REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Who is living in hk (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665002-who-living-hk.html)

RFlush 03-19-2012 11:35 PM

Who is living in hk

Just curious, who is currently living in hk at the moment? Which district in hk and if you are renting or own or living with parents. Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile

too_slow 03-19-2012 11:41 PM

Hyde's probably mansion hopping in the peak/stanley area.. LOL

Sky_High 03-20-2012 12:54 AM

Not in the Mid-Levels like OP :lawl:

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2012 01:20 AM

Renting a village home in the boonies of Sai Kung district. Used to rent in Kwun Tong. I like the boonies better ;)
Posted via RS Mobile

saiko 03-20-2012 03:30 AM

does Guangzhou count?

:alone:

Eastwood 03-20-2012 04:07 AM

For people who live in HK, what do you do there? Are the job opportunities anything like Canada?

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2012 04:38 AM

I work for myself, but based on what friends say, the market is better here. I know one person who wants to move back to Canada but can't find a decent job compared to here.

FerrariEnzo 03-20-2012 04:55 AM

are there any jobs for people who can converse basic cantonese and whats the pay like?

RFlush 03-20-2012 05:12 AM

Does anyone live in Po Lam, specifically Metro City Phase 2?

gearshifter 03-20-2012 05:12 AM

I will be moving back to HK to work in a year.
Currently interning in Asia...
Anyone know of any popular HK forums? Moreso lifestyles / general chat threads?

MoBettah 03-20-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7855475)
Renting a village home in the boonies of Sai Kung district. Used to rent in Kwun Tong. I like the boonies better ;)
Posted via RS Mobile

How's rent/pricing out there?

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoBettah (Post 7855560)
How's rent/pricing out there?

Cheaper than an apartment, and a bigger space. Open view and everything, cleaner, cooler air.. Only major downside is transportation isn't as handy as living right on top of an MTR. But I have direct minibus routes to various parts of the city, even Causeway Bay and MK.

danned 03-20-2012 07:01 AM

what good excuse you use for customs if you are working right now
and planning to return to canada?

asian_XL 03-20-2012 07:08 AM

if you work in the commerical district, no way you want to live in the village side. 2-3hrs on bus or train everyday is pain in the ass, take into account work live balance is horrible in Hong Kong, once you get home it's 11 at night already.

gearshifter 03-20-2012 07:10 AM

Just curious, what company do you guys work in HK?

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 7855577)
if you work in the commerical district, no way you want to live in the village side. 2-3hrs on bus or train everyday is pain in the ass, take into account work live balance is horrible in Hong Kong, once you get home it's 11 at night already.

True, but I wouldn't want to work in the commercial district no matter where I live :fuckthatshit: . My wife's sister lived in TKO for a year and works on the island, and just moved to CWB because of the commute. I can't really relate since I don't commute, but I wouldn't want to live right in the city.

RFlush 03-20-2012 07:28 AM

I was thinking of buying a flat in TKO but still considering there or Cheung Sha Wan. Where do you live Asian_xl

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2012 07:33 AM

If you're thinking about Kowloon, I like east better than west. The air seems cleaner, and there is more greenery out this way. Cheung Sha Wan is basically an industrial district with a few residential buildings thrown in. I remember looking there (actually it was by the lai chi kok station IIRC) when we first came here in 06 and while the buildings were brand new, the neighbourhood sucked.

But if it's for an investment only, who knows, there are probably other things to consider that I wouldn't care about :)

RFlush 03-20-2012 07:59 AM

Kowloon West prices are getting too high. You are right, it is Lai Chi Kok that I am looking at, but considered part of Cheung Sha Wan district. Was looking at Liberte, Banyan Garden or The Pacifica. Olympic is too costly right now so only thing is east in TKO.

I was there last week, its a nice area, still developing but a lot of land and the recent land sales majority has been in TKO which is not good for future resell.

CP.AR 03-20-2012 08:48 AM

probably be moving back in the coming year if my interviews go to plan.
If anything I'll be living in Tung Chung

RFlush 03-20-2012 09:03 AM

Anyone want to do a meet up for a drink and meal? Skinnypup said he will treat.

SkinnyPupp 03-20-2012 09:28 AM

:fuckthatshit:

Yeah Banyan is one of the buildings I looked at. The rooms are much smaller than 10-15 year old buildings... they usually have 3 tiny bedrooms instead of 2 decent sized ones. I didn't really like the phony 'resort' like common area, it reminds me too much of... well phony resort areas.. but I am guessing most new developments are like that. Again I guess it depends on whether you are buying for yourself to live in, or as an investment property.

Have you looked into Lohas Park? There are new developments being added every other year I think. It has its own MTR line that juts off of the main TKO line. There isn't anything there yet, but eventually all of TKO is going to become one big urban sprawl like the rest of kowloon. Maybe now is the time to get in?

ntan 03-20-2012 10:50 AM

When I was in HK, I was living in West Kowloon. Currently renting the flat out (565sq ft at 80% utilization) for roughly 30k a month.
Posted via RS Mobile

artmotion 03-20-2012 12:50 PM

I just got back from HK in June and have been missing it since. During my stay there, I lived at Sham Wan Towers in Ap Lei Chau for the majority of it and I loved it. Great amenities, super nice buildings and I started my lease at a time when I only had to pay 9500 a month (raised to 10k later on) for a 650-700sq ft 2br on the 49th floor. Plus it's still pretty close to Central, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay.

RabidRat 03-20-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artmotion (Post 7855871)
I just got back from HK in June and have been missing it since. During my stay there, I lived at Sham Wan Towers in Ap Lei Chau for the majority of it and I loved it. Great amenities, super nice buildings and I started my lease at a time when I only had to pay 9500 a month (raised to 10k later on) for a 650-700sq ft 2br on the 49th floor. Plus it's still pretty close to Central, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay.

Hmm. $1200 CAD/mo for a 2br? People keep telling me it's almost impossible to afford to live in HK, but that doesn't seem bad at all. Cheaper than Vancouver anyway.