REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #126
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
neither of you guys were there, so continually arguing about who's assumptions are closer to reality is really pointless, no?
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #127
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
So you are using the media reports to support your argument?
this is all we have to go on unless you have some sort of psychic powers? ... you're really nit picking here and driving away from the point of the k9 shredding a guys leg and using whatever information we the public have to come to our conclusions..

Quote:
The ones you just quoted to say..."few blocks down the street"....yet you say you never said the Police were not out of sight? Are you saying they now have Superman vision that can see "blocks down the street"?
<< maybe you're blind but i can see a far distance in a straight line you want to argue what "out of sight" can be? really?

Quote:
The report that found the Police were not at fault put them at 10m away....the length of the average tracking leash. You can't have it both ways. "whack"
was the OPCC report released? and again this point here of speaking of the length of the tracking leash will open up a whole slew of other arguments and speculation but it doesnt change the concern that the officer needlessly let his dog loose on a suspect a suspect who for all we know was merely a citizen fitting the description of a vandal (again i'll repeat we don't know if the officer witnessed the vandalism and there are no indications that he did and some to the contrary)

just admit you probably misunderstood and blew your top like 7seven did Or, As i've said, I could have been unclear
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #128
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

StylinRed, stop using the skater's account as a factual evidence. The kid can easily make biased information or straight-up lies.

But really, I am sick of the try hard thug-wannabes with their 'rebellious' "fuck the police or fight the power" attitudes. When the law comes down on them, they proceed to suck on their thumbs and cry foul and act like a hapless victim.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #129
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Damn, I guess I should watch my mouth.. Probably gonna get shot next time I do something stupid.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #130
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

just admit you probably misunderstood and blew your top like 7seven did
Oh I didn't misunderstand or "blew my top", I think most on this site would actually know me as one of the more clam/rational members here. I like many others here just got tired of seeing you post one sided conclusions/statements based on a vague statement by Mr. Evans/PIVOT side of the events. I just posted another possible conclusion one can deduce from that same exact Evans/PIVOT statement.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #131
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Oh I didn't misunderstand
if you did you would have noted the times i said "assume" & "based on whats known" & where i conceded it may turn out to be completely different but you took my comments like i was presenting them as facts
Quote:
or "blew my top", I think most on this site would actually know me as one of the more clam/rational members here.
ive known ye since celicagrage days and i agree thats why i categorized it under "blew my top" because its very unlike you :P

Quote:
I like many others here just got tired of seeing you post one sided conclusions/statements based on a vague statement by Mr. Evans/PIVOT side of the events.
based on what info we had at the time; you just didnt like it

Quote:
I just posted another possible conclusion one can deduce from that same exact Evans/PIVOT statement.
not really but sure :P
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #132
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I think most on this site would actually know me as one of the more clam/rational members here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #133
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

According to vpd twitter they will be having a press conference at 1030 today addressing their policy, training and the civil suit.
Posted via RS Mobile
lungfish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #134
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lungfish23 View Post
According to vpd twitter they will be having a press conference at 1030 today addressing their policy, training and the civil suit.
Posted via RS Mobile
VPD press conference and statement
VPD Police Dog Training and Policy | Vancouver Police Department

Quote:
Deputy Chief Constable Adam Palmer
Remarks

Good morning and thank you for coming.

It is normally our practice in civil suits to not speak publicly about the details of the case until it has concluded its court process.

The standard line I’m sure you have all heard and quoted many times is that we will not be discussing it further since the matter is before the courts.

We have been criticized for taking that position. There are those in the media who argue that it is unnecessary and that we simply use the phrase to avoid commenting. There are also those who argue that we should answer those publicly who make allegations against us publicly.

We hear you and we have decided to judge each case in the future accordingly.

In the recent case of a man who has decided to sue the city after being arrested and bitten by a police dog, we have decided to provide the public with more information on this matter.

You are all aware of Mr. Evan’s statement of claim.

