REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #51
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I just moved to HK a few months ago. I'm currently living in TST. The place I'm at is around $14500 for a 700sq ft 2 bed room.
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
^ cool. I am living in TST as well.
Free rent...coz my fiance owns it. "Eating Slipper Rice".
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #53
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Are you guys living in Victoria Towers or Elements side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #54
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I lived Elements side. Not very convenient after 11PM in terms of food. Relied heavily on 24小時麥麥送
Posted via RS Mobile
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #55
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
^ lol mcdonalds for dinner everyday?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #56
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Hmm. $1200 CAD/mo for a 2br? People keep telling me it's almost impossible to afford to live in HK, but that doesn't seem bad at all. Cheaper than Vancouver anyway.
That is correct. Many people in Vancouver don't realize this, and assume other world cities are more pricey to live in. Many of my friends rent pads in Downtown that cost 1500+ /mth. This is easily enough to live in a decent place in many other big cities around the world.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #57
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Yeah most people don't realize how ridiculously expensive Vancouver is compared to most other cities in the world. If you can live in Van, you can live pretty much anywhere.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #58
The "You'd Know" Moderator

I have been working and living in Hong Kong for almost 5 years now.

Where you choose to live really depends on where you will work. Eg: if you live in TKO and you have to commute to work in western Kowloon or southern New Territories, it is a pain in the arse.

I live at the eastern tip of HK Island and I also work on this side, I pretty much wake up at the last minute and drive/ride to work. The traffic in the morning, again, is a PITA or if you are on the MTR, you will not enjoy others' body odor especially in the summer. Po Lam is a great location as it's the last MTR stop and you will most probably get to have a seat if you take the MTR. Avoid Lohas Park due to its proximity with the landfills, you will realize that there are huge flies flying around there ALL THE TIME. Besides, it's not THAT convenient. It supposedly sits on top of MTR station but it is actually a 10-minute walk with no air conditioning. The air quality is crappy as heck because of the landfill AND the diesel garbage trucks that don't meet any European emission standard.

Choosing the Kowloon side is wise as the electricity is supplied by the CLP group and you will enjoy a lower charge on the electricity compared to living on the HK Island.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #59

Yeah I heard about lohas park being smelly, and I guess it would depend on what side you're on. I used to walk around the TKO area a lot, and would often smell the garbage dump, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I also go to po lam a lot (actually I can see it from my balcony from up in the boonies) and the bad thing about po lam is that it is missing a post office and none of the Watsons or Mannings have pharmacies. Although in that case, it's not a big deal to walk 10 mins to Hang Hau or take the mtr 1 stop.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #60

^ hehe would probably be a biatch to receive registered mail that is redirected to the post office...

The prices of properties in TKO really went up A LOT, couple years ago it's more reasonable. If CY Leung really becomes CE, then it will be time to wait for the property prices to drop.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #61

Yes prices everywhere went up like crazy. When I first moved here in 2006, I was paying $8300 for a flat in Kwun Tong. The same price went up every year until eventually the landlords wanted $12,500 which is when we moved to the village.

50% increase in 5 years
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #62
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
That is correct. Many people in Vancouver don't realize this, and assume other world cities are more pricey to live in. Many of my friends rent pads in Downtown that cost 1500+ /mth. This is easily enough to live in a decent place in many other big cities around the world.
Huh?!
$1500 per month downtown Vancouver is $11,730HKD which for a 2bedroom place would get you no where near Central unless you want to live in a 400sq foot apartment that looks like it belongs in DTES.

HK housing is very expensive, more so compared to Vancouver per sq foot. This is an indirect tax which is why there are low taxes in HK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #63

Yeah when comparing prices, you have to consider that for the same price, you are not going to get nearly the same size. And living right downtown in HK would be impossible for the same budget.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #64
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
Huh?!
$1500 per month downtown Vancouver is $11,730HKD which for a 2bedroom place would get you no where near Central unless you want to live in a 400sq foot apartment that looks like it belongs in DTES.

HK housing is very expensive, more so compared to Vancouver per sq foot. This is an indirect tax which is why there are low taxes in HK.
No, I realize this, what I meant was that many people able to survive in Vancouver in a decent place could also survive elsewhere. I have plenty of friends in HK living in a wide range from village houses near Ma On Shan to Vancouver sized detached homes on the Peak with an infinity pool. It's the same for Vancouver. Not everyone lives in the British Properties, but still survive fine.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #65
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
housing is expensive in HK cuz those evil big corp real estate companies that calculates everything in gross sq ft instend of net sq ft

i also heard that if CY Leung dun become CE housing is gonna rise again since none of the big real estate companies support CY

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #66

If in HK downtown...

1500cdn might get you a 500sq ft 40yrs old apartment
3000cdn will get you a 500sq ft service apartment
3500cdn maybe K11 or those 600-700sq ft above kowloon station
10000cdn...Hyde's maid storage room
Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #67

Some of those 40 year old apartments can be really nice though
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #68
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
You probably get better living conditions from some of those 40 yrs old apartment...then Hyde's maid storage room

For $200/month....you can live in one of these:

Last edited by Sky_High; 03-22-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #69

Skinnypupp do you live at Yau Yue Wan Village?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #70
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
i live right next to yau yut sing (festive walk), be goin back next year, spent my vacation money on car!
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #71
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
You probably get better living conditions from some of those 40 yrs old apartment...then Hyde's maid storage room

For $200/month....you can live in one of these:

sorry dude this is just sad, HK really need to do the pubic housing thing ASAP cuz this is just sad each time i look at it
im young & i dun mind staying in places like this but these ppl should not

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Skinnypupp do you live at Yau Yue Wan Village?
No but even if I did, I probably wouldn't be that specific on the Internets about where I live. Especially after recent events
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
sorry dude this is just sad, HK really need to do the pubic housing thing ASAP cuz this is just sad each time i look at it
im young & i dun mind staying in places like this but these ppl should not
They'd rather have $6000 to blow on massage chairs and Galaxy Notes
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #74

^ They have no where to spend but personal luxuries like Galaxy Notes and iPads. On the other side of this planet, kids spend money on modding cars and road trips.

It's sad to see what is happening in Hong Kong. It is no longer the "golden" land for local people. All the new generation working class suffers the most...you are the baller if you could afford the down payment of a 500sq ft apartment, they say you are ridiculous if you could afford to have more than one kid at home.

In the last decade, we go to shenzhen to get massaged. Sooner of later, Hongers will massage the rich mainlanders.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #75
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
^ They have no where to spend but personal luxuries like Galaxy Notes and iPads. On the other side of this planet, kids spend money on modding cars and road trips.

It's sad to see what is happening in Hong Kong. It is no longer the "golden" land for local people. All the new generation working class suffers the most...you are the baller if you could afford the down payment of a 500sq ft apartment, they say you are ridiculous if you could afford to have more than one kid at home.

In the last decade, we go to shenzhen to get massaged. Sooner of later, Hongers will massage the rich mainlanders.
Ever think about coming back? =D