REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #151
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
Say goodbye to democracy in Hk.

Plus the whole election was just a puppet show, he was chosen a year ago by the Chinese gov
really, cuz henry tang was chosen 9 years ago cuz chairman jiang & henry tang father were close friends

henry tang was gonna win its just that he screwed up REALLY REALLY badly, plus CY was really smart getting close to public people of HK hoping that would help him by forcing his way it using the pubic peoples power

also how is CY that bad, cuz i know he looks evil (like a cartoon vulture) but he for the public & since most of the real estate big corp did not support him, they went all to humilate CY which is not a gentlemens way at all

so most likely CY will take care of housing problem right now just to get to give these guys a taste of whats up
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #152
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
it was the majority of hk who wanted CY Leung I think that shows that there is a somewhat democracy.

I like you man, but that made my heart skip a beat when I read that

I hope you don't seriously think like that
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #153
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

I like you man, but that made my heart skip a beat when I read that

I hope you don't seriously think like that
Was CY Leung not leading the polls before the election?
Also in the Popvote he had the most non blank votes:

Total votes:222,990

Leung:39,614 (17.8%)
Ho:25,452 (11.4%)
Tang:36,226 (16.3%)
Blank votes:121,580 (54.6%)

Maybe the word majority was wrong, I just meant I think people did NOT want Henry Tang in, and the only alternative was CY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #154
I bringith the lowerballerith

Can someone chim in about the whole Tang vs Leung as CE

The pro's and con's. Skip the scandel part. I just want to know which guy would have been better.

I heard so many different opinions from both sides. I just want to hear from someone that is from HK and how it affects them.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #155

Well for me, I am not originally from HK. I just came here 3 years ago so I am not sure how the "local" people think or those who have been here for a while.

To me, the way I see it is that whether CY, Henry or Albert, they are all pretty much the same. Most of the hongers just like to complain about everything. Mainland mothers, $6000, universal suffrage, D&G, just about anything. No matter what happens, people will be complaining.

I think both their platforms were somewhat similar. More social housing, more this more that, less pollution etc. I didn't really pay attention much to be honest. I just know from what I heard, that if CY Leung gets elected, property prices should drop to a more stable level (he was responsible for the social housing that led to the crash in 98). For myself looking to purchase a flat in HK, I was hoping he gets elected and I hope prices drop so they can be more affordable. On the other hand, I am sure those who have property don't want this to ever happen, so like I said, can never please all the hongers.
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #156
Resident Bullshitter

The first thing CY will do now is to get article 23 passed.

Once thats passed, it wouldn't take long before you'll see youtube and facebook banned in HK!

and a public election? that will never happen
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #157

Quote:
The first thing CY will do now is to get article 23 passed.

Once thats passed, it wouldn't take long before you'll see youtube and facebook banned in HK!

and a public election? that will never happen
Come on man, do you think the locals will really allow that to happen? Last time they tried, there was mass protest and Regina Ip had to resign. The people in HK are more powerful than you think.

If they can get the first CE to step down, I am sure now with the post 80's they can get any law stopped if needed. China won't allow for it as well. As much as they dislike democracy, they promised that in 2017 it will happen. Especially with the disruptions and the change of power within Mainland, they don't want HK to become chaotic. Isn't that why they backed CY Leung instead of Henry Tang? At first everyone knew Beijing wanted Henry in power, but after public uproar, they decided to back CY to please the public. China can't allow for HK to be divided.
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #158

Quote:
Was CY Leung not leading the polls before the election?
Also in the Popvote he had the most non blank votes:

Total votes:222,990

Leung:39,614 (17.8%)
Ho:25,452 (11.4%)
Tang:36,226 (16.3%)
Blank votes:121,580 (54.6%)

Maybe the word majority was wrong, I just meant I think people did NOT want Henry Tang in, and the only alternative was CY.
I think the majority want to be able to nominate and vote for their own people. Why do you think the winner of the popvote poll was "WE DON'T WANT ANY OF THESE COMMIE CUNTS RUNNING OUR COUNTRY"

This is more than just people complaining.. they have every right to be upset when their 'leader' is chosen by 0.14% of the population! And it is so blatantly fixed, when the top 2 choices are two complete scumbags.

Complaining about not being able to take pictures of D&G is one thing, but complaining about universal suffrage is quite another.

I do agree that article 23 won't be passed as easily as hyde seems to think. That is a worst case scenario, and the protests will be bigger and bigger each time it is brought up. It will get VERY messy if it comes close to passing through.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #159
Resident Bullshitter

Do you think the locals have any power over the communist? Especially CY is already known as a underground communist member and also a member of Sun Yee On.

Henry Tang was never a candidate, he was only a tool to compete with CY so that it doesn't look like a one horse run.

and remember, this is china, they can promise you anything but never happens. Democracy is finished in hk. so is the 1 country 2 system.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #160

Quote:
I think the majority want to be able to nominate and vote for their own people. Why do you think the winner of the popvote poll was "WE DON'T WANT ANY OF THESE COMMIE CUNTS RUNNING OUR COUNTRY"

This is more than just people complaining.. they have every right to be upset when their 'leader' is chosen by 0.14% of the population! And it is so blatantly fixed, when the top 2 choices are two complete scumbags.

Complaining about not being able to take pictures of D&G is one thing, but complaining about universal suffrage is quite another.

I do agree that article 23 won't be passed as easily as hyde seems to think. That is a worst case scenario, and the protests will be bigger and bigger each time it is brought up. It will get VERY messy if it comes close to passing through.
True, people want to be able to vote for themselves but the matter of the fact is, they can't. So taking that out of the equation, CY Leung was the most "popular" non blank vote. Even if people COULD vote, who would they vote for?

Quote:
Do you think the locals have any power over the communist? Especially CY is already known as a underground communist member and also a member of Sun Yee On.

Henry Tang was never a candidate, he was only a tool to compete with CY so that it doesn't look like a one horse run.

and remember, this is china, they can promise you anything but never happens. Democracy is finished in hk. so is the 1 country 2 system.
I think you are abusing the word "communist" too much. First, let's say he IS an underground CPC member, so what? What does that mean? You really think that after 15 years, then all of a sudden CY will turn HK into mainland China? In 1997, Beijing appointed Tung Chee Hwa as the first CE of HK. There was no 1200 party election, nothing, just him being placed by the Communist Part of China. You really think that if China wanted to turn HK more into a mainland city, they wouldn't of done it before? Why now? Why CY?

China won't let it happen. The second anything remotely close happens, there will be mass protest and riots in HK. China can't allow that to happen as it will create anarchy, especially now during a crucial time of power change.
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #161

Quote:
True, people want to be able to vote for themselves but the matter of the fact is, they can't. So taking that out of the equation, CY Leung was the most "popular" non blank vote.
That is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way from saying what you said before: "it was the majority of hk who wanted CY Leung I think that shows that there is a somewhat democracy."

Also, he only beat the other guy by 1.5%. But none of that really matters when the BLANK VOTE wins the vast majority.

Quote:
Even if people COULD vote, who would they vote for?
Guess we'll never know until universal suffrage happens (if it does)
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #162
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
..income tax rate (flat 15%) in Hong Kong..

Once you make more than ~$42,000 CAD /year (or $27,000 HKD / month), it starts becoming more and more attractive to work in Hong Kong vs. Canada.
Ahh makes sense, thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #163

so henry tangs father being BEST BUDDIES with chairman jiang makes him a tool to compete this years CE race eh!

Quote:
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #164
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Especially with the disruptions and the change of power within Mainland, they don't want HK to become chaotic. Isn't that why they backed CY Leung instead of Henry Tang? At first everyone knew Beijing wanted Henry in power, but after public uproar, they decided to back CY to please the public. China can't allow for HK to be divided.
I'm not very educated on the topic, but with the rise of cities like Shanghai and Beijing becoming global cities, i would have thought the importance of HK to China has diminished rapidly... it no longer holds special place and value. Shanghai is as much as a commerce centre as HK is nowadays, no?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
I'm not very educated on the topic, but with the rise of cities like Shanghai and Beijing becoming global cities, i would have thought the importance of HK to China has diminished rapidly... it no longer holds special place and value. Shanghai is as much as a commerce centre as HK is nowadays, no?
China has targeted Shanghai to be an international finance city by 2020 and with that, the significance of HK will diminish. HK has been losing their competitive advantage and Singapore is always creeping around the corner.

Hong Kong DOES have the advantage over Shanghai and will always have it with the current currency control China places over the RMB. Without being able to float the Yuan, Shanghai can never become more dominant to HK. Not only this, the laws in China are not as transparent as in HK. HK was recently named the Best Place for Business (Hong Kong Beats Netherlands and U.S. as Best Place for Business - Bloomberg) and it's very easy for anyone to open up a business in HK unlike in China as the controls are tight.

Anyways, Hong Kong was once the gateway to China, but now HK has become to gateway to the west for China. With it's great financial and business stability, HK is important. The only question is, if China will allow Shanghai to be more "free" at the cost of China changing it's economic policies.

China needs a peaceful transition, and it starts in HK.
Quote:
My Feedback
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #166
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I see more and more of my friends going back to HK for better opportunities in the finance and engineering field as they can't find any jobs in Van. It was actually really easy for them to find a decent entry level job 10k+ with a lot of future potential. Keep in mind protests happen every where and as long as most people are fine with how things are run, protests won't get anywhere besides some minor temporary changes. HK seems fine to me from all my friends that have since moved back. Good opportunities, livable pay, and easy access to China.

I don't think universal suffrage is ever going to happen in HK. And I also doubt that people care anymore as they already know China would not allow that to happen, the protests I see don't even compare to some rallies in the states.

I was thinking about going to HK to work in a couple years, but then I don't have family there I could stay with to avoid the high cost of rent. I would much rather live in HK than China.

Last edited by fetched; 03-26-2012 at 12:53 AM.
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetched View Post
I don't think universal suffrage is ever going to happen in HK. And I also doubt that people care anymore as they already know China would not allow that to happen, the protests I see don't even compare to some rallies in the states.
Are you saying that from experience, or are you basing it on what you see on the news, and from your friends?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #168

From my experience, those who have good jobs don't really give a shit about universal suffrage. They just want to make their money and buy their stuff like which has always been the normal for HK.

Maybe it's my circle of friends, who cannot represent all of HK obviously. I am sure people do care, especially the post 80s. I do think a lot of people are just followers and want to complain (as its a HK thing to do). People just have the idea that democracy is great.

As Karl Marx once said "Democracy is the first step to socialism".
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #169
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
^ local people, yes, they care a lot, it's in their mindset not being the communist slave. For those who have the options or passport to live else where like us, probably no.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #170
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Will look forward to see CY's policy on housing and whether he can attract talents to be the CS, FS, and the secretary for the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau... Not sure if CY will be able to keep Norman Chan of Monetary Authority, who was the prodigy of Joseph Yam.

We all remember what happened back then when he was in the ExCo during Tung's reign.

Anyway, it will be a land of opportunity if sht hits the fan provided that you don't lose your jobs.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #171
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
hopefully I can afford to move back if I get hired
Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #172
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Are you saying that from experience, or are you basing it on what you see on the news, and from your friends?
Def not from the news, from my friends, their friends, and my parent's HK friends. They seem to be happy the way it is. As RFlush mentioned, most people just care about money and lifestyle, which wasn't at all affected after 97'. I also base my logic on the frequency and amount of actual protests in HK, which you mentioned in the previous post.

I'm sure if China took away youtube and facebook, there would be more outrage and protests than universal suffrage
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #173
Retired moderator

I live in Tai Po and lucky enough to live in a house, but it takes a lot of time to travel to the city and parking fees is a bitch here so I rather transit. I worked in Admiralty for a brokerage firm. There's definitely pros and cons to living here vs Van, but it's like that everywhere.

It's funny because I find myself meeting up with friends more in Hong Kong then I do in Vancouver, even if it takes me longer to get to them.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #174

Yeah Tai Po is waaaaaaay out there. Convenient if you work in china probably
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #175

tai po is nice the air is clean & its not super out there with nothing as my aunt lives there

Quote:

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote: