REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Who is living in hk (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665002-who-living-hk.html)

RFlush 03-24-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7861867)
I am not fluent, no. I learned that if you want to be fluent, you need to actively take lessons, and speak it every day... I don't take lessons, and the only time I speak it is when ordering food or other small things like that :okay:

I am picking up a bit, I can follow some conversations a bit, I get a general sense of what people are talking about, and it often surprises them when I chime in in English :lol

So basically you are like similar to the people who can't speak English in Canada, except for the reverse.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/64695...k-english.html

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFlush (Post 7862348)
So basically you are like similar to the people who can't speak English in Canada, except for the reverse.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/64695...k-english.html

Pretty much, that's why I have no problem with them. Never have. A lot of my friends growing up had parents and grandparents like that, from all over the world.

But unlike many them, I don't specifically remove myself from local culture. You can't do that here unless you are a true expat or truly :alone:. Most HK people my age that I have come across socially can speak some English, and it's technically an official language here IIRC, so I am not as segregated as the people discussed in that thread.

Also, I want to learn canto. I am just really dumb, and lazy, and it's a fucken tough language to pick up. One day, I will have the motivation to put forth a LOT of effort to learn it fluently. Maybe once I get my full residency, some time in the future

RabidRat 03-24-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 7861601)
Yeah, all in HKD. Damn in a good way or bad way? haha.

I have no idea about the other fields you listed, but for a new grad engineer, that is absolutely terrible.

To confirm, $20,000 HKD is $2570 CAD? So $30,840 a year?
And rent is about $1250 CAD a month? How could you afford to live?!

Starting salary in Vancouver for a new grad engineer is around $45,000.
Ontario: $60,000
California: $70,000

And that's being conservative. So I guess HK doesn't make sense for engineers then haha.

too_slow 03-24-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7861183)
A HK forum actually makes more sense than an island forum and an okanagan forum :suspicious:

Should make an "Australasia Forum" since I will be moving to Australia soon.. :alone:

ntan 03-24-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 7862511)
I have no idea about the other fields you listed, but for a new grad engineer, that is absolutely terrible.

To confirm, $20,000 HKD is $2570 CAD? So $30,840 a year?
And rent is about $1250 CAD a month? How could you afford to live?!

Starting salary in Vancouver for a new grad engineer is around $45,000.
Ontario: $60,000
California: $70,000

And that's being conservative. So I guess HK doesn't make sense for engineers then haha.

This is especially true if the amount you make is NOT significant because the advantage of the lower income tax rate (flat 15%) in Hong Kong is not fully realized. If said person was making substantially more, then it'll be even more beneficial to work in Hong Kong as we have a progressive tax system here. At $20,000 HKD / month, it doesn't make much difference (Both post-tax income is roughly the same). Once you make more than ~$42,000 CAD /year (or $27,000 HKD / month), it starts becoming more and more attractive to work in Hong Kong vs. Canada.

And Hong Kong is not a "tech" city; it's finance-centric. Furthermore, a lot of the R&D for tech companies in Hong Kong gets outsourced to China, where it's significantly cheaper. This is the reason why I decided to decline a new-grad position at an engineering firm in Hong Kong as the salary was definitely unfavourable.

Starting salary for new-grad engineers vary by discipline. I have personally found that high-tech companies pay more vs. traditional engineering disciplines / fields.

asian_XL 03-24-2012 06:36 PM

Apartment rent and price in Hong Kong used to be affordable, we all know that. In 2006, the first year I came back here, $20,000hkd salary ($2940cdn when 1:6.7) is not a bad number, you can get a decent 2 bed room apartment for $2mil ($294Kcdn). Things went down hill when the RMB went up like crazy and HK real estate become the prime investment tool for the mainlanders. No one did anything about it. Like ntan mentioned, income tax rate is low, 15% is only the annouced number. After all possible deductions, last year my rate was a very low 7-8% number + that $6000 scheme, ending up I paid almost nothing.

All the jobs in Hong Kong do not pay their new grads or trainees that well. Maybe 15,000 or something for the first few years, then it goes double or triple afterward. That's one reason why Hongers switch jobs every several years to get a better compensation package.

You might consider Macau if your career does not go so well in Hong Kong.

.Renn.Sport 03-24-2012 08:45 PM

Hong Kong is finished anyways

Might as well just move back to Canada or China

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-24-2012 08:56 PM

I love chin... ese girls.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-24-2012 09:20 PM

my fucking god... CY Leung won... R.I.P. hk..

top_gear 03-24-2012 09:27 PM

what happened to elites ruling hong kong?

hk is really done

Bahhbeehhaaaa 03-24-2012 09:39 PM

yupp.. hk is done.. =(((

RFlush 03-24-2012 09:43 PM

And how is hk done?

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2012 09:45 PM

Yeah I don't get how it's "finished". It's not like anyone has a say in who is the Chief Executive... It's basically a fixed election, so how is the outcome today relevant?

yray 03-24-2012 09:47 PM

^HK People tend to whine about everything :troll:

From Tung to Donald, the whining hasn't stopped :P, even when Patton was here we were whining.

pure.life 03-24-2012 09:49 PM

I think they voted for a city official that is pro-China. Hence, communism. For those who are well in touch with hk, please educate us more. I'm interested to see how this affects the city

ntan 03-24-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa (Post 7862945)

This year's chief executive election was hilarious!

HonestTea 03-24-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa (Post 7862945)

Quote:

Originally Posted by top_gear (Post 7862952)
what happened to elites ruling hong kong?

hk is really done

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa (Post 7862967)
yupp.. hk is done.. =(((

For those of us that don't know the situation in HK could you guys explain why?

Sky_High 03-24-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 7862901)
Hong Kong is finished anyways

Might as well just move back to Canada or China

Please don't. :rukidding:

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2012 10:02 PM

I don't know why they call it an election, as only about 1100 people participate in the vote. And most of those, of course, have close ties to China. So basically HK's leader is chosen in the best interest of 0.014% of the population.

But we all knew that going in. We also knew that they were going to chose Tang, who somehow managed to botch a fixed election, which is amazing in itself. So then, we all knew that CY was going to be chosen.. so what's the 'new' thing that is causing HK to be "finished"?

Seems like nothing more than status quo to me. If anything, this may hopefully lead to more opposition, and more support to fight for universal suffrage.

This July 1 will be interesting

ntan 03-24-2012 10:43 PM

Aren't they changing it to a general public election in 2017?

qoopoo 03-24-2012 11:15 PM

Which website do you guys use to read about HK news in English? My chinese is not fluent so I am unable to read the chinese websites, but I would like to keep up with the current events in HK

.Renn.Sport 03-24-2012 11:19 PM

Say goodbye to democracy in Hk.

Plus the whole election was just a puppet show, he was chosen a year ago by the Chinese gov

twitchyzero 03-24-2012 11:27 PM

^ feel free to educate the rest of RS but i didn't see HK being very democratic the last decade and half

an Election Committee is almost ironic as the name Democratic People's Republic of Korea

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport (Post 7863077)
Say goodbye to democracy in Hk.

Plus the whole election was just a puppet show, he was chosen a year ago by the Chinese gov

But this is nothing new. It's been this way since 97.

RFlush 03-25-2012 02:26 AM

Really? Considering in 97 the CE was just appointed in hk, and more at least 1200 people can vote, I think its much better now. Also, it was Henry Tang that was originally backed by Beijing, everyone thought he would be the clear winner. Then the scandals happen and the public tight he was scum and it was the majority of hk who wanted CY Leung I think that shows that there is a somewhat democracy. The public got what they wanted and they were able to change the minds of those who are able to vote, I think thats great.