REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Who is living in hk (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665002-who-living-hk.html)

ShyGuy 03-21-2012 12:05 AM

I just moved to HK a few months ago. I'm currently living in TST. The place I'm at is around $14500 for a 700sq ft 2 bed room.

asian_XL 03-21-2012 04:29 AM

^ cool. I am living in TST as well.
Free rent...coz my fiance owns it. "Eating Slipper Rice".

RFlush 03-21-2012 05:21 AM

Are you guys living in Victoria Towers or Elements side?

ntan 03-21-2012 11:54 AM

I lived Elements side. Not very convenient after 11PM in terms of food. Relied heavily on 24小時麥麥送
Posted via RS Mobile

CP.AR 03-21-2012 05:00 PM

^ lol mcdonalds for dinner everyday?

achiam 03-21-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 7855987)
Hmm. $1200 CAD/mo for a 2br? People keep telling me it's almost impossible to afford to live in HK, but that doesn't seem bad at all. Cheaper than Vancouver anyway.

That is correct. Many people in Vancouver don't realize this, and assume other world cities are more pricey to live in. Many of my friends rent pads in Downtown that cost 1500+ /mth. This is easily enough to live in a decent place in many other big cities around the world.

SkinnyPupp 03-21-2012 06:17 PM

Yeah most people don't realize how ridiculously expensive Vancouver is compared to most other cities in the world. If you can live in Van, you can live pretty much anywhere.

impactX 03-21-2012 06:24 PM

I have been working and living in Hong Kong for almost 5 years now.

Where you choose to live really depends on where you will work. Eg: if you live in TKO and you have to commute to work in western Kowloon or southern New Territories, it is a pain in the arse.

I live at the eastern tip of HK Island and I also work on this side, I pretty much wake up at the last minute and drive/ride to work. The traffic in the morning, again, is a PITA or if you are on the MTR, you will not enjoy others' body odor especially in the summer. Po Lam is a great location as it's the last MTR stop and you will most probably get to have a seat if you take the MTR. Avoid Lohas Park due to its proximity with the landfills, you will realize that there are huge flies flying around there ALL THE TIME. Besides, it's not THAT convenient. It supposedly sits on top of MTR station but it is actually a 10-minute walk with no air conditioning. The air quality is crappy as heck because of the landfill AND the diesel garbage trucks that don't meet any European emission standard.

Choosing the Kowloon side is wise as the electricity is supplied by the CLP group and you will enjoy a lower charge on the electricity compared to living on the HK Island.

SkinnyPupp 03-21-2012 06:32 PM

Yeah I heard about lohas park being smelly, and I guess it would depend on what side you're on. I used to walk around the TKO area a lot, and would often smell the garbage dump, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I also go to po lam a lot (actually I can see it from my balcony from up in the boonies) and the bad thing about po lam is that it is missing a post office and none of the Watsons or Mannings have pharmacies. Although in that case, it's not a big deal to walk 10 mins to Hang Hau or take the mtr 1 stop.

impactX 03-21-2012 06:38 PM

^ hehe would probably be a biatch to receive registered mail that is redirected to the post office...

The prices of properties in TKO really went up A LOT, couple years ago it's more reasonable. If CY Leung really becomes CE, then it will be time to wait for the property prices to drop.

SkinnyPupp 03-21-2012 06:43 PM

Yes prices everywhere went up like crazy. When I first moved here in 2006, I was paying $8300 for a flat in Kwun Tong. The same price went up every year until eventually the landlords wanted $12,500 which is when we moved to the village.

50% increase in 5 years :fulloffuck:

RFlush 03-21-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 7859298)
That is correct. Many people in Vancouver don't realize this, and assume other world cities are more pricey to live in. Many of my friends rent pads in Downtown that cost 1500+ /mth. This is easily enough to live in a decent place in many other big cities around the world.

Huh?!
$1500 per month downtown Vancouver is $11,730HKD which for a 2bedroom place would get you no where near Central unless you want to live in a 400sq foot apartment that looks like it belongs in DTES.

HK housing is very expensive, more so compared to Vancouver per sq foot. This is an indirect tax which is why there are low taxes in HK.

