REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
look at these diamonds, they shining
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,800
Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
question for skinny:

how come youre living in HK? if youre working for yourself and all... cuz of the wifey or what?
Advertisement
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,370
Thanked 87 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Hmm. $1200 CAD/mo for a 2br? People keep telling me it's almost impossible to afford to live in HK, but that doesn't seem bad at all. Cheaper than Vancouver anyway.
From my perspective, Ap Lei Chau is not the most convenient location as there are no MTR stations nearby. It's in the southern part of Hong Kong Island which is accessible via mini-bus / bus. The bus ride to Aberdeen (very close to Ap Lei Chau) from West Kowloon takes over an hour long. Nonetheless, it is convenient and definitely a viable option if you work in Central / Wan Chai etc.

In comparison, my friend located in Prince Edward (Near Mong Kok) is in a 300sq-ft 1 bedroom flat in an older building, next to an hourly motel, and rent costs ~$6000 because of its convenience near MTR station.

Other friend who rents a 120 sq-ft 1 bedroom flat in TST pays around $4000.
__________________
(604) Black 2008 Acura TL Type-S, 09/07 - 09/11
(604) Black 2010 Acura RDX - 09/11 - 05/15
(613) White 2013 Kia Rio5, 09/12 - 09/13
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M package, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - Current
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
easy e
 
saiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: burnabee
Posts: 3,584
Thanked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I think TKO is a really good place. I go there about twice a month staying at an Aunts place. Specifically Hang Hau. The area is developed imo, everything is nearby. MTR, shopping, groceries, schools, bus station, doctors office etc..

Where as when I stayed in Mong Kok (Ladies Street), it was horrible. So crowded, noisy, and relatively dirty.

How much is the typical salary for a newly grad in HK? In China it is a measly 2000-2500RMB/month. Which is barely enough to cover rent/food/utilities/and entertainment.
__________________
My Feedback
Go CANUCKS!!
saiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days
 
RFlush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,251
Thanked 658 Times in 191 Posts
I have a few friends at LOHAS Park, and although the price per sq feet is lower, the sizes are bigger and out of my budget. It's still developing, but the land there is just too much for my liking. And it's still in construction so it's a 5-10min walk to the MTR station. It does have it's own direct line, but it shares a train with Po Lam. As there are less people in LOHAS, it's roughly 1 train for every 3 for Po Lam meaning you might have to wait a bit at TKO station.

I guess I will just have to see how the property market goes this year. Hope the expected 15% drop will come true

As for wages in HK, as a friend grad you are most likely going to make $10,000HKD or under per month depending on your field. The average income is also $10,000HKD per month. Taxes are low, but the indirect tax of property is the killer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
apparently, freedom of speech does not exist on RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,370
Thanked 87 Times in 38 Posts
#'s are just estimates. Give-or-take depending on individual's credentials / experience / market etc.

$11,000 Big 4, ~$20,000 bank management-trainee, $40,000+ i-banks, $16,000 - $20,000 engineer new-grad

I know for i-banks, reg bonus would be 2-4 months, good being 6-12 months; banks less, not sure about big 4. Engineer depends firm-to-firm; I've heard i-bank type bonus to very little.
__________________
(604) Black 2008 Acura TL Type-S, 09/07 - 09/11
(604) Black 2010 Acura RDX - 09/11 - 05/15
(613) White 2013 Kia Rio5, 09/12 - 09/13
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M package, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - Current

Last edited by ntan; 03-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS
 
trancehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,362
Thanked 743 Times in 363 Posts
any computer scientists in HK? lol

and Skinny, im curious as to what you do exactly. i see you run that hardware review site among other things...is that keeping you afloat comfortably?
__________________
Quote:

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,370
Thanked 87 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
any computer scientists in HK? lol

and Skinny, im curious as to what you do exactly. i see you run that hardware review site among other things...is that keeping you afloat comfortably?
Bah, I lumped engineering with comp-sci. I actually interviewed for an Embedded Systems Eng. (C-programming) position which I guess relates to comp-sci... so that salary range might be applicable
__________________
(604) Black 2008 Acura TL Type-S, 09/07 - 09/11
(604) Black 2010 Acura RDX - 09/11 - 05/15
(613) White 2013 Kia Rio5, 09/12 - 09/13
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M package, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - Current
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
gearshifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 933
Thanked 288 Times in 152 Posts
Anyone know of the salary range in PwC from the starting to say senior manager?
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days
 