In the interest of balance, here are the facts listed in the police report:
  • On June 12, 2011, at approximately 00:45 hours, Mr. Evans intentionally repeatedly smashed the passenger door window of a transit bus.
  • This occurred in the 1400 block of East Hastings.
  • Mr. Evans used his skateboard to smash the bus window.
  • VPD members, including Dog Master Rich Lee. responded to the mischief call.
  • Constable Lee observed Mr. Evans, who matched the suspect description, run westbound in the south lane of East Hastings.
  • The suspect was alone, and still carrying his skateboard.
  • Constable Lee had his siren and emergency lights activated as he entered the lane. Constable Lee turned off his siren but kept his emergency lights on. He then exited his vehicle and yelled, “Vancouver Police — stop or I will send my dog.”
  • Mr. Evan’s continued to run, and Constable Lee deployed his dog.
  • The dog made contact with Mr. Evans. Mr. Evans struggled and as a result the dog had to re-apply its bite three times.
  • The dog application lasted briefly before Constable Lee could gain control of Mr. Evans.
  • Mr. Evans was handcuffed and arrested for mischief.
  • He was transported to VGH where he was treated for his injuries.
  • Mr. Evans required medical attention to close the wound to his leg.
  • Mr. Evans was issued a Promise to Appear at the hospital for mischief Under $5000.
  • Crown eventual stayed the mischief charge.

To further help you understand the role the police dog plays in law enforcement, we have two reports that we promised you earlier and are now in a position to share with you.

We understand that the actions we are taking today may seem controversial to some and troublesome to those who might prefer we remain silent.

But in many ways, as we come before you today, we share a common goal –seeking and speaking the truth.
Transit surveillance footage of Evans on youtube from news1130, for those that don't want to watch the entire press conference link above

around the 23:00 mark in this link for zoomed in version of transit surveillance footage Skateboarder apprehended by Police Dog updateon Vancouver Police - live streaming video powered by Livestream

Other comments made by Deputy Chief Constable Adam Palmer during presser:
-Officer Lee had Mr. Evans' in custody within under a minute
-on Mr. Evans' claim he had headphones in, Palmer didn't know if he did or not but commented that Officer Lee pulled into the dark lane with his vehicle lights and sirens on, sirens turned off but even if subject had headphones in would've seen police lights in dark alley.

After hearing the VPDs side and their incident report, personally I'm skeptical of Mr. Evans' claim that he did not know officers were behind him, you would have to be pretty deaf or really have volume cranked up really high not to hear a siren directly behind you, and you would surely be able to see the the blue/red lights lighting up the alley even if you couldn't hear, but Mr. Evans kept running.

After viewing the transit footage, it does not appear he just took a swing at the bus out of frustration, that looked like pretty malicious intent to do harm and damage. Now I do agree the result of his injuries were pretty severe for his crime but it is of my opinion that he was fleeing and didn't want to be caught for his crime, again this is just my opinion. Struggling with the police dog just made his injuries worst, yes I know its not easy to remain calm when a dog is biting you (I have been bit by a military service dog in training exercises), but it is possible and to stop struggling which will in most cases cause the dog and handler to release.

Could the officer handled the arrest in another method? Absolutely, however it was his judgement call on site and it would appear that all proper protocol and procedures were followed.

Last edited by 7seven; 01-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #135
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
With that said, the guys a retard as he would have seen the lights. Very questionable that a dog was required but can't fault the officer for following procedure.
Posted via RS Mobile
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #136
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
And now ....the rest of the story...Glad VPD decided to squash this with the facts of what really happened. And Pivot is saying..................................?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #137
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
The Sun has the bus video:

Vancouver police fight back over police dog bite lawsuit (video)

The guy is a tard, he hits the bus several times. Hopefully the keyboard warriors supporting this thug change their tune after seeing the video.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #138
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
The 33-year-old hopped on his skateboard and headed home along East Hastings Street, only realized he was being pursued by police when a German shepherd sank its teeth into his right calf.
OR SO HE CLAIMS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
OR SO HE CLAIMS.
Quote:
Headphones in his ears, Evans fell to ground with the dog tearing at his right calf and thigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I don't know the details of police dog training, but it seems to me NOT instantly shredding a suspect would be a big part of it. How much you wanna bet this guy was beating the dog with his skateboard?

