REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 AM   #751
I subscribe to Revscene

I've been going to Gold's in bby for a year now. no huge issues with parking. they have an extra lot next door (and the back) and people usually only resort to using it during peak hours. if you are seriously strapped for time, you can atleast pay parking on the side but its cheap. yes there are a lot of juice heads but they keep to themselves and dont bother anyone. whats good about the gym is simply the fact that people come, do their routine, and get out....no chatters, no dudes sitting around staring at their phones (although there are some, but soon get questioned how much sets they got left which gets them moving along), no fuckery basically. The gym's a great place for females as they have their own area upstairs and my wife says its pretty empty up there on most occasions. im on their promo plan from last year paying $25/month with yearly fee of $30 something... overall pretty happy with this gym. .. .dont know what the fees are now though. It does have peak times like every other gym (4-730pm) but nothing compared to the line up of cars to park at steve nash just up the road around the same time.
Advertisement
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #752
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
i dont know who the fuck would even bother with that steve nash location, like adding 20+ minutes to your trip because parking is so bad, thats completely out of the question
Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #753
My homepage has been set to RS

Those 2 powerlifting platforms are sick at goodlife.

I wish my bum knee wasn't an issue. Got to get that checked out when I can.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg2t5waB...-at=1016036058
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #754
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Anytime Fitness in Burnaby has something similar and it's great
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #755
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
We need to update this thread....

Anyone try out planet fitness? This lunk alarm thing seems kinda dumb BUt I’m not a power lifter.

$15 a month is a great deal.

Last edited by Acura604; 06-04-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #756
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
I joined Fitness 2000 by Lougheed Mall, loving it so far.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #757
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
We need to update this thread....

Anyone try out planet fitness? This lunk alarm thing seems kinda dumb BUt I’m not a power lifter.

$15 a month is a great deal.

https://youtu.be/MzZRMnb--RI
Me and the bf are with planet fitness.
Bf is a bodybuilder, only had the lunk alarm set off once.
He drops his weights because he lifts crazy heavy when he does back/chest so he was miffed but to me, yeah he can be drop it loud subconsciously cuz he’s used to working out in an empty non staffed anytime fitness at 2am.

If you’re an average person who isn’t unnecessarily loud/noisy when you work out, it’s rare to get it set off.
I’ve been to the location in the video and I’ve seen a dude in a stringer and he didn’t get the alarm set off and he was also grunting a bit. Newton location is pretty chill, been there during busy times and it never gets set off. I think I’ve only heard it once and only for a few seconds.

My bfs only complaint with planet fitness is the temp inside the gym. He says it’s very warm. Personally I think they keep it warm for the staff since they just stand and the warmth also helps the chubs like me who do cardio. But the cardio machines have fans!!! And you can also use a cardio machine that gets more of a breeze from the ceiling fan.
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #758
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
So I can't wait for my community centre to reopen and even when they do I don't know how they will manage so I've finally decided to go to a bigger gym with 24hr access since the only logical time for me to work out now will be around 5am.

Was going to join good life metro since I have been going there for a year on weekends nights only for about a year and a half ore covid but looks like their new hours are not 24hr as of now so that doesn't work. Going to do a 7 day trial at anytime fitness across the st and see. Fuck I miss the gym so much I can't handle this anymore.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #759

haven't gone back since early March. It definitely feels weird but man, Covid ain't slowing down and gyms are a perfect cestpool.

at the same time, also thinking about f it and just going.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
haven't gone back since early March. It definitely feels weird but man, Covid ain't slowing down and gyms are a perfect cestpool.

Do it. Trust me, it'll make you feel way better. Worth the risk IMHO.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #761

Quote:

Which is why I'm completely shifting my gym routine.

Pre covid I would hit the community centre at 630am when they open, shower then go to work. On the weekends sometimes I'll go to good life at like 1am. The very odd time if able I'll even go after work to a CC.

Now with covid, no showers available I have to switch it up and I only have 3 options.

1. No more going to a gym at all until who knows

2. Go at night after all the kids are asleep and things at home are taken care of so maybe midnight then go work out come home shower maybe be in bed by 2, wake up at 6 then get ready for work.

3. Go to sleep after I put the oldest down so 10 or so, wake up around 430 get ready, gym, home, shower, then work.

Option 3 seems the most sustainable for me. Either option 2 or 3 limits my contact with crowds at the gym and wiping down equipment is easy enough for me.