RFlush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,251
Thanked 658 Times in 191 Posts
Just FYI, if you require a working visa for HK, most likely you won't get it unless you are very specialized in your field or highly sought after with your unique talents.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
apparently, freedom of speech does not exist on RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,370
Thanked 87 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearshifter View Post
Anyone know of the salary range in PwC from the starting to say senior manager?
As I already mentioned, PwC 11k starting. Not sure about senior positions.
__________________
(604) Black 2008 Acura TL Type-S, 09/07 - 09/11
(604) Black 2010 Acura RDX - 09/11 - 05/15
(613) White 2013 Kia Rio5, 09/12 - 09/13
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M package, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - Current
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS
 
trancehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,362
Thanked 743 Times in 363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
Bah, I lumped engineering with comp-sci. I actually interviewed for an Embedded Systems Eng. (C-programming) position which I guess relates to comp-sci... so that salary range might be applicable
haha C-programming is definitely comp sci.

i asked because my friend who is in HK tells me the comp sci industry is crap there...generally because people treat it the same as IT ?
__________________
Quote:

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #37
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
artmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Delta
Posts: 881
Thanked 642 Times in 150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
From my perspective, Ap Lei Chau is not the most convenient location as there are no MTR stations nearby. It's in the southern part of Hong Kong Island which is accessible via mini-bus / bus. The bus ride to Aberdeen (very close to Ap Lei Chau) from West Kowloon takes over an hour long. Nonetheless, it is convenient and definitely a viable option if you work in Central / Wan Chai etc.

In comparison, my friend located in Prince Edward (Near Mong Kok) is in a 300sq-ft 1 bedroom flat in an older building, next to an hourly motel, and rent costs ~$6000 because of its convenience near MTR station.

Other friend who rents a 120 sq-ft 1 bedroom flat in TST pays around $4000.
Yeah it's not the greatest if you need to spend a lot of time away from HK island. It should be better in a couple years when the MTR construction finishes but I found it was really nice for me since I did spend most of my time on the island and worked in Cyberport. Also, my gf lived in CWB for a while and I honestly wouldn't be able to handle walking downstairs straight into mayhem like she did...

And for those who haven't tried yet, I'm sure there are a lot of these around but Ap Lei Chau has a great wet market! I would load up with seafood downstairs and bring it upstairs to get it cooked. All in all, we would spend around 100HKD per person getting totally full on only seafood and it was delicious! Highly recommended!
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #38
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
artmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Delta
Posts: 881
Thanked 642 Times in 150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
Just FYI, if you require a working visa for HK, most likely you won't get it unless you are very specialized in your field or highly sought after with your unique talents.
Yeah I suppose I got mine pretty easily since there aren't a ton of experienced game designers in HK. I heard that they're starting to tighten up on the whole Macau deal too. Some people in my old company were staying in HK without a visa and would head to Macau for the day, resetting their allowable time to stay (I think this is pretty common). Apparently a couple people who tried that recently came back and they never reset their allowable time... Not sure though... Might be because they were from the Philippines or something.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #39
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion
 
HonestTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,663
Thanked 1,106 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmotion View Post
Yeah it's not the greatest if you need to spend a lot of time away from HK island. It should be better in a couple years when the MTR construction finishes but I found it was really nice for me since I did spend most of my time on the island and worked in Cyberport. Also, my gf lived in CWB for a while and I honestly wouldn't be able to handle walking downstairs straight into mayhem like she did...

And for those who haven't tried yet, I'm sure there are a lot of these around but Ap Lei Chau has a great wet market! I would load up with seafood downstairs and bring it upstairs to get it cooked. All in all, we would spend around 100HKD per person getting totally full on only seafood and it was delicious! Highly recommended!
What...?!! That's pretty fucking cheap! If I remember correctly, everytime we ate, our bill was over 1000+ HKD for 7-10 people and that's before any seafood, after seafood our bills are usually above 2k+ easily.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #40
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
artmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Delta
Posts: 881
Thanked 642 Times in 150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
What...?!! That's pretty fucking cheap! If I remember correctly, everytime we ate, our bill was over 1000+ HKD for 7-10 people and that's before any seafood, after seafood our bills are usually above 2k+ easily.
Well, keep in mind that it's basically a cooked food market which I think you can find in most districts. Here's the place I'm talking about:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ap+Lei+Chau+Market+And+Cooked+Food+Market,+Hung+Shing+Street,+Hong+Kong&hl=en&ll=22.244516,114.155717&spn=0.002123,0.002411&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=58.598104,79.013672&oq=ap+lei+chau+market&t=h&hq=Ap+Lei+Chau+Market+And+Cooked+Food+Market,+Hung+Shing+Street,&hnear=Hong+Kong&z=19
Just make sure you buy your seafood from the market below and get it cooked upstairs. The fresh scallops steamed with fun si and garlic are my fav.


artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #41
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion
 
HonestTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,663
Thanked 1,106 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
probably be moving back in the coming year if my interviews go to plan.
If anything I'll be living in Tung Chung
Are you gonna live near the newer developments next to the Airport? It's pretty nice all around and when you're bored, you can just sit on the balcony and watch planes land LOL

I did that a few times last year but it's still pretty fucking hot at 3am..
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days
 