Common sense just screams that the "headphones" excuse as a reason why he wasn't complying immediately is so sketch to the core.

Who skateboards down a busy stretch of pavement with music blasting loud enough that you're oblivious to your environment. What if it was a car horn honking you from behind? What if it was a cyclist ringing you from behind? Do you not notice all the people you pass looking with bewilderment at you and the dog & cop chasing you?

It's quite amusing and sad at the same time when you see people just eating all the media spin up as fact without applying their own common sense into it. Unless he's a complete moron (which I doubt his ego will allow him to admit if he were) there's no way he was realistically unaware of his progressing situation at the time of the incident.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #139
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
StylinRed, stop using the skater's account as a factual evidence. The kid can easily make biased information or straight-up lies.

But really, I am sick of the try hard thug-wannabes with their 'rebellious' "fuck the police or fight the power" attitudes. When the law comes down on them, they proceed to suck on their thumbs and cry foul and act like a hapless victim.
+1.

After watching the video, I'm always happy to see tough guy wannabe's with the "don't fuck with me" attitude get humbled.

I welcome the fails but Evans totally fucking deserves ALL his injuries. The only thing that sucks... is that Vancouver is full of those "don't fuck with me" assholes.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #140
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,820 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
And Pivot is saying..................................?
i'd actually be interested in hearing their response to this...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
+1.

After watching the video, I'm always happy to see tough guy wannabe's with the "don't fuck with me" attitude get humbled.

I welcome the fails but Evans totally fucking deserves ALL his injuries. The only thing that sucks... is that Vancouver is full of those "don't fuck with me" assholes.
The man's a 33 year-old 'sk8er boi', I'd be more surprised if he didn't have that attitude
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #142
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
This fucktard should be thankful he didn't win the Darwin award. Let's repeatedly smash on the bus window in public and stick around for good minutes. Then when an officer of the law with sirens and lights say stop or he would send the dog, this monkey keep running away.

Add your meme:
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #143
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i'd actually be interested in hearing their response to this...

Probably the same deafening silence we heard out of them after the VPD shooting splashed back at them.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #144
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
oh after watching the video, that's pure karma for what he did

i get angry but i don't become an idiot and do that type of shit, all of his injuries he deserves

at first i thought he smashed just a store window and ran away, didn't read carefully

you do stupid shit, it comes around to bite you
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #145

Cameras don't lie
Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #146
SardaukarMod

To start off, let me be clear that I'm not on this idiot skater's side (I'd be the last person). But to play devil's advocate a bit, the Translink security video I saw only shows what we already know; that this idiot smashed a bus window. It doesn't show what is in dispute (ie: the following arrest made by the PSD and dog handler). It's a he said/she said issue right now. But, based on what we've seen, I'm sure a majority of people would choose to side with the police just based on the skater's prior actions.
Posted via RS Mobile
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #147
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
I feed bad for the people who were on the bus, they were all probably shitting their pants thinking some crazy guy was trying to smash his way onto to bus, potentially harming them.

If the dog tearing apart this guy's leg was excessive, I don't know.

What I DO know, is that I definately don't feel bad for him at all anymore.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #148
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
you do stupid shit, it comes around to bite you
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #149
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,693 Posts
An example of karma coming back to bite you, literally.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #150
I am grateful grapefruit

According the original article - he claims that 3 buses drove past him. I don't know where he was standing if they drove past him, because this bus was definitely stopped at the bus stop. If he is lying about this, I wouldn't be surprised if he's lying about other details.