REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
what do taiwanese think of the mainlanders and hkers btw? always curious to know
Advertisement
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #102
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Just to be clear, the original comments by this professor was more like if HKers can't recognize themselves as Chinese, they are dogs.

Now, on the side note, I think there is something wrong on both sides, but the problem really started with the mainlanders. Chinese say 入境隨俗 (you follow other's culture when you enter their territory). And they should respect how people in other places (this includes Vancouver, HK... everywhere) deal with things in public. Mainlanders shouldn't feel that it's right to do something because they do that back home.

Therefore, if mainlanders are outside of China, follow the local custom. If your kids need to pee/poo, take them to the washroom. If they aren't properly trained yet, get Pampers. It's not very hard and it's the minimum respect one should have.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #103
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
what do taiwanese think of the mainlanders and hkers btw? always curious to know
mainlanders have money but no class, no manners

HK are similar to tws, except hongers speak...well Cantonese lol

usually HK ppl got more money than tws
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #104
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
most taiwanese hates mainland chinese

Teuilabomb : "alot mainlanders have money but most have no class, no manners" +1

Last edited by Bahhbeehhaaaa; 01-23-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #105
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
most taiwanese hates mainland chinese

Teuilabomb : "mainlanders have money but no class, no manners" +1
well from what I know and observe:

hongers = extremely arrogant & cocky, gets pissed off at the smallest things, very sensitive, likes to argue and yell for leisure

mainlanders = very rude, lack of proper manners, lack of respect for the eco-system/environment, always looking for loopholes and an easy way out

Ex. a story that happened to me and a friend when we went to harry rosen at downtown. And to my friend if he is reading this, it was def a moment we got pretty choked about. Basically, we went into the store... My friend saw a jacket he thought he would be interested in, but didn't see a price tag on it, so we decided to ask a sales associate who was standing around and doing nothing. The sales associate gave us a glare, looked at the jacket and blurted out" faive sousans dollassseee" with a rude attitude that seemed like he didn't give a shit or an attitude that made it seem like we didn't have the money to blow on such a jacket. He then turned his back to us in a swift motion and continued doing nothing.

Another incident that happened to me.. Basically, my dad's friend needed a place to stay over during his visit from hong kong. My dad's friend brought a relative with him(a mainlander) and asked my dad if it was ok that they also stay at our house. Being the generous guy he was, my dad offered to let them stay. After moving in that night, the mainlander started criticizing our house " your house is so big, but you don't even bother to renovate it", "you have such a big garden but theres nothing in it", "I'm your guest, why am I staying at the basement?" As the night pressed on, he started drinking, and left beer cans all over the place, went up to our middle floor, went into my grandma's washroom and started taking a shit and shower in there. The next morning, he told us he was fed up with our house, and how he had to sleep at the basement (mind you our house was packed at the time, my dad's friend had a family of 3, and my own family is a family of 4, all the rooms were occupied, and we didn't want to offer him the living room), he left without a word and told my dad's friend that he was going to a hotel. My dad's friend got pretty embarrased, but my dad being the generous guy he was, just let it go.

and to clarify, this only refers to the typical honger/mainlander that their culture reflects on... There are definetly NUMEROUS hongers/mainlanders that do not fit this stereotype. I won't say this is a stereotype as much as it is a cultural classification. They are forced to adapt such attitudes based on the culture/environments they live in.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 01-21-2012 at 04:51 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #106
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ yes is very disrespectful when you have kids from China that just poo and pee everywhere they do and their parents TOLD them it is ok. Later on these ppl yell and scream at pplw ho try to tell them their action is unacceptable and they need to learn what's call WASHROOM.

Also, ppl who decides to come up to HK buy out all the stocks(as in BOXES) back to China leaving ppl in HK with none of that product to buy (remember the incident with the baby milk powders where you see ppl form CHINA buying them in 10+ boxes back to China?).

Also what about those so call moms form China rushing to HK to have their babies born in HK to use allt he benfits from HK without contrubting a penny to the HK society?