SkinnyPupp 03-21-2012 08:12 PM

Yeah when comparing prices, you have to consider that for the same price, you are not going to get nearly the same size. And living right downtown in HK would be impossible for the same budget.

achiam 03-21-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFlush (Post 7859441)
Huh?!
$1500 per month downtown Vancouver is $11,730HKD which for a 2bedroom place would get you no where near Central unless you want to live in a 400sq foot apartment that looks like it belongs in DTES.

HK housing is very expensive, more so compared to Vancouver per sq foot. This is an indirect tax which is why there are low taxes in HK.

No, I realize this, what I meant was that many people able to survive in Vancouver in a decent place could also survive elsewhere. I have plenty of friends in HK living in a wide range from village houses near Ma On Shan to Vancouver sized detached homes on the Peak with an infinity pool. It's the same for Vancouver. Not everyone lives in the British Properties, but still survive fine.

ae101 03-21-2012 09:05 PM

housing is expensive in HK cuz those evil big corp real estate companies that calculates everything in gross sq ft instend of net sq ft

i also heard that if CY Leung dun become CE housing is gonna rise again since none of the big real estate companies support CY

asian_XL 03-22-2012 02:19 AM

If in HK downtown...

1500cdn might get you a 500sq ft 40yrs old apartment
3000cdn will get you a 500sq ft service apartment
3500cdn maybe K11 or those 600-700sq ft above kowloon station
10000cdn...Hyde's maid storage room

SkinnyPupp 03-22-2012 02:51 AM

Some of those 40 year old apartments can be really nice though

Sky_High 03-22-2012 03:09 AM

You probably get better living conditions from some of those 40 yrs old apartment...then Hyde's maid storage room :troll:

For $200/month....you can live in one of these:

http://ax3battery.com/wp-content/upl...5_634x9841.jpg
http://ax3battery.com/wp-content/upl...2_634x4211.jpg
http://ax3battery.com/wp-content/upl...4_634x4211.jpg
http://ax3battery.com/wp-content/upl...1_634x4211.jpg
http://ax3battery.com/wp-content/upl...1_634x4211.jpg
http://ax3battery.com/wp-content/upl...8_634x4811.jpg

impactX 03-22-2012 03:19 AM

Skinnypupp do you live at Yau Yue Wan Village?

belaud 03-22-2012 03:23 AM

i live right next to yau yut sing (festive walk), be goin back next year, spent my vacation money on car! :D

ae101 03-22-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky_High (Post 7859900)

sorry dude this is just sad, HK really need to do the pubic housing thing ASAP cuz this is just sad each time i look at it
im young & i dun mind staying in places like this but these ppl should not

SkinnyPupp 03-22-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactX (Post 7859905)
Skinnypupp do you live at Yau Yue Wan Village?

No but even if I did, I probably wouldn't be that specific on the Internets about where I live. Especially after recent events :heckno:
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 03-22-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 7859913)
sorry dude this is just sad, HK really need to do the pubic housing thing ASAP cuz this is just sad each time i look at it
im young & i dun mind staying in places like this but these ppl should not

They'd rather have $6000 to blow on massage chairs and Galaxy Notes :rukidding:
Posted via RS Mobile

asian_XL 03-22-2012 05:23 AM

^ They have no where to spend but personal luxuries like Galaxy Notes and iPads. On the other side of this planet, kids spend money on modding cars and road trips.

It's sad to see what is happening in Hong Kong. It is no longer the "golden" land for local people. All the new generation working class suffers the most...you are the baller if you could afford the down payment of a 500sq ft apartment, they say you are ridiculous if you could afford to have more than one kid at home.

In the last decade, we go to shenzhen to get massaged. Sooner of later, Hongers will massage the rich mainlanders.

RabidRat 03-22-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 7859924)
^ They have no where to spend but personal luxuries like Galaxy Notes and iPads. On the other side of this planet, kids spend money on modding cars and road trips.

It's sad to see what is happening in Hong Kong. It is no longer the "golden" land for local people. All the new generation working class suffers the most...you are the baller if you could afford the down payment of a 500sq ft apartment, they say you are ridiculous if you could afford to have more than one kid at home.

In the last decade, we go to shenzhen to get massaged. Sooner of later, Hongers will massage the rich mainlanders.

Ever think about coming back? =D