REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Who is living in hk (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665002-who-living-hk.html)

RabidRat 03-23-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7856222)
#'s are just estimates. Give-or-take depending on individual's credentials / experience / market etc.

$11,000 Big 4, ~$20,000 bank management-trainee, $40,000+ i-banks, $16,000 - $20,000 engineer new-grad

I know for i-banks, reg bonus would be 2-4 months, good being 6-12 months; banks less, not sure about big 4. Engineer depends firm-to-firm; I've heard i-bank type bonus to very little.

Hang on this is all in HKD? Monthly gross salary? Damn..

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-23-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 7860454)
once you have lived in the downtown area or TKO or Olympic, you will think mid level is very remoted and populated. Sure if you are gwai lo enough, and think LKF is the only place to hang out, then that's fine.

Kowloon side is better, the habour view is much nicer, I think.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...79848738_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...47227945_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...45319722_n.jpg

cant beat this view man..

yeah ill be honest, i hang out in LKF a lot when im in hk.

dragoni, play, and beijing... volar after LOL.

if i go to kowloon side, it's to eat and hang out with friends, and go to bars.

but you cant beat that view man.

on a nice chill day, on the balcony smoking a doobie staring at the ants below.

ntan 03-23-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 7861466)

cant beat this view man..

yeah ill be honest, i hang out in LKF a lot when im in hk.

dragoni, play, and beijing... volar after LOL.

if i go to kowloon side, it's to eat and hang out with friends, and go to bars.

but you cant beat that view man.

on a nice chill day, on the balcony smoking a doobie staring at the ants below.

I guess it's a difference in opinion. Waking up / looking at the skyline at night from Kowloon was second-to-none. Apologize for crap quality, all taken with iPhone.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10988832/IMG_1932.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10988832/IMG_2145.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10988832/IMG_3125.JPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 7861402)
Hang on this is all in HKD? Monthly gross salary? Damn..

Yeah, all in HKD. Damn in a good way or bad way? haha.

turb0triX 03-23-2012 03:21 PM

^ your pics don't work. i think you need to copy them to your "public" folder in your dropbox for others to see

ntan 03-23-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turb0triX (Post 7861667)
^ your pics don't work. i think you need to copy them to your "public" folder in your dropbox for others to see

Hope that works now 8) Dropbox noob. Thought Photo folder was public as well.

gearshifter 03-23-2012 05:59 PM

curious to ask, how does LKF compare to vancouver clubs?

SkinnyPupp 03-23-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7861349)
Do expats typically go to HK by choice or forcibly sent there by their employers?

Generally they go to take advantage of huge salary bonuses, and packages that cover most expensive living costs (rent, school, etc), but often have no interest in the country they are going to or the culture. That is probably why they complain so much, and rarely leave their segregated communities...

Of course that is a HORRIBLE oversimplification and gross generalization, and I feel rotten for even typing that, but you get the idea ;)

asian_XL 03-23-2012 06:47 PM

can skinny speak fluent cantonese? just curious.
Not a single white guy in my company "attempts" to learn how to speak the language. They don't go to Kowloon, they don't eat wun ton noodles, they hang out with english speaking people only etc. Maybe Asian women who speak English.

SkinnyPupp 03-23-2012 06:58 PM

I am not fluent, no. I learned that if you want to be fluent, you need to actively take lessons, and speak it every day... I don't take lessons, and the only time I speak it is when ordering food or other small things like that :okay:

I am picking up a bit, I can follow some conversations a bit, I get a general sense of what people are talking about, and it often surprises them when I chime in in English :lol

Other than that, I am nothing like your coworkers. I go to the island about once a month if that, I have never been to LKF in my life, and I don't hang out with anyone, English or otherwise :alone: :troll:

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-23-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7861601)
I guess it's a difference in opinion. Waking up / looking at the skyline at night from Kowloon was second-to-none. Apologize for crap quality, all taken with iPhone.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10988832/IMG_1932.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10988832/IMG_2145.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10988832/IMG_3125.JPG

lol actually your view is pretty awesome too.

anything by the water or where u can see all the buildings is good in my opinion.

i just dont wanna be looking out my window at another building.

i love buildings most, but secondly i love watchign activity.. the boats and cars moving around

artmotion 03-23-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearshifter (Post 7861819)

Vancouver clubs? :fuckthatshit:

artmotion 03-23-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 7861894)

anything by the water or where u can see all the buildings is good in my opinion.

i love buildings most, but secondly i love watchign activity.. the boats and cars moving around