Is not just this one incident that causes this. Is a whole ton of other issue put together.

i'm not justifying their action, some of their action is clearly wrong and inconsiderate. mainlander that pee and shit in public and hoard stuff etc are clearly from a different culture than hongers. Their action may not be right but it does not make it ok for honger to be racist. anywhere else in the world being racist towards certain people base on their bank accou8nt and their lack of education is not morally ok, what i have a problem with is hong kong actively promotion such racist and the notion of "us" vesus "them". This chinese proffesor is an asshole but the truth is it started long long time with honger hating on mainlander because they are different.

if that was me on the mtr eating, being that i blend in with other honger the whole sitatution would have been deal with ALOT diffferently.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #107
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I have yet to meet a pretty/hot HK-er girl that is not b*tchy/arrogant. I think this applies to Korean girls as well (disclosure: my exposure to Korean girls were limited to HS encounters)

On the other hand, I have met a lot of pretty, yet extremely down to earth TW girls when I was in undergrad. YMMV...

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #108
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
I have yet to meet a pretty/hot HK-er girl that is not b*tchy/arrogant. I think this applies to Korean girls as well (disclosure: my exposure to Korean girls were limited to HS encounters)

On the other hand, I have met a lot of pretty, yet extremely down to earth TW girls when I was in undergrad. YMMV...
True dat.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #109

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post

oh good, cuz 我愛台妹, 台妹愛我 lololol
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #110
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
well heres what i see as my dads from HK & my mom is from taiwan, i was born in taiwan but at a young age i was expose to china

now i work in china right now & there lot more rich ppl now dun to farm real estate, factory owners & these kind country side things, since i sell wine & cigars i see a lot more of these ppl

are office is guanzhou but we have a showroom in chang-ping dongguan & that alone can tell u the different between mainlanders (its only less then 30min train ride), cuz guanzhou is a city while dongguan is a big town

the ppl i see are rich but then some of them are quite lower class rude ppl, those guy would buy an iphone & show it off but yet they would buy local cheap wine with english on it & they would say its imported from some outside country, then BS the price on it

(the companies exported the wine from china to an outside country then back to china again so they can call it an import)

they also think material things should be legit but not what your drinking or eating,on the contrarily i know a lot of mainlanders are quite nice in a way even though they might be non-mannered in a way but there not trying to be all fake

which is trying to be would they are (unlike some ppl i meet), i met this one guy telling me that he knows more then me about my job when he can't even find france on a map period & theres also this guy ask me once if he can buy a cigar then cut in half so he can share it with his buddy (i laugh on the inside pretty hard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #111
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
^ holly fuck r u tic tac?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #112
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
i think HK ppl view taiwan ppl as equal, they dont look down on them and i think theres some sorta mutual respect going on.

in hk ppl's eyes a tai mei is worth more than a china girl ahaha
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #113
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindragon View Post
as a cantonese person, why the fuck do people care if he is mainland or not. There are plenty of people who do that in hongkong as hongers and canadians. One person does NOT generalize their society
i totally agree. it's stupid to generalize an entire population due the actions of a single person. i remember a video of some drunk middle aged guy from hong kong who started mouthing off a caucasian dude in the train (maybe MTR as well?). does that make every honger an intolerant, racist drunk? NO. stop the hate and judge people based on their individual merits and not some predetermined bias due to their nationality, color, gender, etc...
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post

you're retarded. it's because of biased people like you that we encounter these tensions in the first place
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #115
The Mint of the Breath of Calorie 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
^ holly fuck r u tic tac?
Home paradox joy such as unexpected suspension. Suicide and divine writing to Hong Kong, mates none, or intended to be under third solution gives you participation. A company and matrimonial gives two worlds mainlander non horizon China says.

And standard of repeating the immigration if ethnic, is 50%. Repeat for the first time on Monday, Beijing interpretation, the experience of the death of the dignity function is correct, broke the right way.

However, not many of the China of the chest, directly or as a result of a number, the correct diagnosis, or invasive.
Tic Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
you're retarded. it's because of biased people like you that we encounter these tensions in the first place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann View Post
God damn there's a lot of stereotype going on In here

Every culture n every race there's someone who's either rude or obnoxious

This video actually widens the gap between them
We need more people like you guys. The amount of stereotype and bias in this thread is unbelievable. There are rude/obnoxious/snobby/inconsiderate people in every culture. For those who think all Hongers and Mainlanders have those characteristics, you're just as bad as all those Hongers/Mainlanders who hate each other.

