includes access to all their chains of other nash/fitness world
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #307
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
kwantlen students get $5 per month for Steve Nash fitness world iirc
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #308
RS controls my life!

As a Kwantlen student....I had no idea about that. Going to bitch out some KSA members today if I see them.

So seeing that this morning, I headed over to the Langley location (close to home). I will never be stepping foot back in that building. I was appalled. Free weights section was crazy tiny, 1 squat rack, ripped/torn pads on most of the benches, outdated equipment, and the place was a mess. Bars, plates, db's etc scattered everywhere. And a lot of the stuff that was 'put away', wasn't even in the right place. Just all shit mixed together. Even at $5/month, I will not be going back. I would rather pay $35/month for my current gym, Laurie's Gym in Langley.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #309
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
^is the $5/month rate only exclusive to kwantlen university?
Posted via RS Mobile
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #310
RS controls my life!

I have no idea. But in order for a Kwantlen to get it, we have to print out a sheet from our registration page as a proof of current student, then go to the student association office, but the membership there and get given a card to fill out which we then take to fitness world where they give us the membership. So, I don't know.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #311
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

sportscentral, has everything you need
vanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #312
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Where in Langley is Laurie's gym? I'm trying to look for a new gym in Langley to start going to, I'm no longer able to get my $10 yr membership anymore at the rec centers so I'm gym searching. I asked them what monthly fee was and they said $60 for a rec center hell no
Posted via RS Mobile
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #313
RS controls my life!

It is at 62nd and 204th. Northwest corner of the intersection of the North side of the overpass.

$35/month. Adult only, 24hour cardlock facility. It's small, but everyone there is super respectful, cleans up after themselves, and is super friendly. If you're not looking for the latest and greatest range in cardio equipment, then I suggest taking a look. It has everything most people need. Personal trainers even train clients there.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #314
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
I'm going to the YMCA near 152nd....it seems like it's super busy all the time though. Anyone go to this place and know when the deadtimes are?
from the 8 years i went there, jam packed from 5pm about 9-9:30 ish. kids get out of school and fill the place up.

just join platinum, its way cheaper and you can go whenever you want and its never excessively busy.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #315
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Anyone know how much sports central or steve nash brentwood cost per month?
I'm considering either of these gyms
wichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #316
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Pay bit more and go brentwood. You can probably haggle for no more than $30 per month, if that's not already more than what it is.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #317
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wichu View Post
Anyone know how much sports central or steve nash brentwood cost per month?
I'm considering either of these gyms
Shitcentral is cheap as hell. Probably 299$ a year if not less. You pay for what you get though.
Posted via RS Mobile
The_Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #318
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePee2 View Post
Thinking of joining club 16 at surrey central when it open.. $14.99 a month.. Anyone want to chime in on their experience with other club 16 facilities ?
Posted via RS Mobile
Unsure if I commented on this before but I work out at the downtown location. Depending on the time you go your experience will vary greatly. In general is pack during the usual peak hours. I generally go workout in the morning when it's empty or at 10am if i'm able to. Otherwise I drop by around 7-8 pm when it's a little more open.

I'll edit more when I get a chance
Posted via RS Mobile
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #319

yeah i heard about the new gym in surrey central thinking about joining there as well
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
from the 8 years i went there, jam packed from 5pm about 9-9:30 ish. kids get out of school and fill the place up.

just join platinum, its way cheaper and you can go whenever you want and its never excessively busy.
I couldnt find a price per month on the platinum website do you know how much it is? That gyms 24hrs?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #321
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,162 Times in 2,400 Posts
So anybody know what's going on with ShitCentral and the basketball/warm up area?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #322
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I work out at the Richmond Olympic Oval. I went through several gyms before deciding to settle with the Oval. Works out perfect since they have badminton and ice hockey. Paying $45 a month, isnt too bad for what other things you can do there.

I started with Watermania, the gym was tiny but awesome to go for a swim after working out. Went to the YMCA, since I went in the evenings it was packed with skinny brown kids who just did bicep curls and walk around trying to look big, just wasnt my crowd. Then the Surrey leisure centre, same deal as Watermania but WAY better gym.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #323
Need to Seek Professional Help

Tried out Steve Nash Brentwood last night because they had a 7day free trial. I didn't like it at all. From the getgo they were pressuring me to signup for a 2 yr contract otherwise "I would be paying double that I should." It is just too predictable with these BS gyms. It pisses me off when I hear shit like "oh i can ask my manager to see if he can extend the deal for a few days just for you" and "it's a gym so u don't really need to try it out, u should know if u like it just by looking at it"
Well after I heard all the BS I worked out there and I didn't like it. It was too dark for me. I also didn't like how open it was, like it was just one big room.
I usually work out at YMCA in surrey as well as the BCIT gym becuase I work in that area so maybe I'm just too used to those kind of environments.

i think the whole cliche of a new and good looking gym really put me off.
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #324
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Looking for a gym buddy that's going to guilford rec. Want to start working out again but need a buddy to work out with. Anyone here?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #325
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Any recommendations on which gym to go to if I'm heading out from the Killarney area? Been considering sport central but open to other ideas as well as long as it's not too expensive. Quality of the equipment isn't a huge factor
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote