REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #326
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,720 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
To be precise - I actually have no income right now as a student. I'm surprise they even approved my Gold card. Might give the Plat a try towards the end of the year.

Sorry, you meant the lounge benefits WERE huge?
They are mostly gone now...
The lounge benefits changed? How so?
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #327
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
The lounge benefits changed? How so?
No more AA/US lounge access, CX Gold is gone (used to allow Oneworld lounge access no matter what class of ticket), Delta you can no longer guest people. Massive reduction compare to before.

Still have Plaza Premium and Priority Pass as well as the Amex lounges p, which isn't too bad. The new Amex Centurion lounges in LAS/DFW are amazing looking for North America.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #328
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

I rather sign up for Plat MR for 60,000 welcome bonus -> Self-refer for 15,000 referral -> Gold MR for 25,000 welcome bonus.

Total of 100,000 MR, with the same '$299 cost' as your example.

This then gives you the possibility to transfer 1:1 to Aeroplan...or if it ever happens, 1:1.5 to BA for 150,000 Avios.

But I don't currently have the income level for the Plat card(s)
more info on this card and deal please.

also, do they have blackout restrictions like the aeroplan cards?
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #329
Banned (ABWS)

Best credit card for first time ?? Im a student 1st year bcit looking for cashback or travel incentives preffered no annual fees but let me know what you think
inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #330

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
Best credit card for first time ?? Im a student 1st year bcit looking for cashback or travel incentives preffered no annual fees but let me know what you think
Do you have proof of income/employment?

I would just recommend you go for the MBNA Smart Cash.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #331
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I agree MBNA Smart card is pretty good for what it is: 5% back on gas/groceries for first 6 months. 2% on back after that. 1% back everything else. No annual fees.
ODStryker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #332
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
^^
Agreed. Straight forward card with no fees. None of that tiered bullshit where the first portion of your spending is only 0.x% then it gradually goes up. Just straight up 2% on gas and groceries and 1% on everything else.

I was pretty happy with that card but have finally moved on to a Travel Card instead.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #333

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
They can. But which kind of restaurants did you had in mind?
Would it work for something like the French Laundry?
I tried calling my Visa Infinite Concierge and they couldn't secure a reservation for me during my 4 day stay in Napa, was wondering if it would've been different had I had an Amex Plat or something.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #334

So I just applied for three credit cards and all were approved =D

1) AMEX Gold - 25,000 aeroplan points
2) AMEX Aeroplan Gold - 30,000 aeroplan points (with referral)
3) MBNA Choice Privileges Mastercard - 24,000 Choice points = 3 nights stay at their group hotels (1500 in North America)

The AMEX cards have the first year waived.
25,000 = Canada or Continental US
40,000 = Mexico, Carribean, Central America
45,000 = Hawaii
*all round trips

The MBNA Choice card bonus 24,000 points works out to about three nights stay at any of their hotels in N.America. This is an awesome deal for those who travel a lot and need a reasonable place to stay. This saves you over $300 in room fees if you get this card. It has no annual fee.

If you need a referral for the AMEX cards let me know. They are honestly the best rewards bonus cards to get right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #335
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
How are the flight restrictions when it comes to the AMEX Aeroplan Gold card?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
The flight restrictions are the exact same as the Aeroplan program itself, whether it is from TD, CIBC, or AMEX. You generally have to book your flight well in advance if you want to get the best selection.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #337

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Or just go for the Amex Personal Gold card.

Charge + buy any air ticket you want, from any company any website, for any dates + cabin...etc you want.

Then use your 25,000 MR (Member Rewards point) = $250 credit to pay off that transaction.

BA Avios and Aeroplan are great for redemption only if you're redeeming for business / first class tickets. If you're redeeming economy tickets, after you take into the fuel surcharge + taxes....and the shitty availability..it's just not worth it.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #338

Quote:
Or just go for the Amex Personal Gold card.

Charge + buy any air ticket you want, from any company any website, for any dates + cabin...etc you want.

Then use your 25,000 MR (Member Rewards point) = $250 credit to pay off that transaction.

BA Avios and Aeroplan are great for redemption only if you're redeeming for business / first class tickets. If you're redeeming economy tickets, after you take into the fuel surcharge + taxes....and the shitty availability..it's just not worth it.
If you convert the 25,000 MR points to Aeroplan, you get a way better value. For 25,000 Aeroplan points you can travel anywhere in Canada or the Continental USA, which is easily worth over $600+. Aeroplan is not as flexible obviously, but you can get so much more with it.
------

I also made a little blog with full instructions on how to sign up for these cards and some other details. So just click the link in my signature below if you need any more information. You can also PM as well.