I still remember when I first got to HK, I was living in Kennedy Town and I woke up one morning with an aircraft carrier or something outside. So crazy!

achiam 03-23-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

LOL. I haven't been everywhere in the world, but I am fortunate enough to have a group of close friends in 6 world cities. If clubbing was akin to Pho, Vancouver's Pho would be the equivalent of Kim Pehn Xe Lua at 3AM (my 2003 memory of it, where cockroaches were on the ground and the soup was salted out to the max in MSG).

asian_XL 03-23-2012 08:31 PM

you do not want to go to those low end clubs in HK, chicks there are older than your mom probably, my co-worker brought me to one in Jordan many year ago, it feels likes in one of those young and dangerous scene "midnight club". Then those highend ones, you will see a lot more CBC or white dude there, but generally a lot more expensive and members only, gold digging chickes love these places.

the ones that I usually go in Central are usually packed with people, bouncer has zero control, they just take your money and let you in. It feels like being in the train during rush hour. It is awesome to bring some chicks friends along with you.

If in LKF, I like Fongs in the basement.

ntan 03-23-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 7861894)

That's actually my sister's place. I lived in the building next to hers but I didn't have waterfront view; my view was towards the inside, looking at the gardens, though I did have a crack of ocean view (westward though, so looking into the abyssal plains) between buildings.

The bad thing about that area is the noise. Yes it's nice to see boats and whatnot, but with the construction of the new cultural centre in the front, it gets really loud in the morning.

PiuYi 03-23-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7861296)
Yes but reading Geoexpat, you realize that most expats do a lot of whining about stuff

True story. Expats are never happy, always makes comparisons with how hk isn't as good as home

Quote:

no comparison
last time i went to LKF, walked into a club, no cover, chicks handing me XO :fuckyea:

.Renn.Sport 03-23-2012 09:43 PM

nobody pays cover at a club in hk...

if you do, u are probably a local
:lawl:

.Renn.Sport 03-23-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7861969)
That's actually my sister's place. I lived in the building next to hers but I didn't have waterfront view; my view was towards the inside, looking at the gardens, though I did have a crack of ocean view (westward though, so looking into the abyssal plains) between buildings.

The bad thing about that area is the noise. Yes it's nice to see boats and whatnot, but with the construction of the new cultural centre in the front, it gets really loud in the morning.

kowloon station was better a few years ago, now its just infested with mainlanders

its just not the traditional luxury residence area like the mid-levels, happy valley, kowloon tong, homantin etc

Sky_High 03-23-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 7862039)
nobody pays cover at a club in hk...

if you do, u are probably a local
:lawl:

Just go clubbing at Hyde's place :troll:

Hyde Members Club opens in Central Hong Kong Lyndhurst Terrace - LifestyleAsia.com - Key to your city

ntan 03-24-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 7862045)
kowloon station was better a few years ago, now its just infested with mainlanders

its just not the traditional luxury residence area like the mid-levels, happy valley, kowloon tong, homantin etc

Only really at The Arch. The Harbourside has a more diversified crowd- Lotta Japanese people actually.

gearshifter 03-24-2012 02:20 AM

wow lfk sounds crazy good...

how about the crowd there? what's it like?

Sky_High 03-24-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 7861966)
you do not want to go to those low end clubs in HK, chicks there are older than your mom probably, my co-worker brought me to one in Jordan many year ago, it feels likes in one of those young and dangerous scene "midnight club". Then those highend ones, you will see a lot more CBC or white dude there, but generally a lot more expensive and members only, gold digging chickes love these places.

the ones that I usually go in Central are usually packed with people, bouncer has zero control, they just take your money and let you in. It feels like being in the train during rush hour. It is awesome to bring some chicks friends along with you.

If in LKF, I like Fongs in the basement.

Other than those ones in Jordan and the "high end" ones at Central..... what are some good ones in between?

Anything beside Fongs?

flagella 03-24-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7861601)

Very bad way.

drunkrussian 03-24-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 7861854)
can skinny speak fluent cantonese? just curious.
Not a single white guy in my company "attempts" to learn how to speak the language. They don't go to Kowloon, they don't eat wun ton noodles, they hang out with english speaking people only etc. Maybe Asian women who speak English.

u can live in hk and work there and not speak chinese?!?!

ntan 03-24-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 7862335)
u can live in hk and work there and not speak chinese?!?!

No different from living and working in Vancouver and speaking limited English if you stay within Richmond.