That university professor in the video was definitely annoying, but so was the Honger guy who stirred sh!t on the MTR if you actually saw the original incident video to which that professor was reacting to and venting about (posted by TRD Rs200 on page 2).

Last edited by kuri; 01-21-2012 at 10:39 PM.
kuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #117
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone in a customer service job get a smart ass comment from a mainlander when you tell them you speak Cantonese and not Mandarin?

I fucken want to punch these fuckers in the face so bad.

BTW Recently rich mainlanders are the equivalent to the term "Nigger Rich". Look it up if you dont know.

Also I would like to state I hate all people equally, including my own people.
westcoastgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #118
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgsr View Post
Anyone in a customer service job get a smart ass comment from a mainlander when you tell them you speak Cantonese and not Mandarin?
Just speak English to them. Better yet, refer them to a nationalistic Taiwanese coworker.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #119
I bringith the lowerballerith

The proper term is "hood rich".
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #120
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,466 Times in 190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastgsr View Post
Just say you only speak English, most of the time they have an 'oh shit' face.
Posted via RS Mobile
FRStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #121
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I speak Eng, Cant, and Mandarin fluently. (Perks of learning all 3 at the same time during childhood).

When I worked for customer service a long time ago (face-to-face, not call centre), people would think I only speak English, so they would mumble something like this in Chinese:

"Fucking asian comes to Canada and can't even speak his own language and talk to us normally"

Why yes, suddenly I'm supposed to talk to them in Vancouver's "official language" - Chinese. You should have seen their faces when I started speaking to them in Mandarin/Cantonese.

Just trying to make a point that both HK and Mainlanders have said the same shit. I've met my fair share of well educated/shitty Hongers and Mainlanders. Can't really stereotype, you get well educated/shitty people from both sides equally.

P.S. - Don't know if this was mentioned but that Peking Prof claims that he never said HK people were "dogs".

$œ‹•––žš$”…東›ž‡‰€œ™港人˜ ‹—€€–šˆ‘’說 - Chinese Article

Google Translate - Google Translate
davidw1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #122
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Interesting that it's the opposite when you're in southern china. When I go with my wife, we can only communicate in canto. A lot of locals still speak it there, and it seems like they are more than happy to speak it with others. Not just in stores or whatever, but everywhere.
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #123

I've got no doubt China will show us the true way to deal with these tensions because they are "56 ethnic groups living in peace and harmony" after all. The amateur hour you're seeing must be an anomaly...
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #124
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
我白,大声笑了出来,在此主题
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #125
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw1234 View Post
I speak Eng, Cant, and Mandarin fluently. (Perks of learning all 3 at the same time during childhood).

When I worked for customer service a long time ago (face-to-face, not call centre), people would think I only speak English, so they would mumble something like this in Chinese:

"Fucking asian comes to Canada and can't even speak his own language and talk to us normally"

Why yes, suddenly I'm supposed to talk to them in Vancouver's "official language" - Chinese. You should have seen their faces when I started speaking to them in Mandarin/Cantonese.

Just trying to make a point that both HK and Mainlanders have said the same shit. I've met my fair share of well educated/shitty Hongers and Mainlanders. Can't really stereotype, you get well educated/shitty people from both sides equally.

P.S. - Don't know if this was mentioned but that Peking Prof claims that he never said HK people were "dogs".

$國評論新聞:$慶東回應“香港人 狗”言論:我沒說 - Chinese Article

Google Translate - Google Translate
I feel you bro. I also worked in customer service not too long ago, and experienced alot of this "chinese-is-the-official-language-of-vancouver" nonsense. Alot of times I would get customers that would come up to me and start speaking mandarin to me just because I looked asian. The moment I start speaking english to them they just give me this blank/dumbfoundead expression sorta like this and then just walk away. And this is not just with a few customers, I've had MANY chinese customers do this to me.

This post thanked by: