REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #76
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i love my mbna card! i didn't receive a check from them for a while, about 4 months, then got my 100 dollar check from them a couple days ago!
Advertisement
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #77
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
scotia scene visa is actually alright (if you watch movies).
it comes with a scene membership.

- spent $1 = 1 point
- for every movie ticket you buy (combined with scene membership), you get 100 points.
- 10% off for concessions

(note: you can redeem a general admittance ticket with 1000 points)
This card is pretty useless since a free SCENE membership gives you 10% off concession + 100 points per movie watched

For cash back you can just get the MBNA Rewards Travel card for straight 2% cashback with no annual fee (can't apply for this card, must upgrade from existing MBNA card). This is easily the best all-around cash back card out there for those who are unaware.

I've been trying to get my hands on the world version of this card (invite only) for a while now as some people were able to get it without the annual fee but have had no luck so far. The card looks like shit but the world version looks pretty nice.

Last edited by Oleophobic; 09-02-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #78
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I have a PC mastercard...how is it vs mbna?

We get 10 points for every dollar spent, and 1000 points is a dollar (every $1000 spent is $10 back)
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #79
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Screw MBNA... If you are getting 50 dollar checks every month, they will forget to send you some checks on purpose, I missed a couple of cheques and you would have to call them back and tell them which ones you missed.. Plus it takes 2 months to get your cheques which makes it easier for you to forget about your cheques.. Fuck you MBNA...
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #80
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
I have a PC mastercard...how is it vs mbna?

We get 10 points for every dollar spent, and 1000 points is a dollar (every $1000 spent is $10 back)

Read a page back.

Basically MBNA>PCMC

*edit sushi604 is now on board with the MBNA express.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #81
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Read a page back.

Basically MBNA>PCMC (unless you're Sushi604)
??? I said I was going to switch to MBNA a page back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi604 View Post
Nice! I was hoping to find someone who switched from PCMC to MBNA. The only benefit real benefit from the PC points was the bonus points you get when you shopped at any participating Loblaws consumer store. Considering that I seem to eat out more than I shop, the MBNA is starting to make more sense.

LOL damnit, now I need to apply to 2 cards!

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #82
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
I use a TD Drivers Rewards card. I don't pay annual fees, and the points you accumulate could be used towards parts or a car down the road
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #83
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
don't mind me jumping into the argument, but do you guys really use up all your credit to accumulate the cash back? and then pay off the balance in whole?

if not, then arguing about PCMC > MBNA is silly because you guys are arguing about who's right and wrong.

instead of standing for your argument, why not come up with the most optimal ways to utilize credit cards instead?

why not have PCMC for superstore (groceries) and MBNA for everything else. win win situation.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #84
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
don't mind me jumping into the argument, but do you guys really use up all your credit to accumulate the cash back? and then pay off the balance in whole?

if not, then arguing about PCMC > MBNA is silly because you guys are arguing about who's right and wrong.

instead of standing for your argument, why not come up with the most optimal ways to utilize credit cards instead?

why not have PCMC for superstore (groceries) and MBNA for everything else. win win situation.
Because MBNA offers 5% (first 6 months) for gas and groceries and 3% thereafter?

PCMC doesn't do any of that. The best way to optimize is to solely use MBNA under the circumstance you have provided.

However, if you want to go outside the box, you will need both the SC MBNA and Travel MBNA. Use SC for gas and groceries so you get 5%/3% then Travel for everything else so you get 2%.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #85
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by c32 View Post
Screw MBNA... If you are getting 50 dollar checks every month, they will forget to send you some checks on purpose, I missed a couple of cheques and you would have to call them back and tell them which ones you missed.. Plus it takes 2 months to get your cheques which makes it easier for you to forget about your cheques.. Fuck you MBNA...
I've had my card for just under 2 years now. Never have had any trouble with missed cheques.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #86
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Question regarding canceling credit cards - does my credit take a hit if I do so?
Maybe. It seems counter-intuitive, but I researched this a little while back, and read that it's actually better to leave the cards dormant than cancelling them.

Apparently cancelling a credit card can only do harm, not good. It may not significantly negatively affect your credit, but this is how it works.

If you've had a really bad credit history with the card you're cancelling, the bad history will remain even if you cancel the card.

However, if you've had a very good credit history with the card you're cancelling, you basically lose that good history immediately when you cancel the card.

Even if you have left the card dormant for years, that is "good" history.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #87
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post

Why do we have to use up all our credit to make this discussion worthwhile?

Yes, I always pay off my credit card balance in whole every month, unless I accidentally forget to make the payment.

I don't treat my credit cards as cash I don't have. I treat them simply as a convenient method of payment, and only if I have the cash to pay for it in the bank.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #88
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
However, if you want to go outside the box, you will need both the SC MBNA and Travel MBNA. Use SC for gas and groceries so you get 5%/3% then Travel for everything else so you get 2%.
Yep and if you need travel insurance just have a Capital One Aspire Cash handy since it has no annual fee and being a cardholder means you're covered for travel medical insurance for 22 days and if you need trip interruption and any other insurance you can simply pay for your trip with this card.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #89
I don't get it

Alright got the following:

Amazon.ca Visa card - This will be my go-to emergency vacation card + gas card in the states. 1% cash back on all eligible purchases, 2% back on amazon.ca purchases.

MBNA Rewards World Elite MasterCard - For everything else. 2% cash back on all eligible purchases (unsure if that means reoccurring costs like phone bills). Platinum level benefits, ie extended warranty and no annual fee.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch

Last edited by Sushi604; 09-17-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #90
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Hey guys,

I got a quick question regarding the current 60$ cash back rebate on the MBNA smartcash credit card, I realize the rebate is earned on approval of the card, but how do I receive the 60$ cash back exactly? Do they mail it to you? or...?
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #91
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Just curious, if you transfer from one credit card to other credit card, would the credit history would be affected?

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #92
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i was told to transfer a card from 1 type to another from a credit stand point it's cancelling your old one and signing up for a new one. i was told that by a CSR .... i think a specific CC company...might have been equifax but i doubt it...can't remember it was so long ago when i asked that question.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqin View Post
Hey guys,

I got a quick question regarding the current 60$ cash back rebate on the MBNA smartcash credit card, I realize the rebate is earned on approval of the card, but how do I receive the 60$ cash back exactly? Do they mail it to you? or...?
yeah they mail it from you. You have to request it from great canadian rebates though. It's in the options for payment. It takes about 2 months after the approval for you to be entitled to it though, so you're not going to get it right away if that was what you were thinking.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #94
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
yeah they mail it from you. You have to request it from great canadian rebates though. It's in the options for payment. It takes about 2 months after the approval for you to be entitled to it though, so you're not going to get it right away if that was what you were thinking.

Oh wow, hearing that makes the deal not as sweet anymore, none the less it's still a good card, cant beat that first 6 months with 5% cash back on gas and groceries! thanks for the quick reply.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #95
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
HR Amex and a TD emerald

TD is for everyday
Amex is for big purchases

A lot of times I wont work for a few months so the low interest of the TD is good.. means I can still eat and survive without getting butt raped by interest. Amex interest is butt rape, never miss a payment ever.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #96
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Just got my MBNA card. So with their cash back its done monthly and sent as a cheque not as a monthly credit on the balance? I used to use a TD 1% cashback and they used to just lump sum it at the end of the year..
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #97
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Noob question where and how do i sign up for this MBNA card
Posted via RS Mobile
Vansterdam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #98

Quote:
Oh wow, hearing that makes the deal not as sweet anymore, none the less it's still a good card, cant beat that first 6 months with 5% cash back on gas and groceries! thanks for the quick reply.
Still a sweet deal man, the $60 from great canadian rebates is just a bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
Just got my MBNA card. So with their cash back its done monthly and sent as a cheque not as a monthly credit on the balance? I used to use a TD 1% cashback and they used to just lump sum it at the end of the year..
Yeah the cheque gets issued at soon at the statement period is over and you've accumulated 5000 points, no need to wait until the start of the year like other credit cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
Noob question where and how do i sign up for this MBNA card
Posted via RS Mobile
MBNA SmartCash MasterCard - Cash Back Rebates & Online Coupons @ Great Canadian Rebates
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #99
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Why would it make the deal not as sweet anymore? It's $60 you never had in the first place. You'll get it, just need to wait awhile for them to verify your application was accepted by MBNA and that THEY got paid for the referral. That's how all cash back sites work.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #100
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
For cash back you can just get the MBNA Rewards Travel card for straight 2% cashback with no annual fee (can't apply for this card, must upgrade from existing MBNA card). This is easily the best all-around cash back card out there for those who are unaware.

I've been trying to get my hands on the world version of this card (invite only) for a while now as some people were able to get it without the annual fee but have had no luck so far. The card looks like shit but the world version looks pretty nice.
So to summarize:

MBNA Smart Cash Platinum +: 3%CB gas/groc + 1% CB everything else
MBNA Smart Cash World: same as Platinum + with price protection/concierge

MBNA Rewards Travel Platinum + (only through converting): 2% CB on everything
MBNA Rewards World Elite (only through converting) : same as Rewards Travel Platinum + with price protection/concierge

Did I get it right? I applied for the SC World last week..i'll try to convert to the rewards travel if this info is correct.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote