REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #101
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
So how friendly would they be if you wern't white and didn't speak the langauge.
I had 2 German girlfriends at the same time when I lived in Berlin for a year. I'm Chinese. I hope I answered your question.
Advertisement
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #102
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
So what they're saying is that if you're still living at home and going to school you shouldn't be buying a brand new cummins?

Damn, guess it's time to prove some people wrong.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #103
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
I had 2 German girlfriends at the same time when I lived in Berlin for a year. I'm Chinese. I hope I answered your question.
Being Canadian I know that German and Austrian culture is very racist. Not referencing the Holocaust, but it is very common for open hate towards Blacks.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #104
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

How well do you speak German? Then again German girls are somewhat close to north american girls attitude wise so that isn't what i'd be looking for.
Quote:
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #105

Well if your black that makes you the perfect target for teenagers to rebel with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Being Canadian I know that German and Austrian culture is very racist. Not referencing the Holocaust, but it is very common for open hate towards Blacks.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #106
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Russian broads are where it's at
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #107
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
How does being Canadian make you an expert on German culture? You list Linz as your location, but you also mention that you're starting work in April. Have you actually worked/lived in Austria or Germany?

I live here, and I can tell you it's not a racist culture. A bit protectionist, but racist? No.

I work with an Italian, a Tunisian, a Slovak, an Australian, a few French and everyone gets along great. I've traveled through all the big German cities as well as Austria and it is very multicultural. There is more "Racism" within the Germans themselves from Tyrol/Southern Bavarian areas of Germany/Austria Vs. the North (Berlin/Hamburg etc.) than there is between actual races from what I've experienced. People here where I live don't even call themselves German, they call themselves Bavarian. Go to Austrian Tyrol, and ask them if they are Austrian. %75 of them will say they are Tyrolian.

Quote:
How well do you speak German? Then again German girls are somewhat close to north american girls attitude wise so that isn't what i'd be looking for.
German girls are the farthest thing from North American girls. You have no idea what you're talking about.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #108
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,561 Times in 1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
How does being Canadian make you an expert on German culture? You list Linz as your location, but you also mention that you're starting work in April. Have you actually worked/lived in Austria or Germany?

I live here, and I can tell you it's not a racist culture. A bit protectionist, but racist? No.

I work with an Italian, a Tunisian, a Slovak, an Australian, a few French and everyone gets along great. I've traveled through all the big German cities as well as Austria and it is very multicultural. There is more "Racism" within the Germans themselves from Tyrol/Southern Bavarian areas of Germany/Austria Vs. the North (Berlin/Hamburg etc.) than there is between actual races from what I've experienced. People here where I live don't even call themselves German, they call themselves Bavarian. Go to Austrian Tyrol, and ask them if they are Austrian. %75 of them will say they are Tyrolian.

German girls are the farthest thing from North American girls. You have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL, are you black? If not, how the hell would you know?

mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #109
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I can take footage from any country, any race, and claim they are racist by posting up some footage. One example is an exception, not a rule. I'm German, and I can tell you there is far more racism going on in the Lower Mainland (hell, even on Revscene) than you'll see in Germany.

Sure, there are racist people in Germany. Just as there are racist Chinese in Canada. Just as there are racist African Americans in the USA. Just as there are racist white people France. It doesn't mean the country as a whole is racist.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #110
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
My German at its best was at a conversational level. I wouldn't feel comfortable working with it though. Like Falcon said, German girls are VERY different from North American girls in many ways. First thing comes to mind is their open mindedness about meeting new people. They are polite and friendly and I rarely ever felt snobbed out.

An example of their open mindedness is that most Germans, or Europeans, often speak more than 2 languages. It shows they want to learn about other cultures. It was amazing watching my friends switch from one language to another by the mere reference of a German street or a French pastry.

Quote:
Germans have come a long way since WW2. In school, children as young as 7 are taught that their ancestors are responsible for the deaths of 3.3 million Jewish people. Then, they continue to learn the history of WW2 for 7 more years. I don't know about you but I took socials studies 11 completion class during the summer and the WW2 topic was 2 days. The Germans, although think the redundancy of WW2 history is a little excessive, believe it's necessary to learn about what they did so it will never happen again. Hitler was believed to be the single biggest embarrassment in their history.

Many government buildings in Berlin are built with a lot of glass. It is a symbol to the public that they are transparent and have nothing to hide. In school Germans are also taught to question and criticize everything.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #111
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Well if your black that makes you the perfect target for teenagers to rebel with.
Being Chinese, I can't say I didn't recieve zero racism when I lived in Europe. I mean I heard some kids walk by and yell out "ching chang ling long" at me while I was having lunch on the patio of a Chinese restaurant with my German girlfriend at the time.

There will always be punks like that. In fact, every May Neo Nazis march through Eastern Berlin. Then there is the opposite extreme, the Anarchists who protest and try to block them. Every year it turns into a fight and the police step in and it becomes a free for all. It's quite the sight! Think Stanley Cup riot but it's even on both sides and the police are ready with their riot gear.

Just because of a few bad apples you can't generalize Germans as a whole for being racist. I was treated with some of the best hospitality and generosity one can imagine. During Christmas my international school friends, from all over Europe, returned home because it was convenient to do so. I stayed in Berlin. A German friend, who I met on the internet a few months before I left from Vancouver, invited me to spend it with her and her family.