Last edited by PeanutButter; 04-30-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #339
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
http://buytopia.ca/deal/7843

Not a bad credit card. Get a free $100 gift card on approval!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #340

I currently have have the rbc infinite Avion card and am thinking of changing to the rbc West jet world elite Mastercard.
I have been flying WestJet alot more often now and the 2% Westjet dollars rebate on WestJet purchases seems like a good reward.
The 99.99 companion flight is cool too, though most of my flying is done solo.

For those that have either either cards, which so you guys prefer? The world elite Mastercard? Or the infinite Avion?
Rbc will waive the annual fee of either card for me so that is not a factor.

I like the Avion since I can transfer my points to avios points at. 1.5x which is a good deal for international travel.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #341
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
So Ive been using the mbna card $50 cashback card for my credit purchases. scotiabank gave me an offer for the visa card with 10000 scene pts for joining up. should i switch over?
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #342
Old School RS

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,198 Posts
I personally am a big fan of the Avion, it's the only non Aeroplan currency that I have a dedicated card for. Actually, that's a lie, I also am rocking an SPG AmEx card, but for Visa, the RBC Avion is the way to go.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
I currently have have the rbc infinite Avion card and am thinking of changing to the rbc West jet world elite Mastercard.
I have been flying WestJet alot more often now and the 2% Westjet dollars rebate on WestJet purchases seems like a good reward.
The 99.99 companion flight is cool too, though most of my flying is done solo.

For those that have either either cards, which so you guys prefer? The world elite Mastercard? Or the infinite Avion?
Rbc will waive the annual fee of either card for me so that is not a factor.

I like the Avion since I can transfer my points to avios points at. 1.5x which is a good deal for international travel.
Thanks
Get both! You can have more than two cards, you know. Like lowside67, I rock the Amex SPG as well as the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite. I also have a bunch of other Amex cards for transfers to various airline partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronix View Post
So Ive been using the mbna card $50 cashback card for my credit purchases. scotiabank gave me an offer for the visa card with 10000 scene pts for joining up. should i switch over?
Depends... do you watch a lot of movies? It may not be worth it if you can make better use of your cashback cards.
fml
Old 06-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I personally am a big fan of the Avion, it's the only non Aeroplan currency that I have a dedicated card for. Actually, that's a lie, I also am rocking an SPG AmEx card, but for Visa, the RBC Avion is the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Get both! You can have more than two cards, you know. Like lowside67, I rock the Amex SPG as well as the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite. I also have a bunch of other Amex cards for transfers to various airline partners.

Well rbc will only waive one credit card fee for me.
I'm thinking of switching my Infinit Avion to the rbc signature reward card ($39 annual fee) and then apply for the world elite card. I got about 200k Avion points right now, and my understanding is that when want to cash those points in, I can upgrade my card back to the Infinit Avion and cash the points at a higher value that way.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #345
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I just signed up for a Platinum Avion Visa card.. What do you guys think of that one? Can't get the infinite avion quite yet which is why I got that one. I had the signature rewards one before. I've been doing a lot of travelling lately that's why I switched.. Plus all of my spendings/payments are made with the card. Could anybody give me their opinion?

I was hoping to get an AMEX gold next year so maybe I should've just stuck with the signature rewards??

Last edited by guurl; 08-20-2014 at 12:38 PM.
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #346
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I recently signed up for two AMEX's - the AEROPLAN GOLD (30K Aeroplan with referral) and the GOLD (25K Aeroplan).

If anyone needs a referral let me know - solid churn cards.
wycked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #347
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

can anyone recommend a good credit card for flying? a friend suggested the alaska airlines one, wondering if there are any better ones out there?
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
can anyone recommend a good credit card for flying? a friend suggested the alaska airlines one, wondering if there are any better ones out there?
What kind of flying do you want to do? Amex just lowered the Aeroplan Gold card's bonuses (no more First Year Free + 30K bonus from being referred) but the Membership Rewards Gold is still great at 25K Avios/Aeroplan and first year free.
fml
Old 09-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #349
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
What kind of flying do you want to do? Amex just lowered the Aeroplan Gold card's bonuses (no more First Year Free + 30K bonus from being referred) but the Membership Rewards Gold is still great at 25K Avios/Aeroplan and first year free.
looking to go to hawaii with the wife next year
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
looking to go to hawaii with the wife next year
Alaska is probably the best for that because of the Companion Fare for $99+taxes. Otherwise the Amex Gold Rewards Card is what I'd recommend. Do let me know if you'd like a referral to get the card. I would greatly appreciate it.
fml