Last edited by winson604; 07-06-2020 at 12:51 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Do it. Trust me, it'll make you feel way better. Worth the risk IMHO.
Thanks, been really thinking hard about it. There's only so much home exercises and hiking I can do. I have to say though, it's making me realize how much I spent at the gym and not enjoying biking/fishing/hiking as much.

you guys wearing a mask at the gym or nah?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #763
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Club16 took over SN at Brentwood and Richmond (St. Edwards Dr). Guess it's time to make the jump?
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #764

Almost 2 weeks back at the gym, missed it so much.

Just some info out there in case it helps people decide. My 2 choices really came down to Good Life Metrotown or Anytime Fitness but Good Life isn't operating 24hrs right now so that was a deal breaker. In addition with showers closed and a booking system with 1 hr slots made it less appealing for me. Plus i'm not doing anything crazy enough at the gym that I really need to be there.

Opted for Anytime Fitness instead. Yea it's probably the most expensive of the bunch but it's still 24hrs, lots of locations that work for me, 3 in fact that work for me. No reservation system, showers are still operating. The bad side for some is they aren't fancy, there's kind of like 1 of every machine, maybe 2 squat racks which is also the same thing you use to bench. Size of the gyms are usually like a bigger community centre gym and nothing extra, so no saunas, steam rooms, pools, classes etc.

For me, I just need a place to bang weights and do standard exercises, I don't do classes, I don't use the extra stuff so it's fine for me. Even though I'm paying $60 a month it really only works out to like $4 a workout so I mean that's nothing.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:30 PM   #765
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
The good thing about Anytime is they are very clean and they actually buy/update equipment. 24/7 too.

The time to wipe down all contacts points (including stuffs you dont usually wipe down like plates or those clamps things) double the time I usually spend in the gym so haven't been back yet.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #766

Quote:
Thanks, been really thinking hard about it. There's only so much home exercises and hiking I can do. I have to say though, it's making me realize how much I spent at the gym and not enjoying biking/fishing/hiking as much.

you guys wearing a mask at the gym or nah?
Fuck no. I see some people wearing masks, but I'd say the overall majority are not.

I can't exercise with a mask on. You're right about the outdoors though, but you can have a balance of both
Old 07-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #767
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
FYI. The Daily Shit is reporting that a Good Life gym member at the North Road location tested positive for Covid.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/coro...naby-northgate

GoodLife Fitness has reported that a person diagnosed with COVID-19 attended one of their facilities in Metro Vancouver.

In a statement to Daily Hive, Tracy Matthews, vice president of operations, said that the individual spent time at their Burnaby Northgate Club. They occupied the gym over a 12-day period between June 22 and July 3, typically between 7:30 and 10:30 am.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #768
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Not to judge anyone but I think it's crazy to start going to the gym now.

I am not going even with 3 weeks of no local cases here. Good thing too, because now we're seeing a surge in local cases requiring social distancing measures to be enforced once again. Gyms are still open, but I doubt they will be for long.

30 new local cases this week of unknown origin, in a place where people are wearing masks almost all the time. If it can happen here, it damn sure can happen again in Vancouver. Be careful
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #769
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Not to judge anyone but I think it's crazy to start going to the gym now.
You're not the only one to think that.

All the local gym hardware stores are selling out of everything and having a hard time getting items from their suppliers.

Even j-hooks and plate racks are sold out
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #770

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Those damn 2$ per pound weights LOL.
Was debating hard on grabing a pair of bowflex dumbells for 500$...
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #771
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Those damn 2$ per pound weights LOL.
Was debating hard on grabing a pair of bowflex dumbells for 500$...
You'll need luck to be able to pick up the Bowflex 552 SelectTechs. Stock comes in and gets sold out within an hour or two because of hoarders.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #772

Just go to the gym.

Wash your hands, and keep your distance.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #773
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Has anyone been to the club 16 at highgate since COVID?

I'm interested in trying it out, because it seems like a cheap option - but want to hear others' experiences first

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #774
Meow

Been going to Fitness World at Suter Brook in Port Moody. It was formerly Crunch, but there is no time limit, and no appointments, and no line ups. Just need to put up with a bunch of 17-19 year old who work out there. It's like $8 bi-weekly for just one club or I switched to the $20 biweekly and it allows me to bring a guest plus access to all Fitness Worlds.