There are racist people everywhere, especially in small towns, but I would say they are in a minority in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post

Yeah I had 2 friends from South Tyrol. They speak Italian and German. Nicest guys I know who each had me over for dinner. The best pasta I had in my life was with them! One made spaghetti carbonara and the other tagliatelle e funghi. It was mind blowing how good they were. I tell one of them how I make pasta at home, with carrots, chicken, brocolli, bell peppers, tomatoes etc. like how Chinese people make it and he spazzed out at me! lol Apprently, pasta sauces are suppose to be simple.

I don't think those ethnic cliques Tyrolian and Bavarian are necessarily racist. They are just overly proud of where they're from. Just like how most Vancouverites think they're better than Torontoians?

I also had Spanish friends who say they're not Spanish but Catalunian and Catalunya is a region in Spain.

Last edited by Shades; 02-18-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #112

I had this Mexican friend that I used to study with in Steyr, Austria, and remember on two occasions when they wouldn't let him through the front door of a night club. Reason being is that some locations in Austria only allow whites.

This may not be the same for Germany however, as I've only been there a few times.

Falcon what do you do in Germany?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
No, I'm white and have German ancestry. But that doesn't effect my eyes, ears or my perception of things going on around me.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #114

Eastwood, I ski bum.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #115

Kind of ironic I'm reading "the deliberate dumbing down of america" talking about the failure of the american education system. The transparency is key, they stress that the kids of the ceos never set foot in a classroom with computers "skinner box" and that they are taught to think outside the box and critical thinking is key.
Quote:
Many government buildings in Berlin are built with a lot of glass. It is a symbol to the public that they are transparent and have nothing to hide. In school Germans are also taught to question and criticize everything.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #116
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Kind of ironic I'm reading "the deliberate dumbing down of america" talking about the failure of the american education system. The transparency is key, they stress that the kids of the ceos never set foot in a classroom with computers "skinner box" and that they are taught to think outside the box and critical thinking is key.

I believe you have misunderstood what I said.

I was in no way "dumbing down" the American education system. In fact, I think it's superior to most European schools, other than Cambridge and Oxford of course but that's another topic.

I was simply recounting what I learned from the German people and trying to show that learning about WW2 is something entirely special for them compared to any other country. You know how some of us display our flags proudly outside our homes? Well, since the war, if any Germans did that they would be labelled as Nazis. They were not proud of their nation. How could one be when learning that your ancestors were responsible for genocide and the whole world condemned your country?

It wasn't until 2006 when Germany hosted the World Cup when people started being patriotic. Turkish people celebrating with Germans, young with old and everybody having a jolly good time. Football is one of those few occasions that really bring people together.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #117
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
I had this Mexican friend that I used to study with in Steyr, Austria, and remember on two occasions when they wouldn't let him through the front door of a night club. Reason being is that some locations in Austria only allow whites.
Ever tried getting into some of the nightclubs in Sweden?

Even if you are white,you may not get in,they only let good looking people inside.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #118
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Ever tried getting into some of the nightclubs in Sweden?

Even if you are white,you may not get in,they only let good looking people inside.
Clubs and bars are privately owned businesses that cater to certain groups of people, in no way are they a representation of the general populous of a country. The situations brought up in this discussion do not necessarily mean the staff or owners of that business are racist either. They are in business to make money and satisfy a customer base. People are way too sensitive to this shit and are always quick to throw the race card because it's an easy cop out. Sorry to say it, but especially if they're NOT white. Don't like it? Go somewhere else to get a beer or own your own club and let in whoever you do or don't want.

What does all this have to do with the OP again?
Posted via RS Mobile
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #119
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I think its a legit question. When I think, "where in the world is there the most racial harmony?", Europe doesn't jump to mind...
places where there is racial homogeneity
WakeMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #120
Banned By Establishment

Bring back the jobs and stop the bleeding by outsourcing to China. What happened to the jobs? A good number of them went to China.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #121

You do have a clue as part of UN agenda 21 the jobs are being regulated out of the country on purpose by the gov controlled agencies? If not u have alot of reading to do.
I suggest starting with "behind the green mask"
Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #122

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Idk where to put this. But here we go.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronith View Post
Bring back the jobs and stop the bleeding by outsourcing to China. What happened to the jobs? A good number of them went to China.
The only jobs that are really outsourced to places like China and India are telemarketing positions in which North American's don't want anyway.

Instead of imposing trade quotas and tariffs it would be more beneficial for our government to invest in manufacturing in Canada to be competitive with other countries.

That said we can never match China in terms of low cost goods, but can we in quality.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #124
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
or by sheer weight.. impose a carbon tax on consumer goods.

Quote:
That said we can never match China in terms of low cost goods, but can we in quality.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #125

Quote:
The only jobs that are really outsourced to places like China and India are telemarketing positions in which North American's don't want anyway.

Instead of imposing trade quotas and tariffs it would be more beneficial for our government to invest in manufacturing in Canada to be competitive with other countries.

tons of engineering jobs, software, hardware, etc that evrryone sants and needs are being outsourced too
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote