REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Who is living in hk (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665002-who-living-hk.html)

asian_XL 03-28-2012 04:09 AM

maybe another 4-5 yrs, Tai Po can go directly to Admiralty without changing trains and several minutes quicker

ntan 03-28-2012 08:11 AM

Anyone have comments about 九肚山. Don't know much about that area and would love it of some of y'all can chime in

RabidRat 03-28-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuro Ray (Post 7864256)
hopefully I can afford to move back if I get hired :okay:

:lol what does that mean?? If you get hired you're going to have to move back, whether you can afford to or not. =p

RabidRat 03-28-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactX (Post 7864238)
Will look forward to see CY's policy on housing and whether he can attract talents to be the CS, FS, and the secretary for the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau... Not sure if CY will be able to keep Norman Chan of Monetary Authority, who was the prodigy of Joseph Yam.

Protege?

impactX 03-28-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 7867055)
Protege?

Thx! My Engrish has deteriorated. :D

Stormspirit 03-28-2012 06:34 PM

Does anyone know is it easy to get a job in HK with a BBA degree? With fluent cantonese and partial mandarin. But my writing is terribly bad, reading newspaper still ok .

RFlush 03-28-2012 06:49 PM

Do you have a hkid?

Girl 03-28-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormspirit (Post 7867403)
Does anyone know is it easy to get a job in HK with a BBA degree? With fluent cantonese and partial mandarin. But my writing is terribly bad, reading newspaper still ok .

If you can speak English like a native English speaker without any asian accents, you chances of a job is definitely higher. A BBA is a dime a dozen these days so having good English is a leg up.

.Renn.Sport 03-29-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7866841)
Anyone have comments about 九肚山. Don't know much about that area and would love it of some of y'all can chime in

used to live in that area a couple years ago. its pretty much like living in west van. it takes at least 10 minutes to drive to shatin. mostly large single houses there and starting price now is probably at least around 80-100m.

asian_XL 03-29-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormspirit (Post 7867403)

BBA is the minimum requirement to get a job here. :accepted:
it is difficult to compete with people here who have a couple of undergrad degrees, 3 master degrees and a handful of professional qualification.

Speak fluent English is a must, but native english speakers will not make you much better. Of course it depends on which company you are working for. I used to work for Bank of China, absolutely no English needed.

Sky_High 03-29-2012 06:00 AM

Say you have a BBA / fluent English / etc...

How likely will they hire you if you can't read/write Chinese, but you can fluently speak/understand it?

gearshifter 03-29-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky_High (Post 7868075)

How likely will they hire you if you can't read/write Chinese, but you can fluently speak/understand it?

Chances are... not likely. The only companies you can apply to are the international companies. However, as international companies, the competition is very high. In this case, either your work experience is very good or you have very a network.... if not then..... well... you are out of luck.

ntan 03-29-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 7868065)
used to live in that area a couple years ago. its pretty much like living in west van. it takes at least 10 minutes to drive to shatin. mostly large single houses there and starting price now is probably at least around 80-100m.

Are the detached houses older or relatively new? How is the neighborhood in terms of outside traffic, etc.

Thanks.

asian_XL 03-29-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

do you have local working experience? companies look heavily on your years of experience if only a degree holder.

.Renn.Sport 03-29-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7868319)
Are the detached houses older or relatively new? How is the neighborhood in terms of outside traffic, etc.

Thanks.

its almost in the middle of no where. houses are relatively new and well kept. given the price of that area, it better be.

if you can afford it, its a great place to live, much better than living at the peak imo... but it takes at least 30 minutes to drive to central.

urban.boi 03-30-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Not very likely, like others have said a Bachelor degree is just an entry in. I see a lot of people coming back with Masters degree and getting into jobs.

-----
Anyways I'm living in Happy Valley, owning the place. But I sometimes go back to my parents place which is in Sai Kung.