RFlush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,251
Thanked 658 Times in 191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmotion View Post
Yeah I suppose I got mine pretty easily since there aren't a ton of experienced game designers in HK. I heard that they're starting to tighten up on the whole Macau deal too. Some people in my old company were staying in HK without a visa and would head to Macau for the day, resetting their allowable time to stay (I think this is pretty common). Apparently a couple people who tried that recently came back and they never reset their allowable time... Not sure though... Might be because they were from the Philippines or something.
Sounds like a pretty sketchy company

Having people employed without the proper visa is a huge risk for the company. But I guess having idiots willing to work without the right visa fits the company rofl.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
apparently, freedom of speech does not exist on RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #43
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,370
Thanked 87 Times in 38 Posts
There's a similar place in Tuen Mun I went to. Picked up seafood from the local market, then brought it to the nearby restaurants to cook.



Spoiler for food pics
Spoiler!
__________________
(604) Black 2008 Acura TL Type-S, 09/07 - 09/11
(604) Black 2010 Acura RDX - 09/11 - 05/15
(613) White 2013 Kia Rio5, 09/12 - 09/13
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M package, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - Current
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
artmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Delta
Posts: 881
Thanked 642 Times in 150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
Sounds like a pretty sketchy company

Having people employed without the proper visa is a huge risk for the company. But I guess having idiots willing to work without the right visa fits the company rofl.
Yeah tell me about it haha. There's a reason why I left the company.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #45
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
gearshifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 933
Thanked 288 Times in 152 Posts
Curious to know, aside from rent, if you live by yourself and only need to support yourself, around what kind of expense budget are you looking at?
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
ae101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: space
Posts: 3,524
Thanked 1,582 Times in 631 Posts
my aunt lives in NT tai wo, its quite nice over there with fresh air & stuff but i work in china so there isn't much living in hk for me but i might consider tuen mun (but not too far out cuz i like the city) if i need to buy house in hk since i hear its much cheaper there

but seriously hk is run by evil big corp real estate company so its quite expensive to live there now
__________________
http://i55.tinypic.com/jujz2q.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #47
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,953
Thanked 20,504 Times in 6,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
any computer scientists in HK? lol

and Skinny, im curious as to what you do exactly. i see you run that hardware review site among other things...is that keeping you afloat comfortably?
I'm doing OK by living in a cheaper village house instead of a 30K apartment others are living in.

People say it's expensive to live here, but actually aside from rent, just about everything is cheaper than Vancouver. I probably wouldn't be able to do what I am doing living in Van, especially since I would need a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
question for skinny:

how come youre living in HK? if youre working for yourself and all... cuz of the wifey or what?
It's just because I like it here. That and the aforementioned lower cost of living...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
Just FYI, if you require a working visa for HK, most likely you won't get it unless you are very specialized in your field or highly sought after with your unique talents.
This is true, but not in all cases. There seem to be ways to get in the back door, because i know someone who just got a work visa as an IT specialist even though he has zero IT experience, and the job isn't even in IT, it's basically bartending. He had ONE credential, an MS certification from 10 years ago, that he didn't even know he had. But they went through some solicitor, and it got approved somehow
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #48
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS
 
CP.AR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FL400
Posts: 5,857
Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Hmm. $1200 CAD/mo for a 2br? People keep telling me it's almost impossible to afford to live in HK, but that doesn't seem bad at all. Cheaper than Vancouver anyway.
well... the size of the "bedroom" in HK will pass off as the size of a washroom here.

As for the washroom... maybe your closet?
TV/Living room will fit MAYBE a civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Are you gonna live near the newer developments next to the Airport? It's pretty nice all around and when you're bored, you can just sit on the balcony and watch planes land LOL

I did that a few times last year but it's still pretty fucking hot at 3am..
Yeah well.. I'll be working AT the airport if it all goes to plan
__________________
Where the hell am I
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #49
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,953
Thanked 20,504 Times in 6,510 Posts
My village home is 600 square feet, and unlike an apartment which is usually only 60-70% of their claimed footage (seriously), it really is 600 square feet. And we also have a nice roof top with a nice view, which itself is another 600 square feet, and a balcony with a BBQ, etc. I pay around $1000 CAD a month for rent.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #50
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
TRDood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: V
Posts: 7,849
Thanked 656 Times in 326 Posts
I don't live in HK but do have family there and stay with them when I go back. I still have my own bedroom in my grandma's house which is in Sai Wan Ho. I think it's a 650 sq ft 3 br flat.

MTR is convenient. 15-20 mins ride to Central/CWB. Buses in HK are slow due to traffic. And it's expensive to bus from the "rural" areas to the city (I think).

My aunt also has a 800sq ft 3br in Sai Wan Ho currently for rent. I think it's going for $20k a month. This is not the new developments. It's the ones built back around 1985-1990.

For my field (economist), going back to HK to work is not really an option because I can't really write in Chinese anymore. And working in a bank or i-banking is more competitive in HK.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net